HG and Robotech Debates

A TRIBUTE TO TOMMY YUNE

The 2011 con season seems to be slowing down, and so I wish to write a small tribute to the one, the only, Tommy Yun.

=======================================================================================

http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/20/my-fanboy-moment-robotech-honcho/

"I was a very young student at the time, but anime series such as 'Robotech' and 'Speed Racer' made big impressions on me. I had arrived to enter a piece into the event's art contest and the organizer told me that they already had too many submissions," he said.

Yune got in line to meet the creator of "Robotech," Carl Macek. Soon after Macek saw Yune's artwork, he took it, and Yune was later announced as the co-winner of the contest.

Who knew that this single moment in time would set forth an unstoppable chain of events that would eventually make Robotech the powerhouse retro brand it is now?

Thank you, Tommy Yune. Thank you for recycling art you did ten years ago and slapping it into every single merchandise you can think of, since you clearly can't be bothered to make new stuff. Thank you for revitalizing Robotech with brand new stories that while trite and hackneyed, the point is you tried. I wish to extend a hand to your brother, Steve Yun, even though all he seems to do is ride on your "success". And ban people on the website. And I would like to thank you for introducing the world to the marketing coordinator like Kevin McKeever, for without him, Robotech wouldn't be as funny to make fun of.

Thank you Tommy! Thank you for everything!

Go go Robo-tech!!!

Edited by chrisk

You do realize you could probably count the amount of people who get the reference on here on one hand, right?

St Elsewhere, right? I wasn't sure.

Anyway, Protoculture (in Robotech), an entire universe's go to excuse to promote drug abuse. I'll stick to the people definition since that has more of a future these days, despite them all being dead and stuff.

A TRIBUTE TO TOMMY YUNE

The 2011 con season seems to be slowing down, and so I wish to write a small tribute to the one, the only, Tommy Yun.

=======================================================================================

Who knew that this single moment in time would set forth an unstoppable chain of events that would eventually make Robotech the powerhouse retro brand it is now?

Thank you, Tommy Yune. Thank you for recycling art you did ten years ago and slapping it into every single merchandise you can think of, since you clearly can't be bothered to make new stuff. Thank you for revitalizing Robotech with brand new stories that while trite and hackneyed, the point is you tried. I wish to extend a hand to your brother, Steve Yun, even though all he seems to do is ride on your "success". And ban people on the website. And I would like to thank you for introducing the world to the marketing coordinator like Kevin McKeever, for without him, Robotech wouldn't be as funny to make fun of.

Thank you Tommy! Thank you for everything!

Go go Robo-tech!!!

Pretty damn funny just thinking about all that. Even more so that it rings true.

You do realize you could probably count the amount of people who get the reference on here on one hand, right?

Hell, there have been so many "parodies" of it I can't even remember what the original was anymore. (I do remember Larry Hagman doing his take on the "who shot JR" scene)

I thought it was the bike from Megazone 23...

Still, it hurt my eyes...

yessir, a "MODAT-5 Mobile Computer Interface Terminal" referred to as the "BAHAMODE" stolen from the HARMONY GOLD series "MEGAAREA 32"

i've got a real nice toy of the thing, made by TOYNAMI, and even comes complete with MARK LANDRY and EVE action figures!!

GARLANDCARBINEMOUNT.jpg

DAMAGEDGARLAND2.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

lol what's creativity ...

That is definitely one of the uglier pictures I've seen. If they looked like that, Mylene would've never made the band for being so ugly, and most of the other "daughters" look like a man.

Not in the real world. All Harmony Gold's general counsel has to do is a send out a form letter for trademark infringemet. It's a no-brainer really.

If JManga is truly a legitimate site for downloading manga in the USA, then they must not know about Harmony Gold's "Macross" trademark. Which is is pretty surprising since it's common knowledge in the US anime/manga industry that anything Macross related has to go through Harmony Gold first.

After reading through JManga's legal section, they employ some pretty bizarre practices and disclosures. Not exactly what I'd expect to see from professional website that sells subscriptions.

"In a way, these conventions are a form of modern pilgrimage in which representatives from the entertainment industry and the most devoted followers of pop culture have an opportunity to converge in one place."

I'm trying to hard not to say anything about how the convention tour "helps" fans.

A TRIBUTE TO TOMMY YUNE

I think that every man and his dog knows what Tommys greatest fanboy moment was, and it involved "all of the hardcore Robotech fans out there......."

That is definitely one of the uglier pictures I've seen. If they looked like that, Mylene would've never made the band for being so ugly, and most of the other "daughters" look like a man.

You have to consider that that pic is from 2001 (apparently). The general standard for Japanese-styled fan-art has dramatically improved since then; I am always astounded at what the kids can do these days.

Ten years ago I could have sneered at this pic and arrogantly said, "Bleah, I can do much better", but now I no longer have that confidence... :(

You have to consider that that pic is from 2001 (apparently). The general standard for Japanese-styled fan-art has dramatically improved since then; I am always astounded at what the kids can do these days.

Ten years ago I could have sneered at this pic and arrogantly said, "Bleah, I can do much better", but now I no longer have that confidence... :(

I could only hope that the artist who did this has improved. Unfortunately for me, the age of the picture doesn't make it any better. I'm not going to criticize the person who drew the picture, because that may have been the best they could do. Hopefully they are always trying to improve, and that's all I can say about that. The idea of using Macross created characters in Robotech,,, we've been there already in this thread.