HG and Robotech Debates

Unless there's anything bigger than Comic-Con where Robotech is going to be in the rest of this year, there can be no more excuses anymore; where's that long, overdue buzz for the franchise, side stories, remixed soundtrack and such that they've been promoting for half a year now? Thirty seconds of raw footage doesn't cut it for people out of the loop? Is another DVD set really it? ^_^

Edited by Einherjar

Unless there's anything bigger than Comic-Con where Robotech is going to be in the rest of this year, there can be no more excuses anymore; where's that long, overdue buzz for the franchise, side stories, remixed soundtrack and such that they've been promoting for half a year now? Thirty seconds of raw footage doesn't cut it for people out of the loop? Is another DVD set really it? ^_^

A part of me understands the delays on all of their products, but you have to wonder why exactly they continue to go to convention after convention hyping stuff that's still in development. They been doing it for what, 9 years now? I read about the Voltron panel this year at Comic-Con, and it was their FIRST. Voltron's had just about as much in development over the last few years as Robotech (more or less), but a lot of it has either fallen through or is still in development, just like Robotech. The difference was, while you did hear of their new stuff from time to time, they didn't hype it up as "this will happen at this time" because they were never sure themselves.

It'd be nicer for a Robotech fan to actually not know of all of the things in development and just get a nice surprise here and there. But going convention after convention, there's only so much you can say and you then have to hype up anything and everything that's crossed your desk. Making a re-release of the DVD sets a "big" announcement is the perfect example of that. I'm willing to bet that more than 50% of that audience at Comic-Con was unaware that there wasn't a current company releasing the DVD's.

Edited by Darkwater

You gotta remember, cons are the only way HG wants to market the franchise as McKeevie says the internet isn't as effective. HG believes it help with fan relations and keeps everyone in the loop. Moreover, we fans supposedly want these con appearance which definitely was true a few years ago though now it seems less likely since the panels are often empty due lack of info and a recycled power point presentation. Still, the main reason these appearances continue is so the HG triumvirate can have time in the spotlight on a regular basis since they can't get the spotlight by actually releasing a product. Still, they teased that more exciting news will come at the end of this years con season so there's still hope for something other than a re-re-re-re-release of the series. Afterall, why would any company want to unveil big news at the biggest, most publicized con of the year? Just more proof that HG doesn't know what they're doing.

I honestly think the only reason they do the "convention tour" is to feed their own ego, and to give themselves a little wank off by making themselves feel like they are at the top of the game. The reasoning to that is, what kind of idiot doesn't believe the potential mass marketing tool that is the internet isn't as effective as taling to a couple hundred people maybe at a con that most people have other priorities at to begin with? Seriously, if you're gonna hit convention panels, why not wait till there's actually something to say, then do a two-fold marketing campaign with that via the convention panels and internet marketing. I'm sure there's some idiot who's gonna try to rationalize the reasoning of this "convention only" stupidity, but when I went to the Anime expo panel, I found it more annoying that it was just an excuse fest for why this and why that. If I was looking forward to the panel, I would've been royally pissed at them for wasting my time. Luckily, sitting through the panel was more of a time for me to rest my legs from shopping and doing stuff at AX like shopping, and hearing about real new stuff.

You gotta remember, cons are the only way HG wants to market the franchise as McKeevie says the internet isn't as effective. HG believes it help with fan relations and keeps everyone in the loop. Moreover, we fans supposedly want these con appearance which definitely was true a few years ago though now it seems less likely since the panels are often empty due lack of info and a recycled power point presentation. Still, the main reason these appearances continue is so the HG triumvirate can have time in the spotlight on a regular basis since they can't get the spotlight by actually releasing a product. Still, they teased that more exciting news will come at the end of this years con season so there's still hope for something other than a re-re-re-re-release of the series. Afterall, why would any company want to unveil big news at the biggest, most publicized con of the year? Just more proof that HG doesn't know what they're doing.

No. Let Robotech go away for a long, long time (I'd say five years). Stop hoping that the stuff that comes out from the House of Yune will be worthwhile, because they won't! Not now, not ever. Not while the same people and weirdo fanboys are running the joint for the next ten years.

Edited by chrisk

You know, I just wonder how many "RT Spies" come here to check on us "Lying Macross Purists" , since whatever we bring up more or less gets discussed in the official RT forums.

Are you finding out if they spy on us by spying on them? :lol:

It doesn't matter how many of the poor drones come here. I do know that HG personally comes here to see what we think of them, their little projects, and their actions. I'm sure we've said stuff that has either caused them to go into panic mode, or has (maybe unknowingly) help them to change their minds in some decisions. For example, I'm sure that one of the three spent a long time on youtube, looking for more of the rt2011 footage from AX, after I said that it's still up there. The truth is, there wasn't, until now.

It doesn't matter how many of the poor drones come here. I do know that HG personally comes here to see what we think of them, their little projects, and their actions. I'm sure we've said stuff that has either caused them to go into panic mode, or has (maybe unknowingly) help them to change their minds in some decisions. For example, I'm sure that one of the three spent a long time on youtube, looking for more of the rt2011 footage from AX, after I said that it's still up there. The truth is, there wasn't, until now.

What I want to know is, is there any truth to the Mospeada OVA redub? I thought it was actually happening...

What I want to know is, is there any truth to the Mospeada OVA redub? I thought it was actually happening...

From certain facts gathered, at one point, it was the idea. However, after numerous negative remarks, and questions of why, it seems like they ditched that effort. Seriously, you'd think that if thy were going this route for over a year now, they'd have much more done on their side project than just 30 seconds of hardly anything. It seems like they only fairly recently decided to do original animation. That's one of those things they'll never admit to, but well, what do you expect? You think they'd actually admit to anything or tell the truth?

From certain facts gathered, at one point, it was the idea. However, after numerous negative remarks, and questions of why, it seems like they ditched that effort. Seriously, you'd think that if thy were going this route for over a year now, they'd have much more done on their side project than just 30 seconds of hardly anything. It seems like they only fairly recently decided to do original animation. That's one of those things they'll never admit to, but well, what do you expect? You think they'd actually admit to anything or tell the truth?

Don't forget that the delay of the sidequel is due to HG ordering more MINUTES of animation. Hopefully it comes out right after my wife gives birth so I can watch it in between feedings. I gotta agree with your remarks about how HG loves visiting this forum. McKeevie does so all the time which he pointed out just before I got banned on rt.com for making him cry by blowing holes in every outrageous comment he posted. It's really surprising to me still that a production which is supposed to be smaller than Shadow Chronicles is taking so long to be completed as adding more minutes of footage shouldn't require 6 to 8 months of EXTRA production time to complete. That's why it makes sense that they were, at one time, planning to use LLA footage but scrapped the idea after everyone on this forum blasted the idea.

For goodness sake, the Thundercats reboot premieres in 5 days. If the freakin' Thundercats can do it, why not Robotech, if it's such a inspiring show.

Because, Thundercats have a more competent staff then HG. :ph34r:

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

I'm gonna make an obvious guess that the LLA redub was originally Carl Macek's idea. That got scrapped partially because they didn't want to pay Michael Bradley (Lancer's original singing voice) royalties, it looked dated as hell, and partially because this thread thought it sucked(?).

Hmm... are we the only place on the internet that cares to critique Harmony Gold's latest moves? (If so, they haven't been listening to us about those boring Powerpoint presentations...)

If HG was really influenced by this thread they'd have packed it up and called it quits for Robotech and backed off of their strangle hold on bringing Macross over to the US and the rest of the world. But I guess it's progress that they ditched the horrible idea of adapting LLA.

Don't forget that the delay of the sidequel is due to HG ordering more MINUTES of animation. Hopefully it comes out right after my wife gives birth so I can watch it in between feedings. I gotta agree with your remarks about how HG loves visiting this forum. McKeevie does so all the time which he pointed out just before I got banned on rt.com for making him cry by blowing holes in every outrageous comment he posted. It's really surprising to me still that a production which is supposed to be smaller than Shadow Chronicles is taking so long to be completed as adding more minutes of footage shouldn't require 6 to 8 months of EXTRA production time to complete. That's why it makes sense that they were, at one time, planning to use LLA footage but scrapped the idea after everyone on this forum blasted the idea.

There's a lot of SPECULATION on this thread that people try to pass off as fact. HG never confirmed they were going to use LLA but reading this thread it was going to be spliced three ways to Sunday & be such a massive task to add it to RT. I don't see it being a big deal to add LLA to RT because it features the RT: NG characters and the video hasn't a specific time frame that can hamper it's addition into RT. Now, I would hate that LLA was the main part of the side-quel because it's a music video that doesn't have a lot of story. I can see it as an extra on the DVD featuring Michael Bradley's music just like it was packaged for the Japanese fans as a goodbye to the NG cast.

There's a lot of SPECULATION on this thread that people try to pass off as fact. HG never confirmed they were going to use LLA but reading this thread it was going to be spliced three ways to Sunday & be such a massive task to add it to RT. I don't see it being a big deal to add LLA to RT because it features the RT: NG characters and the video hasn't a specific time frame that can hamper it's addition into RT. Now, I would hate that LLA was the main part of the side-quel because it's a music video that doesn't have a lot of story. I can see it as an extra on the DVD featuring Michael Bradley's music just like it was packaged for the Japanese fans as a goodbye to the NG cast.

No, HG never said one way or another. However, someone I talked to (who is quite trustworthy) talked to an HG employee who said they were using "old footage that Tatsunoko had" to create a new movie, which had my friend pretty well convinced that HG was using LLA. Clearly that's no longer the case, but if the HG employee was correct, then it must have been in the works at some point.

But yeah, I agree with others that HG doesn't really listen to a word we say. Which is fine. Let them screw up on their own.

Of course they're not going to confirm or deny that. There were so many Macross, Mospeada, and Robotech fans making negative remarks about that, that it must've been something they decided to bury, and what's done in the dark, is most times left there. Also, I don't see a lot of speculation here as fact, but people do speculate. It's a shame if you can't tell the difference.

No, HG never said one way or another. However, someone I talked to (who is quite trustworthy) talked to an HG employee who said they were using "old footage that Tatsunoko had" to create a new movie, which had my friend pretty well convinced that HG was using LLA. Clearly that's no longer the case, but if the HG employee was correct, then it must have been in the works at some point.

But yeah, I agree with others that HG doesn't really listen to a word we say. Which is fine. Let them screw up on their own.

I think HG doesn't do what we say, but they certainly listen to what we say. Will they ever directly act on it? I wouldn't expect them to. I know Tommy's made direct responses based on what people say on the internet when it comes to his work. He denied his own treatment based on what people said about it, even though that was his. The voice of the masses, or even small masses, can have an effect on some people.

They must not have many good ideas if they have the time to read our little forum...

Instead of wasting time on side-quels, why not focus that energy on rebooting the franchise and not ride on the coat tails of Macross, Mospeada, or Southern Cross. Make the show unique. But I guess "nostalgia" prevents that from happening.... :rolleyes:

They must not have many good ideas if they have the time to read our little forum...

In my blog days, I used to hear things I would say addressed directly at conventions. They'd say things like "Fans on the internet have been saying..." and it was something only I was saying. Then there were times a fan would ask a question at convention and the answer would be something I said almost verbatim in a forum or on my blog.

And while I can be an egotist, this was also confirmed to me by other people who would say "isn't that what you said last week on the forums?"

But yes, they focus VERY heavily on what people in the forums are saying, and they spend a lot of time patrolling them.

But yes, they focus VERY heavily on what people in the forums are saying, and they spend a lot of time patrolling them.

Gee, they must not have anything better to do... If they're spending time reading internet forums and blogs... is this what they're paid to do? :rolleyes: And of all places, here?

To be fair, most of the actual robotech fan forums have been stamped/burned out. What was a suedo active fanbase 10+ years ago has pretty much dried up. For the most part, ex fans wind up here, and active fans wind up being driven away by their fascist "official forum" policies. What I'm saying is, where else would they go to read about the franchise? :)

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the zealot DOZ fan group. What little I've been able to find of their forum remains seem to be super dead.

If HG was really influenced by this thread they'd have packed it up and called it quits for Robotech and backed off of their strangle hold on bringing Macross over to the US and the rest of the world. But I guess it's progress that they ditched the horrible idea of adapting LLA.

Okay, so they don't listen to us all the time, but at least we're a big enough "influence" to some of their more obsessive staffers (as evidenced by McKeever's weird quotes on his lousy blog, a blog which mind you, rips off from previously more informative, more insightful blog). Good riddance to LLA.

In my blog days, I used to hear things I would say addressed directly at conventions. They'd say things like "Fans on the internet have been saying..." and it was something only I was saying. Then there were times a fan would ask a question at convention and the answer would be something I said almost verbatim in a forum or on my blog.

And now you have none of that except here. Weird. If they value criticism of their work so much, why make it one of their company's mission to ban and suppress, and even mock it at some point?

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the zealot DOZ fan group. What little I've been able to find of their forum remains seem to be super dead.

I think the DoZ's ultimate purpose was to get their lazy "webmaster" to make a lame banner on their dated site.

Edited by chrisk

Here's a thought, would this thread even exist if Macross were making its way overseas?

I mean, would we care what was happening with Robotech if everyone could get their Macross fix legally and all the goodies that come with it?

Technically speaking, we can, along with that which falls into a gray area (fansubs). That's no longer much of a rallying point. I think at this point most of us are content to sit back, munch popcorn, and point and laugh.

Technically speaking, we can, along with that which falls into a gray area (fansubs). That's no longer much of a rallying point. I think at this point most of us are content to sit back, munch popcorn, and point and laugh.

Techincally, fansubs are full-on piracy. Even going as far to buying a ticket to Japan for the sole purpose of buying the Macross DVD's and bringing them back is a gray area. I once read the laws on piracy, and it was ridiculously vague, saying things like you can't bring a DVD into a country if it hasn't been released there, but is intended to be. So, all of those UK DVD's I buy from Amazon's UK site are technically illegal (but often cheater than their US counterparts).

It's all just legal crap written to cover people's asses

It'd be nicer for a Robotech fan to actually not know of all of the things in development and just get a nice surprise here and there. But going convention after convention, there's only so much you can say and you then have to hype up anything and everything that's crossed your desk. Making a re-release of the DVD sets a "big" announcement is the perfect example of that. I'm willing to bet that more than 50% of that audience at Comic-Con was unaware that there wasn't a current company releasing the DVD's.

I bet over 50% of that audience at Comic-Con already bought multiple copies of the Robotech series over the years, and now they, including fans who lurk around robotech.com, should be excited to buy it again?

DoZ is a forum to discuss Robotech on the rare occasion that something happens with Robotech. It's dead because it's not affiliated with Robotech zealots. I don't mean to advertise their site, but since you asked about it, check it out. It's kind of like this thread.

http://www.disciplesofzor.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

I've said it before, but I never believed LLA was being considered for the new Robotech because it's too different from Tommy Yune art and it doesn't allow them to control the animation. It also makes their own animation look bad.

Check out Volton and Thundercats kicking their ass. Wait, I thought their competitors were all going bankrupt because they make things instead of sitting around like Harmony Gold. I thought the recession put a hold on all entertainment and merchandise, but yet here these companies are, still making entertainment and merchandise.

I'm saying this out of frustration because even where I'm from this doesn't happen...

Why do they keep selling the same story over and over and over and over???

A new DVD release? Of a series that was aired in 1985? Come on???

It's understandable if it's a new format... I mean Mobile Suit Gundam has a Blue Ray release.

But how many DVD versions does this have already?

Why? Because they have no clue on how to make a new show, including writing a new story. And refuse to pay someone who "could" be creative, because that would take the power away from the Yunes.

Maybe it's the only way to get rid of old stock. Take it back and re-package in the older ones that didn't sell and then add a new disc with even more rehashed stuff. ANd presto new product.

Sad really.

As for any new stuff. I will trully believe it when it is ever released. These convention tours must be getting old quick. And must be slowly getting rid of fans that still follow. (People do get sick of hearing the same thing again and again)

Only way for them to survive is to really create new "NEW" stuff. Not ripped off or reworks stuff. All their's. But we know that will never happen.

I hate to break it to them the 80's are over.

And in other riverting news. I got my self another Hard drive to save all my important stuff....lol

Edited by Smegalot

Maybe it's the only way to get rid of old stock. Take it back re-package in older ones that didn't sell are and then add a new disc with even more rehashed stuff. ANd presto new product.

Sad really.

As for any new stuff. I will trully belive it when it is ever released. These convention tours must be getting old quick. And must be slowly getting rid of fans that still follow.

Only way for them to survive is to really new "NEW" stuff. Not ripped off or reworks stuff. All their's. But we know that will never happen.

I hate to break it to them the 80's are over.

And in other riverting news. I got my self another Hard drive to save all my important stuff....lol

Unfortunately, that HDD now also belongs to HG. If you do not fedex it to them by 9:00 AM tomorrow, legal action will be taken against you.

You may have noticed most of the people on Robotech.com are now unhappy with Harmony Gold. Kevin of course denies it means anything.

It occured to me today as I looked over at my DVDs. I have Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada. I have a whole set of the supplemental extra raw material from robo-tech. I put it together with all the robo-tech DVDs, I could have like... The Awareness Collection! :lol:

Edited by Legioss

Wait - you only noticed that now? People over there have been unhappy with HG since day one.

I wouldn't say day one, but I definitely give credit to Shadow Chronicles for the turn for the worse scenario. It was right after its release that most of the core group left the site onto other things. As soon as HG went into "defensive" mode, that put them against the ropes. I had a conversation with Steve Yun before I left, where he was accusing me of "attacking the staff" for criticizing the lame poster that promoted the movie. There really was no harm in it. The poster sucked, and I heard that from many fans, including people in the industry, and voice actors as well. In the post I was accused of, I simply criticized the poster, then asked "who does that kind of work anyways?" or something like that. Usually in a larger company, one person doesn't work on a feature film, and design the advertising as well. It's broken into several divisions, or that kind of ad is done by a design firm. So when they accused me of that, Steve asked me "If someone said that one of your customs sucked, would you take offense to that?" And my answer was, "If that is their opinion, it wouldn't bother me, because I know I put 110% into that custom, and for the one who doesn't like it, there's many more that do. If I put all my effort into an item, it's going to show." I guess he didn't like that remark, as he didn't respond, but HG got into defensive mode because they knew they put out a crappy project. If they really put forth the effort in the first place, maybe it would've been better...then again, there is the "I'm in the wrong business" factor. In that case, if that was their best effort, they might wanna rethink who they have on their staff as "creators". A comic book artist, a web site manager, and a previous airport shuttle driver don't sound convincing to me, and it shows. It's like a fanfic writer's wet dream.