Earthquake in japan

Murphy

Seems like NHK has been reporting that the reactors for the most part are contained. #2 is still questionable because they are not sure of the extent of the damage caused by the earlier explosion. I see elevated radiation levels reported even in Tokyo which seems somewhat contradictory.

Hopefully impact is negligible. Everybody over there please stay safe.

Some regular programming like anime and variety shows are returning to television gradually, which I suppose is a good sign. Everything up to now has been non-stop news updates due to the nuke-plant incidents/tsunami warnings/earthquake announcements/food-shortages/power outages etc. that have pretty much destroyed everyday life.

I guess slowly but surely, we are stumbling to return back to normal. I feel horrible for those just northeast of here, though.

It's difficult to say when things will return to normal, though. I didn't get any sleep after that quake last night at 4am. I don't even know how big that was, but it was either on of the bigger aftershocks, or the epicentre was very near Tokyo. I think it was the latter.

I must've been sleeping quite soundly...I felt the jolt after midnight, but the morning aftershock didn't wake me at all... :unsure:

Japan and its people has treated me very well over the years despite some annoying bureaucracy things which you just have to deal with. I think once this is over, society will be wiser and stronger than before.

One thing that I forgot was to express my sincere awe and gratitude to the guys in the plant making the ultimate sacrifices for the safety of us all.

Hear, hear!!

Call ME heartless and you are welcome to do whatever you want with your money but I won`t be donating to this appeal. There`s just something off about it seeing as Japann is a rich country but their public generally do not give to charity of any kind themselves. I mean theres something I just don`t like about the Japanese students at my local university asking for donations now but a month ago when Australia had its biggest floods in half a century and thousands were made homeless they didn`t give a fvck. I know the Australian floods were nothing like this scale but still a lot of Australians gave but Japanese culturally do not give money to charity. They seem happy to ask for it though? Just doesn`t sit right with me is all..

Now giving to a country that gives like the US, or a dirt poor country that has nothing to start with, that I can get behind.

I think you're misinformed, Millionstar. The Japanese government has been lending TONS of money to the US and doing a huge part in keeping America going. Besides, from what I've seen, the Japanese often are very generous, so to say they "culturally do not give to charity" is simply wrong.

I see elevated radiation levels reported even in Tokyo which seems somewhat contradictory.

Yeah, it was reported that some abnormally high radioactivity was detected in Tokyo today, but that may have been just temporary. The readings by themselves (I won't quote them here because I don't remember and I don't want to confuse things if I get them wrong) have no health effects, but it all depends on how long these particles kept flowing around, and if they increased over time or tailed off. Since the last readings at the site of the plant showed a marked decrease after that huge surge at the time of the last explosion, I would say the high readings were high, but thankfully brief.

Let's hope the situation at the plant remains under control.

My macroeconomic theory is a bit rusty but I think the idea is that the banks aren't selling Yen to foreign governments right now, they're instead distributing it to Japanese businesses in an effort to give the economy a life line. They made the Yen very cheap domestically which reduces the supply and strengthens it. That should be a short-term situation though... if the money is spent it will go back into the banks which will bring supply back around. Then if the economy is slow foreign investors won't sink as much money into the Yen and you'll start to see the Yen weaken. Of course, Japan thrives off exports so a weaker Yen then helps the economy a lot, the economy heats back up, governments invest in the Yen, the Yen strengthens, exports cool... and on and on.

Well from what I've read it's because they're buying it back for insurance companies, increasing its value. Jeez not even a natural disaster can drop the exchange rate... <_<

There`s just something off about it seeing as Japann is a rich country but their public generally do not give to charity of any kind themselves. (...)

Then you've misunderstood the situation. Japan is a rich country, it's people are comparatively "poor". Sure, things like the GDP, exchange rate and so on look high, but the PPP of the currency within the country is quite different.

But don't take my word for it. Try these articles:

http://books.google.co.jp/books?id=77ZqNbU_Y74C&pg=PA115&lpg=PA115&dq=japan+is+a+rich+country+with+poor+peopl&source=bl&ots=5nZwx7AnT1&sig=IvIccVbE0UpgtmvtjyUMYUUxlfc&hl=ja&ei=TmN_Tc3UBZCrcZbUvd8G&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CGwQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://www.wordpress.tokyotimes.org/?p=3920

http://www.questia.com/googleScholar.qst?docId=5001660638

http://www.cnngo.com/tokyo/life/poverty-japan-approaches-one-six-158714

One must also keep in mind that the areas that have been most affected have experienced total destruction. From an egalitarian standpoint, the disaster has rendered everyone effectively equal within the most affected areas. Sadly, the state is well below the poverty line and that a lot of people are unable to meet even their basic needs.

All that said, how you respond to the disaster is your choice. I humbly submit that you let other people make up their own minds regarding their response to the disaster.

Edited by sketchley

I don't even know how big that was, but it was either on of the bigger aftershocks, or the epicentre was very near Tokyo. I think it was the latter.

I think the epicentres of the aftershocks have been steadily getting closer to the Tokyo area.

Plus this nuclear reactor crap just gets from bad to worse every time I turn on the TV.

I've felt that, too. I'm hoping that there won't be any more bad news about them from here on out. Truly scary stuff.

I'm confused, on a Yahoo news story (I know, not the best place for accuracy), a reporter said that imported goods are going to be more expensive b/c the dollar is still falling compared to the Yen. Won't a huge crisis like this one that is crippling their economy cause the Yen to fall in value as their economy suffers???

I believe there's another angle that hasn't been addressed: supply vs. demand. The per-item cost may remain constant, but as production falls off (eg there's at least one weekly publication that I follow which wasn't on the newsstands today), prices will go up.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the situation in Japan is only one factor in the world market. The USD is still falling compared to the JPY because the USD is performing poorly compared to the other major world currencies.

For a more accurate gauge on the effect the disaster has had on the JPY, it's best to compare the JPY to the other major currencies.

There's just been a rather large earthquake in Shizuoka Prefecture (opposite side of Tokyo from Sendai). Shindo 6.

Was felt down here in Osaka - much more strongly than the large one at Sendai. :unsure:

Edited by sketchley

Yup.

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/20110315223637391-152231.html

I think this has been the largest (aftershock?) in the past 36 hours...

If I'm reading the map right, it might be an unrelated event. :(

http://cais.gsi.go.jp/Virtual_GSI/Tectonics/Niigata_Kobe/niigata_kobe.jpg

Edited by sketchley

I think you're misinformed, Millionstar. The Japanese government has been lending TONS of money to the US and doing a huge part in keeping America going. Besides, from what I've seen, the Japanese often are very generous, so to say they "culturally do not give to charity" is simply wrong.

Also, it's not like people are putting money in envelopes and sending it to "Japan", most of us are talking about donating to organizations that specialize in rapid response first aide and emergency supplies and shelter to desparate people in dire situations. Just because a country happens to have a higher per capita income doesn't mean that the geeral population have access to private helicopters to fly them away from natural disasters, there are currently tens and hundreds of thousands of Japanese citizens whose homes, workplaces and even families have been demolished by this unfolding disaster. Setting up shelters, organizing people, delivering supplies like food and water takes a coordinated effort and organizations like the Red Cross are skilled at doing just that and have plans to do so, so they aren't forced to make it up as they go like an unprepared city government may have to in case of a critical emergency.

And on the other point, which I think is an unfair generalization about the nature of the people, I found the people very helpful and hospitable in my trip to Japan. Even if they hadn't been, for me, the old Golden Rule applies, Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. You are of course welcome to do as you see fit and dislike anyone you choose, but aside from the good feeling that most people get from helping someone in time of need, and other personal benefits people reap from true altruism, you never know when you may find yourself in need.

And back to the disaster...

I am disappointed that it seems like we are getting so much misinformation about the real threat from the reactors at Fukushima. You can pull up any four or five news sites right now in the US and get drastically different stories about the level of danger. I am assuming it is because either no one really knows what is happening or the news is very bad. Obviously the government in Japan doesn't want to start a panic, but I wish instead of the sensationalism we are getting from the knuckleheads at CNN and the big broadcast stations they would show us the reports being given on Japanese TV/Radio with a straight translation, no commentator nonsense.

I'm still hopeful and sending my best wishes to everyone affected in Japan and I too am thankful for the heroes who may right now be sacrificing their lives at the plants to help contain the damage to the reactors.

The company I work for is setting up a matching donations program today to double contributions employees make to several emergency organizations like the Red Cross and doctors without borders and some others for employees who wish to contribute. I know they do it for the PR but I am glad they do it because it helps increase our small individual contributions.

News anchors are wearing hardhats again, and train services are being stopped (Tokaido Shinkansen, etc.). :(

I am disappointed that it seems like we are getting so much misinformation about the real threat from the reactors at Fukushima. You can pull up any four or five news sites right now in the US and get drastically different stories about the level of danger. I am assuming it is because either no one really knows what is happening or the news is very bad. Obviously the government in Japan doesn't want to start a panic, but I wish instead of the sensationalism we are getting from the knuckleheads at CNN and the big broadcast stations they would show us the reports being given on Japanese TV/Radio with a straight translation, no commentator nonsense.

Try the BBC and World Nuclear News.

The only clear thing about the situation is that the Japanese authorities are deliberately trying to avoid the term "meltdown", because it has nuances that containment has been breached.

holly crap a 6.0 earthquake near mount fuji

can anyone confirm here that our news media is accurate?

Shindo 6.0, magnitude 6.0 at 22:31 at a depth of 10 km. There is NO risk of a tsunami.

Power lines were knocked over, and some areas have lost power. The two nuclear plants in the area are continuing to operate and have not been shut down.

mentioned in this thread from the bottom of the linked post:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=34787&view=findpost&p=902568

Edited by sketchley

Call ME heartless and you are welcome to do whatever you want with your money but I won`t be donating to this appeal. There`s just something off about it seeing as Japann is a rich country but their public generally do not give to charity of any kind themselves. I mean theres something I just don`t like about the Japanese students at my local university asking for donations now but a month ago when Australia had its biggest floods in half a century and thousands were made homeless they didn`t give a fvck. I know the Australian floods were nothing like this scale but still a lot of Australians gave but Japanese culturally do not give money to charity. They seem happy to ask for it though? Just doesn`t sit right with me is all..

Now giving to a country that gives like the US, or a dirt poor country that has nothing to start with, that I can get behind.

you are of course entitled to your view and what you choose to do with your money. but perhaps generalizing a people based on personal experience or perception is a bit harsh, if not inaccurate. japan is one of the top foreign aid donors and consistently a quick responder to disasters, both points highlighted by the UN secretary general when he pledged support for the japan quake relief efforts. but even that is beside the point. i would espouse that humanitarian donations are quite simply just that: helping another human being, regardless of nationality, stature, or disposition. it is purely about helping, with no strings attached.

If your anything like me, completely ignorant about nuclear physics pictures always help

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/general-electric-boiling-water-reactor-mark-I.jpg

<sigh>

Images without context are meaningless.

Caption of image:

This cutaway diagram shows the central reactor vessel, thick concrete containment and lower torus structure in a typical boiling water reactor of the same era as Fukushima Daiichi 2

More information: Japan nuclear alert at Fukushima - Q&A (with animated slide show of reactor interior and what went wrong) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12732015

'Radiation' text message is fake: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12745128

Edited by sketchley

I have to give you props for having the balls to state your true feelings. Giving to those who give and not giving to those who don't is totally your prerogative. However, if most people feel like you, which in reality really do, then the world would not evolve to become a better place.

I am 8.6+ quake survivor from 89' in California and luckily didn't need a handout get my life going while many of my fellow Californians and personal friends were totally effed. But still, I've have given to the flood victims in Louisiana, Indonesian Tsunami, and quake relief in China 2008 and 2009. I just understand what these people have endured and for those who really need help, I hope my little bit can make a difference to them. And maybe one day, those who have received help would not think twice to help someone else, not necessarily me, in need.

That's my prerogative.

Thank God the radiation is falling. That would impact everyone on earth regardless of their political or personal feelings.

Edited by Neova

Even as Queenslanders are probably still wringing out their clothes from the epic flooding that struck them earlier this year...

Just as the Kiwis are only beginning to steady themselves after being shaken by quakes soon afterwards...

...and now this in Japan? I say a solemn prayer for ALL those who have been so cruelly affected by these tragedies. I fear that the scope of the devastation in Japan is going to be SO much worse than the reporting has so far indicated. The tolls of those lost will likely be measured in tens of thousands.

Say a prayer, burn an insence, or do whatever it is that each of you do in your own personal circumstances; so many folks are needing it. I think it's safe to say this is a level of disaster never before visited upon this generation of Japanese people; such widespread and complete destruction has likely not been seen since WWII(?)

Then you've misunderstood the situation. Japan is a rich country, it's people are comparatively "poor". Sure, things like the GDP, exchange rate and so on look high, but the PPP of the currency within the country is quite different.

But don't take my word for it. Try these articles:

http://books.google.co.jp/books?id=77ZqNbU_Y74C&pg=PA115&lpg=PA115&dq=japan+is+a+rich+country+with+poor+peopl&source=bl&ots=5nZwx7AnT1&sig=IvIccVbE0UpgtmvtjyUMYUUxlfc&hl=ja&ei=TmN_Tc3UBZCrcZbUvd8G&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CGwQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

that one's quite interesting. i'm gonna have to buy a hard copy of that...

GENERAL STATEMENT TO EVERYONE ON THIS THREAD:

Let's keep the thread about the general information and keep out the political discussion. We also don't need to learn about physics, the inner working of a nuclear plant and your opinions about the Japanese culture, or anything that doesn't relate to the tragedies that are happening. We don't need to know that you won't be donating for any cause also. Let's keep the thread about the subject at hand and less about you. There's actual people struggling and suffering. Let's not be selfish and think about ourselves at this time. And don't come back to me about how there's other disasters and people in need around the world. We all know why this thread is here on MW. Let's keep things on the intelligent level and not argue about things just for the sake or argument.

Thanks.

Is that recent? I can't remember which group or which disaster, but a couple of years ago I recall a big stink about when people donating for a disaster learned that the funds weren't "specific" and were going to be used in a "general fund".

Yes, the Red Cross screwed up during Katrina and the funds i believe were put into the general Disaster Relief Fund to support Katrina and other national disasters. It was a big PR bust, but we've had a new President and CEO, Gail McGovern, since 2008 and she has done an amazing job of turning the American Red Cross into a sound and fiscally responsible organization. When she took over the reigns 3 years ago, we were $212 million in debt, and during FY 10, she had us in the black and was very transparent on how those funds came to us and how we've been spending donor dollars.

Now there are tons of regulations on donations and restricted funds for specific disasters so that we follow all 'donor intent' to the fullest. We responded really well during Haiti and i've seen how all the donations we have collected are sitting in a reserve fund for the next several years designated to Haiti re-development efforts. The job isn't finished there yet even though the media has left, so any contributions made to big international crisis will support the relief efforts for as long as the help is needed.

Thanks to everyone that has donated! It's good to see this online community give back and i only hope you all take an extra step in the process to ensure that you prepare yourself for local disasters that can happen in your area.

Here's 3 simple steps to prepare yourself:

1. Get a Kit - Get your own disaster kit for you and family. Water is the most important thing you need. 1 gallon of water per person for at least 3 days.

2. Make a Plan - Make sure you and your family have a plan in case of a disaster. Where would you meet if you were on opposite sides of town? do you have out of state contacts?

3. Be Informed - Know where to go in case of emergency, which radio stations to listen to. Also, I recommend taking CPR/1st Aid so in extreme emergencies, you can help out others after you take care of yourself and your family

more info here: http://preparela.org/

GENERAL STATEMENT TO EVERYONE ON THIS THREAD:

Let's keep the thread about the general information and keep out the political discussion. We also don't need to learn about physics, the inner working of a nuclear plant and your opinions about the Japanese culture, or anything that doesn't relate to the tragedies that are happening. We don't need to know that you won't be donating for any cause also. Let's keep the thread about the subject at hand and less about you. There's actual people struggling and suffering. Let's not be selfish and think about ourselves at this time. And don't come back to me about how there's other disasters and people in need around the world. We all know why this thread is here on MW. Let's keep things on the intelligent level and not argue about things just for the sake or argument.

Thanks.

One, two, three....

You know... I understand how people are suffering. Trust me I have been in a similar situation. Civil War in Croatia ...

never mind... I'm a dumbass... ban me, I want it so bad.

One, two, three....

You know... I understand how people are suffering. Trust me I have been in a similar situation. Civil War in Croatia ...

You're just asking for it to prove a stupid point. Civil war in Croatia? Are you serious. You win. I tried working with you but you're outta here. See you on your next profile.

My Japanese language teacher's relatives live in Ishinomaki. She got the call that they were safe in class yesterday, first time I have ever seen her lose her composure. Real happy for her. My thoughts go out to the people in the affected areas.

The images shown in the media just look so surreal.

Considering the near future. Wonder what will happen to the people who have lost everything? Don't know if home insurance in Japan covers natural/nuclear disasters. Some kind of government aid?

We were planning our next family holiday in Japan. I've been there by myself for 2 wonderful weeks a couple of years ago. Going to be a harder sell on the family now. I've heard a lot about Tokyo and the north, but how did Osaka and Kyoto fare through the quake?

I've heard a lot about Tokyo and the north, but how did Osaka and Kyoto fare through the quake?

Mentioned here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=34787&view=findpost&p=902504

If you do come, I recommend a direct flight to KIX. There's no telling how the electrical disruptions are affecting the operations of Haneda or Narita.

Edited by sketchley

Some news stories:

Take proper steps to avoid exposure to fallout: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110316a7.html

Japan nuclear alert at Fukushima - Q&A: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12732015 (updated interactive graphic)

Lessons learned in Kobe aid relief effort: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110315a9.html

Thanks for the link.

I was thinking of doing a house swap in Tokyo towards in the end of the year. Have to have a big think about this. Of course i would love to support the Jap economy, not to mention visit Kyoto again, but its going to be a harder sell to the wife now, we will just have to wait and see.

Like 9 of 10 "spikes" the past few days have been short-lived, sometimes only minutes. And remember, "50 times normal" is still like what many marble and granite buildings give off 24/7 anyways...

no, this was up to 1000mSv which is enough to cause radiation sickness. It's back down to the 800-600 range and workers are back on site.