Earthquake in japan

Murphy

Japan has a tendency to reject US aid in times of need, I don't know why, it's not like we're the Chinese whom the Japanese really dislike. I wouldn't be surprised if their PM resigns over the handling of the disaster at the plant.

Fortunately the Kan government has had alittle more sense to ask for help then the administration during the big Kobe earthquake in the 90s. Though, wasn't the 7th Fleet already steaming towards Japan as early as Friday? Plus all of the US bases like Yokota and Misawa are going to be in aid/relief mode.

Edited by Shadow

I wouldn't be surprised if their PM resigns over the handling of the disaster at the plant.

Why? He wasn't the one who made the current policies (they were most recently revised after the Tokaimura JCO Criticality Accident), and a large part of the response (especially the oft confusing announcements and general dearth of information) is due to TEPCO.

Though, wasn't the 7th Fleet already steaming towards Japan as early as Friday?

The Yokosuka based CVN-73 (George Washington) has been sent up the coast to help, and the CVN-76 (Ronald Reagan) was redirected from exercises off the Korean peninsula to the Tohoku region.

Edited by sketchley

Fortunately the Kan government has had alittle more sense to ask for help then the administration during the big Kobe earthquake in the 90s. Though, wasn't the 7th Fleet already steaming towards Japan as early as Friday? Plus all of the US bases like Yokota and Misawa are going to be in aid/relief mode.

The 7th fleet is based in Yokosuka, so they're in the area. I'm hearing my stepbrother in Hawaii's getting deployed to help, so even more is coming to help the region.

A video I run into: recording started from NHK when they interrupt regular broadcasting at about 14:48 JST. The big quake started at sea at about 14:45 JST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctFjf3zhGNk

30 minutes later they were already showing live shot of major water coming in, including the frequently shown clip of cars and boats washing up against a road bridge. They really didn't have much time to run, and I don't hear loud siren (do hey use that at all?) when you can hear the background noise of water rushing. But hopefully most people there would instinctively turn on the radio/TV right after feeling a major quake and hear the major tsunami warning. We also see how low the estimated tsunami height was at 10 min mark, 3m and 6m (which is already crazy high), v.s. later at 45 min all are 10m+.

Video Shows Tsunami Hitting City of Kamaishi

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ddf_1299959424

Damaged F-2 fighters

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=124_1300024965

New batch of aftermath and rescue photos:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/03/japan_earthquake_aftermath.html

Satellite photos before and after:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-quake-2011/beforeafter.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/13/world/asia/satellite-photos-japan-before-and-after-tsunami.html?ref=asia

3D graphic of the reactors in trouble:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/12/world/asia/the-explosion-at-the-japanese-reactor.html

And on a lighter note, quake damage of toy collections:

http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/thread-149370-1-1.html

Edited by CF18

Let me remind some of you people to refrain from talking about politics.

As for the status of many industry members, ANN has a running list of people who have checked in:

News: Anime/Manga/Game Industry Members Check In After Quake

Yoko Kanno has also posted a song in support of the quake victims:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O8x6_JHDkhI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All of those bases you mention aren't just US bases either so the US Navy and Air Force will help regardless seeing as many service members who are stationed their have Japanese dependents or live off-base. If I was still stationed there I'd probably be living on base with one of my friends and his family or in the Navy lodge. 7th base ARE the FDNF out of CFAY, 5th fleet is mobilizing for sure as mentioned by somebody else with the Reagan en-route.

Why? He wasn't the one who made the current policies (they were most recently revised after the Tokaimura JCO Criticality Accident), and a large part of the response (especially the oft confusing announcements and general dearth of information) is due to TEPCO.

I said that since it's been reported that his government refused US aid in reactor cooling systems donations, once the dust settles, we'll see just what kind of reports and press releases will be made by the government and peoples reactions of course. My wife is most displeased by that so far. Probably around the summer time everything "should" be "okay", hopefully transportation resumes before the end of the month. My wife told me they're scheduling black outs, and gasoline prices have risen and it's hard to even get it after shutting down the train system and that there's a shortage of food throughout the country right now, not to mention the death toll being near 10000 or past that at this point. :(

Just a random thought from a friend. He asked me if a figure he ordered from HLJ would likely be gone due to the Tsunami and I honestly didn't know. Anyone here know if the Tsunami took out many large transport ships?

I have spoken with several friends in Japan and they are all okay thank goodness! One said his friends got stuck in Tokyo after the quake hit but he was able to ride his bike back home.

Just a random thought from a friend. He asked me if a figure he ordered from HLJ would likely be gone due to the Tsunami and I honestly didn't know. Anyone here know if the Tsunami took out many large transport ships?

If his parcel left Japan already, I won't worry. If the package is still in Japan....then he probably won't get it for a while longer.

I have spoken with several friends in Japan and they are all okay thank goodness! One said his friends got stuck in Tokyo after the quake hit but he was able to ride his bike back home.

Depends on how it was shipped.

If the package is still in Japan....

ON Japan might be a better word.

A sizable number of containers were swept out to sea. Even some container boats at sea were swept ashore by that monster tsunami.

Fukushima reactor #3 has just had a hydrogen explosion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMCa-Zo_ZEU&feature=player_embedded

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110314/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_earthquake_nuclear_crisis

By ERIC TALMADGE and MARI YAMAGUCHI, Associated Press – 30 mins ago

SOMA, Japan – The second hydrogen explosion in three days rocked Japan's stricken Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant Monday, sending a massive column of smoke into the air and wounding six workers. It was not immediately clear how much — if any — radiation had been released.

The explosion at the plant's Unit 3, which authorities have been frantically trying to cool following a system failure in the wake of a massive earthquake and tsunami, triggered an order for hundreds of people to stay indoors, said Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano.

The blast follows a similar explosion Saturday that took place at the plant's Unit 1, which injured four workers and caused mass-evacuations.

Japan's nuclear safety agency said six workers were injured in Monday's explosion but it was not immediately clear how, or whether they were exposed to radiation. They were all conscious, said the agency's Ryohei Shomi.

Earlier, Tokyo Electric Power Co., which operates the reactor, said three workers were injured and seven missing.

see above link for more.

Mother nature is no joke.

And another thing.

Is Japan looking at a meltdown now? The water that exploded was the same water keeping the reactor cool right? Sea water may be used as an emergency coolant but sea water is not a good coolant because it is very corrosive. As per some of my reading. Don't they have backup coolant systems for emergencies like this?

Edited by SilentCrossHairs

Before/After pics of quake and tsunami affected areas

Is Japan looking at a meltdown now? The water that exploded was the same water keeping the reactor cool right? Sea water may be used as an emergency coolant but sea water is not a good coolant because it is very corrosive. As per some of my reading. Don't they have backup coolant systems for emergencies like this?

Many of the backup systems went down when they lost power. That's what happened at the Fukushima plant. The coolant backup systems lost power and the backup generators they were using eventually ran out of juice. And I heard they were using water to cool the reactors but with the stability of the backup systems right now, it's not getting any better.

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/RS_Explosion_rocks_third_Fukushima_reactor_1402111.html

The use of sea water is terminal to the reactor core (meaning: they won't ever be used again. Period.)

If I understand what is being said correctly, there isn't a chance of a meltdown, and any use of the term meltdown in English news sources is based on a mistranslation.

Many of the backup systems went down when they lost power. That's what happened at the Fukushima plant. The coolant backup systems lost power and the backup generators they were using eventually ran out of juice. And I heard they were using water to cool the reactors but with the stability of the backup systems right now, it's not getting any better.

Partially correct.

The main systems went down because of the disruption to the infrastruction and the automated deactivation of the reactors because of the earthquake.

The backup generators were working for about an hour, until the tsunami hit. At that point, they stopped working.

Emergency measures have been undertaken to first get enough light water into the reactor core to keep the fuel from being exposed to the air (which at the minimum will provide a quicker medium for the radiation to spread, at worst will cause the fuel to melt).

After it became clear that those emergency measures weren't enough, they proceeded to attempt to release the built-up pressure (causing a small release of radiation that is deemed to not be hazardous to humans). This release caused a buildup of hydrogen in the sub-facilities immediately above the containment vessel, and that is where the explosions have occured. So far, in both cases, it's been reported that the containment vessels have not been compromised in either explosion.

Currently they are pumping sea water into the reactors to assist in cooling. I believe they are doing it with 3 of the reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi Plant.

6 self-defence force personnel deployed to the area during the explosion at reactor no. 3 were injured. So far, it's unclear if they have been contaminated.

That's really, REALLY disturbing...

Many of the trains are down today, so I'm taking the day off of work. Aftershocks hit occasionally, and I'm thinking, "All right! I get it! You're an earthquake! Now will you PLEASE STOP!?"

During the last two major earthquake cycles that I've experienced since being here, aftershocks continued for the following 2 weeks to 1 or 2 months (earthquakes in Kansai and Niigata).

Sorry, I wish I could give better news, but believe the news broadcasts when they say that the aftershocks will continue for a month.

The good news is that there shouldn't be any as large as the main event.

Linky to map of the earthquake and subsequent aftershocks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_Sendai_Earthquake_2011.jpg

Oh... I don't know if it's been mentioned yet in this thread, but there's a concurrent, separate series of earthquakes occurring in Japan.

Tōhoku region Pacific Ocean offshore earthquake: 9.0 Mw (the one that caused the tsunami); 05:46 UTC (14:46 local time) on 11 March 2011

Niigata Prefecture: measured magnitude of 6.7 by JMA occurred at 18:59 UTC, 11 March (03:59, 12 March local time); which has also resulted in numerous aftershocks.

The Niigata one is no where near as destructive as the Tohoku one (and it's subsequent tsunami), but there are some terrible pictures of houses with up to a metre of snow on their roofs that have crumpled.

This concurrent earthquake does make one wonder if the Niigata earthquake is related, as the Tohoku quake was caused by the subduction of the Pacific Plate under the Okhotsk plate, which is pushing into the Amurian plate.

EDITed for formatting clarity. This board's auto-combine feature isn't very good at formatting...

Edited by sketchley

During the last two major earthquake cycles that I've experienced since being here, aftershocks continued for the following 2 weeks to 1 or 2 months (earthquakes in Kansai and Niigata).

The good news is that there shouldn't be any as large as the main event.

Still, looking at the USGS' earthquake monitor, I haven't seen any aftershocks fall below a 4.5 and with larger ones hitting the 6-range. These aftershocks are probably not helping, mentally or structurally.

This concurrent earthquake does make one wonder if the Niigata earthquake is related, as the Tohoku quake was caused by the subduction of the Pacific Plate under the Okhotsk plate, which is pushing into the Amurian plate.

The cascade effect is certainly peculiar. Related? Always possible given the relative time and locale between the 2.

Nearly all of my housemates are leaving...some back home to Italy or France, one to Shizuoka, one to Australia...

If there's more bad news I might book a flight to Taipei... :unsure:

Overall, how is it in your part Gubaba? And do what you got to do to be safe.

ATTN MW members in the Tokyo region:

The TV news has just announced that the rolling blackouts in the affected areas are starting. Parts of Tokyo (or at least some of the private rail lines) WILL be affected for at least 2 hours or more hours. I may be mistaken, but I believe it was from 16:00 to 18:00.

Candles were sold out yesterday. Today, bread, instant noodles and batteries are sold out. Gasoline is currently being rationed at 20 L per customer at (some?) gas stations. These are in the Tokyo area.

Edited by sketchley

Overall, how is it in your part Gubaba? And do what you got to do to be safe.

Everything seems fine. The whole Kanto region is having rolling blackouts for a while, but they haven't hit my area so far.

The trains are running sporadically today, and a lot of shops are closed. It's also nearly impossible to find any canned food anywhere...the convenience stores are picked clean.

Still, looking at the USGS' earthquake monitor, I haven't seen any aftershocks fall below a 4.5 and with larger ones hitting the 6-range. These aftershocks are probably not helping, mentally or structurally.

Agreed. But it must be stressed that the majority of these are off shore, and are of a scale similar to that which hit Christchurch earlier this month (and the main reason why that earthquake was particularly devastating is because it's epicentre was pretty much right under the city.)

This is by no means a dismissal of the seriousness of these aftershocks, just that they are not in the same order of magnitude as the main event. The most immediate effect of these aftershocks is the disruption to the search efforts from the ensuing tsunami warnings. (And it should be noted that today is the first day since the main event that the tsunami warning graphic has not appeared on TV.)

Everything seems fine. The whole Kanto region is having rolling blackouts for a while, but they haven't hit my area so far.

The trains are running sporadically today, and a lot of shops are closed. It's also nearly impossible to find any canned food anywhere...the convenience stores are picked clean.

Are you well stocked on food and water? Or anyone else for that matter. It looks bad from the news reports I'v seen on the shortage of supplies.