Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Thanks guys for the compliments. Checkmate: the hasegawa kits in 48 are awesome... I wish I could build in that scale because you get so many cool details oob that I have to scratch. I should correct you that these are legacy hornets, not supers. Intakes are generally a bear in all kits... so much so that hasegawa neglects to add them in any of their 72nd version. Post some photos of your builds, and maybe we can give you some tips.

photo14.jpg

photo13.jpg

I ruined some of the decals like the star insignia and the numbers. if you notice, the 201 marking should be 200. I haven't installed the two 'spikes' near the nose and also the wheel covers.

It all started so well until I applied my acrylic wash. It did not come off! I should have applied a second coat of future and should noy have added that extra few drops of black acrylic paint.

Panel re scribing: I got a little to eager to re scribe and made some deep panel lines.

You know that feeling when you make mistakes and the enthusiasm that you had from the start just evaporated?

P.S. How do you glue to surfaces that has paint on it already? I used super glue which sometimes worked but it's jusy a mess.

Nice build!!! Very clean and professional paintjob!!

I agree! Anime52k8, can you post your paint/ color recipe? I love the paint job!

Edited by Checkmate

Nothing particularly special about the paint. It's all Tamiya Spray paints and Alclad II. Tamiya pure white and dark blue for the body, Alclad II magnesium over Tamiya Gloss black for the frame; Tamiya AS-4 Grey Violet with Alclad II aluminum for the gun; And Tamiya Gloss and Flat clear coats.

the only special thing I do is drain all the paints out of their respective spray cans and apply them with an airbrush (more control and it makes the paint go further). beyond that it's just 1 coat Tamiya grey primer, 1 coat Tamiya Fine white primer two wet coats of the each color (white, blue and black), last coat is Alclad then panel line with a Gundam real touch marker and decal, then seal everything with the proper clear coats.

I also dry and wet sand with 1500 grit sandpaper after each primer and color coat to get rid of any imperfections and unevenness in the surface. I like having a gloss surface on the final color coat so that I can apply decals without having to do an extra gloss coat. it also makes the alclad look much better and makes the matte clear smoother.

it's not completely perfect though, I'm still not great with masking (had a little bit of bleed and some rough edges) and the clear coat wrinkled the color on the shield a little bit.

Great job on that GN-X. I wish I could achieve that silky smooth flatness. You use a Tamiya rattle can flat/matte but decanted?

modelglue

yep. I like Tamiya Lacquers a lot. I actually prefer using it or Mr. Hobby super clear over future when I can. The only thing is I suck with rattle cans. I end up laying down way to much at once, wasting paint and messing up the underlying color.

Nice CLEAN build anime52k8! It came out great depiste the "mistakes" you mentionmed that aren't visible.

The Superhornet looks great too Checkmate! The weathering looks great and very realistic! - MT

finally done

9205540410_34949d73c9_b.jpg

GN-X by Mike - drowning in plastic, on Flickr

9205536798_4ab057c011_b.jpg

9202744029_88b58543db_b.jpg

Beautiful paintscheme! I love it!

I felt I needed a break from sci-fi modeling so I picked this up over the weekend off Amazon for $30 which I thought was a great deal! I only built airplanes back when I was a teenager so I've always wanted to try a model of this awesome aircraft!

p.s. this will be my first Hasegawa kit as well.

post-11393-0-18050900-1373212568_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-09613900-1373212584_thumb.jpg

Edited by derex3592

I couldn't believe the $30 price when I saw this on Amazon. $30 for a 1:48 Hasegawa! I'm so used to the $60-90 range.

That's what I had always seen as well....not sure how I'm gonna do the camouflage paint job...may take a bit of creative license with it and paint it like an F-15 Strike Eagle dark grey kinda scheme. Think I'm gonna also go for in flight mode on some sort of custom stand...not that all those landing gear parts and missile rail system don't look like fun and all buuuuut....yeh...LOL

..may take a bit of creative license with it and paint it like an F-15 Strike Eagle dark grey kinda scheme.

I'm liking this idea and the one you pointed out in that dark blue metallic looking scheme. I'm also liking the 7th one in if you counted from top left to bottom right.

I'm still shaking my head over that deal you got, congratulations. :)

modelglue

Something like row 3 bottom left...also found this cool aggressor custom a guy did...

I recognize every scheme but that one in the corner as being real, so I'm thinking it may be, just have to find what pane wore it...

The Hasegawa 1/48 Raptor been at the $30 mark for a while at online hobby stores. I think some of the complaints were the surface details being too 'over done'. My only complaint was it was in the wrong scale. :p I literally have a squadron of F-22 kits in 1/72 scale from Revell, Fujimi and Academy so the picture posted by derex3592 will come in handy

A quick search on Google shows the F-22 paintscheme image originating from DeviantArt by an artist named Kryptid Supposedly that bottom left scheme is based on the B-2

Edited by Space_Monkey

Finally got my acrylic case from J Display Products. long wait, but worth it! Good price and it fits PERFECTLY!!! Highly recommended. In other news...been working on my Viper pilot and cockpit finally. Im happy with the pilot and cockpit. The rest of this kit is gonna take a good bit of time. Not the best fit I've ever seen. Sorry for the sideways iPad pics...

post-11393-0-18606400-1373415965_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-86377800-1373415986_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-26420000-1373416016_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-97663700-1373416034_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-84701100-1373416053_thumb.jpg

You know...sometimes I question why I even do this hobby....Just ordered Viper Mk 2 NUMBER 2 off Amazon.. :angry::angry::angry: .I screw up kits so quick it's not even funny. :angry::angry::angry: Then I get mad, throw things and punch things. For example----30 minutes ago all I needed to do was spray paint with cheap black spray paint the inside of the body and engine parts black just so it would look dark inside the front nose and in some other parts. So I mask off the outside, step to the back yard and use a fairly new can of cheap spray paint which I have used before for something or another and it worked fine. Started spraying and it just turned into this muck of rough gritty sh*t that I can't even explain. So off to the garage with a LOT of paint thinner and a toothbrush...5 minutes later I gave up, swearing loudly and threw it in the trash...Now my hands are still slightly black, I smell like thinner and I just burned another $22.00 that I didn't want to spend. Anybody else out there have my kind of luck??? I don't know how guys around here get such good looking paint jobs on every outing. Granted this kit kinda SUCKS, poor design and all, it AIN'T a Finemolds...but still. I AM F*CKING FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!!!!

Go get it out of the trash and put it in a shoe box for a time when you have more patience.

I put things away all the time when it's just not going right. I think I have about one model out of every ten that goes smoothly... but there is always something however minor that just doesn't work. Its that 'life is a balance' thing people keep talking about...I think. :huh:

But seriously, try it again another day. Might have just been humid.

modelglue

Not digging it out of the trash, I broke the body in half in frustration. It was horribly hot and humid...but it's freaking TX...lol...not really ever not this time of year. Should have just paid my $45 and gotten the pre finished one they offering now apparently!!! Have you guys seen those? They have a viper, a raider, and a Galactica all pre finished.

Yeah I have those days too derex, and have ruined my share of kits. Over these couple of yrs. I've learned that when I'm working on a kit and more than 3 things go wrong one after another one, I just put it down and go do something else like watching tv, or go on MW or transform some valks or even take out my finished models and study them to remind myself of how I did things or how not to run into the same problems again and look for short cuts if I know it's not gonna come out the way I want it. Especially paint jobs. Sometimes I give myself days, even weeks until I get back to working on it.

I've slam dunked broken kits into my garbage can out of frustration at times,but I always dig them out again to save just in case I want to try out a new AB technique or use them as practice kits/guinea pigs.

No biggie, everyone has bad days every now and then. I say grab a couple of beers and hit the forums and see how everyone else pulls off magic on the worktable. You would be amazed how much useful information, tips , and tricks you can find in the archive MW forums.

Good luck and don't sweat it. It's just a piece if plastic after all! :)

Edited by erikos0311