Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Thanks Noyhauser for sharing those tips! Those who haven't gotten the Ttrytool sets - you're missing out! I love mine and I just use the stock needle that comes with one of the two (I sharpened it slightly).

It's good to see your Yamato coming along. That deck bothers me too. The aftermarket wood deck kits are still from a solid shaved piece of wood so even though they have 1/32" spaced lines, the wood grain comes out funny when you coat it. Micro mark sells some proper decking, but it only goes as small as 1/16" - too wide.

That has been a major head scratcher for me. I really considered going to the wood deck (and I still toy with the idea) because it just looks nice. Most people wouldn't appreciate that I've got the correctly weathered color of japanese spruce because its a brownish light gray. Going to wood "looks awesome" because, well, it looks like wood. I'm considering maybe adding more brown to the tone in order to make it pop a bit more. Unfortunately recribing sapped a lot of energy from the build and I plodded along with it. Its also a money pit. PE with barrels was about 200 dollars alone. I've got to buy a turret correction set for 60 dollars, because, well, the nichimo turrets are wrong in shape. Its just one cost after another.

The problem I have with that is that you might lose the cockpit detail. In most cases I have an elaborately done up cockpit and if there is a leak or something... well that hard work goes away.

Oh, yeah. I totally didn't think about that. :unsure:

Personally I've never had to strip an entire fuselage (usually it's gundam kits or scale car bodies). but if you have painted details you can't get access too you probably are SOL.

Thanks for the panel scribing info though. I've always wanted to try it but always figured I'd screw something up.

Oh, yeah. I totally didn't think about that. :unsure:

Personally I've never had to strip an entire fuselage (usually it's gundam kits or scale car bodies). but if you have painted details you can't get access too you probably are SOL.

Thanks for the panel scribing info though. I've always wanted to try it but always figured I'd screw something up.

Hey, its a good idea that a lot of people use for cars or gundams, like you do. With planes however I usually have to be more focused on a specific area in order to avoid wrecking a lot of other details that took a long time to work on.

Scribing take a bit of practice, but having rulers and templates help...

...as does the realization that you can just fill it in with putty and do it over again. ;)

Edited by Noyhauser

Small scale Rei is almost finished

*low whistle* That looks to be roughly in the neighborhood of 1/18 scale. I do custom action figures that size, and I don't think I've ever gotten a paint job that crisp. I see no rough edges on any of those different colors.

I'm still working on my U.S.S. Hobb Creek. Just started working on the decal sheet, and testing the sizes of the various markings, before I finalize colors and commit to printing on actual decal paper.

uss_hobbcreek10.jpg

Yes, I have an in universe reason for the improbable registry that this and the other ships in its project have.

I had to do a double take on the name there.. I read it as "U.S.S. Hobo Creek" :lol:

Honestly, now I'm tempted to make a couple of joke starships with goofy names, using some of the tiny models I've picked up for cheap over the years. Remember those old AMT "Enterprise Incident" kits that had the TOS Enterprise and two Klingon D-7s? I don't recall the circumstances of the purchase, but I somehow acquired three of those kits for ludicrously cheap prices, and have a stockpile of the electronics from them.

The ship name that comes to mind at the moment though is the USS PennyArcade, NCC-1337. :p

Oh man, those Alclad blues, WMCheng, it breaks my heart to see this sort of thing, when you poured so much time already into the project. I have an odd relationship with Alclad - I love its initial finish, but I have seen it 'crack' - specifically over resin + tamiya gloss black on a couple of different projects. On both of these I have clear coated gloss, so I wonder if it is to do with that. Or maybe it's natural expansion issues of the subject. I always put on a 'Future' substitute (acrylic) and then oil wash over this. I haven't run into your issue yet doing this.

As it stands, I think just starting again is probably the best option. At this size, cleaning the model will destroy it somewhat, and possibly make the plastic chemically active again which could have repercussions later on down the track with future coats of paint...

Resin can expand & contract much more than styrene depending on it's make up. Some are very temperature stable, others... not so much. I've found that Alclad's black enamel works best in that situation. Nice thing is you can get it in a big bottle.

I too have found the "the more you seal the better" with both the base surface and the final surface. Just don't matte coat it... it's an interesting effect but not what I was planning on (thought I'd grabbed the gloss coat)

Will try and take some better pictures as the BEAST continues its upgrades & paint. Its been raining or overcast all week, sorry for the not so awesome pics!

Buts heres a few before & after paint shots.

post-6180-0-01770500-1371398203_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-21724200-1371398210_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-91743700-1371398212_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-16376200-1371398215_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-03083400-1371398218_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-77769800-1371398221_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-82975700-1371398224_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-83091100-1371398228_thumb.jpg

Believe it or not,I am making progress on my current build.

post-12411-0-94957900-1371807772_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-24900700-1371807778_thumb.jpg

These will probably be the last pics I'll post, though, until it's complete. Gotta leave some suspense!

technically it's not on a workbench but I've actually been working on something for the first time in two and a half years.

now if only I didn't suck.

post-4286-0-35829500-1371947318_thumb.jpgpost-4286-0-10640700-1371947327_thumb.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

Update:

Been so busy with Toy pre-orders and collecting that I forgot I had 2 hase kits unfinished.

Finally finished adapting the weapon sets on my Roy and started to finish the decals on my hikaru.

Should be getting the vf-1s hikaru gerwalk done in the next days or so.

post-15185-0-35289000-1371961631_thumb.jpg

post-15185-0-37571600-1371961650_thumb.jpg

post-15185-0-80204700-1371961758_thumb.jpg

post-15185-0-12462100-1371961798_thumb.jpg

Update:

Been so busy with Toy pre-orders and collecting that I forgot I had 2 hase kits unfinished.

Finally finished adapting the weapon sets on my Roy and started to finish the decals on my hikaru.

Should be getting the vf-1s hikaru gerwalk done in the next days or so.

Gerwalk kitbash Hasegawa VF-1, awesome!!

This is a nice design from Gundam 00, are you going with the standard colors?

I put mine in a clone trooper outfit:

I'm going with something custom, I'm sort of making it up as I go.

OOoooh, it glows! :D The lighting effect looks great - I didn't really notice the difference in flicker rates (I haven't been on any starships lately). I hope to see the rest of it running soon!- MT