Don't you have to reboot it everytime? I mean the future already passed by twice on this franchise.

That's what I mean. In T2, the specifics of judgement day changed, so the future changed and therefore the past has also changed. In T3, the specifics of judgement day changed, in T4 they changed again. There is no continuity in the franchise, there isn't meant to be.. the whole point of the story is that there is no continuity... so what's the point of getting mad about it?

Thought about starting a thread for this myself when I heard the news, but the next Terminator project is sooooo embryonic.....

Anyway. Seriously. What are we really hanging out for with the next film:

a) The return of an aged Arnie.

b) A film with a great script, fantastic action and some good acting.

I'd like to say "it couldn't be worse than Salvation" but it easily could be. This is a franchise they either need to let die, or pay Cameron an ass load of money to come back and try to straiten things out. This franchise has been handled so poorly after T2 (and the lack of a Prime continuity probably has something to do with it).

I'm all for classic franchises getting new movies, or re-imaginings as long as they're GOOD.

That's what I mean. In T2, the specifics of judgement day changed, so the future changed and therefore the past has also changed. In T3, the specifics of judgement day changed, in T4 they changed again. There is no continuity in the franchise, there isn't meant to be.. the whole point of the story is that there is no continuity... so what's the point of getting mad about it?

My head hurts...I think the next Terminator should have at some point Doc Brown in it, have him run across a battlefield screaming "1.21 gigawatts!!"

Edited by Zor Primus

According to IGN, Arnold Schwarzenegger is returning to the Terminator franchise in a new movie to be directed by Justin Lin (The Fast and the Furious 3-5, Better Luck Tomorrow). Universal Pictures, Sony Pictures and Lionsgate Films are rumored to be in the running to produce and distribute the film.

Arnold's Back as The Terminator

The choice of director does not inspire confidence. If they seriously want to save this franchise, they should get a tier 1 director on board, not a tier 3 or 4 director that nobody has heard of (at least I haven't).

I mean, somebody who's main claim to fame is directing The Fast and the Furious sequels........c'mon! That already tells me all I need to know about this movie.

Graham

I say in the next Terminator, Skynet should evolve itself into a beautiful blonde woman, then have sex with John Conner, & travel back in time to progenate the human race. Also the John Conner that everyone thinks died was really a clone because really, not even John Conner would be stupid enough to let a Terminator kill him because of childhood memories.

I mean, somebody who's main claim to fame is directing The Fast and the Furious sequels........c'mon! That already tells me all I need to know about this movie.

My thoughts exactly. That was the first thing that sent alarm bells ringing in my head. The other thing is that I think Arnie might look too old for this now.

By the way, Graham, isn't it time to take off the Santa cap now? :p

Wait...are you (Kieth) suggesting that in T4:Salvation, John Connor succumbed to the T-800 because it looked like Arnold and he had fond memories of Arnold and thus couldn't bring himself to fight/run?

That would be plausible - it's just something I didn't notice when I saw the film (only once in the cinem)

Pete

Wait...are you (Kieth) suggesting that in T4:Salvation, John Connor succumbed to the T-800 because it looked like Arnold and he had fond memories of Arnold and thus couldn't bring himself to fight/run?

That would be plausible - it's just something I didn't notice when I saw the film (only once in the cinem)

Pete

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines dude.

... just admit it... you guys have problems with an Asian guy calling the shots, potentially directing and thus telling Arnold what to do :D . Also, Terminator is not exactly known for its intellectual depth, what's wrong with having a guy whose claim to fame is an equally deep franchise about stealing and racing cars have a crack at it?

I'd be all up for a Nolan Terminator though.

Edited by Ghost Train

Personally, I didn't hate Salvation at all like I thought I would. Sure Bale as Conner was a completely excess character, but don't see at all why they wouldn't continue using the same shitty director.

... just admit it... you guys have problems with an Asian guy calling the shots, potentially directing and thus telling Arnold what to do :D . Also, Terminator is not exactly known for its intellectual depth, what's wrong with having a guy whose claim to fame is an equally deep franchise about stealing and racing cars have a crack at it?

I'd be all up for a Nolan Terminator though.

to be fair...

Justin Lin is the one who direct The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift.

I rest my case. :p

Give some good directors - Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan, Ridley Scott, Bryan Singer, Andrew Niccol, Alex Proyas and Jon Favreau etc...

And Bale was great as Conner, hope he will continue the role.

Edited by macrossnake

to be fair...

Justin Lin is the one who direct The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift.

I rest my case. :p

Tokyo Drift was a great movie...for what it was. Lin's good at making "those" kinds of movies and that's fine, but this is certainly a direction that Terminator doesn't need to go. But, I'll echo what others have said about the Alien franchise which I ironically disagree with: all of the movies after the first two are a waste of time anyway. As far as I'm concerned, they can reboot Terminator all they want but the best years of that series are gone...