• 4 weeks later...

The best things to do with the terminator franchise is realy just make one last prequel movie showing us what happened before kyle reese was sent back into time to 1984 to save sarah from assasination by the t-800.

Show us how humans survived and how the resistence was formed.

Show us a movie that gives us human resistence fighting:

how the humans could hack machines and use the machines to fight amongst themselves. How they got information on where the bases were by tracking location of their own hacked robots when they return to base before detonating the charges that their own robot spies planted inside the base.

How Kyle was chosen and because nobody else could be trusted as the skynet was getting smarter and impersonating people's voices and learning how to get past sniffer-dogs security.

Give us a story involving kyle narrowly escaping death before being sent back in time but tell the story from the point of view of John Conner (not kysle reese) so we learn what happens in this universe after Kyle succeeds in being sent back in time using the time machine. (since the first terminator movie already covers this - just watch terminator 1 to get the story of kyle reese)

Give us some information about how john conner could actually just be a human-created legend and that this human is merely clone and inside him he is partially a cyborg to create confusion for the terminators by baiting them to come to the wrong places for ambushs against the more intelligent assassin robots. (they need to learn and reverse engineer this technology in labs - that incluides arnold models which is what we know humans did in terminator 2 when "good arnie" was sent to protect 90s John Conner)

Since humans trust their own machines (drones remote controlled by human soldiers) and succeed in killing the skynet-controlled machines, by using the resources of skynet, the terminators must use mind-programmed humans and trust in "fleshy informants".

This is where the movie flips 180 degrees and robots who are developing their own self awareness end up killing skynet robots because they think it has betrayed them when it uses mind-controlled human clones to assist it in spying. These are the splinter group of the "machine purist" robots.

Meanwhile as humans become reliant on this technology to fight against the machines, these operations to keep baiting more arnold models becomes necessary for survival. The final war in this universe will be fought by humans in mechanical suits who do not communicate with each other (terminators can impersonate their buddies voices easily) and have to roam around fighting both mind programmed human clone soldiers working for the skynet, and the "machine purist" robots that have decided skynet is not doing a good job having to use humans as puppets since they are programmed to believe the world is better without any humans period.

The resistance fails to win, (but skynet fails to dominate) and the warring is a constant drain on resources meaning the technology eventually kils itself leaving rogue human junk collectors and robots with self aware minds fighting over the scraps that the resistence and skynet left over from the war. There is a stalemate and the john conner character lives on as a legend, like a "jesus christ" figure who is resurected from the dead to return once in a while when he emerges form out of nowhere possibly just cloned. (think of it like Aragorn in Lord Of the Rings when he was the ranger known as Strider) There are low tech weapons mixed with hi tech ones but ultimately the resources of the planet can't sustain a high tech combat in this universe on a massive scale. Only fighting happen in small short chunks amongst small groups of people as resources dry up and food and materials becomes harder to get due to all the destruction. (think of the anime movie Fist Of The North Star for example)

The message in this prequel is that the future is not set, it is not set because so long as machines and humans stil have will to change it, the two will be in constant battle till the end of time. Judgement day is not set. It is not set because so long as people know when the date will come they can work towards prevention of this day. Like the nuclear bomb, so long as people keep using it, the threat of death always looms near but humans will limit their usage if it means self preservation to continue to fight another day. In the same way light created a shadow in a totally dark room, the world; past present and future is just combination of good and evil and you will not see the bright shining sunlight which covers everything with light (the desturction of evil) until that time when humans no longer have need of dangerous technology, and machines no longer exists for it to have any purpose to serve impure motives of humans who created nukes and bombs and intelligent robot planners to suit a lazy lifestyle.

This would close the franchise and then they could do remakes after this movie.

But there would be no other future Arnie terminator movies because the whole movie would be like stallone's last rocky movie and wrap up the whole message into a single thing that summarises what has happen from previous sequels, and in a way it's just going back to where it all began. ie like a circle which has no beginning, no middle, and no end; unlike a line with two points. It would be the alpha and omega; the beginning and the end because the first instance of intelligent robots came from the one movie but this one movie births the other events so it can be considered the father of those others. Since the robots kill humans and have no further purpose but to be used as weapons to kill things they are killing themselves because now they have to self destruct after having no reason to exist. During a time a peace soldiers, weapons, bombs have no reason or purpose.

Since machines are logical they would have to decide to either

a) self preserve themselves by not letting themselves lose their sense of purpose by fighting amongst themselves or against skynet. (there is evidence that skynet turned off the neurel net processor in arnold models to prevent them from thinking independently in the T2 ultimate edition)

b) commit suicide by self destructing once the program realised it's ambition of wiping out all humans.

Neither of the sides is allowed to win. Only fight long enough to survive, preserve their existence and then cull humans when the imbalance gets too great creating an equilibrium until both of them stop using weapons that give justification to have the wars in the first place. (which can never happen due to competition for control over the remaining resources that either side can't give up because they want to be free of slavery from the other, just like what you have in the real world where humans never stopped having wars even before the cyborgs came along)

What I'd like is for this to have a dark feeling to it like metal gear solid or the first terminator where characters have to sneak in the dark a lot, and there would be only older style machines (totally mechanical without any morphing) with very little intelligence or self awareness to match that of a mind controlled army due to skynet's own fear the mechanical grunts or drones might turn against itself or their own strict prgramming code.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Not sure what's gonna happen now with Arnie's "problem" right now. Probably going to keep quiet for the time being and take the flak.

Even after the disappointment of Terminator Salvation, I'm still down with the franchise. But me, personally, I'd like to actually see the future war with the

from the glimpses we've seen in the older Terminator films. To see events leading up to Reese's mission.

A couple ground rules, at least for my tastes:

* Humanity / Resistance has to look desperate. Watch the video & cutscenes. Man living underground, trying to keep out of sight of the Machines. People living in awful conditions eating rats, crying in their terrible habitats and overall situation. Just don't do it like Salvation. The resistance in T:Salvation was lavishly equipped, well fed, having signs and watchtowers around their bases for all to see. Hell, they even had airbases with flightlines full of helicopters, jets, and transport aircraft along with all the proper support equipment and skilled personnel to upkeep them. There obviously was no concern with Skynet, or worry about losses since they sent a large heliborne assault on a Skynet base.

* Skynet and its Machines need to actually be a threat. They're being massed produced and they should always be looking for and exterminating Humans. Whether it be by standard operations (sweeps, assaults, etc.) or infiltration / termination missions. Salvation IMO, did a piss poor job in showing the threat and might of Skynet. It's a challenge to even find a handful of machines in one scene in Salvation, and they were awful in trying to kill Humans. So much for the vaunted might of Skynet.

Simply put, a Future War movie needs to show Mankind's survivors reeling from the shock of Judgement Day and its terrible losses inflicted. Only to be addded onto by a relentless, merciless force of Machines bent on finding the last remnants of man to exterminate it.

It shouldn't look like a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare movie.

How about they ignore T3 and T4 and do a the future wars movie based on the end from the Sarah Connner chronicles. The show story was starting to get interesting towards then with the t-1000 intrigue. Salvation really made telling a proper future wars story difficult and I don't see how you could continue down that timeline, or you do like was suggested before with a prequel.

How about they ignore T3 and T4 and do a the future wars movie based on the end from the Sarah Connner chronicles. The show story was starting to get interesting towards then with the t-1000 intrigue. Salvation really made telling a proper future wars story difficult and I don't see how you could continue down that timeline, or you do like was suggested before with a prequel.

The major problem with that is nobody watched it... (Don't be upset, by my definition I'm nobody too)

True, I didn't even watch till the second season. I think what I'm trying to say is that maybe if they did reboot after T2 with some of elements of the show, like the secret organization of humans that seemed to be helping skynet go online. Kind of gives it a little different spin instead just skynet against all humans.

I'm all for a future war movie:

but arnold models were assasin robots and I want a dark movie where we see him wielding a beam-gatling gun and killing humans from the shadows.

Comapring T1 with t2 is like the difference between Batman Begins and The dark Knight. People complained the dark knight was too bright and sunny. Too many daylight scenes.

That's what happened to the terminator franchise when it became a generic action movie.

But T1 had the cyberpunk look to it.

That is people are paranoid about machines killing them, (Reese wakes up from a nightmare staring at a construction worker in a construction vehicles as if to say this is what robot are going to do with humans when they have to pile up the dead bodies) and they know they are dooomed....

Arnold is like michael meyers from "Halloween", virtually unstoppable killing machine, and the only hope is in using other machines to kill the machine. (the matrix movies cover this irony too)

The paranoia is not just in how you can't trust the phone anymore, but you can't trust computers, the police (who don't believe the story) and yourself. The movie is all about the doom.

A prequel showing what happened just before Reese enters the time machines gives us the story of how the original skynet (not the skynet of later times which used arnold models as frontline soldiers in skeleton form with no skin on them, but the skynet that used flesh on top of endoskeleton to use arnold as an assassin of important figures) began to form. Slowly taking over everything, making humans fight each other, and hacking into everything like some program off "ghost in the shell".

I don't want morphing robots that can reshape themselves into anything they wish just because it's a cool visual effect. (we got enough of this poo from "The Abyss") I want survival horror movie where technology is still futuristic (you got energy weapons and stuff) but the machine isn't so inteligent that people actullly believe it to be a big threat. Like the colonial marines in aliens who think the xenomorph is a dumb animal and then their transport ship crashes when a alien sneaks onboard and kills the pilot and they have to survive alone with limited ammo and no support for a long time and are outnumbered.

That's the paranoid movie I want. Movies like John Carpenter's "The Thing" (everone is scared the other guy is an alien), "Escape from New york"(the sneaky "only one man can do this missiion" action hero bits, "Aliens"(the underestimating of the threat from marines who get slaughtered one by one even though they are supposed to be combat veterens) , "Predator" (the whole outsmarting of humans by the creature with recorded voices to bait them, and playing mind games with them to isolate them from the group and take them on one by one like a game; as if to test their fighting skill through a "one vs one" duel. ie there is a certain "nobility" to the alien in predator, not just murdering people)

....these are the ones that I liked. Terminator started sucking by T3 because people just want generic action movies. I'm not saying I don't want action, but the original was a survival horror thing where you were genuinely scared and the scenes were all very dark. It had a dark theme. The machines are satanic. John Conner is "Jesus". (savior of the human race through his teachings which lead to victory) Skynet is "Herod". (kill the messiah before he can be born so the prophecy can't be fullfilled) and Sarah Conner is Mary. (she is innocent and not violent feminist icon in the first movie, just a normal young girl ....who happens to give birth to the messiah)

And the war in Terminator 1 is very "underground". A secret war between assassins and protectors who are on the run and time is running out. "Kill the girl and the world's doom is sealed". There is a lot of suspense right up to the last moment. Even when Arnold almost in the fire crippled, you still don't get the feeling it's all over. You are paranoid about him not really being dead. That's what a prequel should have imo.

-John Conner is NOT ready. (this is pre-warning period of the future not the one where reese got a chance to warn the mother who in turn warned the child)

-Machines are not that big a threat right now for the vast majority of people.

-People underestimate the intelligence of skynet (brave men get slaughtered on the battlefield) in the same way people don't believe that michael meyers in Halloween is all that dangerous.

-Conner is not insane or crazy but is perceived to be ONLY because everyone around him is not warned about this and there is no evidence to prove the machines are alive. This is like the xenomorph being underestimated by people for just being a "dumb animal".

-And resistence fighters don't succeed in their missions because they were caught unprepared (with high casualties - think of those who lost in WWII just for being chosen first and having little time to prepare). They only succeed after using the machines against each other. (technology always advancing and getting faster, humans always being outpaced by its advancement and not able to adapt to the change in time) Humans can't beat them unless they accept the monster they created is REAL, and are prepared to tame the beast in some way and that's when humans learn how to adapt: hacked robots start to become their main force using resources the enemy provides against them and reverse engineering everything skynet throws. (and then we get a hint that morphing robots start to be produced but we never see them. We all saw terminator 2 so it's unecessary.)

The only time we should ever see humans succeeding is when humans realise they are doomed, not due to incompence or lack of skill to win. The idea behind a "prophecy" is to warn people of a possible future IF people don't act wisely and consider morals behind the creating of some things. (the future is not set)

Cyberpunk sci fi is all about the paranoia of technology taking control of us and where society is going. (see movies like Equilibrium where the whole world is forced to take mind control Prozac pills to prevent themselves from having emotions. This is like the terminators - they are machines which have no souls! (no remorse no emotion no sense of right or wrong etc) In that movie, humans without emotions or feelings are like robots. In Terminator, when assassins are given orders to kill they are not really "soldiers" when they finally become used like souless zombies/puppets by skynet. They are much more like walking dead which can't wake from the spell until humans use them for good - ie to protect things not just murder. Technology when used for good can save. When it is used for evil it blows up in your face. It's not about technology, it's about man not realising where the future is headed due to ignorance of the threat given in warnings - ...Flood of Noah.. and all that kinda stuff)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Only problem iwth your scenario, is that Skynet always nuke'd everybody. Which majorly cuts down on the probability of people underestimating machines.

I was going to say the same thing. None of the movies ever had Skynet existing as anything more than a computer that came online and nuked most of humanity. That was the one thing 3 did right. Skynet came online and did it's thing. The only thing that really changed from the original is that Skynet basically forced humans to turn it on with a virus brought back with the TX.

I don't recall anyone in the original movie mistrusting machines except for those informed about what was going to happen. Reese and eventually Sarah.

Personally, I attribute the look and feel of T1 to the time in which it was made. It was the 80s and it looked like a gritty 80s film. Regardless of what the content was.

Edited by Chewie

Personally, I attribute the look and feel of T1 to the time in which it was made. It was the 80s and it looked like a gritty 80s film. Regardless of what the content was.

It was also low budget, which is the main reason it was shot at night, in back alleys, and parking garages. It's a good thing Stan Winston was such a genius with making low budget look good.

I'm also not quite seeing where teh hate for Salvation comes from...aside from it being a direct sequel to 3. It pretty much delivered on all the things it could, aside from the one thing it obviously couldn't, i.e. the "future war." Yeah, they didn't quite explain why it was taking Skynet so long to take full control & swarm the planet with Terminators, but we could make some logic leaps there and say it too was hurt by the nuclear strike, and it took time to build up the resources to build up a full Terminator arsenal. What Skynet did do here, was take out enough of the organization we seen in "Salvations" ressistence, that we can easily imagine a more desperate human existence from that point forward.

What I'd really like to know though, is wtf is Skynet doing with the rest of the world? There are other governments, other continents, islands, etc. If that organized a pocket was still around in the U.S., what types of potnetial military strikes were awaiting world wide.

Technically speaking, he was back as the Terminator in the last movie. I don't image any role he'd have in it would be much more than a CGI enhanced appearance.

They used a body double with cgi of his likeness when he was younger mated over his face, saw the guys name in the end credits but forgot his name.

not too sure if we even need a T5 I think it can be just left,even is Arnie is considered most of him will be CGI anyway,like in Salvation.

Maybe he'll play a regular guy that Skynet modeled the T-800 after. who knows but that's probaly not going to happen for awhile because of the 200 million divorce.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

The best things to do with the terminator franchise is realy just make one last prequel movie showing us what happened before kyle reese was sent back into time to 1984 to save sarah from assasination by the t-800.

Show us how humans survived and how the resistence was formed.

Show us a movie that gives us human resistence fighting:

how the humans could hack machines and use the machines to fight amongst themselves. How they got information on where the bases were by tracking location of their own hacked robots when they return to base before detonating the charges that their own robot spies planted inside the base.

How Kyle was chosen and because nobody else could be trusted as the skynet was getting smarter and impersonating people's voices and learning how to get past sniffer-dogs security.

Give us a story involving kyle narrowly escaping death before being sent back in time but tell the story from the point of view of John Conner (not kysle reese) so we learn what happens in this universe after Kyle succeeds in being sent back in time using the time machine. (since the first terminator movie already covers this - just watch terminator 1 to get the story of kyle reese)

Give us some information about how john conner could actually just be a human-created legend and that this human is merely clone and inside him he is partially a cyborg to create confusion for the terminators by baiting them to come to the wrong places for ambushs against the more intelligent assassin robots. (they need to learn and reverse engineer this technology in labs - that incluides arnold models which is what we know humans did in terminator 2 when "good arnie" was sent to protect 90s John Conner)

Since humans trust their own machines (drones remote controlled by human soldiers) and succeed in killing the skynet-controlled machines, by using the resources of skynet, the terminators must use mind-programmed humans and trust in "fleshy informants".

This is where the movie flips 180 degrees and robots who are developing their own self awareness end up killing skynet robots because they think it has betrayed them when it uses mind-controlled human clones to assist it in spying. These are the splinter group of the "machine purist" robots.

Meanwhile as humans become reliant on this technology to fight against the machines, these operations to keep baiting more arnold models becomes necessary for survival. The final war in this universe will be fought by humans in mechanical suits who do not communicate with each other (terminators can impersonate their buddies voices easily) and have to roam around fighting both mind programmed human clone soldiers working for the skynet, and the "machine purist" robots that have decided skynet is not doing a good job having to use humans as puppets since they are programmed to believe the world is better without any humans period.

The resistance fails to win, (but skynet fails to dominate) and the warring is a constant drain on resources meaning the technology eventually kils itself leaving rogue human junk collectors and robots with self aware minds fighting over the scraps that the resistence and skynet left over from the war. There is a stalemate and the john conner character lives on as a legend, like a "jesus christ" figure who is resurected from the dead to return once in a while when he emerges form out of nowhere possibly just cloned. (think of it like Aragorn in Lord Of the Rings when he was the ranger known as Strider) There are low tech weapons mixed with hi tech ones but ultimately the resources of the planet can't sustain a high tech combat in this universe on a massive scale. Only fighting happen in small short chunks amongst small groups of people as resources dry up and food and materials becomes harder to get due to all the destruction. (think of the anime movie Fist Of The North Star for example)

The message in this prequel is that the future is not set, it is not set because so long as machines and humans stil have will to change it, the two will be in constant battle till the end of time. Judgement day is not set. It is not set because so long as people know when the date will come they can work towards prevention of this day. Like the nuclear bomb, so long as people keep using it, the threat of death always looms near but humans will limit their usage if it means self preservation to continue to fight another day. In the same way light created a shadow in a totally dark room, the world; past present and future is just combination of good and evil and you will not see the bright shining sunlight which covers everything with light (the desturction of evil) until that time when humans no longer have need of dangerous technology, and machines no longer exists for it to have any purpose to serve impure motives of humans who created nukes and bombs and intelligent robot planners to suit a lazy lifestyle.

This would close the franchise and then they could do remakes after this movie.

But there would be no other future Arnie terminator movies because the whole movie would be like stallone's last rocky movie and wrap up the whole message into a single thing that summarises what has happen from previous sequels, and in a way it's just going back to where it all began. ie like a circle which has no beginning, no middle, and no end; unlike a line with two points. It would be the alpha and omega; the beginning and the end because the first instance of intelligent robots came from the one movie but this one movie births the other events so it can be considered the father of those others. Since the robots kill humans and have no further purpose but to be used as weapons to kill things they are killing themselves because now they have to self destruct after having no reason to exist. During a time a peace soldiers, weapons, bombs have no reason or purpose.

Since machines are logical they would have to decide to either

a) self preserve themselves by not letting themselves lose their sense of purpose by fighting amongst themselves or against skynet. (there is evidence that skynet turned off the neurel net processor in arnold models to prevent them from thinking independently in the T2 ultimate edition)

b) commit suicide by self destructing once the program realised it's ambition of wiping out all humans.

Neither of the sides is allowed to win. Only fight long enough to survive, preserve their existence and then cull humans when the imbalance gets too great creating an equilibrium until both of them stop using weapons that give justification to have the wars in the first place. (which can never happen due to competition for control over the remaining resources that either side can't give up because they want to be free of slavery from the other, just like what you have in the real world where humans never stopped having wars even before the cyborgs came along)

What I'd like is for this to have a dark feeling to it like metal gear solid or the first terminator where characters have to sneak in the dark a lot, and there would be only older style machines (totally mechanical without any morphing) with very little intelligence or self awareness to match that of a mind controlled army due to skynet's own fear the mechanical grunts or drones might turn against itself or their own strict prgramming code.

1/1 LowViz Lurker, I think you should write th script for this movie, or it might make an excellent graphic novel comic like Watchmen..

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

• 2 years later...

Latest rumor on this movie has Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson penned as the new villainous Terminator. The story will supposedly take place in the 1950s, where the Terminator is sent to kill Sarah Connor's parents. In addition, Ah-nuld will return, but as a human character.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson May Star in Terminator 5; Will the Movie Be Set in the 1950s?

Latest rumor on this movie has Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson penned as the new villainous Terminator. The story will supposedly take place in the 1950s, where the Terminator is sent to kill Sarah Connor's parents. In addition, Ah-nuld will return, but as a human character.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson May Star in Terminator 5; Will the Movie Be Set in the 1950s?

You forgot the part where Michael J. Fox travels back in time to stop Biff from causing the robot apocolypse.

Everybody in hollywood is on HGH. You think Superman got those muscles naturally? haha

Yeah. Actors and athletes never looked like this before these drugs were available.

EDIT IN: Example they used to think John Wayne was super tough looking and had a good physique:

tumblr_lor823WLaV1qleo4jo1_400.jpg

compare that to:

Dwayne-Johnson.jpg

I actually think actors abuse performance enhancing drugs more than athletes do... Nobody tests actors.

Edited by Agent ONE

Yeah. Actors and athletes never looked like this before these drugs were available.

EDIT IN: Example they used to think John Wayne was super tough looking and had a good physique:

tumblr_lor823WLaV1qleo4jo1_400.jpg

compare that to:

Dwayne-Johnson.jpg

I actually think actors abuse performance enhancing drugs more than athletes do... Nobody tests actors.

And if these guys are abusing such drugs what are the long term consequences going to be?

And if these guys are abusing such drugs what are the long term consequences going to be?

Depends how much and for how long. There are some that seem to get away with it for ridiculous amounts of time (Hulk Hogan has probably been ON for 3/4 of his life). A good education on the subject is the film Bigger, Stronger, Faster. It is a light hearted documentary on the history and hysteria over performance enhancing drugs.

Honestly, WGAS? These guys are adults. They're making their choices and making their millions. If The Rock dies at 55, I'm sure his wife and kids (if he has some) and some other folks will be sad, but he knew what he was doing to his body.

BBC news is reporting that T5 will be the first in a "standalone 'rebooted' trilogy".

I don't know what's more alarming - that it'll be a trilogy, or that it's a reboot!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23095529

Anyhow, some more eyebrow raising news from that article:

With a release date scheduled for 26 June [2015], the movie will join a slew of summer blockbusters, coming out a week before Independence Day 2 and two weeks ahead of Pirates of the Caribbean 5.

Star Wars - Episode 7 is also due to be released around the same time.

Gah! Too many sequels!

Yep. HGH is the best thing ever. People can produce it naturally though. Really don't need a needle.

Although, this could certainly be misconstrued as an argument for the quick-and-easy route...

83385743.jpg

ed: oh; but to get back on track--leave the damn franchise alone! These remakes/reboots are really not surpassing the originals, in most cases. Sure, they may have bigger explosions or more frenetic cinemtography; but a lot of the time, they don't really tell a better story for it.

Edited by reddsun1

Although, this could certainly be misconstrued as an argument for the quick-and-easy route...

83385743.jpg

ed: oh; but to get back on track--leave the damn franchise alone! These remakes/reboots are really not surpassing the originals, in most cases. Sure, they may have bigger explosions or more frenetic cinemtography; but a lot of the time, they don't really tell a better story for it.

You do know thats Dr. Life (his real name) and he sells prescription HGH right?