Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force

From just cursory comparisons - looks like the 'off' detailing may be due to the head stripes not tapering down as far as in the line art and also the visor not being as 'open' - looks a little "squinty", here is a quick comparison;

post-1623-0-60313400-1329100116_thumb.jpg

Good points.

Graham

I definitely want the Macross 7 Valks despite the fact that Macross 7 is at the bottom of the list of my favorite Macross series/movies. I seriously tried watching it very recently and could not get past episode 2. This was probably my third or fourth attempt trying to watch it and is the furthest I have ever gotten. As a Macross fan, I gotta get through it some time but it's so difficult. Just something about it totally turns me off. It really does feel like a chore to watch. I'll try again one day and get through it. It's supposed to get a lot better but just getting over that initial hump is killing me.

I'm in full agreement, bro.

Anyhow, I'm looking at the VF-19S as my first purchase followed by the VF-17S. I'll save Basara for after I've exhausted all other things Valk from Yamato or Bandai. I only hope the VF-17S will be re-released with the fast packs.

:lol: Now that it's been mentioned. I can't not see a cherry on a cupcake when looking at the 1/60 17D's head sensor.

Of course I'd have preferred it to be made out of clear red plastic like the visor and obviously shaped less like cherry... but I still like it as it is. The VF-17D's head design is arguably my favorite.

From just cursory comparisons - looks like the 'off' detailing may be due to the head stripes not tapering down as far as in the line art and also the visor not being as 'open' - looks a little "squinty", here is a quick comparison;

post-1623-0-60313400-1329100116_thumb.jpg

This ^

Another comparison:

17_head.jpg

Been waiting for this VF for years so I'll still buy it anyway :)

This ^

Another comparison:

<pic snip>

Been waiting for this VF for years so I'll still buy it anyway :)

Not pushing the panic button yet but the shade of gray on the head does need to be darker too.

Love the look of the 17D head in that screen cap from the OP.

Edited by IXTL

On the topic of the Super Pack, I just realised that the pieces under the wings will need to be removed and placed onto the legs in B-mode. I wonder if it's similar for the pieces that end up on the battroid's back.

Edited by IXTL

On the topic of the Super Pack, I just realised that the pieces under the wings will need to be removed and placed onto the legs in B-mode. I wonder if it's similar for the pieces that end up on the battroid's back.

they don't get removed, they're still on the legs, they just fold out for fighter mode.

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macross7/vf-17s-superpack/vf-17s-superpack-fighter-lineart.gif

Okay... I apologize for using Kurisama, Rejavi, and GGemini's pics, but for good reference and cause. I agree that the VF-17D's head looks a bit weird... Yamato could at least follow some of the relative line art aspects. Such as the areas marked in their respective colors.

Green: this piece should be one and not two separate pieces. I know Yamato's current method makes the engineering/assembly process easier, but at least they can taper down the top of the sides on the green section. Not where it currently stands on their wonderfestival display. It shouldn't go above the head turret base.

Blue: Possibly the revised shape of the top (gray) part of the head. In conjunction with the magenta section.

Magenta: I feel that the top (gray) part of the head shouldn't extend all the way out to the back edge. Close, but not exact. Refer to the line art for a better idea.

Red: Agreeing with everyone else here... the sensor should be transparent, at least not something so bright, or even a bit smaller. The visor should be taller... extended in the vertical directions.

Teal: Yes, the lines should be re-positioned.

And yes... the illustration sucks (it looks more like a clown than ever!). I'm still new at using a wacom tablet. The pic is just for a general idea of how much more accurate the head can be to the line art using the actual reference points which feature the VF-17S' icon head.

post-4919-0-09623800-1329119581_thumb.jpg

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

17D head looks fine to me -_-

Yea... it looks 'fine', but not $300 fine. Currently for some reason it reminds me of a helmetless Robocop:

***EDIT***

Sorry forgot to add... 'plenty of fivehead (forehead+1)', maybe sixhead depending how much you add to the math, lol.

post-4919-0-96086500-1329121071.jpg

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

Yea... it looks 'fine', but not $300 fine. Currently for some reason it reminds me of a helmetless Robocop:

***EDIT***

Sorry forgot to add... 'plenty of fivehead (forehead+1)', maybe sixhead depending how much you add to the math, lol.

Admit it, 17D head looks way better than George Costanza :D

George-costanza.jpg

Edited by charger69

Although I like the current head sculpt, I agree the proposed changes would make it look even better and closer to the lineart.

However, the whole cherry cupcake thing is gonna be permanently stuck in my head when I look at it now.

Graham

Well, just got a short email reply from Yamato about the VF-17D head:

I have passed your comments to the guy in charge. We are going to release 17D around XXXX. and the sculpt is not final.

I will keep you posted.

So there is hope for change.

Graham

Well, just got a short email reply from Yamato about the VF-17D head:

I have passed your comments to the guy in charge. We are going to release 17D around XXXX. and the sculpt is not final.

I will keep you posted.

So there is hope for change.

Graham

Arghhhhhhhhh!!!! The cupcake valk gets instant attention and reply by Yamato! Where's the v2 Stealth and Low Vis? :( *Runs in circles in bedroom while whining to the roof*

This is torture!

well, ya know, Yamato's also gonna be selling a giant dildo:

VF-19KAI_Speaker Pod Gamma.jpg

:D

Is this how baby valks are made? :lol:

About the fast packs:

I hope a much more reasonable price. The sound booster for the 19s was a steal. And if the are going to over price it again it whould be nice if yamato includes a FOLD BOOSTER.

I have beeing waithing for a damn fold boster for my YF-21. No I'm going to need one for my 17 :) and may be more since I will be getin' on or 2 of those 17D.

They're joking right? Still no tampo on the D? I'm holding off buying any Vf-17 until they tampo it. For the crazy price they're asking it's the least they can do.

Thank goodness the designers liked the lines on it as well, otherwise, we might have had to sticker those on ourslevees like with some model kit or something. (^.^;)