HG and Robotech Debates

At least with a "Robotech 7", there'd be an original to fall back on. With Shadow Chronicles, there's nothing to make it better.

Eh, I think if they went back and cel-shaded that godawful CGI in Shadow Chronicles it would at least improve so as to not look like drek. It would then just be piss-poor storytelling.

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

Just got a sneak peak at the newest release of Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles. They're adding in Lron's son Dardo as the new Karbarran Ambassador...

NewKarbarranAmbassador.jpg

What I've always wondered is why they named the kitty cat planet Garuda, which is, in Hinduism, a bird with golden wings and flown by Vishnu. I know it's not important, but they could've been a little more creative than just picking up books, closing your eyes, opening a page, and randomly picking a name. Either that, or make them bird like people, and make a more direct correlation.

Edited by Jasonc

My buddy and I were talking on the phone about stuff, nothing in particular, and that ad came into the topic. He told me that there was this long conspiracy that Macross purists put out the ad because they knew that Robotech fans would buy the DVDs, then look for that character, then we'd supposedly point the way to Frontier, and try to "convert" them. After a few minutes of laughing hard, I said, "I should write on MW that I made it, and let him go into a frenzy of conspiracies that a 'Macross Purist' supposedly put it up." After the idea came up, I posted it up that evening, and I didn't want to sound so serious about it, so I put that little tag at the end of the post. I thought he'd pick up on that, but I guess you can't underestimate stupidity.

I'm listening to this right now - it's mind-blowing how far the conspiracies have gone in his head. When I heard the first podcast stating his conspiracy theory, I thought it was far-fetched even for him. But by fanning the flame like you did, it's like he's reached the tipping point of sanity. He honestly believes your backpeddling was out of fear of legal repercussions.

Btw, it's a 45 minute podcast, and it took 33 minutes to get to the point. There's plenty of homoerotic references as usual.

Just got a sneak peak at the newest release of Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles. They're adding in Lron's son Dardo as the new Karbarran Ambassador...

Just think, somewhere out there is the person who was 7 years old when they won the competition to design all of the new alien races in the Sentinels.....

I'm listening to this right now - it's mind-blowing how far the conspiracies have gone in his head. When I heard the first podcast stating his conspiracy theory, I thought it was far-fetched even for him. But by fanning the flame like you did, it's like he's reached the tipping point of sanity. He honestly believes your backpeddling was out of fear of legal repercussions.

Btw, it's a 45 minute podcast, and it took 33 minutes to get to the point. There's plenty of homoerotic references as usual.

Sorry I couldn't meet up with you last night... It would've been fun to brainstorm ways to make Bendo even more paranoid and crazy than he is now. :D

Please don't tell me those are actual characters from a robotech comic!!! It's a joke right all photoshoped?

One of them is photoshopped, yes.

Yes, I can see the little one from center at the bottom is photoshopped. But I can't believe the other characters are for real!!!

That's a monstrosity, very lame :ph34r:

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

I'm gonna take a moment to explain why the Sentinels Alien Races was such a stupid idea.

My explanation goes beyond the stupid character designs. In Robotech it is suggested that the Robotech Masters ruled all. They have the Zentraedi warriors who destroyed all. They're arch enemies the Invid nearly destroys who use protoculture. We've seen what the Zentraedi have done to the Earth. Why did the Masters, Invid & Zentradi let all these losers live? I want a good reason besides so Robotech could eventually have a rip off United Federation of Planets.

I'm gonna take a moment to explain why the Sentinels Alien Races was such a stupid idea.

My explanation goes beyond the stupid character designs. In Robotech it is suggested that the Robotech Masters ruled all. They have the Zentraedi warriors who destroyed all. They're arch enemies the Invid nearly destroys who use protoculture. We've seen what the Zentraedi have done to the Earth. Why did the Masters, Invid & Zentradi let all these losers live? I want a good reason besides so Robotech could eventually have a rip off United Federation of Planets.

Me, I just still want a good answer for why "Dolzaa" shouted out "PROTOCULTURE!!" when he saw "Rick" and "Lisa" kissing...

I'd imagine that the concept of featuring several different alien races in The Sentinels was born out of the need to expand the existing toy line, unfortunately it was poorly conceived. While Macek did a decent job editing three anime series into Robotech, he's not a writer, which The Sentinels made abundantly clear.

In Robotech it is suggested that the Robotech Masters ruled all. They have the Zentraedi warriors who destroyed all. They're arch enemies the Invid nearly destroys who use protoculture. We've seen what the Zentraedi have done to the Earth. Why did the Masters, Invid & Zentradi let all these losers live? I want a good reason besides so Robotech could eventually have a rip off United Federation of Planets.

Well, the Masters do not name the Invid as their primary foes but instead group called The Disciples of Zor who are strong enough to open up another offensive against their Zentraedi warriors. The Invid, by comparison, are not even remotely on par. Besides, an empire full of destroyed planets is not really an empire. Still got to have food and other raw materials to shove into the all-consuming maw of a war machine. Need subservient races to do the lifting. At least the Praxians appear to be baseline humans, which the Masters say they respect all who share its form.

Well, the Masters do not name the Invid as their primary foes but instead group called The Disciples of Zor who are strong enough to open up another offensive against their Zentraedi warriors. The Invid, by comparison, are not even remotely on par. Besides, an empire full of destroyed planets is not really an empire. Still got to have food and other raw materials to shove into the all-consuming maw of a war machine. Need subservient races to do the lifting. At least the Praxians appear to be baseline humans, which the Masters say they respect all who share its form.

This is interesting...considering that I've run across Robotech fans who complain that the main reason they like Robotech more than Macross is because the "Supervision Army" reamins unseen and unknown...yet the "Disciples of Zor" are really the same thing, aren't they? An unseen, unknown enemy who's apparently totally badass.

yet the "Disciples of Zor" are really the same thing, aren't they? An unseen, unknown enemy who's apparently totally badass.

You forgot one additional thing, unremembered... (excepting Red Devil of course)

I'm also sure someone out there can "prove" that the invid are the disciples of zor...

You forgot one additional thing, unremembered... (excepting Red Devil of course)

I'm also sure someone out there can "prove" that the invid are the disciples of zor...

In all likelihood, I didn't forget it...not being a "Robotechnologist," I probably didn't know it in the first place.

So go ahead...what is it?

Where does Scientology fit into all of this?

Oh, I'm sure the name L'ron has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with "L. Ron Hubbard."

That said, being that one of my favorite authors is James Branch Cabell, I'm annoyed that that the not only used his name in The Sentinels, but also mispronounced it. As the man himself once rhymed, "Tell the rabble my name is Cabell."

Didn't Rick and Lisa get married in front of a Scientology Cross in one Sentinels comic

i seem to remember that in one of these threads

but oh man. disciples of zor. another off-screen threat of great magnitude

like robotech doesn't have enough of those :v

Didn't Rick and Lisa get married in front of a Scientology Cross in one Sentinels comic

i seem to remember that in one of these threads

Well...I happen to know for a fact that Bridge Publications (y'know, those ABSOLUTELY UNAFFILIATED GUYS who just HAPPEN to publish L. Ron Hubbard's science fiction) WILL INDEED pay if you show Scientology books in your amateur movie...so yeah...maybe Carl Macek and Matchbox had an extra source of revenue.