Yamato 1:3000 SDF-1 Macross - unpainted model kit

CF18

Yep molded in color except for the damaged parts which are in in 'resin jaundice yellow'...It's the 1/3000 toy re-released as a big box-o-parts.

That's the thing that I don't understand, why can't they color match the resin parts?

You're right about color casting not being tricky, but color matching is a real pain especially with resin parts.

I expect they could get it "close enough" without too much trouble. (Though personally I wouldn't bother - not for optional parts that many people won't care about...) But admittedly my experience with color casting and with making large numbers of castings is rather limited.

Yep molded in color except for the damaged parts which are in in 'resin jaundice yellow'...It's the 1/3000 toy re-released as a big box-o-parts.

the glass shield of the bridge and the "chin" though are one piece and molded in clear. so the chin will need painting. it's a very small part though so some can opt to ignore it.

Mine arrived today, this is a pretty awesome package for a modeller. I can see someone with no interest in putting things together being put off by it, but that extra sense of satisfaction I get from building kits and displaying them over putting a toy on the shelf is immense so I'm a happy camper!

I received my kit about a week ago, but opened it up for inventory today. Took the blog advice from Yamato's page and started in on hardware inventory first. Looks like I'm short a dozen and a half fasteners according to the manifest in the manual (missing 7pc M2x6 fillister, 4pc M1.8x6 fillister, 1pc M2x5 flathead, 2pc M2x4 flathead). I'm also overstocked on the M2x4 and M2x5 fillister screws by about half a dozen each.

I'm an engineer by trade and had checked each fastener with a vernier caliper while sorting, so I'm relatively sure of my piece count being accurate. I checked and double-checked the parts bags for the missing screws to no avail. I'd urge you guys getting your kits ready to follow the blog advice and check your fasteners before going any further.

Grrr.

I received my kit about a week ago, but opened it up for inventory today. Took the blog advice from Yamato's page and started in on hardware inventory first. Looks like I'm short a dozen and a half fasteners according to the manifest in the manual (missing 7pc M2x6 fillister, 4pc M1.8x6 fillister, 1pc M2x5 flathead, 2pc M2x4 flathead). I'm also overstocked on the M2x4 and M2x5 fillister screws by about half a dozen each.

I'm an engineer by trade and had checked each fastener with a vernier caliper while sorting, so I'm relatively sure of my piece count being accurate. I checked and double-checked the parts bags for the missing screws to no avail. I'd urge you guys getting your kits ready to follow the blog advice and check your fasteners before going any further.

Grrr.

I got the same issue after I sorted my screws. Found I was shorted a few here and ended up with more there (got all the flat heads though). I sorted my with calipers so know that I did a pretty accuret job of breaking them out.

I've decided that i'd worry about later and see how things go along. Hope'n it all works out in the end...then grip about it later if doesn't :D

That sucks ass!

What sucks worse is that it's probably easier for you to buy the screws yourself online than try and get them from Yamato.

True! I considered contacting Yamato (USA) to get them to cough up what was missing but figured it would be easier and faster to just go buy them my self.

I'm lucky enough to have a store close buy that specializes in model trains, RC cars and aircraft so picking up the odd dinky pice of hardware is not a problem. Not the first time i've opened a kit of some kind only to find i've been shorted a screw or two...or drop one only to have it vanish into thin air (which is usually what happens.

True! I considered contacting Yamato (USA) to get them to cough up what was missing but figured it would be easier and faster to just go buy them my self.

I'm lucky enough to have a store close buy that specializes in model trains, RC cars and aircraft so picking up the odd dinky pice of hardware is not a problem. Not the first time i've opened a kit of some kind only to find i've been shorted a screw or two...or drop one only to have it vanish into thin air (which is usually what happens.

Exactly my thoughts too. One of my other hobbies is RC helicopters, and I have a feeling that I can probably scrounge some of the screws from my RC spares. For anything I can't find easily locally, there's always McMaster-Carr supply co. It just would have been nice if the hardware had all been present out of the box - my post was more a cautionary note than a major gripe ;)

Exactly my thoughts too. One of my other hobbies is RC helicopters, and I have a feeling that I can probably scrounge some of the screws from my RC spares. For anything I can't find easily locally, there's always McMaster-Carr supply co. It just would have been nice if the hardware had all been present out of the box - my post was more a cautionary note than a major gripe ;)

Thank you for doing it too. I am about 50 kits behind and digging deeeper every month so probably would have just shelved it for a while without giving it a second thought.

Oh! It looks like they gonna finally introduce a build example by 'Yamazaki' Pro in next Dengeki Hobby magazine! Can't wait to see~

Hmmm.... Just got the new issue of Dengeki Hobby magazine. It has good Macross section including SDF-1 build sample.

It was good, clean build, but kinda plain.. I was hoping to see a sample with all PE parts applied including launch arm and Valkyries...

So how can we get this colours? This is a limited production of only 300 sets!

http://www.yamato-toys.com/items/detail.php?gid=1917

http://www.yamato-to...l?infolnk=index

Dang... Another online exclusive....

These are all custom ordered colors. Some are mixture of 4-5 colors.

- so that explains why it's limited...T.T

• 2 weeks later...

Got my kit the other day, I have to say, overall, I'm stunned by the level of detail.

Sorted my screws etc, and like others, I'm plus a few here, minus a few there.... <_< . The "best" part about the screws is that they come in three or four separate bags. For the most part, they seem to keep the 1.5 mm and 2.0 mm screws to themselves. However, in one case, all the screws of a specific type were in one bag except for 4 of them which I marked as missing....then found them mixed in with another bag... :wacko: All in all, I think I'm only a few short, so I'm not sweating it too much.

One thing I AM sweating though is that one of the pins that goes into what appears to be the main swing bar that more or less forms the keel of the ship has a knurled end. We all know the wondrous effects of the knurled end pins. I think I'm going to get one myself that is smooth.

The other minor niggle is that the parts on the sprues are NOT NUMBERED. The sprues themselves are numbered, but in order to find the part ON the sprue you have to look in the assembly manual at the diagram for each sprue which shows which parts are which.... :blink:

Still, all in all, it's a great kit. If you've ever built a Perfect Grade Gundam kit, this one won't present any problems for you.

Since the SDF-1 thread in the Toy section was moved to the Hall of Super Topics...

...if you're still looking for the glow in the dark decal set there are two left on E-Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250852132176&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Since the SDF-1 thread in the Toy section was moved to the Hall of Super Topics...

...if you're still looking for the glow in the dark decal set there are two left on E-Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250852132176&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

what about the PE parts...anybody know where to score those???? :mellow:

what about the PE parts...anybody know where to score those???? :mellow:

I won't be using my PE parts, shoot me a PM and see if we can work out a deal :)

I'm just about finished with my kit, about 90% through. Still have the ARMDs to do, need to paint and assemble the bridge unit, and do some decals. I'm keeping mine to a toy-like aesthetic, just doing panel lines and minimal weathering, no mods (I haven't the talent in plastic, unlike most of you guys ;) ) . Lack of certain screws hasn't been much of an issue; I was able to rob some from my RC stash, and worked around others by judicious screw-swapping and gluing of some parts.

I will say that the notes from the blog on Yamato's site were helpful and mostly relevant to my own buildup (even broke the exact same screw in the exact same location for the hip slider bar cover despite being aware of the issue, har har). At some point I'll get some pictures and assembly notes posted.

It's 1/2000 scale.

They used 1/60 for proportion and use laser carving to create the molding.

Even thou it's over-scale, they think it might work fine for 1/3000 version.

It also says it's 'part' of test shot.? That means maybe there are more??? :ph34r:

Honestly, the scale of the valkyries means next to nothing since there's no way in hell the SDF1 is close to 1/2000 scale. EXO and I calculated based on the size of Macross city and the stadium that the Macross would really be more like 5 MILES long.

It's funny that the PE valkyrie that comes with the kit is bigger than the whole stadium... :rolleyes:

In other news, my build is going pretty good. The instructions are ok but after a few pages I'm noticing some pretty decent sized errors like them telling you to use one type of spring in one step that can't possibly fit in the area you're assembling. They also pretty routinely leave parts off the various diagrams so you'll build it and be looking at it and thinking "something just isn't right" then sure enough, go digging through the sprues and find a part they left off ... :wacko:

Honestly, the scale of the valkyries means next to nothing since there's no way in hell the SDF1 is close to 1/2000 scale. EXO and I calculated based on the size of Macross city and the stadium that the Macross would really be more like 5 MILES long.

It's funny that the PE valkyrie that comes with the kit is bigger than the whole stadium... :rolleyes:

In other news, my build is going pretty good. The instructions are ok but after a few pages I'm noticing some pretty decent sized errors like them telling you to use one type of spring in one step that can't possibly fit in the area you're assembling. They also pretty routinely leave parts off the various diagrams so you'll build it and be looking at it and thinking "something just isn't right" then sure enough, go digging through the sprues and find a part they left off ... :wacko:

Agree with your comment on the directions. They look great at first glance but once you get into it there are quite a few errors partiulary in the order in of how things are put together. There's a a number of places where it has you assemble something when you it would have better to hold off till later.

Regarding paint...(for those of us who have no intention of buy'n into Yamato's exclusives)

I was able to get a pretty close match to the duranodic bronze color by darkening up 'MODEL MASTER ACRYL-4676 Jet Exhaust' with just a bit of 'MODEL MASTER ACRYL-4767 Aircraft Interior Black'.