HG and Robotech Debates

... if memory serves, the 3 mounds are in the middle of the wilderness, in SC.

So... what happened? Were the structures under construction later moved out of the city? If so, why couldn't they do that right away? Comic version makes even less sense in their attempt to explain... :wacko:

Welcome to the Yunieverse, where things that didn't make much sense get even more convoluted and full of crap than before.

The canon reboot comics show those mounds under construction, circa 2015, showing that they contain massive chunks of wreckage

Except, per Robotech.com:

Q: What is the definitive source of events in the Robotech universe when discrepancies arise in continuity?

- Anonymous

A: The original television series is the primary source of story continuity for the Robotech universe. Subsequently published material (including The Sentinels) represents secondary continuity. All future works are based upon the core continuity presented in the original series, which can also be supplemented by material from secondary sources where it supports the storyline of the television episodes. Where conflicts arise, consistency with events of the television episodes takes priority.

Errors occasionally can (and do) occur under rapid production schedules, and some of these discrepancies can be found in even in the original television episodes - though these are usually minor. Such errors are corrected wherever possible in future published works with overall continuity with the television episodes remaining the final word.

These subjects are covered in more depth in the bibliography FAQs.

- Tommy Yune

Once again why is there a city right next to it?

A military base I can understand. But not a city. Wouldn't the birth rate Jump dramatically?

Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to be baffled by their bullsh*t...

Or, to put it another way... I have no bloody idea why there's a city next to it, other than that the crash went down in the middle of the city originally. Honestly, I'm not sure what part of this confuses me more... that they seem to have rebuilt the entire city when they'll just be abandoning it and removing all trace of it from the area when the domes are finished, or that the whole affair somehow up and moved from central Alaska to either Thunder Bay or central Michigan without anyone noticing. :rolleyes:

... if memory serves, the 3 mounds are in the middle of the wilderness, in SC.

So... what happened? Were the structures under construction later moved out of the city? If so, why couldn't they do that right away? Comic version makes even less sense in their attempt to explain... :wacko:

Just don't think about it... the more you do, the more confused you'll make yourself. It doesn't make sense, so you shouldn't try to make sense of it. It's like dividing by zero: you can try, but all you'll do is frustrate yourself and make a big damn mess.

See what I meant, guys? Nothing makes a Robotech fan RAGE harder than a straight and official answer to a question. A great example of the RT thought process at work here... "Screw evidence! So long as I can claim the evidence is WRONG I can go on claiming whatever I want and expect it to be true!"

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Weren't they constructed to contain the radiation.

if so why is there a city right next to it.

And why do they attack so much dirt? Are they reverse polarized or something?

Yeah, but if you believe anything Robotech.com says, then you'd also have to believe there's a live action movie coming, and anyone who asks a legitimate question really is a troll :)

And why do they attack so much dirt? Are they reverse polarized or something?

Let's just say "A wizard did it." and leave it at that... it's far and away the sanest explanation for what's going on. :lol:

Alrighty then. But just so everyone knows, there's no way anyone can make me watch SEED Destiny.

Bah! As easy as it was to talk you into watching an appalling mess like Robotech, they could get you to watch anything. :p

Alrighty then. But just so everyone knows, there's no way anyone can make me watch SEED Destiny.

SEED Destiny is a freakin' cakewalk compared to Robotech. Most of us could understand that Gundam show in our sleep, while drunk, or even with the worst hangover ever, compared to RT.

I'm so confused. :unsure:
Really...you should watch Robotech. Then you would really have no idea what you're talking about.

Told ya. :p

See what I meant, guys? Nothing makes a Robotech fan RAGE harder than a straight and official answer to a question. A great example of the RT thought process at work here... "Screw evidence! So long as I can claim the evidence is WRONG I can go on claiming whatever I want and expect it to be true!"

:rolleyes:

You know, I really want to say something but I don't want to get banned on a second website because of your inane comments.

ok i think i see what Brookie is saying

he's saying the episode in question does not confirm (nor deny apparently) the existence of a giant spaceship that only certain people can see or hear being near the Macross.

and that some later episode of the show does the off screen cover up by saying only the Macross is somehow in a mound of flowers.

of course, everyone else must be really stupid to believe otherwise because clearly the all powerful dialog in Robotech does not support the idea

I mean, it's not like someone out there would start claiming random background fighter jets are variable fighters based on snippets of dialog or anything.

This is why you're not supposed to ask questions about trivial stuff in Robotech. You get interpretations for stuff that isn't answered. As well, when it is answered, like in the Tommy comics (Tomics), you gotta think, either the story holds, and the RDF/REF, Southern Cross are just stupid imbeciles, or it doesn't hold, and is just a proverbial swiss cheese of plot holes. Either way, the quality idea factory for this franchise has been long gone from HG for years and years.

Why can't it be okay to just say Harmony Gold and Robotech stretched willing suspension of disbelief beyond its breaking point after 26 years? I'm sorry if people invested a lot of time and money into it, but the creative forces behind the scenes are pretty much implying it as projects drag on. They make Fire Bomber more believable at this point.

Edited by Einherjar

So,, doesn't he kind of flat out say that his change to the Mospeada ending along with Shadow Chronicles itself is relegated to secondary continuity? Stop me if I'm wrong guys.

Edited by mrhillz

So,, doesn't he kind of flat out say that his change to the Mospeada ending along with Shadow Chronicles itself is relegated to secondary continuity? Stop me if I'm wrong guys.

Hmmm, the t.v show supercedes the movie, and the movie supercedes the t.v. show, since both are supposedly canon. They're going to implode on each other, and cancel each other out.

If only there was something HG could do to fix the myriad of canon problems they have. Like if there was a way they could completely re-drawn the series so that they could include stupid things like SDF-2's, and an earlier lineage of alpha fighter that looks similar to the later varients. Man, if only that were possible...

If only there was something HG could do to fix the myriad of canon problems they have. Like if there was a way they could completely re-drawn the series so that they could include stupid things like SDF-2's, and an earlier lineage of alpha fighter that looks similar to the later varients. Man, if only that were possible...

Yeah, if only the current creative staff had any actual talent. It's really too bad they're all so apathetic to their own franchise that they can't be arsed to actually make something of it.

oh wait... were you being sarcastic? :unsure:

Edited by anime52k8

Yeah, if only the current creative staff had any actual talent. It's really too bad they're all so apathetic to their own franchise that they can't be arsed to actually make something of it.

oh wait... where you being sarcastic? :unsure:

The robotech franchise is a sarcasm black hole. The more you throw at it, the truer it rings :)

oh wait... were you being sarcastic? :unsure:

Creative staff? You mean the board room meeting where Tommy Yune talks to a conference table full of Tommy Yune cardboard cut outs?

Creative staff? You mean the board room meeting where Tommy Yune talks to a conference table full of Tommy Yune cardboard cut outs?

They're the only ones who can hack his constant barrage of the same powerpoint presentaiton without taking a sledgehammer to his laptop.

You know, I really want to say something but I don't want to get banned on a second website because of your inane comments.

HE CAN BE TAUGHT! :lol:

Admittedly, a trenchant remark or two wouldn't do you any good in this situation anyway... you don't just resemble that remark, you're fairly well known as one of the foremost practitioners of that particular "tactic". I didn't even need to say it, someone already beat me to the punch:

I mean, it's not like someone out there would start claiming random background fighter jets are variable fighters based on snippets of dialog or anything.

This is why you're not supposed to ask questions about trivial stuff in Robotech. You get interpretations for stuff that isn't answered. As well, when it is answered, like in the Tommy comics (Tomics), you gotta think, either the story holds, and the RDF/REF, Southern Cross are just stupid imbeciles, or it doesn't hold, and is just a proverbial swiss cheese of plot holes.

Hm... well, both are actually the case. When you get right down to it, the former case is most often the truth when it comes to those Robotech stories created on Tommy Yune's watch, while the latter case is almost invariably the case with the Robotech properties released under Carl Macek. The work done under Carl Macek was done quickly and inexpertly, and thus was shot through with so many screw-ups that there were more plot holes than plot points. Tommy came along years later and made his valiant (doomed) effort to spackle over some of the more egregious plot holes by blaming a fair amount of it on inept or outright treasonous leaders (particularly Leonard), or simple naivete on the part of certain characters.

When you get right down to it, it's the difference between simply being a lousy writer (of fan-fiction) and being generally inept.

Either way, the quality idea factory for this franchise has been long gone from HG for years and years.

Now that's exceedingly generous... what makes you assume there was ever a "quality idea factory" there to begin with? I doubt it's coincidental that the quality of new Robotech material took a nosedive from "poor" to "criminally bad" right around the time that Carl Macek and company started trying to write their own original material.:p

He broke the code! He broke the code!

Hmmm, the t.v show supercedes the movie, and the movie supercedes the t.v. show, since both are supposedly canon. They're going to implode on each other, and cancel each other out.

We can only hope.

I don't know what they did to Claude Leon in Robotech but in Southern Cross he's just your basic inflexible military leader guy. Like seriously, he big plan throughout this whole thing is just, "keep fighting them even if they nearly wipe us out several times over but hey if I send in main characters maybe they'll win." This kind of character is in a lot of mecha and sci-fi shows in Japan especially so I don't see what's so unique about him.

Huh... I don't remember radiation having anything to do with it, but then I try to avoid thinking about Robotech whenever I can. Just for you, I checked the official Shadow Chronicles art book on this matter (and then bleached my hands), and it says they built the mounds to conceal the protoculture matrix and contain the spores of the flowers of life.

Wait what?

Its been a while since I heard dialogue, but here goes.

The three mounds represented the remains of the SDF-1 & 2, Khyron's ship and Macross city. The "intense" radiation was mentioned by the narrator at some point in Southern Cross.

So Seto...by the art book they've totally messed up (again) continuity? The matrix was the ONE thing the Zentraedi were after the entirety of Macross. So by this the "creative" staff have blundered again and ignored a HUGE plot point? If it was known to be there why the frell was it left behind or more importantly not used against the Masters?

Contain the Flowers? They mutated throughout the series not after the...you know what, I'm going to stop before my head explodes...

See, I keep tellin' ya'll, a complete franchise reboot would solve all their problems. No more mooching, no more pulling stories out of their asses...oh wait.

Just imagine how hard it would be for Rick to choose between Minmay & Lisa if they both had the same big fake titied stripper body!

Just imagine how hard it would be for Rick to choose between Minmay & Lisa if they both had the same big fake titied stripper body!

Bad luck for him that Lisa ended up with a "Male"(*) body instead, she still looks better then she did in The Sentinels though.

(*) - Check out the prelude comics, she just had a female head stuck on one of the male bodies (as we all know, the new stuff only have buff male bodies and overly proportioned female ones)

Bad luck for him that Lisa ended up with a "Male"(*) body instead, she still looks better then she did in The Sentinels though.

(*) - Check out the prelude comics, she just had a female head stuck on one of the male bodies (as we all know, the new stuff only have buff male bodies and overly proportioned female ones)

In order to do that, I'd have to check out the prelude comic..

you know, in light of how successful the TOS-R run of remastered Star Trek episodes was, and TNG is currently next on the list, with HG owning the images in the US for Macross, etc... what's stopping them from remastering the films they own? its not like the series could NOT benifite from some of the sloppier animated segments... or can they? has who ever that owned Macross in japan considered the same?

Edited by pensives_wetness

you know, in light of how successful the TOS-R run of remastered Star Trek episodes was, and TNG is currently next on the list, with HG owning the images in the US for Macross, etc... what's stopping them from remastering the films they own? its not like the series could NOT benifite from some of the sloppier animated segments... or can they? has who ever that owned Macross in japan considered the same?

rm...do you mean remastering, or remaking...? 'Cause if it's remastering, both the US and Japan have done that, separately...

well the term 'Remastered' was used but paramount because that's exactly what they did... so i suppose remaking/correcting might be a better term... but remastered is the term that might make the sell at Best Buy or Walmart, so to speak...

You'll have to settle with another DVD set from A&E. Supposedly louder (enhanced audio) and brighter (better picture quality) than the last set with legitimate remastering work done on The Sentinels. It makes sense because that footage is actually theirs.

http://www.crunchyro...-bonus-material

Edited by Einherjar

I don't know what they did to Claude Leon in Robotech but in Southern Cross he's just your basic inflexible military leader guy. Like seriously, he big plan throughout this whole thing is just, "keep fighting them even if they nearly wipe us out several times over but hey if I send in main characters maybe they'll win."

Eh... put simply, Claude Leon really got it in the shorts during the adaptation process.

At some point in the process of adapting Southern Cross into Robotech, Claude Leon went from being merely inflexible as a leader to being a complete and total arse. Editing and rewriting changed his characterization and made him into an arrogant, caustic, and excessively confrontational commander with a mildly racist/xenophobic attitude. The fan base's antipathy for Commander Leonard definitely contributed to the Masters Saga's position as the least popular Robotech saga by a MASSIVE margin, and it lives on as a part of Tommy Yune's rebooted Robotech universe. Under the new creative director, Leonard upped the ante from just being a jerk and went full-blown villain when the limited comic series Robotech: From the Stars established that he was actually a spy working for Robotech's equivalent of the Anti-UN Alliance and trying to destroy the United Earth Government from within. Among other stuff, Leonard worked to sabotage development of the VF-1, staged attacks on aircraft carrying civilians, and orchestrated an attempted coup that involved hijacking an ARMD and using its reflex warheads to wipe out the three major UEG military bases on Earth (and succeeded in nuking one off the map, and possibly a grand cannon as well).

The three mounds represented the remains of the SDF-1 & 2, Khyron's ship and Macross city. The "intense" radiation was mentioned by the narrator at some point in Southern Cross.

I dunno about the bit where the three mounds are supposed to contain the remains of the SDF-1, SDF-2, and Khyron's ship... they only say it contains the SDF-1, but the new comics show Khyron's ship in another one of the domes, so it's all gravy there. There's no mention of radiation of any kind in the Shadow Chronicles art book tho...

So Seto...by the art book they've totally messed up (again) continuity?

What part of that comes as a surprise?

Contain the Flowers? They mutated throughout the series not after the...you know what, I'm going to stop before my head explodes...

Please do... spontaneous cranial explosion sounds like a real pain to clean up after...

Heh... he didn't seem to have much trouble in the old Sentinels comics, and they were both pretty much that way even back then.