Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force

If the CAD art in the background is anything to go by, it looks like the lower legs and thighs are going to be rather skinny. In fact, the VF-19 legs seem a lot fatter. Too early to say though.

OMG, OMG, OMG!

I think the legs will look chunkier from the sides. Besides, the VF-19 Kai's legs also don't look as chunky on CAD as they do in real life.

Edited by Twoducks

I don't think the legs will be as fat as we want them considering how they sit in fighter mode, and having a slim fighter means having a slim leg. The VF-19 gets away with it because the legs sit on the side in fighter, while on this they turn sideways and sit underneath the fighter. Still a gorgeous prototype so far.

I'm fine with the proportions of the battroid according to that CAD drawing. I think it looks pretty darn good actually and it's still thicker than the 171's proportions. I think if the 17 were redone as a CG model, its proportions would probably be pretty close to that, just as the VB-6's proportions were redone to fit as a 3D model for Frontier vs how it appears as hand-drawn line art.

Badass!!!

but how is it supposed to stow that huge gunpod in its leg?

It will be interesting to see how Yamato pulls that off. The gunpod folds up to about 2/3rds its fully deployed length. Even so, it will be a tight fit I think. The way the line art shows it seems impossible as the gunpod goes all the way down to where part of the feet would be.

I wouldn't hold your breath. the VF-11's were/still are pretty pricey valks and they aren't much bigger than the VF-1.

I'm afraid that Yamato has gotten a taste of really high prices (vf-19) and isn't like to go back down....like gas company's <_<

Chris

I don't think the legs will be as fat as we want them considering how they sit in fighter mode, and having a slim fighter means having a slim leg. The VF-19 gets away with it because the legs sit on the side in fighter, while on this they turn sideways and sit underneath the fighter. Still a gorgeous prototype so far.

I understand that completely, but I was hoping they'd take a battroid-centric approach to it, like they did with the VF-19, and make compromises to the fighter mode to have fatter legs. The 17 was better known for its foreboding tank-like quality.

I understand that completely, but I was hoping they'd take a battroid-centric approach to it, like they did with the VF-19, and make compromises to the fighter mode to have fatter legs. The 17 was better known for its foreboding tank-like quality.

If you take a look at this lineart from various angles you can see from the back the legs are drawn more in scale/realistic than the pic from the front and it appears the CAD gets very close to this. The top half of the CAD looks damn near identical and very much like a bruiser.

colorcode-vf17d.gif

The legs in the lineart are too big/exagerated. I like Yamato's representation better because it's real.

As you are showing in the lineart, that battroid could never transform in that fighter.

The legs in the lineart are too big/exagerated. I like Yamato's representation better because it's real.

As you are showing in the lineart, that battroid could never transform in that fighter.

What I'm saying is the lineart doesn't even agree. The lineart from the back looks far more realistic than from the front, which would give the fighter mode a HUGE ass. The comparison to the VF-19 is almost impossible too. They had to make concessions and cut out huge chunks from the back of the calves on the VF-19. Luckily you don't often see the Valk from behind so it's obscured on the toy. For the 17, because the legs rotate out in Gerwalk/Battroid that would mean the chunks you could remove from the calves to make it fit in fighter mode would now be prominently showing. Yamato had to make them smaller for both modes to look decent.

Yamato had to make them smaller for both modes to look decent.

Completely agree!!! I also believe that the legs on the actual toy will look bigger than the CAD lineart. The physical representation of the VF-17 will be awesome.

Completely agree!!! I also believe that the legs on the actual toy will look bigger than the CAD lineart. The physical representation of the VF-17 will be awesome.

It's possible they've got another gimmick or engineering idea to assist but I wouldn't be let down if it looked just like the CAD.

damn that looks awsome. wish they did this head sculpt as second or third release, cause its my favorate, and i dont buy first releases anymore. Anyways, lets see how many vairants they make, ie will they make Milia's nice red valk scheme.

It would be interesting to take a look at older variable kits/toys to see what it's doable and what isn't in terms of balance. I only owned the old Bandai 1/65 and that was many years ago. I already see a couple of things that could've been done better IMHO: to make the hips sit higher in Battroid mode and make the back wider, so the wings could fold higher up, would've made Battroid look beefier/closer to the anime. Kind of like the old Bandai did. Of course it also had a chunky F mode, but not because of the placement of the parts but because of the sculpt of those parts. The CAD shows a Battroid that's too slender for my tastes. Reminds me of the VF-0.

Edit: Still looking forward to this. I'm sure it'll have a gorgeous Fighter mode and will be the funniest VF to transform.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy