HG and Robotech Debates

Okay...then what is it about Southern Cross that presses your button that says "YES"?

If I had to say what I liked about Southern Cross, it is Jeanne taking a shower... :p Just kidding, but there was one good thing about it, which was the comedy that was in it. Sadly, that was the only thing that I ended up enjoying from Southern Cross. The mecha and all that is just kinda an afterthought for me. The soldier armor was pretty good, but still not a highlight.

Okay...then what is it about Southern Cross that presses your button that says "YES"?

More than anything else, its scenes like this:

Nelson-classDestroyer22.jpg

Tristar-classCruiserLeaderinALuCEberth01.jpg

Nelson-classDestroyer18.jpg

Tristar-classCruiserLeaderFlightIIV.jpg

The only reason I even liked Return of the Jedi as a kid was because of the Battle of Endor. Southern Cross had the only space battles, in my opinion, that were like that. Over time, I learned that I really liked the mecha too. We all like different things. I happen to like Southern Cross, warts and all.

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

Which is, of course, something in his favor. To bad he hasn't capitalized on it.

Is getting a steady paycheck and maintaining high position in a franchise for as long as possible not considered capitalizing it? I'd love to have his job, or any of the big three, if I got to do as little as he did... if I only didn't have stupid standards.

I bet he's going to pull a Olivia Munn eventually. She stayed on G4 for a while pretending to like videogames and other geek stuff and then jumped ship to other ventures to further her career. All the while there was a minority of people who speculated that she was faking it during her time there and using G4 as a stepping stone, which became more convincing when when she suddenly went on to the Daily Show of all places.

More than anything else, its scenes like this:

The only reason I even liked Return of the Jedi as a kid was because of the Battle of Endor. Southern Cross had the only space battles, in my opinion, that were like that. Over time, I learned that I really liked the mecha too. We all like different things. I happen to like Southern Cross, warts and all.

So...it's not the characters or the plot? Okay. I can deal with that.

Unfortunately, I saw something else in that poster...

"Robotech: SSDD"

(BTW: They decided to stop calling it the Macross Saga, The Masters Saga, and the New Generation? Strange, since HG supposedly 'improved' eah and every one of those individual 'sagas' by stitching them together.)

So the people who made that poster, Entertainment One, Ltd., realized Tommy's artwork sucks and resorted to using something from Frontier to make the poster look better? Ouch. Tommy should sue them for defamation.

Wait, they're remastering it AGAIN? Or do they just mean "since ADV is officially, technically defunct, this is a new edition"?

Who ARE they in bed with this time, anyways?

Same exact AnimEigo remaster for Macross, & ADV remaster for Southern Cross and Mospeada, complete with the shitty new sound effects.

As for that poster, Pierre Bernard should sue them for using his terminology for each "robotech war" lol. Poor Alto.

Edited by Keith

Same exact AnimEigo remaster for Macross, & ADV remaster for Southern Cross and Mospeada, complete with the shitty new sound effects.

As for that poster, Pierre Bernard should sue them for using his terminology for each "robotech war" lol. Poor Alto.

Who is this Alto of whom you speak? Clearly that is an Invid Invasion era Lancer, lol.

I bet he's going to pull a Olivia Munn eventually. She stayed on G4 for a while pretending to like videogames and other geek stuff and then jumped ship to other ventures to further her career.

I'm sure G4 really didn't care if she was faking or not, strangely that is what actors get paid to do. (only person on the entire G4 staff that I think *REALLY* likes games is Adam Sessler - they fired off all the rest. And yes I am a grumpy old fart after they killed off "The Screen Savers" - the REAL one that is).

Edited by Dynaman

Who is this Alto of whom you speak? Clearly that is an Invid Invasion era Lancer, lol.

that may be, but i don't hardly believe for a second

that his rather striking resemblance in that poster's depiction

to one Alto Saotome of MAC. Frontier fame is any sort of mere coincidence.

OR

to phrase the same assertion much more simply; F&$K YOU, HG!!!!

Edited by Shaorin

Not impressed at all, they can't keep relying on the fact that certain circles use Robotech and Macross interchangeably to confuse people.

Guess Robotech still strives on sloppy seconds, eh?

See, if Row-bow-tech was truly an awe-inspiring series, something that has stood the test of time, blah blah blah, etc., then you won't need to splash a random image of Macross in the ad(s). It should be able to do it by name alone. Even if this is some ad agency doing the poster, the fact that they put it there only proves Row-bow-tech can't stand on its own.

So we come to a "prove me wrong"-moment. Prove to me that you don't need Macross and its franchise, Southern Cross, and Mospeada to survive. If Robotech did such a good job of improving these stories, then you won't need them. Reboot the franchise. If it has stood up all these years, a reboot will not hurt it. Take away the old character and mecha designs and create new ones. Redo the story so that they're strung together into one coherent story instead of Carl Maeck's 90-second sewing job. Stop relying on Macross and its franchise, Southern Cross, and Mospeada. Stop trying to make sequels or sidquels. Stop trying to sell collection set after collection set. Reboot the whole franchise and start fresh. If that can be done, then it will earn my respect. 'Til then. :mellow:

Is that why HG will only reveal things at cons? After the panels I bet they drag the "true believers" into a screening room to preview the "real" top secret new Robotech footage, dubs of Frontier :)

This is what happens when graphic designers rely on a Google Image search. I can see panic button being hit at the Harmony Gold HQ as soon as this got out.

Remember when people on this thread were talking about someone having the guts to put ads for a DYRL or other release in magazines and seeing if any company would be pissed enough to go to court for it? I think Entertainment One unintentionally put HG close to that kind of situation.

I just wonder, how many times can you re-master the same series. especially one that has had slow or non existant sales. and it is only the same people buying in. I mean they would of been better releasing it in Blu-Ray, and even then the sales would be low. Can only flog a horse for so long before it tires and dies........

Also that poster. Has ALTO from MF the whole way. so much for Tommy Yunes creative ability. Probably thinking no-one will pick up on it....

No wonder they only go to the panels for there new info. It wouldn't even register on-line. And even only to people that are hanging on to it. Which I have to assume must be sick of nothing ever coming out ot Tommy Yunes house of Ideas.

Oh well another try to stop the slow trajectory to non-existance....

Edited by Smegalot

Remember when people on this thread were talking about someone having the guts to put ads for a DYRL or other release in magazines and seeing if any company would be pissed enough to go to court for it? I think Entertainment One unintentionally put HG close to that kind of situation.

They'll just probably tell them to pull all of these ads ASAP, possibly with a cease & desist. This obviously didn't get run past anyone and HG could probably use this example to demand final approval for all of their future print ads. Normally, a distributor might might scoff and think "We have a crapload of titles to promote, you're just a small production company pushing a 26 year old product," but in this case HG could say "Yeah, and you're violating international copyright law"

I've been critical of HG's marketing efforts for years, but even they wouldn't have put out a hack-job like this. First, it's not a "all-new Remastered version," it's the same remastered version they've had for years. Second, there's no copyright symbol next to the Robotech logo. Third, the redundancy of "Robotech: The First Robotech War, Robotech: The Second Robotech War.. etc" is just horrible copy.