Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Thanks! I actually did!! Finally!! New kind of primer at Home Depot...same kind as before, but says "now bonds to plastic". Did 3 to 4 more coats of that over the weekend and she is now light blocked. Pain in the ass though. Gonna airbrush base color this weekend hopefully.

That looks fantastic derex!! Love the eggcartons, they look so good in this use. Did you modify the kit to have 3 landing gears for ANH?

@ Derex: Damn, that is a gorgeous diorama!

@ WM-sensei: That is possibly the most beautiful VF-25 build I've ever seen, and ample warning for me to stay away from even attempting to build one. I wouldn't know how to begin fixing that broken hinge myself.

After months of trying to figure it out, I finally made a base for my fine molds millennium falcon model... All materials were less than $20 total. Little tiny stormtroopers were $15..all in all... I call it a win.. :-). Just need to get an acrylic cover for it at this point and I will be done.

You, sir, are a genius.

Now I know what to do with all those old bits of packing material left over from my stereo components! :lol:

Thanks! For anyone who is interested.. the base is a $7 blackboard from Hobby Lobby. I sprayed the wooden edge of it gloss black with spray paint. Then I found a roll of vinyl mat "sand" material for the base that model railroad guys use--(those guys use some VERY cool stuff for scenery--hint..Macross dioramas might be coming soon..) :ph34r: . Anyways...the cardboard was the packing material from my new electric shaver sawed in half. The texture and shapes were just too perfect not to use creatively for something! I cut some more "sand" for the back walls. Used 3M spray adhesive to glue down the "sand" to the base and cardboard to the back walls.

Thanks! For anyone who is interested.. the base is a $7 blackboard from Hobby Lobby. I sprayed the wooden edge of it gloss black with spray paint. Then I found a roll of vinyl mat "sand" material for the base that model railroad guys use--(those guys use some VERY cool stuff for scenery--hint..Macross dioramas might be coming soon..) :ph34r: . Anyways...the cardboard was the packing material from my new electric shaver sawed in half. The texture and shapes were just too perfect not to use creatively for something! I cut some more "sand" for the back walls. Used 3M spray adhesive to glue down the "sand" to the base and cardboard to the back walls.

Derex, is the vinyl "sand" mat better than rough sanding paper for depicting sand in a diorama?

In other news the enterprise D project has been officially canceled. All the coats of primer and black paint were too thick to use an X-Acto knife to scrape the windows effectively. I got frustrated and then this happened. Anyone interested in buying the aztek decals and the lighting supplies I have purchased?..lol.. Maybe someday ill buy another kit and try again. I do not think the guys YouTube build I was following was completely honest with how he did the light block coats. Whatever. Next. :-(

post-11393-0-53216100-1363046182_thumb.jpg

It was incredibly brittle. I was super nervous about drilling a hole for a rod to go through the bottom of it to sit on. Oh well, I fished the lower hull out of the trash, I'm gonna see if I can use it as a test bed, try and strip everything off and start over and try other methods so when I buy another kit, I'll have a better plan! In the meantime, I have a few Macross kits to work on...;-)

Nice paint scheme 505th! I like the colors.

That sucks Derex! I feel for ya man! I've had a few crashes like that. As of Saturday, my scratchbuilt 1/100 Monster is now three barreled and a little "skinny" because I wasn't watching the table I set it on and bumped into it. Time for some glue and paint patching :( - MT

Thank God that fix worked! ... I should of started out on a easier kit. I guess I'm just rusty. But yeah, that's 3 hinges I've broken in the last 2 months - argh! I'm too impatient. However, this is the best of the Bandai bunch (love the tabs that lock everything together) - although I haven't built the Tornado one yet which I hear is just as good. Might have to consider the RVF-25 next as I missed out on that pre-order as well...

Well, 85hrs later... some quick shots at my workbench with a piece of black card to hide my mess...

Only the gunpod and reaction missiles left... and a transformation into the Battroid mode to see what I have to repair. :unsure:

Wow, that looks gorgeous. I really like the choice of colors too. Much better looking than the purple on the radiator fins and guns and such on the toy version.

Hey Wasabi, here are some extra pics of the customs I did. I forgot the 321 arms were broke too. I'm definitely saving up and getting a few of those 1/60 kits for customs. The old V.1's are just not that good. Also the heatshield emblem is the Bunny used on the VF-0A's. B))

post-6180-0-13194100-1363315232_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-51165700-1363315285_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-78427100-1363315287_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-42989800-1363315290_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-06420900-1363315293_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-11560700-1363315295_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-84532400-1363315297_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-06265300-1363315300_thumb.jpg

WARNING!!! While normal Hasegawa decals require 20-30 seconds in hot water to get loose, the Cartograph decals that usually come in the limited edition kits only take 5-10 seconds! Take care!!!

(it was a wing decal that got a little wonky)

That civil defense Tomahawk IS cool looking! I could see that actually being used today.

Congrat Wasabi-san on the marriage! You've gotta post photos of the egg plane and chessboard when done!

The Raptor came out great! I like your diorama with the tooling. It makes it more believable!

Being blessed with tax a good return and a very understanding wife, I was FIANLLY able to purchase a lathe. More on that in another thread, but it needed a base to attach to. All my drawers are getting filled with other tooling so I thought I'd make a cabinet with a drawer instead of just sticking the lathe on a shelf piece. Now it all fits together it's portable (40lbs) so I can use it wherever needed. I cheated, I simply went to Lowes, got oak planks (oak for strength) and boarding the right length and saved 2/3rds the time! I did have to make an oak dowel to plug the front screw holes (shown). Then I used a wax finish. The cabinet will be subject to lubricants for cutting metal and the wax will protect it the best without marring. After seeing thousand year old pine benches in English churches protected with wax, I figured I couldn't go wrong! And for those of you saying, "dude, where's the styrene?" it's in there too. The last photo is making a part for the 1/350 Monster. - MT

post-2518-0-89066000-1363553130_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-11773500-1363553158_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-78085300-1363553174_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-57896200-1363553206_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-08200600-1363553288_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-45773600-1363553318_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-87866200-1363553353_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-14610200-1363553448_thumb.jpg

Edited by MechTech

Thanks MT, you must be a kid in the candy store with that new lathe!!

Myersjessee, that is one frakking good looking Raptor. The display and detail are superb including that helmet! On a related BSG note, got the Blood & Chrome CD.... track 12! B))

So sorry to hear that Derex - but unfortunately I totally understand... "been there, done that!" My wife doesn't understand why I like to build models as all she hears about are the problems and a constant stream of swearing from the basement! It does seem like more goes wrong that goes right sometimes - maybe the mistakes are just bigger emotionally (at least for me!) but they're how I learned.

That is fantastic weathering Myersjessee - beautifully finished as always!