To buy or not to buy?

Audentia

So everyone knows there is a massive sale going on at hlj; the object that caught my eye was the VF-0A.

55 percent off?! Why shouldn't I jump the gun.

The dilemma I have after doing some research is the infamous stress marks on the shoulder joints, loose parts, and magnets not having the right polarities? To top it off this coming April they are going to have a re-release of it according to my sources.

For the ladies and gents who own a VF-0A, is it really worth it? I know I should not be bi$%hing abut 91 USD since the original price is around 205 USD? But this is going to be my first 1/60 "action figure"; can't have it perfect; however, I don't want it to snap in the middle of my "enjoyment".

Seize the day or wait for the re-release?

Second Part:

Thinking of adding a custom paint scheme from the ace combat series such as the Razgriz paint scheme if I do get it. I've been looking around the web to find a custom Macross anything paint job but no dice. Just wondering if this is a stupid idea or collectors just like to keep their collectibles in mint condition.

I like my vf-0a, but i had the arms problem, so had to buy extra arm. If you can get a second edition vf-0s, with all the fixes, then that would be better for you. Otherwise, i think the vf-22 Gamlin / Max (NOT millia, i hurd knee caps missing on some) or yf-21 are saffer bets. They are also on special right now

I have my doubts as to seeing more VF-0 re-releases... if you're a big fan of the design that's a hard price to pass on.

Woops, my mistake. I read my information wrong. It was the re-release of 2010. Looks like the one they have on hlj was the one from 2006.

I see, thank you for your inputs ladies and gents.

Am going to linger around this thread a little longer to collect more opinions. I know, ultimately it comes down to the buyer's decision but maybe someone has a mod or fix that can be applied to this model.

I am not positively sure, but I have heard that the re-release of the 0S and 0A were flawless and good toys to boot. But you say that the one on HLJ that is currently on sale is the 2006 issue? I believe this is the release that was plagued with breaking arms that may even pop off during the first transformation or right out of the box.

On the other hand though, there have been a lot of people who have gotten theirs in perfect condition with no problems. So all in all, it seems as though things have really been hit and miss.

At this price, I would say go for it. At nearly a $100 savings, the sting of a broken toy will be a LOT less than if you paid full retail, AND there is always the good chance that you will get a good copy of the model with no issues.

Beyond that, you can always find ways to get new arms from Yamato in the case that your model breaks. Also, since you seem to really like the design of the 0A, the potential benefits really do outweigh the negs.

Lastly, if you don't want to take a leap of faith for a potentially broken toy, then you could always pay up a bit more for a re-released model, though it can be hard to tell which release a store is selling.

Just my $0.02 :)

I am not positively sure, but I have heard that the re-release of the 0S and 0A were flawless and good toys to boot. But you say that the one on HLJ that is currently on sale is the 2006 issue? I believe this is the release that was plagued with breaking arms that may even pop off during the first transformation or right out of the box.

On the other hand though, there have been a lot of people who have gotten theirs in perfect condition with no problems. So all in all, it seems as though things have really been hit and miss.

At this price, I would say go for it. At nearly a $100 savings, the sting of a broken toy will be a LOT less than if you paid full retail, AND there is always the good chance that you will get a good copy of the model with no issues.

Beyond that, you can always find ways to get new arms from Yamato in the case that your model breaks. Also, since you seem to really like the design of the 0A, the potential benefits really do outweigh the negs.

Lastly, if you don't want to take a leap of faith for a potentially broken toy, then you could always pay up a bit more for a re-released model, though it can be hard to tell which release a store is selling.

Just my $0.02 :)

Point taken.

Thank you for your time.

How are you certain that VF-0A offered at HLJ is the one from 2006?

They list the original release date as Oct 2006 near the pricing.

Also according to my research for this aircraft; 2006 was ver.1 while the VF-0A Shin with Ghost was ver.2

The cake is a lie?

hard to say, the mold was released in 2006, and I got one in 2008 after a long grueling battle over the over priced shipping issue from the seller. 5 minutes after opening it up and ready to transform it, shoulder disintegrates and the laser turret snapped off. :( sad sad day as a collector. It truly turned me off from the series.

They list the original release date as Oct 2006 near the pricing.

Also according to my research for this aircraft; 2006 was ver.1 while the VF-0A Shin with Ghost was ver.2

The cake is a lie?

Yes, but that was just the initial release. I've ordered many things from HLJ, such as Max's TV VF-1A. Although the page I ordered it from indicated the original release date, the version I received was the reissue with the new hip lock mechanism and clear canopy. Thusly, although the original release date of the VF-0A Mass Production Type was in 2006, there was also a re-release issued in 4/10. Now, I'm not inferring that the one offered at HLJ is the re-release, but it isn't necessarily the original release either.

hard to say, the mold was released in 2006, and I got one in 2008 after a long grueling battle over the over priced shipping issue from the seller. 5 minutes after opening it up and ready to transform it, shoulder disintegrates and the laser turret snapped off. :( sad sad day as a collector. It truly turned me off from the series.

When in doubt-- duct tape.

Am just kidding. I have yet to watch Macross Zero. The only reason why I desire this unit is because of the head design ha-ha-ha...

Am a model-kit builder myself and am just trying to expand my arsenal of Mech minions.

You should try to get a hold of epoxy putty, Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, with tiny metal rods for a bootleg frame. Unless you tossed it somewhere, duct-tape is a fine solution >=)

Yes, but that was just the initial release. I've ordered many things from HLJ, such as Max's TV VF-1A. Although the page I ordered it from indicated the original release date, the version I received was the reissue with the new hip lock mechanism and clear canopy. Thusly, although the original release date of the VF-0A Mass Production Type was in 2006, there was also a re-release issued in 4/10. Now, I'm not inferring that the one offered at HLJ is the re-release, but it isn't necessarily the original release either.

I really hope what you said is true. I thought Gundams were expensive when I broke a unit, but with a Macross mech, I firmly believe it hurts a lot more.

Second Part:

Thinking of adding a custom paint scheme from the ace combat series such as the Razgriz paint scheme if I do get it. I've been looking around the web to find a custom Macross anything paint job but no dice. Just wondering if this is a stupid idea or collectors just like to keep their collectibles in mint condition.

Not stupid at all, check the link in my sig line below. ;) (page 2 in the link have the better fighter mode pics) I also weathered my VF-0A and 0S and added a little more dark grey to the stab. on the 0A. Incidentally, the are both original releases and haven't broke or fallen apart either. Granted they mainly stay in fighter mode, but I have transformed them a few times after they originally arrived. Let me know if I can help you out in anyway. :)

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Why don't you just ask HLJ which version they are carrying?

In fact I doubt if there is any brand new 1st release VF-0A around. Though they are prone to break, they were sold out before the re-release.

The re-release box has no flip cover, and is easy to tell.

Why don't you just ask HLJ which version they are carrying?

In fact I doubt if there is any brand new 1st release VF-0A around. Though they are prone to break, they were sold out before the re-release.

The re-release box has no flip cover, and is easy to tell.

I...god damn it; I didn't think about that. I'll take your advice once their servers are back up and running.

Not stupid at all, check the link in my sig line below. ;) (page 2 in the link have the better fighter mode pics) I also weathered my VF-0A and 0S and added a little more dark grey to the stab. on the 0A. Incidentally, the are both original releases and haven't broke or fallen apart either. Granted they mainly stay in fighter mode, but I have transformed them a few times after they originally arrived. Let me know if I can help you out in anyway. :)

Chris

Yes any advice would be great.

I was thinking of applying the basic steps from Gunpla.

I wanted to make the VF-0A as the squad leader of Razgriz from ace combat 5 and have the VF-27b a wing men.

The problem with the toy compare to a model kit is it's already assemble so I have yet to find out how to airbrush with accuracy.

Steps on weathering would be a great help as well. Here is what I'll be working with.

Thanks.

post-13906-0-38559300-1300151382_thumb.jpg

post-13906-0-87295800-1300151395_thumb.jpg

post-13906-0-18387600-1300151414_thumb.jpg

I don't know if you already know this or not, but just in case you don't, I believe that a 1/60 VF-0A will be MUCH larger than the 1/72 VF-27 in your pictures. Unless you intended for that in the first place, at which point you are right on track :p

Edited by Archer

i got a re-release 0S a couple of years ago... no real problems except for one of the feet retracts when in battroid mode (and i remember others also had this problem). it's an easy fix since you can access the part just by deploying the landing gear on the problematic leg... no need to open the whole leg assembly. just dab w/ nailpolish or superglue to the sliding part. there's also a fix here if the front fuselage of your VF-0 starts drooping... i think it's in the "What's wrong with my Yamato, Bandai" thread.

if you really like the design of the VF-0 this maybe the last ever large scale incarnation that will ever come out since Yamato has said that the Mac Zero line is pretty much dead. At that price it wouldn't hurt too much if you have to do some tweaking here and there.

...and you might wanna ask HLJ about the box design of their VF-0A coz the latest VF-0As that Yamato released came with this box design - new VF-0A box .

Edited by m0n5t3r

...and you might wanna ask HLJ about the box design of their VF-0A coz the latest VF-0As that Yamato released came with this box design - new VF-0A box .

Thanks for the heads up, m0n5t3r. I wasn't aware that Yamato had a different box design for the VF-0A reissue. Do you happen to know if it's the same case with the latest VF-0S release?

I got a VF-0A at the last HLJ sale and it was definitely the re-release with the new box a la m0n5t3r's post earlier up. Is it worth it? Well, depends on how much you like the design I suppose. I personally feel it's a little rickety compared to some of the other VF's Yamato has made. It's my second least favorite 1/60 just ahead of the horribly floppy YF-19.

I don't know if you already know this or not, but just in case you don't, I believe that a 1/60 VF-0A will be MUCH larger than the 1/72 VF-27 in your pictures. Unless you intended for that in the first place, at which point you are right on track :p

NOPE! Never had a 1/60. How big can it get O_O?

vf0s_vf1s_top_view_comparison.jpg

I believe that a 1/60 VF-1 is similar in size to a 1/72 VF-27, so this comparison pic of a 1/60 VF-1 vs. a 1/60 VF-0S should be somewhat helpful.

For more accuracy though, I would definitely ask around the forum here as I bet people who have both models will be willing to snap a pic or something for you.....

I got a VF-0A at the last HLJ sale and it was definitely the re-release with the new box a la m0n5t3r's post earlier up. Is it worth it? Well, depends on how much you like the design I suppose. I personally feel it's a little rickety compared to some of the other VF's Yamato has made. It's my second least favorite 1/60 just ahead of the horribly floppy YF-19.

Yeah, I just got a response back from HLJ, and according to them their current stock is from the 2010 production run.

i got a re-release 0S a couple of years ago... no real problems except for one of the feet retracts when in battroid mode (and i remember others also had this problem). it's an easy fix since you can access the part just by deploying the landing gear on the problematic leg... no need to open the whole leg assembly. just dab w/ nailpolish or superglue to the sliding part. there's also a fix here if the front fuselage of your VF-0 starts drooping... i think it's in the "What's wrong with my Yamato, Bandai" thread.

if you really like the design of the VF-0 this maybe the last ever large scale incarnation that will ever come out since Yamato has said that the Mac Zero line is pretty much dead. At that price it wouldn't hurt too much if you have to do some tweaking here and there.

Ah... I jumped the gun and the picture on hlj is definitely not the one you posted -__-". I'll just cope with it I guess.

vf0s_vf1s_top_view_comparison.jpg

I believe that a 1/60 VF-1 is similar in size to a 1/72 VF-27, so this comparison pic of a 1/60 VF-1 vs. a 1/60 VF-0S should be somewhat helpful.

For more accuracy though, I would definitely ask around the forum here as I bet people who have both models will be willing to snap a pic or something for you.....

Oh...well--I'll have to buy 7 more 1/72 and claim that they are fin funnels/dragoons.

I believe this is a win-win situation.

Well, it looks like this thread is coming to a close.

Thanks to you guys I found the solution.

I'll stick around here and see what else are in these forums.

See ya around.

Thank you again for your contributions.

It came it came; I came! Like "old man" said, it is the re-release version.

Now...how to I take the landing gear out; am afraid I might break it since this thing feels like it's glass.

WOW! If you had ordered only recently, you must have received that order crazy fast from HLJ?!! What shipping did you use :wacko:

btw, as many others on this forum have suggested, you can use like a bent paper clip, or better yet, a small rubber band to wrap around

and pull out the landing gear in a very safe fashion :)

Yeah, I chose SAL as the delivery option. I was expecting it in a month but I guess not; it just means my two stands and my ghost will arrive in about a week too!

Hi everyone.

I have been out of the loop with Macross toys for several years, and have just started to get into collecting them again.

Unfortunately, I just noticed that Yamato had released Macross Zero toys and was disappointed to find that they discontinued the line. Basically, I missed out on getting them at all or at a good price.

Right now, I am tempted to get the VF-0A from HLJ, as they are having a great sale on it, but I really would like the VF-0S. I found a VF-0S for sale for about $220, but the price for the VF-0A is really tempting.

So my question is, would you spend the extra $100 or so for the VF-0S, or just get the VF-0A from HLJ?

Thank you all in advance, for any advice you may have.

Hi everyone.

I have been out of the loop with Macross toys for several years, and have just started to get into collecting them again.

Unfortunately, I just noticed that Yamato had released Macross Zero toys and was disappointed to find that they discontinued the line. Basically, I missed out on getting them at all or at a good price.

Right now, I am tempted to get the VF-0A from HLJ, as they are having a great sale on it, but I really would like the VF-0S. I found a VF-0S for sale for about $220, but the price for the VF-0A is really tempting.

So my question is, would you spend the extra $100 or so for the VF-0S, or just get the VF-0A from HLJ?

Thank you all in advance, for any advice you may have.

It really depends, is the 0S an original or re-release? I've heard mostly good things about the re-releases, though I personaly got an original release and it's fine. As far as which one to go with, it seems the 0A is fairly easy to find, but the 0S is slowly creeping in price again, that and I overall like the 0S more than the 0A, if you've got the dough go for an 0S.

It really depends, is the 0S an original or re-release? I've heard mostly good things about the re-releases, though I personaly got an original release and it's fine. As far as which one to go with, it seems the 0A is fairly easy to find, but the 0S is slowly creeping in price again, that and I overall like the 0S more than the 0A, if you've got the dough go for an 0S.

I am hoping that it is a re-release. I have ordered items from HLJ in the past, and have always been pleased with their service. The online store that has the VF-0S, I have never ordered from before, so I am kind of hesitant to order from them.

I also like the overall look of the VF-0S, which is why I am having a hard time deciding which way to go.

Are there any other good stores anyone can recommend getting a VF-0S from?

Thanks.

Hi all.

I have found a local store that may have the VF-0S. From reading the different posts that the reissue VF-0A has a different box than the first edition. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any posts that there may be a different box, or box art for the VF-0S reissue. Is there any way of identifying the VF-0S reissue from just looking at the box?

Thanks.

Hi all.

I have found a local store that may have the VF-0S. From reading the different posts that the reissue VF-0A has a different box than the first edition. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any posts that there may be a different box, or box art for the VF-0S reissue. Is there any way of identifying the VF-0S reissue from just looking at the box?

Thanks.

Unfortunately nope, the 0S box didn't change for some reason though the 0A box did, you just gotta take your chances. I personaly think you should grab an 0S while you can find one, I don't see the Mac-0 line getting reissued any time soon.

Hi all.

Thanks.

how much exactly is the pricing of the VF-0S that you found?