Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force

I looked at it and thought hard what it doesn't look right to me -- It's the mecha design.

While the finishing is Yamato-class, in previous models you get decoration/ contrast colors here and there. However, the VF-17 looks like a plastic kit in the 80s, molded and light grey and black, built without receiving further paint works. However, it's the way the VF-17 was designed.

I believe once it gets tampoed and panel-lined it would look much better.

For those of you who think this is chunky in fighter mode keep in mind you want the "gunpod in leg" gimmick and the landing gear thing which needs to share space, so do take into account "durability" issue. If it holds together well and still looks decent in fighter mode (as opposed to being really slim but with no gunpod storage gimmick) that is ok to me personally.

The vf-22 had no place to store the gunpods so it can still look as a slim fighter. (ie the gunpods sit in the fighter mode hip belly plate - but the toy doesn't let you squeeze them in)

I don't expect that with vf-17 so I'm not as shocked like the rest of the people here. I want durability and chunky battroid mode for this mech. When standing next to a vf-11 I want this to look bulky while the vf-11 is skinny.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Reminds me of the YF-19; too skinny in battroid mode and too fat in fighter mode. Color me disappointed. I'm glad I pre-ordered the VF-19S instead.

:edit:

And it's not even the legs that make it look fat. I don't mind the thick legs in fighter mode and I'm sure the alignment issues are just because it's a resin sculpt that quite peg together perfectly. What Makes it look fat is Nose cone; it's too thick and blunt looking. If the made the nose thinner and more pointed it would give the whole thing a nicer shape.

Edited by anime52k8

The other pictures make this look much better. I like big girls too, but I just put $$$ down for a YF-21 and fold booster, so Ima gonna have to pass on this for a while. With the Vf-25F and S I have yet to pay for, plus all the other valks I want, I think this is on the back-burner.

WOW!

US$284 not including shipping. That is absurd. The toy has nothing special. It is not a limited edition or has multiple accessories.

As I said on a previous post, this is the end for me as far as collecting 1/60 valks, either from Yamato or Bandai.

This is a VF-17, not a VF-171!

Graham

I know, but I want it to look like this:

TOY-RBT-1940_05.jpg

a nose closer to the profile art and everything else the same would look so much better in my eyes.

Problem is that side view art which everybody is comparing the toy to is terribly inaccurate as well. The legs, intakes, micro-missile ports, feet are all impossibly slim.

Graham

And like I said, the the legs, intakes, shoulders, feet, etc. all look fine on the toy, but the nose looks like you threw it at a wall.

I only saw the pictures of the nightmare today.

It's not striking, it looks quite dumb looking to be honest and the absurd high price i doubt anybody except a crazy person here and there will buy 1 or even more. Quite disspointing...

The anime look doens't work, they should have gone for a more realistic mold and half the price for me to be remotely interested in this mech.

First of all: the fighter "lineart" posted is NOT a VF17 correct lineart at all. It comes from the MPlus TIA book and was not drawn by Kawamori. It's like taking the VF25 "lineart" from the Master Files as reference.

This new incarnation of the VF17 looks very good in fighter and gerwalk. Battroid is really good looking too, even if - given the price and being unable to get multiples - I'll wait for a 17D as my Bandai 17S looks quite good in battroid, too.

TOY-RBT-1940_05.jpg

I think the proportion looks OK. The only problem I have is the big area of internal white color showing at the knee joints. It may be a miss transform since in all other VF you only extend the knee joints for gerwalk mode, but given the ankle guard location I guess it's not the case. If it has to be this way then please paint that area to the same dark blue. It's a stealth fighter so at least make it looks like one.