Square Enix Playarts Figs

I really dislike the knee joints, and the lack of a base with recent releases. As well the cheap hollow plastic and that amount of paint washes makes them look rather over priced.

I would pay the same price if they were a bit smaller, didn't have those knee joints, and the paint was crisp Matt finish.

My friend got the MGS figures. I thought they are small scale.

if you consider 10" tall "small scale" compare them to the old late-90's McFarlanes, for starters;

MGS1PARTS-FARLANE7-20-12.jpg

anyhow, i've heard rumors that S-E is discontinuing the MGS-1 PA line after Meryl's release. any credence to this?

Edited by Shaorin

The more I look at it the more I realize I don't care enough about Spike to ever actually buy a toy of him. :p

:edit:

BTW, I didn't notice this get mentioned, but this I do want:

http://www.hlj.com/product/ENX31700

ayx8bd.jpg

(( MERYL; it's a .50 Action Express! i'm more comfortable with it than i am with my Bra... ))

(( ME; ah. good for you. i've one of those too, actually, so Meh... - (though it's merely an Airsoft replica, designated as .44 -_- ) - ))

DE44JOHN7-20-12.jpg

anyhow, i've heard rumors that S-E is discontinuing the MGS-1 PA line after Meryl's release. any credence to this?

All I've seen next for the MGS line is Solidus and Raiden Rising version.

Square had a prototype of the Dead Space 3 figure on display at sdcc

http://www.figures.c...re-enix&cat=760

hmm... I'm not 100% sold on the sculpt as is, but in any event I would have much preferred DS2 rigs first. Maybe I'll change my mind and fall in love with the new rigs once I've played DS3, but I'm just in love with the security and advanced rigs right now.

My pics from the Con

I'm going to pre order this as soon as it goes up

Halo 4 figs and Cyborg Raiden look awesome, everything else looks off or just isn't all that interesting to me.

I really don't like the Street Fighter look with all the sculpts. Especially Raiden's tiny and huge thighs...

EVERYTHING seems to be headed in that general direction anymore... MOST annoying, IMO...

EVERYTHING seems to be headed in that general direction anymore... MOST annoying, IMO...

47 seems to to be the least affected by this, although they gave him a really weird sculpt. He looks like his clothes shrunk in the washing machine.

• 2 months later...

Movie Batman actually looks really good, to the point I might actually get it. Catwoman and Joker look surprisingly good too, but bane just looks stupidly over-muscled and veiny. Arkam city batman just looks incredibly bad; he's so ridiculously muscular he looks like a flabby old man. his face having both jowls and forehead wrinkles doesn't help the old man look either. oh, and I hate how much texture his suit has.

The arkham city old, fat batman, is based off the dark knight returns skin, which I agree is TOO wrinkley. I'll be getting the rest but undecided on AC harley. Glad movie batman's head looks like it was scaled up a little bit, but definately ripping off that cape and giving him a cloth one.

I'd have gotten these instead of the much larger and more expensive HT versions, but then these would never fit into my Tumbler.

I'm not utterly insane enough to actually buy a HT tumbler, so I don't have that problem. :p

I'd have gotten these instead of the much larger and more expensive HT versions, but then these would never fit into my Tumbler.

The Nolan TDKR characters look nice, although Bane looks a little too ripped. I don't remember him being that "veiny" in the movie.

actually they're smaller so they "could" fit in there :)

Anyways greats pics of everyone's figs. After I got ffxiii-2 lightning and her foot problems, I was totally disheartened. However my re-addiction to batman stuff led me to arkham asylum batman, and I was blown away of how fun that figure is. Since I'm an articulation whore, I think I'm giving up on hot toys for now as these are much cheaper and way more pose-able, the inaccuracies are forgivable. Bummer I missed out on Solid Snake.

...of course if a company made articulated and accurate sculpts in this scale, that would be GAME OVER!!

Edited by Negotiator

Man, the one time I didn't double-check my post.... <_<:p

After I got ffxiii-2 lightning and her foot problems, I was totally disheartened.

I wish you didn't me of that. The left foot on mine actually snapped off after I tried to adjust it a little. Now it's held together by blu-tack.

• 4 months later...

I picked up Arkham City Bats and Catwoman today, and after seeing the atrocious paint job that male Shepard got, it's hard to believe they came from the same company. They both look great, especially Catwoman-it's the best looking figure she's ever had IMHO. By the way, if you're in the Bay Area in CA, Legends in Vallco Mall will give you 20% off if you buy both Bats and Selina.

seriously, what is going on with this stupid price creep:

OG Master Chief was $55, now Halo 4 MC is $65, the series 2 halo 4 figures are going to be $70. and Issac Clark is f*cking $80...

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=SEP10408&mode=retail

:wacko:

The yen's been pretty high for a while now, but that's only part of the problem, IMO. PlayArts seems to have gotten in its head that it's the next Hot Toys or something, despite the fact that many of the recent figs are just a dodgy as before in terms of quality and design.

I guess that's what happens when you have a monopoly over the most popular video game licenses.

Edited by GU-11

but the yen's been dropping for months now, prices should be better now, not worse.

really, the worst part is that despite how expensive these things are, I'm still fully prepared to buy multiple Halo 4 spartan figures just so I can kitbash my personal in game armor setup. (of course, that assumes they're even going to make a protector and a pioneer armored spartan figure at some point.)

The yen's gone down, but I heard it's not by much--still pretty hight compared to, maybe two or three year ago. Either way, I'm more or less done with PlayArts. My FF-XIII-2 Lightning had a bum leg, and I don't like the joints they use for the arms.

That said, I might make a small exception for MGR Raiden.