Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force

They are aiming for end of the year, but it will still likely end up being in Q1 2012.

No reaction missile bays confirmed. I was told that if they had sacrificed the rear landing gear, they may have been able to fit the bays, but there is just not enough room in 1/60 scale to fit everything.

Graham

Thanks bro! Looking forward to it.

Indeed, good to hear. While the missile bays would have been fancy, I can't see them doing justice to them without taking away from the other things the leg has to do, so I'm glad they're focusing on landing gear instead.

Looks like I'll have to save up extra this year around Christmas time. :)

They are aiming for end of the year, but it will still likely end up being in Q1 2012.

No reaction missile bays confirmed. I was told that if they had sacrificed the rear landing gear, they may have been able to fit the bays, but there is just not enough room in 1/60 scale to fit everything.

Graham

There is still a possibility and time to have both options present. I think Yamato is too clever to give up too soon even if it is a 1/60 scale. If the primary mode of the VF-17 is battroid, then they can surely make this happen.

Yamato just needs to know, "They can do it."

There is still a possibility and time to have both options present. I think Yamato is too clever to give up too soon even if it is a 1/60 scale. If the primary mode of the VF-17 is battroid, then they can surely make this happen.

Yamato just needs to know, "They can do it."

Well...maybe...

They need to incorporate a mechanism to store rifle components, landing gear, as well as now, missile bays. Sure, Yamato has done some crazy clever stuff in the past before, but I do think that cramming all that stuff into one leg compartment may be pushing the lines of physcial possibility, unless the leg was super-sized of course.

Why is everyone so obsessed with missile bays all of a sudden? I feel like most people didn't even know the VF-17 had them before it was mentioned in this thread. And why would you want a missile bay that was used in one episode of the anime over a gunpod mechanism that was used in practically EVERY episode?

Why is everyone so obsessed with missile bays all of a sudden? I feel like most people didn't even know the VF-17 had them before it was mentioned in this thread. And why would you want a missile bay that was used in one episode of the anime over a gunpod mechanism that was used in practically EVERY episode?

Thank you! That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't get why they would even consider a toy in 1/60 scale without retractable landing gears. That's almost like doing away with hands in place of those tiny robot arms in the VF-1S that Roy used to fix the VF-1D.

Not even the VF-22 Bluegazer had missile bays. I'd love also a gunpod gimmick, but that might be hard. I would rather a strong solid battroid and fighter mode and have accessories separate.

I want a proper Gunpod Mechanism over missile bays.

It was one of the bad ass sequences of Macross 7, and it's very unique among Macross VFs.

+2

I don't want an extremely oversized leg to accomodate various features where something will probably tend to break.

+3! The gunpod and its carriage is more iconic to this mech then the missile bays in the legs that were shown, what once or twice in the entire run of the series? Better to just scribe the panel lines in place to they can say that they are there then focus on the gunpod mechanism. They only comprimise I see is the have the gunpod in the one leg (which is correct) and the missile bay on the opposite leg, but then you would have to sacrifice the beam adapter.

Graham

Personally my priority list would be:

1: landing gear

2: missile bays

3: gunpod mechanism.

I guess I'm not as into the idea of a spring-loaded (or whatever) mechanism for carrying the gunpod as other people are. Yeah, it was a distinctive VF-17 feature but it doesn't affect the looks of fighter or battroid mode. Missile bays, though, give it more stealth fighter cred... I'd be more inclined to show off missile bays than a pop-up gunpod.

That said, I understand that compromises must be made, and I can appreciate people's interest in having the gunpod mechanism. I'm really impressed that Yamato took this one on. The VF-17 doesn't seem a particularly easy VF to make work "as advertised".

Personally my priority list would be:

1: landing gear

2: missile bays

3: gunpod mechanism.

I guess I'm not as into the idea of a spring-loaded (or whatever) mechanism for carrying the gunpod as other people are. Yeah, it was a distinctive VF-17 feature but it doesn't affect the looks of fighter or battroid mode. Missile bays, though, give it more stealth fighter cred... I'd be more inclined to show off missile bays than a pop-up gunpod.

This actually makes a lot of sense. I understand the missile bay argument a bit better now. Though I'm not particularly interested in the gunpod actually being spring loaded either. I just want it to be store-able in the leg and hopefully able to be displayed half out.

This actually makes a lot of sense. I understand the missile bay argument a bit better now. Though I'm not particularly interested in the gunpod actually being spring loaded either. I just want it to be store-able in the leg and hopefully able to be displayed half out.

Then again, there is logic to the argument that it was hardly ever seen in the Anime... For me, my personal priorities would be Higher Anime Screentime = Higher Priority.

Hmmm...

This questions reason as to why an ElintSeeker that appeared in a movie for only five seconds made a huge impact and was produced, and to this day is still coveted by a lot of fans.

One episode or five seconds, either way, the missle bay option should/could be available.

Edited by nightmareB4macross

Hmmm...

This questions reason as to why an ElintSeeker that appeared in a movie for only five seconds made a huge impact and was produced, and to this day is still coveted by a lot of fans.

One episode or five seconds, either way, the missle bay option should/could be available.

but that's kind of a false analogy. With the vf-17 it's a trade off, missile bays or gunpod and/or landing gear. It's sounds like we can get 2 out of 3 but not everything.

With the ve-1, it's not like getting the VE mean not getting the GBP or the strike packs.

Then again, there is logic to the argument that it was hardly ever seen in the Anime... For me, my personal priorities would be Higher Anime Screentime = Higher Priority.

I agree with the above but I'd sacrifice landing gear. Just make the landing gear a pop-on thing like the 1/72 yf-21. It's space dude. Nobody needs landing gears. lol The valk doesn't land on the surface of planets that have no landing strip for them to land on. They use gerwalk mode and can transform so quickly that they can park in battroid mode. Didn't you see that part in macross plus when dyson dives to the ground in battroid mode and then goes into gerwalk mode at the last moment to show off? That's what valkyries do and I suspect when the vf-1 was first being shown to the public in SDFM, the only reason you see them having to land normally was to keep the secret that the valk is an anti-giant killing machine as well as a fighter plane.

Since the VF-17 is a elite valk it gets to launch outside. Landing gears are for pussies. Nobody cared when the yamato vb6 monster had none. I can see more people putting these in battroid mode on a stand anyway. So that's why I think gunpod needs to stay, then missile, then landing gear.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I disagree. I think proper integrated landing gears are critical to the 1/60 Valkyrie toys and is a hygiene factor as far as satisfaction in the line, or the particular valk is concerned. Landing gear was always meant to be part of the valk in the series, even though it wasn't used much in the case of Macross 7 valks. Not having it integrated makes the toy incomplete in my opinion.

I'm just saying that only uncool people need it. In fact robot mode allows people to just crash land on the ground like hikaru did in SDFM with his orange vf-1d lol.

The toy is complete, you just have to pop the gear on. What isn't complete is the lack of inclusion of side covers for the battroid mode for all yamato 1/60 vf-1 toys.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker