HG and Robotech Debates

The old BBC series Blake's 7 played this game with fans for a while. Will Blake return after a few seasons absence or won't he? Fortunately in the final episodes the fan's got their wish, but the return was handled *brilliantly*. I don't think that HG would do this to Rick Hunter........

SPOILER: DONT watch this if you havent' seen the series and want to some day, you have been warned....

Wow! i thought i was the only one around you watched this series. Awesome show.

Well, it's been over a month, and going by what HG has said, the battlepods are still on a boat, supposedly on their way. Now, are they on a damn row boat, or sail boat? I've had stuff arrive by boat, and all I can say is, they should've announced them being here by now if that was true. I'm sure the boat is waiting for the gas prices Kevin thinks is the cause of anime conventions supposedly dying, to go down. Wait, they have been down for awhile, at least lower than what people were thinking was going to happen during the summer. Or, maybe it's still waiting for more items to fill the boats, because China hardly has anything to export, and we hardly import anything from them.

In other news, did anyone listen to the podcast just put up recently where Tommy mentions that the side project won't be out till Christmas next year? Apparently, it's because they are too busy with a re-re-re-release of Robotech. They also haven't decided on a name for it, and don't even want to excite their fans by letting them know what studio is doing it, or doing much of anything for that matter. There's one thing I thought of...will the distributor for the side project be A&E, a company that doesn't have the visible presence in animation or anime industry at all, or will they shop and try to rebuild burnt bridges from Funimation, or Sentai, or even Manga or another animation distributor? I wonder if that issue of distribution will be a repeat of the fiasco HG got into with trying to get the big distributor that bit them in the @ss a few years ago with RTSC.

Oh well, not complaining, more like simply clowning the thoughts. Sometimes figuring out the thought process for HG is an interesting case study on WHAT NOT TO DO.

Edited by Jasonc

I'm not surprised that Steve himself violated the TOU to ban somebody for pointing out that name-calling is a violation of the TOU.

Steve Yun (Posted on: August 12, 2011 - 5:07:34 PM): SMS Ozma Lee's account was closed for being a jerk and also because it was a previously banned member returning with a new account. If he returns again, please report him.

Also, King of Pain will take a 1 week probation for calling another member a douchebag.

I'm not surprised that Steve himself violated the TOU to ban somebody for pointing out that name-calling is a violation of the TOU.

Steve Yun (Posted on: August 12, 2011 - 5:07:34 PM): SMS Ozma Lee's account was closed for being a jerk and also because it was a previously banned member returning with a new account. If he returns again, please report him.

Also, King of Pain will take a 1 week probation for calling another member a douchebag.

At least they got an explanation. I had to try and log in so that I could find out I was banned. Guess they're just gonna continue to shrink the fanbase so that when the LAM even arrives, there will be no "old" fans to upset by the changes in the reboot.

At least they got an explanation. I had to try and log in so that I could find out I was banned. Guess they're just gonna continue to shrink the fanbase so that when the LAM even arrives, there will be no "old" fans to upset by the changes in the reboot.

Thought all the old fans were outgrowing this show....

You know what I find weird about this, it's the the show's current writers and handlers are too focused on their forum instead of just writing and drawing... I mean, forums are mainly used for feedbacks when it comes to this... but I dunno, it's like they really have nothing to do but check their forum all day...

In other news, did anyone listen to the podcast just put up recently where Tommy mentions that the side project won't be out till Christmas next year? Apparently, it's because they are too busy with a re-re-re-release of Robotech.

So, when Tommy first announced it last year, he said "this time next year," but now it won't come out until a year and half later? Considering Shadow Chronicles was supposed to be out in 2004 but ended up coming out in 2007, that's a vast improvement, I guess...

You know what I find weird about this, it's the the show's current writers and handlers are too focused on their forum instead of just writing and drawing... I mean, forums are mainly used for feedbacks when it comes to this... but I dunno, it's like they really have nothing to do but check their forum all day...

Very true. Most "professional" people in this industry that I know, and many that I've only heard or read about, don't spend as much time on regulating criticism, if at all. If they choose to spend their time coming up with excuses, and trying to defend what lackluster job they've done, that's on them. It's true in that case, and explains why they don't get a lot done. In going back to the other people I mentioned, they don't spend time with those excuses and defending their position, they just "Do" and try to make the next step 10x better than the last.

In other news, did anyone listen to the podcast just put up recently where Tommy mentions that the side project won't be out till Christmas next year? Apparently, it's because they are too busy with a re-re-re-release of Robotech. They also haven't decided on a name for it, and don't even want to excite their fans by letting them know what studio is doing it, or doing much of anything for that matter.

How is a Webmaster important in this type of conference? Surfing the Web? Hard at Work? I wish my work was that easy :D

He's "checkin his e-mail". :D:p:lol: Really, most panels usually have 1 laptop for the presentation and yet I see 2... possibly 3. So whatever is on their laptop screens is more important than the "crowd"? How sad.

"Not many franchises maintain this kind of momentum and energy after all these years." - Tommy Yune, Comic Con 2011 :lol:

The energy you're leeching from Macross that you expend on the momentum of increased web browsing? Yeah, I can see why a lot of companies would not want their people to be so concentrated on dicking around.

"Please turn off your cameras. We don't want any second hand versions appearing on the web."

Well if that isn't Robotech's life story in a nutshell.

they're going to edit out 'irrelevant' or 'unrelated' or 'inappropriate' material from their press conference?

sounds like a 'north-koreanization' of a franchise, with their 'dear leader' tommy yune's face and upper body on every HG poster, extending his hand a la kim jong il.

expect nukes flying around soon. XD

My spies have smuggled this video out of HG headquarters. It's from staff meating regarding the current state of the boat of Robotech toys that's been docked in China.

Edited by Keith

they're going to edit out 'irrelevant' or 'unrelated' or 'inappropriate' material from their press conference?

sounds like a 'north-koreanization' of a franchise, with their 'dear leader' tommy yune's face and upper body on every HG poster, extending his hand a la kim jong il.

expect nukes flying around soon. XD

Will the nukes be powered by protoculture?

"Protoculture is an energy source derived from diverting the organic energy produced in cell division of a specific plant known as the Invid Flower of Life. By containing the gestating seed in the matrix which does not allow the plant to develop, the Invid Flower of Life's desire to reproduce is so strong that the energy derived from this submission of cell division is enough to power the massive Robotech mecha invented by Zor and subsequent Earth scientists." - Greg Finley, Scriptwriter and voice for Captain Henry J Gloval

I got that from somebody or saw it somewhere in August 2009. It was saved in my Robotech text folder. IIRC, the person emailed him and asked.

and what about the part where you can get drunk and/or high off the stuff? :huh:

Look at the side effects.... *pulls out laundry list*

PROTOCULTURE is not right for everyone. Only your healthcare provider and you can decide if PROTOCULTURE is right for you. Ask your healthcare provider if it is safe for you to have Robotech-fandom activity. You should not take PROTOCULTURE if your healthcare provider has told you not to take part in Robotech activity because of your health problems. Before taking PROTOCULTURE, tell your doctor about all your medical problems, particularly if you have or ever had:

* an allergy to PROTOCULTURE or FLOWER OF LIFE or any of its ingredients

* heart problems such as chest pain, heart failure, irregular heartbeats, or have had a heart attack from delayed Robotech merchandise

* high or low blood pressure

* stroke

* liver or kidney problems

* severe vision loss, including a condition called NAION

* glacoma

* a deformed sense of reality or McKeever's disease

* blood cell problems such as sickle cell anemia, multiple myeloma, or leukemia

Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using PROTOCULTURE:

Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability to anything Robotech; headache; loss of appetite while waiting for Robotech; nausea; nervousness or anxiety to anything Robotech; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using PROTOCULTURE:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue to the mentioning of anything Robotech-related); difficulty or severe urinating or inability to urinate due to the mentioning of anything Robotech-related; fast or irregular heartbeat to the mentioning of anything Robotech; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; stomach pain; tremor; trouble sleeping; vision changes; yellowing of skin or eyes upon the mentioning of anything Robotech.

* DO NOT take PROTOCULTURE if you are a Macross fan, are driving, with alcohol or before, during, or after sexual activity.

* Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly, and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to PROTOCULTURE.

* Do not use PROTCULTURE on concrete.

* Discontinue use of PROTCULTURE if any of the following occurs: itching, vertigo, dizziness, tingling in extremities, loss of balance or coordination, slurred speech, temporary blindness, profuse sweating, heart palpitations.

* If PROTCULTURE begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.

* PROTCULTURE may stick to certain types of skin.

* Ingredients of PROTOCULTURE include an unknown glowing substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

* Do not taunt PRTOCULTURE.

* PROTOCULTURE comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Yes there's more but you know how it is with fine print. :p

The flowers want to survive, so they try to optimize their chances of survival. It's not "The Shapings", some kind of god or something like that. It just lets out protoculture and communicates with other beings by making them have weird trips. What happened at the end of episode 85 to the Invid is probably an example of this. Of course, this has nothing to do with Robotech anymore so it might as well be a fanfic but at one point that's what Robotech was supposed to be about.

There are such thing as parasitical plants. Plants that attach themselves on other plants or fungii and sustain off their nutrients. In the right environment they can flourish and kill off native species.

"Protoculture is an energy source derived from diverting the organic energy produced in cell division of a specific plant known as the Invid Flower of Life. By containing the gestating seed in the matrix which does not allow the plant to develop, the Invid Flower of Life's desire to reproduce is so strong that the energy derived from this submission of cell division is enough to power the massive Robotech mecha invented by Zor and subsequent Earth scientists." - Greg Finley, Scriptwriter and voice for Captain Henry J Gloval

I got that from somebody or saw it somewhere in August 2009. It was saved in my Robotech text folder. IIRC, the person emailed him and asked.

So my theory wasn't that far off.