• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

After following the second run of the series from the beginning to end, I think the most suprising thing I learned from it is that the crew, having worked in the past or currently on the Simpsons, is still really talented. They're able to come up with good episodes despite the arguable lack of quality coming from said show in recent years. It's as if the possiblity of getting canceled from year to year gave them motivation to put more effort into their work than usual. They didn't have the protection of being a cult pop culture icon to just come up with episodes about pretty much anything and be able to get away with it. And boy, when they win an Emmy for this show, I think they really deserve it compared to achievements with The Simpsons these days.

I'd have to disagree, the new episodes have been disappointing for the most part - not terrible but not up to the old standards either. Then again, I have not watched the Simpsons for over a decade now.

I didn't really like the 2011 season, or season 6-B as they call it. The previous season was a pretty tough act to follow and my expectations were pretty high because of it. In hindsight the Christmas anthology episode prior to it should have been a warning sign. There were exceptions, though, like "Tip of the Zoidberg" and "Overclockwise" for its ending as a possible series finale. As finales go, however, "Meanwhile" blew it out of the water.