HG and Robotech Debates

indeed it may... but WHAT EXACTLY is there in the title logo that so clearly infers that the title should be interpreted as "Two Three" and not "Twenty Three" ?

i apologize for my glaringly obvious stupidity...

Because pretty much all the Japanese promotional stuff is like this:

152652488_1.jpg

However, considering that it was originally meant to refer to the twenty-three wards of Tokyo, I think saying "Twenty-Three" is okay. I don't think anyone in the film calls it one or the other.

Edited by Gubaba

I find it more hilarious how some people pronounce Robotech. There's some I heard that are pronounced as "Row-bowww tech" "Rub-a-tech" "Robe-a-tech", etc. Could be region of origin, but I get a kick out of hearing some of them. Not that it's a bad thing if that's just your accent, but those that just pronounce it wrong because they want to make it sound more fancy or whatever??? Um, please stop. :p

Because pretty much all the Japanese promotional stuff is like this:

152652488_1.jpg

However, considering that it was originally meant to refer to the twenty-three wards of Tokyo, I think saying "Twenty-Three" is okay. I don't think anyone in the film calls it one or the other.

thanks, that clears things up nicely...

I find it more hilarious how some people pronounce Robotech. There's some I heard that are pronounced as "Row-bowww tech" "Rub-a-tech" "Robe-a-tech", etc. Could be region of origin, but I get a kick out of hearing some of them. Not that it's a bad thing if that's just your accent, but those that just pronounce it wrong because they want to make it sound more fancy or whatever??? Um, please stop. :p

or one could just be normal and say "ROW-BOW-TECH"

'sides, ROBOTECH truly IS a fairly retarded name for a televised action/drama, animated or otherwise.

i mean, what about assembly line robots in a car factory for instance? or high-precision robot manipulator arms in a precision electronics factory?

one could technically refer to any of those as "ROBOTECH" and yet,to the best of my personal knowledge at least,

NONE of that crap has ever been powered by, nor ever imbued with any quasi-self-awareness by some magical Marijuana or any such thing of the sort.

regardless, all of those amazing ROBOTECHnical wonders manage to continue to perform their intended jobs just fine, day in and day out,

all under a magical little gee-whiz thing generally referred to as COMPUTER CONTROL...

Edited by Shaorin

You can watch the tv series for free on youtube and hulu. So, I think I'll pass on $100 for it. The bad thing is that I wouldn't mind seeing the documentaries and extras, but not for that price.

Edited by mrhillz

Maybe it's just common place to old schoolers, but that's just the way they named it. "Two Three" I think also has a WWII Japan reference to it, but it's been a while since I've read up on that. There may also be something in the DVD extra's there that explains it, I know my ancient fansub VHS had a blurb about it. Regardless, being a proper name for something, please refer to it accordingly. On the same token, Galaxy Express 999 is pronunced "Three Nine" not "Nine Nine Nine" or "Nine Hundred Ninety Nine."

SAN DIEGO, CA, July 21, 2011 - Long before the current live-action Transformers franchise took over the box office and introduced giant alien robots to a new generation, there was a sweeping animated sci-fi epic that delivered "mecha" to the masses: Robotech. Arriving on U.S. airwaves in the mid-80s via syndication, the legendary space opera - one of the very first anime imports -- helped to usher in the multi-billion dollar anime industry and now, through the cult classic curators at A+E Networks Home Entertainment, the influential series will be reborn on DVD. Working in close conjunction with original Robotech producer Harmony Gold, the franchise will be available in a handsomely-designed collector's set featuring all 85 re-mastered episodes of the engaging and dramatic anime classic. Available for $99.95 SRP, the specially-priced 17-disc set ROBOTECH: THE COMPLETE ORIGINAL SERIES will also feature four exclusive bonus discs with more than 10 hours of bonus content - much of which is new to DVD. The deal was brokered by Content Media Corporation, the worldwide distributor of the series.

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Robotech-The-Complete-Original-Series/15699#ixzz1Sryc051N

I just caught that, wasn't Robotech originally going to compete with Transformers or something of the sorts in the 80's, which was about to start its second season,hence why they had to bring over two unrelated series so it could be in syndication?

Not trying to sound nitpicky, but if you're going to hype, at least get your facts right.

Edited by mrhillz

I have the Megazone 23 Premium Box laserdisc set and included with it is a trailer where they say in English "Megazone Two Three". The Wikipedia article is wrong about it originating in Western fandom. The videos in the LD box and the English version were done in the 80s.

I just caught that, wasn't Robotech originally going to compete with Transformers or something of the sorts in the 80's, which was about to start its second season,hence why they had to bring over two unrelated series so it could be in syndication?

Not trying to sound nitpicky, but if you're going to hype, at least get your facts right.

Transformers...1984. Robotech....1985. :rolleyes:

Frak it... I'm using it.

facepalm.jpg

I saw at youtube a lot of Macross sequels being told as robotech. I wonder if they really think or are just trolls?

robotech frontier lol.

Little from column A, little from column B. Robotech Frontier, Robotech 7, Robotech Plus, etc..... we've heard it all before. Don't even get us started on them incorporating other series, like Gundam or Evangelion...

Are they really going to release just the Southern Cross portions of the Robotech movie? Who really wants not even a third of a movie?

maybe they'll release the whole movie but with the megazone 23 footage replaced by animatics of stick figures drawn in crayon.

:edit:

As long as they can keep the AWESOME alternate ending it will be worth it :p

Edited by anime52k8

I saw at youtube a lot of Macross sequels being told as robotech. I wonder if they really think or are just trolls?

Eh... mostly, they're just ignorant.

Sure, there are some Robotech fans who do that sort of thing because they think it's a really witty way to troll Macross fans. The rest, well, they're either confused or they don't know any better. A big part of the problem is that, over the years, Harmony Gold has put lots of time and energy into convincing Robotech fans to ignore anything to do with Macross. They've told obvious lies about how it's just knocking off Robotech, and told the blind faithful that Macross wasn't worth looking into. The problem was compounded by the way many Robotech fans exhibit a magpie-like tendency to steal anything that isn't nailed down and on fire and add it to Robotech in the fan-fiction and fanmade RPG supplements they made in the glory days of Geocities and Angelfire, and Harmony Gold's attempts to block Macross imports.

Eh... mostly, they're just ignorant.

Sure, there are some Robotech fans who do that sort of thing because they think it's a really witty way to troll Macross fans. The rest, well, they're either confused or they don't know any better. A big part of the problem is that, over the years, Harmony Gold has put lots of time and energy into convincing Robotech fans to ignore anything to do with Macross. They've told obvious lies about how it's just knocking off Robotech, and told the blind faithful that Macross wasn't worth looking into. The problem was compounded by the way many Robotech fans exhibit a magpie-like tendency to steal anything that isn't nailed down and on fire and add it to Robotech in the fan-fiction and fanmade RPG supplements they made in the glory days of Geocities and Angelfire, and Harmony Gold's attempts to block Macross imports.

Hmmm, this brings up a good topic. I've heard from two or three RT fans that Macross has been copying Robotech. The proposed evidence is:

-Ariel/Marlene was one of the good, green blooded aliens, so is Ranka??? I didn't get that one, since Ranka is neither an alien, nor green blooded

-Macross copied the rpg book Lancer's Rockers (Hahaha :lol: ) Because Lancer and his rocker guy fight aliens w/ music weapons, and Basara fights the aliens w/ music. After this, I stopped trying to argue with the guy at this point. It was just too dumb to even try.

-Frontier copied Shadow Chronicles and New Generation, because the aliens are bug like, and have green blood

I don't remember the rest of them, they were really way off base, but maybe someone here can fill me in. And no, I'm not going to point fingers and call the persons names, I was just wondering if anybody here has encountered these claims before. I think taking a small detail of a story doesn't mean they are copying the entire series, or necessarily even that description. There's lots of movies that have evolved, and some are just coincidental, especially considering the two universes of Robotech and Macross are pretty similar.

Hmmm, this brings up a good topic. I've heard from two or three RT fans that Macross has been copying Robotech. The proposed evidence is:

-Ariel/Marlene was one of the good, green blooded aliens, so is Ranka??? I didn't get that one, since Ranka is neither an alien, nor green blooded

-Macross copied the rpg book Lancer's Rockers (Hahaha :lol: ) Because Lancer and his rocker guy fight aliens w/ music weapons, and Basara fights the aliens w/ music. After this, I stopped trying to argue with the guy at this point. It was just too dumb to even try.

-Frontier copied Shadow Chronicles and New Generation, because the aliens are bug like, and have green blood

I don't remember the rest of them, they were really way off base, but maybe someone here can fill me in. And no, I'm not going to point fingers and call the persons names, I was just wondering if anybody here has encountered these claims before. I think taking a small detail of a story doesn't mean they are copying the entire series, or necessarily even that description. There's lots of movies that have evolved, and some are just coincidental, especially considering the two universes of Robotech and Macross are pretty similar.

Can't say I've ever heard these claims, but they're pretty funny. Couldn't you argue the point that Millia/Myria had green hair too, was alien, and the original Macross came out a year or two before Mospeada? Or that the power of song was a strong influence even in the original Macross/Robotech First Generation? Insect like enemies? That's been around for a long time, like in the novel Starship Troopers. I can't believe I'm making an argument of the claims you've heard from Robotech "true fans" . Though didn't we hear once somewhere that the Robotech storyline inspired Big West to do Macross sequels? Also, I would really like to hear some of Harmony Gold's statements trying to get people to ignore later Macross storylines entirely, just for laughs. :D

I'v come to the conclusion, most RT fans(not all)are mentally ill. :huh:

I wouldn't blanket them all, I talk to one quite a bit online, he's pretty sane I would say. We have our disagreements, he doesn't like what HG has done with RT over the last few years either It's just not us "lying macross purists" that aren't happy with the way things are.

I wouldn't blanket them all, I talk to one quite a bit online, he's pretty sane I would say. We have our disagreements, he doesn't like what HG has done with RT over the last few years either It's just not us "lying macross purists" that aren't happy with the way things are.

I just don't understand how they can listen to that archaic dub dialogue as adults.

Here's a rather apt way of saying it.

post-1318-0-48868600-1311404958_thumb.jpg

Here's a rather apt way of saying it.

Yeah, Row boat tech. Those must really come in handy when needing to cross a small pond. They're probably "very tech" savvy, too, as they've probably watched "Muh-CROSs" at least once, maybe even Moresopedia, or at least got info from it... wait, that's encyclopedia. I wonder how that anime is?

Edited by Jasonc

Last time i checked, that boat is suppose to be stuck on a port somewhere in Asia. :D

I was actually gonna do a photoshop with the Hory Froating Head stopping the boat from reaching Western shores, but then I figured, why make more effort than HG, for free?

Hence, the "not all". ;)

I can relate. There's something that I remember from the time before I was exiled from the site. There were quite a few of the hard-core RT-fan elite that would take any sci-fi release in the alst five years, and try to spin it as living proof of the RT-LAM.

Take, for example, the following titles.

Transformers/Transformers 2

District 9

The Last Airbender

And at least one game title by the name of 'C&C-Red Alert 3'...

Now, the introduction of each of these titles was used to show that the RT-LAM was coming, and also, each of them was used to show the supposed influence that RT had on each and every one of them.

Now, I'm sure that there's someone else out there that could explain this better than me, but I simply bring it up as fruther proof od the collective psychosis that permiates that particular fandom.

I can relate. There's something that I remember from the time before I was exiled from the site. There were quite a few of the hard-core RT-fan elite that would take any sci-fi release in the alst five years, and try to spin it as living proof of the RT-LAM.

District 9

The Last Airbender

Now, the introduction of each of these titles was used to show that the RT-LAM was coming, and also, each of them was used to show the supposed influence that RT had on each and every one of them.

Now, I'm sure that there's someone else out there that could explain this better than me, but I simply bring it up as fruther proof od the collective psychosis that permiates that particular fandom.

Uh,,, RT influenced the Transformers movies? Really? And all this time I thought they were influenced by transforming robots from Hasbro. ;)

The Last Airbender

Gee...thought that was due to the successful animated series.

Not sure how a show about giant robots influenced a show about martial arts and uses a whole bunch of Eastern religion concepts in its plot and story....

:rolleyes:

Here's a bright idea, why not use all of RT's "influence", "'tech-saviness", and awe-inspiring story and characters and influence a rewrite so it doesn't continually lean on 3 unrelated shows from the 1980s. No more animation discontinuities, explanations of weird tech or story points, etc. Heck, DC Comics just rebooted their entire freakin' universe to make it appeal to new readers. Transformers has done it twice within the past few years with their successful cartoons. Use that awe-inspiring "influence" to influence a freakin' reboot. But then you would need competent people for that... :rolleyes:

Here's a bright idea, why not use all of RT's "influence", "'tech-saviness", and awe-inspiring story and characters and influence a rewrite so it doesn't continually lean on 3 unrelated shows from the 1980s. No more animation discontinuities, explanations of weird tech or story points, etc. Heck, DC Comics just rebooted their entire freakin' universe to make it appeal to new readers. Transformers has done it twice within the past few years with their successful cartoons. Use that awe-inspiring "influence" to influence a freakin' reboot. But then you would need competent people for that... :rolleyes:

I would have thought Yune's fetish for drawing big fake titied whores would have prompted that very act by now. How does he resist?

District 9

The Last Airbender

after all, we ALL know that RT has been AT LEAST as successful and influential in the SF world as STAR TREK has ever been,

and that it is a well known fact that the late GENE RODDENBERRY himself was most keenly interested in personally helming

a top-budget PARAMOUNT PICTURES RT-LAM production all those years ago, right before his untimely demise...

Edited by Shaorin

For goodness sake, the Thundercats reboot premieres in 5 days. If the freakin' Thundercats can do it, why not Robotech, if it's such a inspiring show.

after all, we ALL know that RT has been AT LEAST as successful and influential in the SF world as STAR TREK has ever been,

and that it is a well known fact that the late GENE RODDENBERRY himself was most keenly interested in personally helming

a top-budget PARAMOUNT PICTURES RT-LAM production all those years ago, right before his untimely demise...

You forgot to add that Gene Roddenberry saw (and was influenced by) RT through a rip in the space-time continuum. It's a well-known fact, after all. I mean, anti-matter warp drive is really just Protoculture-driven Fold drive in disguise.

I mean, how could Gene tie those three different sci-fi space exploration shows together? It was just pure coincidence that they had ships that looked EXACTLY THE SAME! And the cast was the same between these three shows? Just a happy circumstance, after all.

OHHH!!! Let's not forget George Lucas! Princess Leia? Pure Minmei clone, dude!!!

(Okay, I gotta stop... otherwise, I'll yak up my lunch.)

This issue has created a monster...Or at least brought it to light. Thanks(?) for showing the ridiculous process behind this trend from the out to lunch RT group.