Earthquake in japan

Murphy

Call ME heartless and you are welcome to do whatever you want with your money but I won`t be donating to this appeal. There`s just something off about it seeing as Japann is a rich country but their public generally do not give to charity of any kind themselves. I mean theres something I just don`t like about the Japanese students at my local university asking for donations now but a month ago when Australia had its biggest floods in half a century and thousands were made homeless they didn`t give a fvck. I know the Australian floods were nothing like this scale but still a lot of Australians gave but Japanese culturally do not give money to charity. They seem happy to ask for it though? Just doesn`t sit right with me is all..

Now giving to a country that gives like the US, or a dirt poor country that has nothing to start with, that I can get behind.

It's not about being rich or poor. It's simply about being humanitarian. Places like Sendai were literally wiped off by the tsunami, the radioactive damage because of the Cesium will screw up their fishing economy among other many, many other problems. I gave to Haiti, so I'll do the same towards Japan.

I have to add, that Japan gave help to my country, Mexico in response to the earthquake that caused a large destruction in 1985. I won't turn a blind eye to them now. They sent food, helped with reconstruction efforts and gave technical help to avoid the same kind of damage.

In the personal aspect, I know a few of them, one of which is a former teacher and now a very close friend. I saw her the other day and I can simply say that I don't like to see worry on a usually cheerful face.

Rich or poor, I don't give a crap.

Edited by CrazyMartian

I think you're misinformed, Millionstar. The Japanese government has been lending TONS of money to the US and doing a huge part in keeping America going. Besides, from what I've seen, the Japanese often are very generous, so to say they "culturally do not give to charity" is simply wrong.

Of course the Japanese government (3rd richest in the world) gives to disaster relief, I am talking about individual charitable contributions like the members on this board are making of course. Ever notice how the Japanese charity collectors outside Shibuya station specifically target white people for money? ;)

Actually Japan ranks 119 out of 153 nations in the World Giving Index compiled by charities. Pretty weak for a wealthy nation wouldnt you say? But like I said its a cultural thing and Japan is an Asian culture which is based on shame rather than guilt. (China ranks almost dead last). You can see the report here: http://www.cafonline.org/Default.aspx?page=19428

In other news the commercial media here is beating this whole thing up so bad too, saying how their reporters are now fleeing Fukushima and Tokyo and the whole country because its just `too dangerous`. Also saying how Japan is apparantly seeking help from Australian nuclear experts...um.. we have 1 nuclear reactor, Japan has 55 why the fxxx would our experts know more?? Sounds like bullsxxx to make Australian viewers feel important to me. other experts have been on TV fielding questions like `what is the danger to Australian cities?` and giving answers like `while the radiation will spread out through the whole world, Australia should survive the worst of it.` :D

After this incident I have an even better opinion of nuclear power than I did before. an 8.9 and a tsunami cant even fully take these motherfxxxxxs out.

Edited by Peabody

Helicopter water drops have been suspended, number of onsite workers raised to 180 from 50 and trace levels of iodine and cesium have been found in tap water up to 50 miles away that has been connected to the nuclear power plant. Tests later in the day show no traces.

It's still the cleanest way to produce electricity by a country mile.

The media are like the little dog on the gas station forecourt that constantly tugs at some old rag and wont let go.

They get a story and sink their teeth in. Also they feed off of each other so it ends up at times like Chinese whispers.

Edited by big F

It's still the cleanest way to produce electricity by a country mile.

The media are like the little dog on the gas station forecourt that constantly tugs at some old rag and wont let go.

They get a story and sink their teeth in. Also they feed off of each other so it ends up at times like Chinese whispers.

As long as it's designed correctly.

From what I heard, the Fukushima plant had various design problems (such as being right at the coast, so a tsunami was an eventuality rather than a possibility).

Some good news, as reported by CNN:

[8:33 a.m. ET Wednesday, 9:33 p.m.  in Tokyo] Severe damage to the containment vessel of the No. 3 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant is unlikely, Japan Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said Wednesday, according to a Kyodo News service report.

Also, the US military is sending in water trucks to help with the cooling.

Latest news stories:

Exposed rods spark meltdown fear: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12737508

Japan earthquake: UK rescue team 'foiled by red tape': http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12756366

Japan radiation fears prompt firms to move employees: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12756054

- I find this one the most troubling. I understand moving personnel out of the affected areas, but Nagoya and Osaka are not affected AT ALL. It sounds like senior management at some companies are overreacting or are not getting the news from sources that do not sensationalize the news (like the BBC).

Exposure, risk tied to variables: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110316a4.html

- I find this article intriguing, but am also concerned because some of the numbers are inconsistent with what other news sources, such as the BBC have reported (specifically the amount received from X-rays and CAT scans.) The only conclusion that I can draw is that even the experts don't agree.

Edited by sketchley

Also, the US military is sending in water trucks to help with the cooling.

This is a very good point, as fire engines are being used to pump sea water at the plant. Of the initial 8, half were disabled by one of the explosions. Of course, the question remains: will there be enough fuel to operate the pumps (fire engines, water trucks, etc.) until either the heating problem is resolved, or until the main or backup systems are restored.

Latest news stories:

Exposure, risk tied to variables: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110316a4.html

- I find this article intriguing, but am also concerned because some of the numbers are inconsistent with what other news sources, such as the BBC have reported (specifically the amount received from X-rays and CAT scans.) The only conclusion that I can draw is that even the experts don't agree.

That article isn't clear on duration and type of exposure. Ingesting or inhaling "safe" levels of radioactive materials can be very bad but being irradiated by high levels ov a short period of time can be okay and it also matters what the specific radioactive material is in question.

Some numbers are coming in: 430,000 people are staying shelters and some 1.6 million people are without drinking water.

Edited by eugimon

First of all pardon my English if i have used any wrong term or word, as this is an sensitive issue and my English isn't good.

I saw this Taiwan news regarding this 311(not sure if it is an official term) incident. They reported about this "activity/event"(can't think of any better words) of writting consolation letters to the people who were affected by this mishap while there will be people to translate the letters to the them. However, I'm not sure if it is only a Taiwanese organized "activity", or it is an "activity" by the Japanese officials? Sure the people who got involved in this mishap need money, blanket, food etc, but I believe that they need more encouragement, consolation, or any kind of emotional/mental support more than Money/items right now. Does anyone know about this letter writting thingy? I really do hope we could at least do something to help the people from "inside", giving them hope and such.

First of all pardon my English if i have used any wrong term or word, as this is an sensitive issue and my English isn't good.

I saw this Taiwan news regarding this 311(not sure if it is an official term) incident. They reported about this "activity/event"(can't think of any better words) of writting consolation letters to the people who were affected by this mishap while there will be people to translate the letters to the them. However, I'm not sure if it is only a Taiwanese organized "activity", or it is an "activity" by the Japanese officials? Sure the people who got involved in this mishap need money, blanket, food etc, but I believe that they need more encouragement, consolation, or any kind of emotional/mental support more than Money/items right now. Does anyone know about this letter writting thingy? I really do hope we could at least do something to help the people from "inside", giving them hope and such.

430,000 people are in shelters, 1.6 million without water, and a cold front moved in, roads and bridges are washed out. They need supplies, not well wishes. Please donate money or time if money is scarce.

This is a very good point, as fire engines are being used to pump sea water at the plant. Of the initial 8, half were disabled by one of the explosions. Of course, the question remains: will there be enough fuel to operate the pumps (fire engines, water trucks, etc.) until either the heating problem is resolved, or until the main or backup systems are restored.

I am under the impression that since the vast majority of the country suffered very little damage that the government should not have any problem delivering fuel and replacement fire/water trucks indefinitely if they need to, the entire countries resources weren't evaporated afterall. I think what's scary is that things are out of control and it seems like they are having to devise methods "on the fly" to try to solve these problems, and when you are dealing with unforeseen and completely unpredictable scenarios no one can be certain of how the situation will unfold.

You know how when there is a brushfire in California, we know how fire acts and the effects that the wind has on it and even though it can be a catastrophy and there is a measure of uncertainty about how far and fast things will go, we kinda know what to expect. With this, no one seems to know what may happen and it's leading to all this crazy speculation being broadcast around the world at lightning speed. People in California are panicking and buying up iodine pills as though thousands of miles away they are at risk of high level exposure. We'll probably see more deaths due to children geting thyroid poisoning from Iodine overdoses than we will radiation exposure victims.

Anyhow, this isn't about us. I hope our memebers, their families and friends are all safe and that the officials can come up with a solution to control the plant so that you may have some peace and rest easy for a while and the recovery can truly begin. I also hope that the people who are staying behind to fight to control the power plant are successful and survive their mission.

I am under the impression that since the vast majority of the country suffered very little damage that the government should not have any problem delivering fuel and replacement fire/water trucks indefinitely if they need to, the entire countries resources weren't evaporated afterall.

The problem is not the dearth of resources, but the damage to the transportation infrastructure in the vicinity of the power plant. Add to that a no-fly zone greater than 20 km around the site to prevent the spread of radioactive particles, compounded by fuel shortages in the area...

Kent: Uh, Mr. Burns, people are calling this a meltdown.

Burns: [laughs] Oh, meltdown. It's one of those annoying buzzwords. We prefer

to call it an unrequested fission surplus.

(Does Burns attitude sound familiar at all??)

CNN:

[4:25 p.m. ET Wednesday, 5:25 a.m. Thursday in Tokyo] A spent fuel pool at Japan's stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant is dry, resulting in "extremely high" radiation levels, the head of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission said Wednesday.

"What we believe at this time is that there has been a hydrogen explosion in this unit due to an uncovering of the fuel in the fuel pool," Gregory Jaczko told a House energy and commerce subcommittee hearing. "We believe that secondary containment has been destroyed and there is no water in the spent fuel pool, and we believe that radiation levels are extremely high, which could possibly impact the ability to take corrective measures."

Also,

The US Embassy has recommended a 50 mile radius evacuation/shelter zone compared to the 20 mile evac zone recommended by the Japanese government.

Some good news, a power line is nearly completed to the plant and will be used to restore power to the cooling system

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake

Edited by eugimon

I am prone to take most of the stuff we are hearing as not being fact, but some of the reports this afternoon sound pretty alarming. I continue to hope that it is exageration and that they wil begin to gain ground in containing this potential catastrophy.

I am prone to take most of the stuff we are hearing as not being fact, but some of the reports this afternoon sound pretty alarming. I continue to hope that it is exageration and that they wil begin to gain ground in containing this potential catastrophy.

Yeah, there's such a huge range in the stories coming out.

The US Nuclear Regulation Commission chief is calling the situation "troublesome" while the European Union's energy chief, Guenther Oettinger, told the European Parliament that the plant was "effectively out of control" after breakdowns in the facility's cooling system.

worst thing i saw from the footage was the boat of daycare centre kids on the little boat, that was terrible, prayers for everyone..

Easily the scariest thing i have ever seen this quake/tsunami/nuclear disaster.

I am glad my good mate in japan is ok, i was telling him to get on a flight the f out of there. lol, i've never been scared for a friend before... of course the media build-up can't be totally honest/correct, but all has been very alarming and I and certainly all of us feel helpless for whats going on.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

CNN story on what is to be the exposed spent fuel rods from reactor 4

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/16/japan.nuclear.reactors/index.html?hpt=T1

Spent fuel rods in Unit 4 of Japan's stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant have been exposed, resulting in the emission of "extremely high" levels of radiation, the head of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission said Wednesday.

"What we believe at this time is that there has been a hydrogen explosion in this unit due to an uncovering of the fuel in the fuel pool," Gregory Jaczko told a House energy and commerce subcommittee hearing. "We believe that secondary containment has been destroyed and there is no water in the spent fuel pool, and we believe that radiation levels are extremely high, which could possibly impact the ability to take corrective measures."

NPR just aired an interview where the guest experts said that there's little to no chance of this turning into a health crisis for Tokyo.

As long as my wife and baby get back to me safe and sound is all that matters to me, the 31st isn't coming fast enough. Official USN message traffic stated that CBRN alarms went off at the Fleet Activities Yokosuka and NAF Atsugi, probably Yokota too. Only required personnel are to report to work and the rest stay at home too. Might as well have my in-laws come live with me too, fart having them stay there if things really are as the reports from the news say they are.

CNN: [7:01 p.m. ET Wednesday, 8:01 a.m. Thursday in Tokyo] As air carriers monitor radiation concerns at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, German airline Lufthansa and Italian carrier Alitalia have rerouted flights to and from the Tokyo area to other Japanese airports.

According to the BBC, Britons are being advised but not ordered to evacuate Tokyo. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12765593

The Foreign Office statement said: "Due to the evolving situation at the Fukushima nuclear facility and potential disruptions to the supply of goods, transport, communications, power and other infrastructure, British nationals currently in Tokyo and to the north of Tokyo should consider leaving the area

Hey all, this is Renato, currently in Aichi prefecture, just arrived last night.

It seems panic is exacerbating the situation in Tokyo. The infrastructure was totally screwed a few days ago, I think things are returning to normal slowly, such as the trains but with the power outages and supply shortages I decided it be best to escape the chaos and go west. Just in case I had my re-entry permit extended, since it was due to expire in the first week of April.

Reports say that radiation is negligible in the Kanto region, but who knows. I had half a mind to go to the UK, but after evaluating the circumstances, I decided to stay and just watch over the situation over the next few days.

My nerves have calmed considerably since yesterday but I do have concerns. I'm waiting for that moment when we can say "well, the worst is over", but I haven't felt it yet. At least I managed to get drunk with my in-laws last night and got the first good night's sleep in several days.