Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force

We don't use metric 'round these parts, stranger.

The metric system is the future!!

Come on repeat with me: 10 millimeters (mm) = 1 centimeter (cm). 100 centimeter = 1 meter (m). 1000 meter (m) = 1 kilometer (km)

See? Very easy.

:lol: :lol:

I wouldn't base your evaluation of Yamato's promotional effectiveness just on how excited people get for a toy around here.

Because if that were the case, then the VF-11 must have been the most successful thing ever :3

Nah, MW is too loud to take seriously :D Actually, I base it on jenius comments about his retailer friend in Japan, ff95gj's comments regarding Toysdaily, and because Bandai has been riding the money wave with all their hard to get DX valks since the VF-27. The Bandai thing could be because retailers ordered less out of fear... but they still are out of stock and bandai keeps making new ones.

That the YF-21/22 has been having heavy discounts for a looong time is also a factor for me: The 21 is a second class main valk, same as with the 17... and the 21 did enjoy a loong promotion process (we got to see protos in many colors and I think one was even transparent... and it even had a TV commercial showing it off). So, methinks, if the 21 enjoyed so much promotion and it didn't sell as well as the YF-19, even with two other canon schemes, what hopes has a 300 USD non promoted 17?... ( good I hope for the good of Macross toys... :ph34r: )

Edited by Twoducks

Yeah I can't say anything about jenius and his friend but I thought Toysdaily was primarily a China based board. Which as far as I know, ain't in legal Macross territories.

And give the VF-17 some credit. The YF-21 is only in four episodes of an OVA (or movie) and its derivatives have even less screen time. The VF-17 is in the opening credits, has a main character as pilot, and appears in most of the series. Plus it had exposure as an old DX toy and model kit.

And in the age of the internet where most collectors are wired in like a Gibsonian wet dream, what more do they have to do?

I didn’t use to use metric system either but, as Ignacio said, it’s easy and what I have to use nowadays for my job.

no you see

Macross toys only come in two sizes: VF-1 and larger than VF-1 :3

I won't say my buddies at TD may represent the target audience of Yamato, which should be the local Japanese. Nonetheless, suppose they are a good reference as Hong Kong, while is under China territory, more resembles the Japanese market than the north America or other parts of the world, in terms of culture (we grew up watching jap animes on TV), buying power (both the price of those merchanises and dispensable income), and that they are dedicated toy fans (and especially Macross).

Most of they wouldn't get it on day 1 because of the price. Once it gets a price slash I think many of them will bite the bullet.

I won't say my buddies at TD may represent the target audience of Yamato, which should be the local Japanese. Nonetheless, suppose they are a good reference as Hong Kong, while is under China territory, more resembles the Japanese market than the north America or other parts of the world, in terms of culture (we grew up watching jap animes on TV), buying power (both the price of those merchanises and dispensable income), and that they are dedicated toy fans (and especially Macross).

Most of they wouldn't get it on day 1 because of the price. Once it gets a price slash I think many of them will bite the bullet.

i reckon most of you fans of there in HK also don't have to pay the exorbitant shipping-costs that us fans over here have to always seriously consider.

i reckon most of you fans of there in HK also don't have to pay the exorbitant shipping-costs that us fans over here have to always seriously consider.

Exactly something we share with the local japanese collectors; these goods are more readily available and cheaper.

Buying decisions are easier to justify.

Nah, MW is too loud to take seriously :D Actually, I base it on jenius comments about his retailer friend in Japan, ff95gj's comments regarding Toysdaily, and because Bandai has been riding the money wave with all their hard to get DX valks since the VF-27. The Bandai thing could be because retailers ordered less out of fear... but they still are out of stock and bandai keeps making new ones.

That the YF-21/22 has been having heavy discounts for a looong time is also a factor for me: The 21 is a second class main valk, same as with the 17... and the 21 did enjoy a loong promotion process (we got to see protos in many colors and I think one was even transparent... and it even had a TV commercial showing it off). So, methinks, if the 21 enjoyed so much promotion and it didn't sell as well as the YF-19, even with two other canon schemes, what hopes has a 300 USD non promoted 17?... ( good I hope for the good of Macross toys... :ph34r: )

I think the Macross F stuff sold mainly because the media tie ins are current and Macross F is on TV. Macross Zero didn't seem anywhere near as popular as Macross F, if we are to compare the media tie ins. I mean I see Macross F keychains, business cards with Alto's face printed on them, cosplay stuff, boob mousepads for Ranka and Sheryl, PVC statues, et al, and this is in addition to the plamo and DX toys. It's been a while since we've seen Macross this popular.

As for the YF-19 outselling the YF-21, iirc wasn't the YF-21 more expensive(prior to the reissues from last year) since it was bundled with the stand and FAST packs? I remember it being priced either the same or close to Nora's SV-51. Plus the YF-19 was the hero mecha of Macross Plus.

What fuels the appeal for a VF-17 toy is the fact that we never actually had a fully articulated VF-17. The old DX couldn't bend it's knees backwards without modification, the legs couldn't pivot outwards, and the fighter mode, while the VF-17 is bulky, the DX toy looked fat. I'm not knocking the toy but these are the reasons why there is demand for an all new toy; the DX is dated and fans know Yamato could pull off a much better toy, especially in light of what they did with the Fire Valkyrie.

I'm itching to see how Yamato's VF-17 turns out. I would expect it to be robust and tough. I always liked the VF-17, it's a unique VF. I think the price is the main detractor, if the quality is on par if not better than the Fire Valkyrie, I think sales will pick up once the 1st reviews are posted.

It wouldn't hurt to see the tampo printed details too, looks bland without them.

Interesting that it's under valkyries, not to derail the thread much but does this have to do with HG's blocking of Macross products by yamato on BBTS? I remember there being something about that a while back. Notice how there is nothing Toynami related in the valkyries section, and vice-versa very little except old 1/48 toys are listed for Yamato in the Macross category, yet Bandai appears in both. Even if you go to their yamato page and click on macross there's nothing there really. Anyway back on track. Sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere before I just now noticed it. Also I don't shop there too often as it is more expensive than getting items elsewhere to include Ebay at times.

Edited by kanedaestes

Interesting that it's under valkyries, not to derail the thread much but does this have to do with HG's blocking of Macross products by yamato on BBTS? I remember there being something about that a while back. Notice how there is nothing Toynami related in the valkyries section, and vice-versa very little except old 1/48 toys are listed for Yamato in the Macross category, yet Bandai appears in both. Even if you go to their yamato page and click on macross there's nothing there really. Anyway back on track. Sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere before I just now noticed it. Also I don't shop there too often as it is more expensive than getting items elsewhere to include Ebay at times.

Yeah, you've got a good point there...

i think i'm gonna pass for this bird..

first it's to damn expensive and second .. i just hate the design.. look bulky i rather like the vf 171 design.. but i do hope the trend for yamato releasing a valk with a price over 19000 yen will end.. and i'm still waiting for a miracle release of a vf 4 for the 30th anniversary .. coz you know 2012 is the year when misa and hikaru lift off to space with the vf 4 as the main fighter for the fleet

It's so awesome how it's not out yet but you know what the build quality is like and other people already know all the features and gimmicks! Now if only those of you blessed with prescient sight would use your gifts for things like world peace and not just toys

Edited by eugimon

It's so awesome how it's not out yet but you know what the build quality is like and other people already know all the features and gimmicks! Now if only those of you blessed with prescient sight would use your gifts for things like world peace and not just toys

bah, world peace is overrated. If I had the level of omniscience some people on this sight have I'd be picking lotto numbers right now so wouldn't have to complain about how much these toys cost.

Edited by anime52k8

I think being a modern transforming VF-17 is a pretty big gimmick. It's the one they always list on the package.

*Troll face*

Yeah, I think we're taking the fact that the thing is a PT for granted cuz its Yamato. Considering the previous Bandai, this is a pretty big feat, even if it is Yamato.

I don't know I just started re-watching Mac 7, which made me much more comfortable about all the dough I dropped on the 19 kai and sound booster, while also giving me a greater appreciation for the 17. Is my appreciation for said valk enough for me to want to buy one? Hell no, but when the second release is out, or the newer version or whatever Yamato decides to do, with a decent price cut, I'll be happy to grab one. There just still isn't enough to this thing for me justify that price, but I am growing fonder of it.