Sheryl Kiss in the Galaxy

The 'slator didn't got some of the terminologies right, as she probably picked up the manga and just worked on it immediately without asking for technical help.

The manga, however badly written, is nevertheless a plausible look into Sheryl's dark past and how she became the biggest pop star in Galaxy.

Edited by soul.assassin

lol sup SA

In capable hands Kiss in the Galaxy could've been really good, and the bits about Sheryl's backstory are definetly interesting.

Soon after beginning however it reaches the "current" Frontier timeline and becomes its own substandard version of the story (though it resembles the film storyline more than series).

I haven't yet the final volume but based on what I've heard the changes mangaka introduced to Sayonara were just...poo.

Edited by Xard

Well, it really follows classic shoujo pattern which I find interesting and fun to see in Macross franchise. So that's where the reminder comes from.

It's just that all developments are rushed or poorly paced, at least in first chapters. And changes to core story of MacrossF it ends up covering are just...no good. No good at all.

Edited by Xard

Well, it really follows classic shoujo pattern which I find interesting and fun to see in Macross franchise. So that's where the reminder comes from.

It's just that all developments are rushed or poorly paced, at least in first chapters. And changes to core story of MacrossF it ends up covering are just...no good. No good at all.

HA! Wait til you see Volume 2...

Brera...

...disguised as Alto...

...shooting Sheryl...

...with a laser...

...in his finger.

EDIT: The art reamains spectacular, however.

Edited by Gubaba

Looked at it closely, yes. Actually sat down with a Japanese dictionary and read it, no.

Again, the story's not very good but the art is excellent.

(Ahh, I thought you were fluent in japanese. Sorry)

In that case you can probably confirm if this kind of summary is correct:

"In the Sheryl comic, Brera survives and there is a lot of siscon innuendo. Sheryl is waiting for Alto while apparently Ranka is waiting for Brera in the end."

I wasn't sure if I wanted to rage or facepalm more when I read that. So if I understand this correctly

Sheryl DOESN'T fall in coma in the comic at all...while Ranka is thrown in brocon territory? Jesus, changing the former plot detail takes a lot of dramatic power of the ending away and as such is hack move, but the rather is just facepalm worthy shipper bullshit. I was so happy they didn't end up travelling down the "Kaifun road" with Brera in the series OR the film, which destroyed that ship for good by killing Brera.

That last part sounds like it's from some shitty fanfic. Hell, both changes sound like they're from shitty fanfic

If above happened I don't know what to say...

I agree the art is excellent though

Edited by Xard

(Ahh, I thought you were fluent in japanese. Sorry)

In that case you can probably confirm if this kind of summary is correct:

"In the Sheryl comic, Brera survives and there is a lot of siscon innuendo. Sheryl is waiting for Alto while apparently Ranka is waiting for Brera in the end."

I wasn't sure if I wanted to rage or facepalm more when I read that. So if I understand this correctly

Sheryl DOESN'T fall in coma in the comic at all...while Ranka is thrown in brocon territory? Jesus, changing the former plot detail takes a lot of dramatic power of the ending away and as such is hack move, but the rather is just facepalm worthy shipper bullshit. I was so happy they didn't end up travelling down the "Kaifun road" with Brera in the series OR the film, which destroyed that ship for good by killing Brera.

That last part sounds like it's from some shitty fanfic. Hell, both changes sound like they're from shitty fanfic

If above happened I don't know what to say...

I agree the art is excellent though

There's been a lot of chatter about the incestuous implications between Ranka and Brera in the comic...to me, I think this is simply a case of people seeing what they want to see.

So yeah, I think that part is overstated by zealous fans.

Otherwise...no, Sheryl doesn't fall into a coma, and yes, Alto and Brera return at the end.

Oh, and the mastermind behind Galaxy is a Goth Loli Maid.

There's been a lot of chatter about the incestuous implications between Ranka and Brera in the comic...to me, I think this is simply a case of people seeing what they want to see.

So yeah, I think that part is overstated by zealous fans.

Otherwise...no, Sheryl doesn't fall into a coma, and yes, Alto and Brera return at the end.

Oh, and the mastermind behind Galaxy is a Goth Loli Maid.

oh god more I learn more I want to read this out of morbid curiosity :lol:

Well, I'm glad if it's just shippers being shippers. I usually don't mind Japan's onii-chan imouto obsessions but I don't want to see that junk interfere with Macross. Kaifun as a cousin was already there on the borders, Brera/Ranka ship is just...no <_<

So we see them actually return? Meh, I preferred the more subtly implied possibility of happy ending in the film. That sounds just too easy and comfy for the characters if the manga follows at all the mood and increased level of darkness Sayonara no Tsubasa had. Then again, in hands of the mangaka I'm not so sure about that either...

Goth Loli Maid...ahhaahhahahhaahahahahahaa that's hysterical. I kind of want to see that now :lol:

One question now nags me: just how much "canon" this manga is sticking to? So far IMHO this is the only official publication that discusses about Sheryl's background.

OBTW, the official site: http://betsufure.net/lineup/sheryl/

EDIT: Oh, damn. Didn't know that Kawamori is on it.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/20077/Sheryl_~Kiss_in_the_Galaxy~/moreinfo

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-05-28/macross-frontier-movie-launches-shojo-manga-series

Edited by soul.assassin

One question now nags me: just how much "canon" this manga is sticking to? So far IMHO this is the only official publication that discusses about Sheryl's background.

OBTW, the official site: http://betsufure.net/lineup/sheryl/

EDIT: Oh, damn. Didn't know that Kawamori is on it.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/20077/Sheryl_~Kiss_in_the_Galaxy~/moreinfo

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-05-28/macross-frontier-movie-launches-shojo-manga-series

Well, it can't be terribly "canon" because it diverges almost completely from the story presented in either the TV series or the movie.

As for Kawamori's involvement, I suspect (and it's ONLY a suspicion) that he probably gave the manga artist a brief note about Sheryl's past, and let her do all the rest.

That said, again, as much as I dislike the story in the comic, I really love the art, and some of the concert scenes are beautifully done.

After reading the (rather perplexing) first chapter, I'd like to see the rest... But it can't beat the Marimite (Maria-sama ga Miteru) manga adaptation.

All three volumes are easily available from amazon.co.jp, cdjapan, or pretty much anywhere else you can think of. The story's pretty easy to follow, even if you don't speak Japanese.

• 2 weeks later...

HA! Wait til you see Volume 2...

Brera...

...disguised as Alto...

...shooting Sheryl...

...with a laser...

...in his finger.

EDIT: The art reamains spectacular, however.

That is the most ridiculously awesome sounding thing I've heard in this series. :lol:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looked at it closely, yes. Actually sat down with a Japanese dictionary and read it, no.

Again, the story's not very good but the art is excellent.

Japanese Dictionary huh? Where can I get my hands on one?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I was quite happy when I first heard they were going to do a story about Sherly, as for me, her character was the most interesting and had most potential. I was hoping they would steer away from that all too familiar story branch which lead to Frontier. I was hoping the story would go this way :

A brief moment of her visit to see her grandma Mao Nome and a chance meeting with Ranka but that's all (she doesn't remembers it later). She returns to Galaxy with her mum and later the hellish nightmare after her mum passed away and she's all alone with no one to fend for her. She's then 'rescued' by Grace and experimented on as Fairy 9. As Sherly grows up and became a singer, we get to see what's life on Galaxy looks like, development of the VF-27, cloning of Brera and gathering of Grace's accomplices. As Sherly became famous, she met her first love (not Alto), a young hot shot pilot (NUNS) but was betrayed and the incident left her so emotionally lost that it affected her performance as a singer. It came to a point where Grace considered dumping her. But it was at this moment that Sherly remembers the hellish years and picked herself up and practically crawl her way back to the music charts. She developed a hard outer shell so that no one can get in and hurt her emotionally and believes that no one should chart her destiny but herself. The last volume - Sherly begins her Galaxy tour, just when she was about to board her ship, the hotshot pilot realized his mistake and hoped for a 2nd chance but Sherly's heart has gone icy cold. As the tour continued, Sherly's heart began to warm up enough to have somebody get close to her and ends as her tour ship jumped in towards Frontier.

There enough stuff here to make a 12 episode anime. But seeing the reviews from a few fans, alas this is not going to be.

• 1 year later...

Wait - the one spoiler I found in another place somehow had Sheryl and Ranka both in wedding dresses in a church so I thought it was actually Sheryl/Ranka there... but BreRanka was something that did NOT come into my mind (and still does not fit in there).

The thread is rather old - I wonder if any decent synopsis exists now? I am definitely not importing this stuff.

• 9 months later...

This is Sheryl version about what happened in Frontier, perhaps just a dream after ep#? in tv series, being under extreme stress, when she realized Grace was not good, is killing her with V-Type virus infection, and replaced easily her with Ranka, Ranka has more power on her music, Alto is still not focused on her, etc, etc.

In this Sheryl´s dream:

- Alto fall in love amolst inmdeaditly.

- Grace is like Sheryl´s lovely mother.

- Nobody dies.

- Sheryl has more "music power" than Ranka.

- Sheryl married Alto.

BR