HG and Robotech Debates

See, if Row-bow-tech was truly an awe-inspiring series, something that has stood the test of time, blah blah blah, etc., then you won't need to splash a random image of Macross in the ad(s). It should be able to do it by name alone. Even if this is some ad agency doing the poster, the fact that they put it there only proves Row-bow-tech can't stand on its own.

So we come to a "prove me wrong"-moment. Prove to me that you don't need Macross and its franchise, Southern Cross, and Mospeada to survive. If Robotech did such a good job of improving these stories, then you won't need them. Reboot the franchise. If it has stood up all these years, a reboot will not hurt it. Take away the old character and mecha designs and create new ones. Redo the story so that they're strung together into one coherent story instead of Carl Maeck's 90-second sewing job. Stop relying on Macross and its franchise, Southern Cross, and Mospeada. Stop trying to make sequels or sidquels. Stop trying to sell collection set after collection set. Reboot the whole franchise and start fresh. If that can be done, then it will earn my respect. 'Til then. :mellow:

In general, I have NO respect for reboots/remakes/reimaginings/whatever the term of the moment is.

By whatever name, I consider the vast majority of them to be a blatant attempt to cash in on an established brand without having to pay any respect to the source material, and most announcements of them as signs of creative bankruptcy.

Which means this idea is pretty much a perfect fit for the Robotech franchise.

In general, I have NO respect for reboots/remakes/reimaginings/whatever the term of the moment is.

By whatever name, I consider the vast majority of them to be a blatant attempt to cash in on an established brand without having to pay any respect to the source material, and most announcements of them as signs of creative bankruptcy.

Which means this idea is pretty much a perfect fit for the Robotech franchise.

Hence the reboot. :D

If we strip away everything but the name, will it still stand? Although, the RT franchise has been creatively bankrupt from the start since they adapted 3 unrelated shows into their "universe". I'm just giving them a chance to finally break free, should they choose to accept it. If they choose not to, then we know that creative bankruptcy knows no bounds.

I thought they were creatively bankrupt if they DID choose to accept it, and retell the same story again instead of doing something new?

Well, okay, I thought they were creatively bankrupt either way, but... I'm not sure how a remake of the original "series" would show them as being capable of creativity?

I mean, the last two times they tried to be "creative" we got... Robotech II: The Sentinels and Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles?

I would be downright SCARED of letting creative geniuses of that caliber loose on the world untethered.

If that ad was valid, I'd hope that Satelite, and Big West are aware of it. If it's just some idiot fan's doing, then, that's par for the course, I guess. It's gotta feel pretty sad for them, when no one is really talking about much of anything about their franchise, and this is the only good thing to come in relation to Robotech.

In just a sample of what is going on in the Macross franchise, the VF-19 Kai sound booster has just been released, the second movie is coming on Blu-Ray in October, new issue of Macross the First coming out in the new publication this month, and that's just some of the stuff over the next couple months.

See, if Row-bow-tech was truly an awe-inspiring series, something that has stood the test of time, blah blah blah, etc., then you won't need to splash a random image of Macross in the ad(s). It should be able to do it by name alone. Even if this is some ad agency doing the poster, the fact that they put it there only proves Row-bow-tech can't stand on its own.

So we come to a "prove me wrong"-moment. Prove to me that you don't need Macross and its franchise, Southern Cross, and Mospeada to survive. If Robotech did such a good job of improving these stories, then you won't need them. Reboot the franchise. If it has stood up all these years, a reboot will not hurt it. Take away the old character and mecha designs and create new ones. Redo the story so that they're strung together into one coherent story instead of Carl Maeck's 90-second sewing job. Stop relying on Macross and its franchise, Southern Cross, and Mospeada. Stop trying to make sequels or sidquels. Stop trying to sell collection set after collection set. Reboot the whole franchise and start fresh. If that can be done, then it will earn my respect. 'Til then. :mellow:

Agreed! The potential is all there for it to work BUT I just don't think HG can handle it. If so, they would've done it by now. If Robotech was truly the classic they constantly hype it up to be in their press releases, they wouldn't have waited until preorders for Toycom's Macross Plus toys went live, to get off their ass and actually do something with the Robotech brand. How many years did they leave Robotech dormant, while in the meantime, US Renditions and Manga Ent. Released VHS and DVD versions of Macross II & Plus respectively?

Man, 10+ years later and not much has changed. HG still proudly hypes up Robotech as if it's the Star Wars of anime and we still have to pay up to import the good shtuff.

I wonder if the Alto poster is fake.

It has to be fake or a fan special, doesn't it? I mean I cannot imagine a legitimate company (even HG) blatantly ripping off an image from another show and presenting as its own without permission or a legal basis.

Edited by Marzan

I thought they were creatively bankrupt if they DID choose to accept it, and retell the same story again instead of doing something new?

Well, okay, I thought they were creatively bankrupt either way, but... I'm not sure how a remake of the original "series" would show them as being capable of creativity?

They could at least do things that would allow them to develop and expand the franchise into something a little more "creative" instead of being tied down to a mess. Something "new" ("New" being something they create that doesn't involve someone else's license). Like I said, they already adapted 3 unrelated series into their fine mess. Adapting or adding more shows into their world would be like pushing their creative bankruptcy to their kids. If they start fresh from the beginning with a reboot (not the wussy soft-boot DC Comics is doing, but a full reboot), it would at least feel like they're trying to break free of their creative bankruptcy. Don't even use buzz words like "gritty", "dark", or "modern" or whatever BS Hollywood uses as an excuse. Eff-it, just dig the dead plant out of the ground and plant something new. Cuz grafting obviously hasn't worked out. We know Hollywood is creatively bankrupt anyways, what's one more to the pile of poo?

I mean, the last two times they tried to be "creative" we got... Robotech II: The Sentinels and Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles?

Would you rather have Robotech Frontier? Robotech Plus? Robotech 7? Robotech Zero? Hell, why limit yourself Macross. Let's do "Blue Comet SPT Robotech", or "Super Dimension Century Robotech", or "Combat Mecha Robotech".

I would be downright SCARED of letting creative geniuses of that caliber loose on the world untethered.

Call in someone else to do it then...oh wait.... :rolleyes: [cough]RT LAM[/cough] :rolleyes:

Well, if it were actually written with modern sensibilities, it could tap into the current war weariness affecting the US and much of the western world....

Fine. You don't have use buzz words like "gritty", "dark", or "modern" or whatever BS Hollywood uses as an excuse to redo it all.

And genocide.

Not saying Macross didn't have it's dark moments but whatever. It's just sci-fi melodrama exactly like the original Gundam and Space Battleship Yamato.

A buddy of mine said it best, war in Macross is some unfortunate thing you have to do on the way to the j-pop concert.

There's no genocide in Mospeada. Earth is doing pretty good all things considered. Yeah the Inbit are dicking around but hey they're fixing the planet and not attacking people who are aren't attacking them. Yeah there's stuff like Rainy Boy and the like but this is sandwiched in between "Let's throw Mint a birthday party!" and "Oh noes the Inbit stole Mint's panties!" Mospeada is a far cry form John Steakley's Armor.

This isn't Nobody's Boy Remi.

post-1819-0-89583400-1314586815_thumb.jpg

so this is supposedly from Fanexpo

haha

Unbelievable...here I was about to rag on bendo for putting up those SC early design pics that were floating around a few months ago and find yet another HG hack job...seriously anyone in Japan know about this yet?

"in some quarters...people who know this business"

He thinks he's Guld.

Guld: Banky

Isamu: Darkwater

Myung: the blog?

Project Super Nova: bragging about business knowledge?

It's practically obsessive compulsive at this point that he'd make references on Robotech.com to this day on a single post I made back in 2005, all to a group of people who have absolutely no idea what the hell he's talking about.

And as far as my old blog (for those unaware, Kevin took the domain name of my blog a couple of years after I shut it down), it's entirely inconsequential when you look at the traffic stats. Here's what I pulled a little while back:

Kevin as the webmaster - 11/9/10 - 7/18/11

*26 Visits

*17 Absolute Unique Visitors

*77 Pageviews

*2.96 Average Pageviews

*00:02:42 Time on Site

*57.69% Bounce Rate

*19.23% New Visits

Me as the webmaster 7/1/06 - 3/9/07

*108,986 Visits

*20,997 Absolute Unique Visitors

*200,866 Pageviews

*1.84 Average Pageviews

*00:01:26 Time on Site

*47.50% Bounce Rate

*18.61% New Visits

Funny that Google Analytics still gives me access to the stats.

Unbelievable...here I was about to rag on bendo for putting up those SC early design pics that were floating around a few months ago and find yet another HG hack job...seriously anyone in Japan know about this yet?

You can always hit "Contact Us" on Big West's home page:

http://www.bigwestfrontier.co.jp/index.html -> https://business.form-mailer.jp/fms/10d340593465

Guys if this was a stunt by someone, and not an actual ad, whomever did it (or where ever it gets tracked back to) could face severe legal repercussions. It would be the equivalent of libel if it starts a legal war. Just something to consider....

I agree. As someone who knows this business, someone dun goofed and if they cyber police can backtrace it back to Jason, consequences will never be the same.

Guys if this was a stunt by someone, and not an actual ad, whomever did it (or where ever it gets tracked back to) could face severe legal repercussions. It would be the equivalent of libel if it starts a legal war. Just something to consider....

I find this highly unlikely.

I would only consider it likely if it started a legal war between Big West and Harmony Gold. If not, probably not even worth the time to write up a C&D.

I don't see how it could; it's a gag, a prank--one that HG had no part in. They aren't liable for anything in this case.

Yes, they probably do... ;)

It's practically obsessive compulsive at this point that he'd make references on Robotech.com to this day on a single post I made back in 2005, all to a group of people who have absolutely no idea what the hell he's talking about.

And as far as my old blog (for those unaware, Kevin took the domain name of my blog a couple of years after I shut it down), it's entirely inconsequential when you look at the traffic stats. Here's what I pulled a little while back:

Kevin as the webmaster - 11/9/10 - 7/18/11

*26 Visits

*17 Absolute Unique Visitors

*77 Pageviews

*2.96 Average Pageviews

*00:02:42 Time on Site

*57.69% Bounce Rate

*19.23% New Visits

Me as the webmaster 7/1/06 - 3/9/07

*108,986 Visits

*20,997 Absolute Unique Visitors

*200,866 Pageviews

*1.84 Average Pageviews

*00:01:26 Time on Site

*47.50% Bounce Rate

*18.61% New Visits

Funny that Google Analytics still gives me access to the stats.

Effing hilarious. I'm glad you put that up.

I agree. As someone who knows this business, someone dun goofed and if they cyber police can backtrace it back to Jason, consequences will never be the same.

Man, don't let too much out of the bag... we, the illuminati, are trying to take over the world, and to do that, we need to first throw the world into chaos by putting up ads like this, LOL :lol:

Seriously though, Entertainment One was probably hired by A&E to create a promo ad for the DVDs, and in a rush, and without checking, the designer used a Macross character that isn't shared by the two franchises out of sheer ignorance, nothing more. It can still get them in trouble, but it's probably nothing more. I mean really. I cannot divulge any knowledge of secret societies, and for those trolling, please disregard any conspiracies. We have nothing to hide. ;)

Seriously though, Entertainment One was probably hired by A&E to create a promo ad for the DVDs, and in a rush, and without checking, the designer used a Macross character that isn't shared by the two franchises out of sheer ignorance, nothing more.

They weren't even hired by A&E probably - they're a small time operation in Canada who's more than likely just repackaging A&E's DVDs, and is so disconnected from HG that that they probably gave no thought to it.

Then again, it could very well be an attempt by Macross purists as as clever ruse to recruit new Robotech fans to join the Macross cause. I mean, when people see this poster, especially new fans, they’re going to get really interested in seeing the series. They’re going to watch all 85 episodes, and they’ll be looking for Alto, which they’ll never find. Once they realize that Alto is in Macross and not Robotech, they’ll all head to Macross instead, thus be tricked into watching Macross rather than Robotech.

I think it's time someone fessed up.

That would be horrible if Robotech fans were tricked into watching the fake Robotech rip-off "Macross" instead of authentic, pure, Robotech. They should be more careful in the future not to associate Robotech with an inferior brand. It could ruin Robotech's reputation. It might make people think Harmony Gold produced Macross Frontier. Tommy Yune would never work again when everyone finds out he made Macross Frontier on his Macbook.