Scratchbuilding an ARMD-01

Valkyrie

31 members have voted

1. 1. What scale would you like to see this in?

• 1/1000 - 17.7 in.
    • 1/1200 - 14.7 in.
    • 1/1400 - 12.6 in.

Being at Wonderfest this weekend has gotten a lot of gears turning in my head. For the past few years, pretty much all of my modeling time has been taken up casting, and I haven't gotten anything creative finished in ages. But now, I'm determined to change all that.

So I've decided to resurrect an old project that I never really got off the ground. A large scale movie-type ARMD-01. I know how I'm going to do most of it (including getting a little help on etching the deck), and now I'm going to get off my ass and make it happen.

The only thing I'm not sure of is the scale. I know I want it to me at least 12" long, but I'm not sure how big will be too big (and too expensive). I was thinking either 1/1000 or 1/1400 (both 'real' scales), which would put it at 17.7" and 12.6" respectively. But I was also thing of splitting the difference at 1/1200, which would be 14.7". But I'm not sure that's a generally accepted scale.

So I pose the question to you, fellow modelers. Which scale/size would you prefer, both in terms of size and price? I can only guess what the end cost would be, but I'd estimate a 12" kit would end up costing around $100. And obviously, a bigger kit would be more expensive.

Although bigger is usually better, I vote for 1/1400 too. Seems there's more stuff to compare with in-scale.

This will be an awesome project!

What you really need to ask is will it fit in your casting pot ? Or do you need to build a new one first. :)

I think 1/400 would make it about right, when you look at other large scale ships from various SciFi's most seem to top out at a max of 18" long.

I know there are a few exceptions though.

For example the MPC kit of the U.S.S Cygnus works out to be 2 foot long and they missed out a section of the hull which when reproduced makes it about 28" long.

You need some where special to store that baby. :)

Yea, that is a factor. I have a 5 gallon pressure pot, so I can cast some fairly large stuff, but I'm not sure if I could do a 1/1000 version with the equipment I have now. I'm sure the other two would be no problem tho.

1/700 would make it in scale with the Valhalla from VF-X and the neat fighters that came with it.

that size likely would make it prohibitively expensive for most, but i would buy one though.

1/1000 would make it roughly in scale with the Macross Quarter DX

Whichever scale I end up going with, I want to try to include some 3D printed Valkyries and launch arms to include with it, that can be placed on the launch bays :)

This is a great ideal. Maybe you could also include some destroids as well. Then you could also sell the valkyries and destroids as a separate set too. I'm sure people would gladly by multiples of a mech set. If it sells well, maybe you could then do a Prometheus and a Daedalus version as well. Then you would have an entire line.

As for scale, what about 1/700? It is a standard ship scale and there would be a lot of possibilities with commercially existing kits for dioramas and such. I know that this would make the kit more expensive though. How long would it be in 1/700? Just a suggestion. I hope this gets made regardless of scale. Good luck!

The main reason I would lobby for 1/1000 is the amount of anime ships that are available in that scale.

Captain Harlock's Arcadia

Space Cruiser Yamato

honneamise's Oberth

Plus the Polar Lights TOS and Movie era Enterprise plus conversion kits, the AMT Excelsior and Enterprise B.

There are probably more out there that I don't know about or can think of.

However, I fully understand if you are limited due to equipment capabilities.

Regardless of size, I will be in for at least one.

Edited by azrhino

This is a great ideal. Maybe you could also include some destroids as well. Then you could also sell the valkyries and destroids as a separate set too. I'm sure people would gladly by multiples of a mech set.

As for scale, what about 1/700? It is a standard ship scale and there would be a lot of possibilities with commercially existing kits for dioramas and such. I know that this would make the kit more expensive though. How long would it be in 1/700? Just a suggestion. I hope this gets made regardless of scale. Good luck!

i'll be all over the valks and destroids. if they are 3D printed, they can readily be made in different scales.

ARMD is 450m so 64cm/25in in 1/700. quite big, but as you said, a very popular scale for ships, including those from anime

The Oberth is in the TV 'universe', though. I'm building the movie-type ARMD. So that's less of an issue to me.

Oh, and it's a poll now! Sweet!

Thanks to whichever mod made it happen :)

Edited by Valkyrie

I would like it in 1/1000. It will go with the 1/1000 Oberth frigate.

I'm with you Neptune, TV or movie doesn't matter, it's all about ships being in scale with other ships. 1/1000 is my vote.

The Oberth is in the TV 'universe', though. I'm building the movie-type ARMD. So that's less of an issue to me.

Oh, and it's a poll now! Sweet!

Thanks to whichever mod made it happen :)

No prob.

Love the oberth. If the Prometheus and the daedalus were in DYRL I'm sure the oberth made it over also(in theory). Too bad I didn't get one though.

OK, I voted 1/1000. I have the Oberth and would love to have them in the same scale. I know I suggested 1/1400 earlier in the thread, but I guess bigger is better.

It doesn't matter too much though, because I've been wanting a nice size ARMD kit for a long time and I'm sure I'll pick up whatever you produce.

First of all, this post should be moved to 'Building/Customizing Macross Models & Toys' section. :ph34r:

,and I vote for 1/1000 :lol: It should be roughly the size of widescreen 20inch monitor. Plenty of areas to add details and LED lighting and motions!!

Alright, first build update! Sort of, anyway.

So, on the way home from Wonderfest, I met up with some family in Indiana, and to make a long story short, my cousin ended up giving me his laser engraving machine! It's kind of a beast, and the work area isn't quite as big as I'd like, but it's looking like this thing is going to be extremely useful! It'll let me do a lot more of the project in-house, instead of spending money and calling in favors to get some parts of it done.

After spending the night jumping through a lot of hoops getting everything set up, and the CAD files imported into the machine's software, I finally have a test piece to show off. So I give you, the deck plate (at an arbitrary scale of 4.5"), laser etched at low power onto a piece of scrap MDF board.

post-50-0-21622900-1305794599_thumb.jpg

I've also tried etching onto lexan (with decent results) and styrene (with horrible results). So I'm going to have to figure out what the ideal material for the job will be.

Alright, we seem to have a clear winner, so I'm going to call this thing. 1/1000 it is! And I have to say, I'm pretty happy with that result :)

After some research and experimenting, it's looking like most of the laser cut pieces will be acrylic. I've gotten some very good results etching lines in the stuff. They're a tiny bit wider than I can scribe by hand, but a hell of a lot cleaner!

I'm going to be working on the CAD drawings for the next few days, but I can't wait to start cutting out parts and building up the basic shape of the ship!

The goal is to have this thing ready for sale in 6 months. Wish me luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...