Yamato 1:3000 SDF-1 Macross - unpainted model kit

CF18

I'm having a deuce of a time finding a source for these screws online. Anyone know where I can get some? I tried McMaster-Carr and Grainger but they don't seem to have metric screws. Any place else I've found seems to be really small and/or has a crappy website with no info.

For the record, I'm missing:

M1.8 x 6.00mm Pan Head - 6

M2.0 x 4.00mm Pan Head - 4

M2.0 x 4.00mm Flat Head - 4

M1.8 x 4.00mm Washer Head - 1 (and this one is CRITICAL) since I can't finish assembling the arm/shoulder without it.

I thought about reaching out to Yamato USA but they have a disclaimer on their site saying they cannot do anything with Yamato Macross items.

MM, I had a quick look online, and didn't see any one shop carrying all of what you need (punching the faster size directly into google does seem to help though). As Mr. Pi had mentioned earlier, it might not be a bad idea to see if you have any nearby model shops who deal with RC stuff.

I expect that I might even be done with all of my assembly requiring screws either tonight or tomorrow night, and I still appear to have some various extras left. You're first on the list if I have anything left that you need. I'll let you know.

I'm having a deuce of a time finding a source for these screws online. Anyone know where I can get some? I tried McMaster-Carr and Grainger but they don't seem to have metric screws. Any place else I've found seems to be really small and/or has a crappy website with no info.

For the record, I'm missing:

M1.8 x 6.00mm Pan Head - 6

M2.0 x 4.00mm Pan Head - 4

M2.0 x 4.00mm Flat Head - 4

M1.8 x 4.00mm Washer Head - 1 (and this one is CRITICAL) since I can't finish assembling the arm/shoulder without it.

I thought about reaching out to Yamato USA but they have a disclaimer on their site saying they cannot do anything with Yamato Macross items.

Mcmaster has the second one on your list: Item #92000A011

And the third: Item #92010A001

(Just go to their site and paste the item # in their search box)

Edit: Same screws on Grainger here: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/machine-screws/screws/fasteners/ecatalog/N-8n0Z1z12nykZ1z0ncw8Z1z0nbrc You sure you looked? ;)

On the other hand, I'm not seeing size 1.8 diameter for sale anywhere...but they do seem to exist. If you get desperate, Mcmaster sells taps...you could maybe tap the parts for a size M2 screw instead.

Edited by jwasko

Mcmaster has the second one on your list: Item #92000A011

And the third: Item #92010A001

(Just go to their site and paste the item # in their search box)

Edit: Same screws on Grainger here: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/machine-screws/screws/fasteners/ecatalog/N-8n0Z1z12nykZ1z0ncw8Z1z0nbrc You sure you looked? ;)

On the other hand, I'm not seeing size 1.8 diameter for sale anywhere...but they do seem to exist. If you get desperate, Mcmaster sells taps...you could maybe tap the parts for a size M2 screw instead.

Thanks for the leg work, but I should have specified, these are thread cutting screws designed for plastic, not machine screws. I have found them online but not the right sizes.

Thanks for the leg work, but I should have specified, these are thread cutting screws designed for plastic, not machine screws. I have found them online but not the right sizes.

Ah. Well, in that case, you may want to keep taps in mind.

I have used a high speed steel hand tap to tap ABS and even PVC before. This wasn't on a transformable/posable model/toy like this, but I don't think it should be too much of a problem...if anything, my application (spring-powered nerf blasters) probably had more stress on the threads.

Shouldn't be too difficult, either, since (I'm assuming) the holes are already there...at least they were on my 1S kit.

Edited by jwasko

I'm missing 13 panhead 2.0 x 6.0mm

2 flathead 2.0 X4.0mm

1 of the "Bubble top" 1.8 X 6.0 mm screws.

and I ended up with 9 extra various screws of the other types that I plan to scavenge to fill gaps where I can.

I searched the big hardware stores like Lowe's and Home depot and they didn't have anything if use, then I went to the little ace hardware store down the street and they have a magnificant selection of screws, and in fact a Metric Mini Machine Screw assortment, I'll be going back with my list, hey didn't have 4mm length screws but I can probably cut down the 6mm screws if necesary.

Anyhow, if there is an Ace Hardware near you, they might be worth a try and get you closer to a complete set wihtout having to mail order and pay shipping and handling.

b and c for the screws are almost alike from my recent assembly. they just differ in threading so you might have screws mixed up. I know I had them mixed up on my assembly.

good luck this one is harder then assembling a perfect grade 1/60 gundam. I think yamato should have sorted the screws out for us.

mechmaniac

Edited by isa_o

Anybody else just panel lining theirs and not painting the whole shebang? I want to panel line mine but can't decide whether I should bust out the micron or gundam markers and hope for the best, or if I should do a thinned paint or oil wash. I'm wondering how well a wash would work on the bare plastic without a gloss clearcoat.

Anybody else just panel lining theirs and not painting the whole shebang?

Yep. Just doing panel lining with acrylic ('cause that's what I have). It's good enough for me, but then again, my standards aren't very high :D

Not done with it yet though.

post-873-0-69282100-1311298142_thumb.jpg

Anybody else just panel lining theirs and not painting the whole shebang? I want to panel line mine but can't decide whether I should bust out the micron or gundam markers and hope for the best, or if I should do a thinned paint or oil wash. I'm wondering how well a wash would work on the bare plastic without a gloss clearcoat.

I'd go with thinned acrylic paint or an oil wash.

The level of detail on the ARMD's is SICK! These things are the bane of my existence right now. Every time I think I'm getting close to done, I find something I haven't even started yet!

Here's a pic of them about 90% assembled. They've been hit a couple of times with an oil wash, then cleaned up etc. Still left to do is a final oil wash then cleanup, paint in the windows, paint the 8 zillion little thrusters that go on each one in some Tamiya light gunmetal, attach the thrusters, add the decals...then clearcoat.... :wacko:

post-78-0-90068100-1311734082_thumb.jpg

thanks It's the reason I held out so i can get these decals. I was thinking of putting some on the inside area for the bridge

Very nice isa_o...I still haven't applied mine. :lol:

will get some images in cruiser mode tonight.

Nice. I can almost hear the trumpets in the beginning of the Macross theme.

• 1 month later...

Lazy Sunday Afternoon---so I finally attempted the PE parts on my SDF-1. This was NOT the kit, but the toy released first. Airbrushed all the parts first, then attempted to "fold" the small pointy ones and superglue them on. NOT really a fun experience.....some turned out better than others...but hey...gotta at least try! B))

post-11393-0-31605100-1315178033_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-08869100-1315178039_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-22885900-1315178045_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-62182600-1315178052_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-39147100-1315178058_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-02932900-1315178064_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-93651200-1315178069_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-78751700-1315178076_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-43198400-1315178084_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-64889900-1315178091_thumb.jpg

Edited by derex3592

Lazy Sunday Afternoon---so I finally attempted the PE parts on my SDF-1. This was NOT the kit, but the toy released first. Airbrushed all the parts first, then attempted to "fold" the small pointy ones and superglue them on. NOT really a fun experience.....some turned out better than others...but hey...gotta at least try! B))

So you got the instructions? Looking great!

Hey, how did you get the PE parts for the first release toy? I'd love to know and get a set for my toy or if anyone is willing to sell me a set.

I was lucky enough to pick up a fellow MW members set who had purchased the kit and built it, but didn't want to mess with the PE parts....he sold me those, the glow in the dark stickers and the left over decals he didn't use. I hope you track down a set, I would LOVE to see yours--- :D ---- because my patience and sanity is at AN END. LOL..calling it DONE and it's going back in the case.

Edited by derex3592

is the pe set only available with the model?

You can get the glow in the dark stickers on-line at Yamato's website and I assume the photo etched parts are also available, unless they want to make it exclusive for the model kit set together with the broken off main cannon and different feet/main booster parts.

You can get the glow in the dark stickers on-line at Yamato's website and I assume the photo etched parts are also available, unless they want to make it exclusive for the model kit set together with the broken off main cannon and different feet/main booster parts.

Is there some way for people outside of Japan to get those things? I think Yamato's website will accept domestic orders only.

I really would like to get the stickers and PE parts. The custom paint they have would be nice too since I can't seem to get a close match for the darker areas like the legs, but that's not as big a deal.

I mainly want to get the stickers and PE parts. I've been stuck at my current level of progress for a good part of the year unsure if I should continue to wait to see if I can get the parts or give up and finish up with what I have and be done with it already.

Update: Just tried to order the stickers from Yamato's website, but they only list locations within Japan. So no dice. I don't suppose someone could help me get a set of the stickers?

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Update: Just tried to order the stickers from Yamato's website, but they only list locations within Japan. So no dice. I don't suppose someone could help me get a set of the stickers?

You've got pm.

Jefuemon and I gave it a shot but I don't think using a US credit card and billing address works.

Tried sending a plea to Yamato USA to see if they could help me get a set of the glowy stickers on the basis that there don't seem to be any Macross related logos or markings on the product, possibly getting around the restriction of dealing with Macross items in the US. I think they probably still laughed and hit delete on my email though because I haven't gotten a reply one way or the other... sigh