Macross Arcade top shooter?

peter

Years and years ago, there was a Macross DYRL arcade came...it was a top shooter and it was pretty cool for the time. Then a few years ago, you could download it and play it on your PC with an emulator. Everything worked except for the sound.

Does anyone here still play it or have any idea if there's been an update to the emulator? Does the sound work now?

Sadly, due to my lack of patience and hand-eye coordination, I found it more entertaining than Macross VO.

Years and years ago, there was a Macross DYRL arcade came...it was a top shooter and it was pretty cool for the time. Then a few years ago, you could download it and play it on your PC with an emulator. Everything worked except for the sound.

Does anyone here still play it or have any idea if there's been an update to the emulator? Does the sound work now?

Sadly, due to my lack of patience and hand-eye coordination, I found it more entertaining than Macross VO.

Was it a top view shooter? I remember that one, but didn't know it was available as a downloadable, emulated game. If it's an older side scroll game, you may want to search for Macross Scrambled Valkyrie.

No problem Peter. Sound has been working in MAME since version .57 or so iirc (several years in other words, I think we're up to version .112 about now). On review, the MAWS data is a little bit out of wack in the history and description, but we know better around here :)

One of the local arcades I frequented here in the LA area back in the late 80s and early '90s actually had this game on location and I played the real thing quite a bit (the arcade in question was the famous Pak-Mann, down the street from Pasadena City College on Colorado Blvd - I'll bet that Gubaba among other locals can remember it fondly).

If you need any help with it (erm, *cough*), send me a PM and I'll help get you hooked up B))

No problem Peter. Sound has been working in MAME since version .57 or so iirc (several years in other words, I think we're up to version .112 about now). On review, the MAWS data is a little bit out of wack in the history and description, but we know better around here :)

One of the local arcades I frequented here in the LA area back in the late 80s and early '90s actually had this game on location and I played the real thing quite a bit (the arcade in question was the famous Pak-Mann, down the street from Pasadena City College on Colorado Blvd - I'll bet that Gubaba among other locals can remember it fondly).

If you need any help with it (erm, *cough*), send me a PM and I'll help get you hooked up B))

Hi Hiriyu, thanks! I will give it a try myself first, and if I get stuck, I'll fire a PM your way, thanks again for the offer!

The first and only time I saw this game in the arcade was maybe 20 years ago. I remember I dumped 10 bucks worth of quarters into the machine and played it over and over again! Haha, back when arcade games used to cost 25 cents!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hiriyu,

Thanks! I got it up and running an now I'm happilly reliving my 80's childhood!

Peter

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good to know! I'm going to give it a try.

Did you happen to try the MAME Mac Plus and Mac 2 games, or just the DYRL one?

EDIT: Macross 2 works as well. I tried plus but I think I'm missing an extra .zip for it.

Edited by Prime

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This past weekend I visited an arcade in the suburbs of Chicago that had the Macross: DYRL arcade game and got to play it. It wasn't too hard and even better, it was free to play.

What the what? Where?

I don't live there anymore, but I visit a couple times a year.

• 2 weeks later...

Woah, been a while since I visited this thread. I was playing this top shooter a year or so ago, kept on crashing my wife's computer. There's a way to make this game playable on my phone now????

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I didn't know there was a top down shooter in the arcades. We never had them in NoCal anyways.

The link above returns a "404"... Is there a good link for the ROM? I would love to play this!

I don't have the ROMS, but I do have the JAMMA boards, and am building arcade cabinets soon for the DYRL game and the M Plus game. Coin operated and everything.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have the ROMS, but I do have the JAMMA boards, and am building arcade cabinets soon for the DYRL game and the M Plus game. Coin operated and everything.

That would be awesome, post pics of your build! I never got around to trying this on my phone, seems like an awful lot of work...

That would be awesome, post pics of your build! I never got around to trying this on my phone, seems like an awful lot of work...

The most work it will be, is in building the cabinets, which I can't do until I'm in the new house. Until then, I'm slowly getting the internal components and parts together. Here's the power and the power switch for what will be the Macross Plus game.

post-582-0-04270300-1401142792_thumb.jpg

That's pretty awesome. I'm tempted to take my old PC and build a cabinet around and be able to place all Macross MAME games...

Originally, I thought of doing something like that as well, but when it came down to it, I really wanted something more nostalgic, and something that also works as an entertainment furniture piece. By the middle of June, I should have the buttons and the control sticks for the game, and later on, the coin slot and marquee black light. The monitor will come last, as I can't really build this thing until we are in our new place in August.

Nice! Looking forward to your progress! Are you going to find an old tube screen or are you going to use an updated LCD monitor?

Nice! Looking forward to your progress! Are you going to find an old tube screen or are you going to use an updated LCD monitor?

Probably an updated monitor. I could get a vintage tube monitor, but I kinda wanna fresh screen to last.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sick! You can play these on your phone now? How hard would it be for a guy like me who's not very tech savvy, and virtually computer illeterate to get this going on my POS Samsung Galaxy Core lte?

Sick! You can play these on your phone now? How hard would it be for a guy like me who's not very tech savvy, and virtually computer illeterate to get this going on my POS Samsung Galaxy Core lte?

No idea if the emulator is compatible....but it costs you nothing to try....

Just go to the Google Play Store and download/install MAME4droid....

Once installed search for Macross ROMs in the internet.....download them and run them using the emulator.....to make thing easier store the ROMs in the MAME4droid's ROM folder...that way thee games are selectable from the emulator's main menu....

Game on! B))