Earthquake in japan

Murphy

BBC is showing the video of the explosion at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant.

Earthquake, tsunami and nuclear meltdown. Each one of these is a terrible disaster on its own. But to have all these happening all at once to one country is beyond words. :(

The containment building's roof blew, injuring some workers. it has just been confirmed that the inside has not been ruptured and no radiation is leaking. just in case neighbouring areas are evacuating.

The containment building's roof blew, injuring some workers. it has just been confirmed that the inside has not been ruptured and no radiation is leaking. just in case neighbouring areas are evacuating.

Thats somewhat good news. I hope there able to get the cooling system running.

Just been catching up on what's been happening since I went to bed last night, I was horrified! This, is somewhat of a relief though. I wonder why the coolant system the U.S. was willing to send was refused? Ganted I'm sure it would take some time to get there but...

Chris

Chris

Me as well...

My thoughts and prayers are with all members, their family and friends and everyone else effected by this truly horrible and frightening event. May everyone be safe during the coming hours, days and weeks.

Adam

I'm over at MCAS Iwakuni, Japan right now. Nothing going this part of the country other than Tsunami Warnings. Just have to stay away from the seawalls right now. Not bad for us due to the location and how this part of Honshu is angled away.

So you're in Iwakuni too right now, huh? Yeah only had a network issue, but other than that didn't see anything from this.

didnt know so many board members in Japan.

Are you japanese? Did you move to Japan to teach english? Surprising if the former that so many americans speak japanese well enough to work there.

Anyway, not sure whats going on with that reactor but the roof blown off and coolant systems down in a 40 year old plant it seems to me the government is downplaying the seriousness

Are you japanese? Did you move to Japan to teach english? Surprising if the former that so many americans speak japanese well enough to work there.

Who are you asking this question to? Context would help considerably.

I am you MWers in Japan are ok. Seeing the latest news now, Japan govt just issued an alert on the nuclear power plant. The evacuation is now 12 miles from the plant. If you guys or your relatives are in the area, try to get out. (Easier said than done, I know.) Be careful and be safe with those aftershocks hitting.

Who are you asking this question to? Context would help considerably.

most people that say I am in Japan and I am ok (thank god). Comment was more curiosity, my dream is to visit Japan one day. I have an easier inclination to learn Japanese than Chinese although I can get by in cantonese since my mother in law cant speak any english. Japanese comes easier to me because of my own Native tongue Croatian which is phonetic.

Just been catching up on what's been happening since I went to bed last night, I was horrified! This, is somewhat of a relief though. I wonder why the coolant system the U.S. was willing to send was refused? Ganted I'm sure it would take some time to get there but...

Chris

Chris

Japan has a tendency to reject US aid in times of need, I don't know why, it's not like we're the Chinese whom the Japanese really dislike. I wouldn't be surprised if their PM resigns over the handling of the disaster at the plant.

The images and the aftermath of this disaster are truly shocking, if you take into account the fact that earthquakes are common in that region and that Japanese infrastructure is supposedly built to to take into account fairly extreme seismic activities, I can only imagine the devastation that would have fallen upon a lesser prepared country.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and survivors.

This also reminds us to try to live life every day to the fullest... you're ok and flying high one day and the next moment you're swept away by a tsunami.

Edited by Ghost Train

Glad to be hearing from a lot of you folks over in Japan.

Hoping and praying that you all stay safe and away from any dangers.

Before we start pointing any fingers about how these disasters have been handled, let's not forget that the difference between a 6.0 and a 8.9 or 9.0 earthquake is EXPONENTIAL, meaning the difference is sorta like the difference between 1,000,000 (106) and 1,000,000,000 (109).

I doubt most earthquake-proof building designs are made to withstand an 8.9 earthquake.

Can any civil or structural engineers chime in on the subject? :unsure:

Yesterday there was a feed from a helicopter news team who were flying over the devastation and it clearly showed a JR line train in the wreckage and mud in a large field.

The U.K news team totally missed this as important as they were more interested in the reactor issues.

But now I guess that this was one of the missing trains.

There was also footage of a guy on a bicycle peddling for all he was worth to out run the slick of mud and water chasing him up a country road, he's about 100m in front of it and they cut the feed before we see if he's safe.

There was also footage of some cars trying to get away, one of them clearly performs handbrake turn in the road and then floors it in the opposite direction, again the news feed was cut before the fate of these people was shown.

That kinda thing clearly brings it home the plight of those involved, I sure hope they got away.

Bicycle guy made it to the front pages on one of our news papers, not much solist for his friends and family if he didn't make it though.

Just saw Kawamori san, Tenjin and Risa Ebata, so can at least can confirm they are safe. Asked Tenjin about his family and he said they are all OK. Thoughts to all the many in Japan who are suffering now.

Graham

Where? There are a few sites that are posting info on people who have been confirmed found and would like to add them to the list.

Does anyone know anything about Haruhiko Mikimoto?

I doubt most earthquake-proof building designs are made to withstand an 8.9 earthquake.

Can any civil or structural engineers chime in on the subject? :unsure:

Yeah 8.9 is serious stuff.

I think its not so easy to gauge the effects of an earthquake solely on whether its 8.9 or 7.2 etc.

I am not an expert in this but IIRC, stuff like the terrain surrounding the epicentre, whether it is at sea or on land and also how 'deep' the quake was matters more than the magnitude of the quake. e.g. If the epicenter was 8km below the surface, it hits the floor with much more than if it was 20km down.