I think Arnold should play John Conner and this time they get a terminator from the past to kill him because the past is more advanced than the future which is a post apocalyptic nightmare in the modern times where people are using clubs to bash each other over the head to win wars. (because nobody trusts the machines anymore society has gone back to using human slaves)

But since the robots of the past have slower CPU arnold can outrun it and the assassin robot is basically the same as a modern day robot of now. (It's not sophisticated enough to be able to threaten the human race just more like a serial killer which the police could probably handle if they believed the threat was serious enough.

This way when Arnold tells people its from "a future" (nobody knows which since it is not certain if they can time travel, it might just be a secret weapon that is highly sophisticated) nobody believes him and he has to fight it one to one. Much like he did against the predator alien in the first predator movie.

But seriously. They need to bring back old robots back. When the robots started shapeshifting that is when terminators became too sophisticated. The robots purpose is to blend in with humans, kill a bunch of them and like a terrorist bomber commit suicide.

All arnold would need is standard explosive weapons to deal with it and then crush it with a sledgehammer to finish it off.

Arnold at his old age is probably better playing as a good guy not the bad guy. I don't know about thee rest of you but I think the charm of the original is that it was a good low budget flick. I think if they remade it the feel of the original would be lost. It was very dark and today's stuff is bright and sunny. If you were to rewatch it it would be so dark in some scenes that you couldn't make out any detail.

That's because the original only ever thought of terminator as assassins that sneak up on you from shadows to come from nowhere, not frontline warriors. T2 kinda transformed them into undead skeleton robots that are shiny and naked and don't even worry about blending into the background anymore.

It just wasn't as dark as T1.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27262178

Doctor Who star Matt Smith set for Terminator reboot

The Doctor Who star will play "a new character with a strong connection to John Connor".

Other stars announced include Game of Thrones actress Emilia Clarke and Zero Dark Thirty actor Jason Clarke.

The film, which is due to be released in July 2015, is being directed by Thor filmmaker Alan Taylor.

Smith, who has been replaced as the Doctor by Scots actor Peter Capaldi in the BBC hit drama will next be seen on the big screen in the film Lost River, directed by Ryan Gosling.

He was seen earlier this year on stage in London in the musical stage adaptation of American Psycho.

The Terminator franchise was launched in 1984 with Schwarzenegger as the title character, a cyborg sent back through time to kill the mother of the unborn leader of the human resistance in the war against machines.

The film, directed by James Cameron, has since spawned three subsequent films, which have earned more than $1 billion at the worldwide box office.

> Arnold at his old age is probably better playing as a good guy not the bad guy

Read something the other day where Arnold's terminator has been around for awhile, while the internal bits do not age the skin on the outside does - that is a clever way of handling it.

As for the terminators in T2 without skin - I always considered them the monkey models, made simply for straight up combat so no need to wrap them up in skin. The infiltration models are still around.

I would accept a CGI Arnold if it was done well enough.

Was the Arnold in Salvation satisfactory? I thought it was perfect, albeit in only a few shots...

• 4 weeks later...

So, It's true? Are we getting grandpa terminator?

Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of Arnold an his movies. But wouldn't be far more interesting to see him as the new human hero? You know, a bad ass war veteran saving his family from the evil machines. Something in the line of Clint Eastwood in Grand Torino comes to mind. But with the whole post-apocalyptic setup.

This looks...Interesting I guess. Is this going to be a complete reboot or are they still going to try to somehow tie this into the original films, is this going to be in continuity with all the movies or what, where does Sarah Connor Chronicles fit in, was that retconned?

This looks...Interesting I guess. Is this going to be a complete reboot or are they still going to try to somehow tie this into the original films, is this going to be in continuity with all the movies or what, where does Sarah Connor Chronicles fit in, was that retconned?

It's a quasi-reboot. Funny thing about time and paradoxes...

The plot details I read had them going back (ala "Back to the Future; Part 2") to the original 2 or 3 movies and doing stuff in the background. Hopefully they pull it off better then BttF2 did.

you can't do something better than perfect.

• 2 months later...

Tread title needs an update:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/6/5975299/terminator-5-genisys

The upcoming Terminator movie has wrapped shooting, and to celebrate, star Arnold Schwarzenegger treated fans to a photo featuring the film's full name: Terminator Genisys.

Schwarzenegger posted the photo, which features the actor sitting in a chair monogrammed with the title, on Instagram.

"I can't wait to see our finished project and I know we'll remind the fans why they fell in love with the Terminator," he added.

Genisys is expected to hit theaters next summer on July 1. Schwarzenegger will reprise his role as a terminator. Sarah Connor will be played by Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones), while Jason Clarke (The Chicago Code) is John Connor.

The fourth installment in the Terminator franchise, Terminator Salvation, was released in 2009. The film followed Christian Bale as resistance fighter John Connor.

Edited by Gakken85

I'm old enough to remember seeing the first Terminator in theater, I was about 12 years old. Yeah, my parents let me see R-rated movies back then B)) Anyways, I have low expectations for this new film. Especially after the title update. Though... I could be totally wrong about this film. I remember thinking the Terminator TV series would suck especially with Brian Austin Green starring in it but it turned into one of my favorite television series till FOX cancelled it :(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Seriously???

Twist No. 1? Sarah Connor isn’t the innocent she was when Linda Hamilton first sported feathered hair and acid-washed jeans in the role. Nor is she Hamilton’s steely zero body-fat warrior in 1991’s T2. Rather, the mother of humanity’s messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she’s been raised by (brace yourself) Schwarzenegger’s Terminator—an older T-800 she calls “Pops”—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill. As a result, Sarah is a highly trained antisocial recluse who’s great with a sniper rifle but not so skilled at the nuances of human emotion.

“Since she was 9 years old, she has been told everything that was supposed to happen,” says Ellison. “But Sarah fundamentally rejects that destiny. She says, ‘That’s not what I want to do.’ It’s her decision that drives the story in a very different direction.”

-b.