Earthquake in japan

Murphy

I'm over at MCAS Iwakuni, Japan right now. Nothing going this part of the country other than Tsunami Warnings. Just have to stay away from the seawalls right now. Not bad for us due to the location and how this part of Honshu is angled away.

Felt the shaking for about 45 seconds around 2:45 today, plus several aftershocks. Other than that, Sapporo seems to be suffering no apparent damage.

It was probably the worst earthquake I've ever been through...it felt much bigger than the '94 Northridge quake. But overall, no damage in my part of Tokyo, although some of my housemates had to walk back from Shibuya, which is kind of a long trek, and my date in Yokohama ended up getting postponed.

Im ok, posting with psp now. this was really bad, im glad i was at home (about to go out) cos it seems everyone is stranded...

my gas is out but i have power and my house is standing, so im lucky.

hope everyone else is ok

Im ok, posting with psp now. this was really bad, im glad i was at home (about to go out) cos it seems everyone is stranded...

my gas is out but i have power and my house is standing, so im lucky.

hope everyone else is ok

Ditto (although I haven't checked the gas).

A few of my housemates are still out, but I assume they'll be back eventually. One of my friends has parents in Fukushima, so she's been trying to get hold of them since the first quake hit. Cell phones still seem to be out...so thank goodness for Facebook!

That's just horrible. RIP to the victims, hope for a full recovery and return to normal life soon.

everyone at other parts of the world will be praying for minimal casualties from this disaster as well.

Edited by Andy NYK

I talked to Egan Loo on Wednesday night right before his flight to Tokyo. geez. Hope he's ok.

Save, renato, gubaba glad to hear you're all good.

Egan is still in Cal. his flight has been pushed back due to the quake, unless something else happens he should be here Sunday.

This was truly the big one.

Here in Eastern Osaka Prefecture, a good 600+ km away, as the crow flies, the earthquake registered Shindo 3! There was even a woman in the same city my house is in who was hit by something falling off of a power utility pole here :o

The scale of this thing is unprecedented (apparently it's the strongest earthquake =EVER= recorded in Japan).

I've attached a screen-grab from the Japan Meteorological Agency (as given the number of aftershocks, it's probably gonna disappear soon). Usually earthquakes register as 3 to 10 dots, with the worst either a high 2 or a low 3. Truly mind boggling the size of this thing.

Link to site: http://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/20110311145349391-111446.html (map is interactive).

post-3910-0-91020400-1299848743_thumb.jpg

And yes, that's right - if the SDF-1 were on South Ataria Island (if such a place existed), it would've felt this monster. :blink:

The news is reporting that trains/subways restarted in the Tokyo area at about 20:00.

And yes, that's right - if the SDF-1 were on South Ataria Island (if such a place existed), it would've felt this monster. :blink:

The news is reporting that trains/subways restarted in the Tokyo area at about 20:00.

That's not what I heard... Yamanote line and other JR lines are all down for the rest of the day, with subway lines "hoping" to get back online but no promises. Most Shinkansens are grounded for the day. As I type this, MW member Alex is stranded, but safe. Just cold, I guess.

OK. Maybe JNN reported wrong, or it's some of the private rail lines that have restarted.

Either way - I've heard that the tsunami caused by the quake has reached North America. Is there any damage being caused by it over there?

Cold... these past few days have had a nasty cold snap (a few flakes of snow fell in the Osaka area, and I think Tokyo got a blanketing a few days ago). I really hope that those in the worst effected areas have a good source of heat AND that our MW members in Tokyo-to who don't have gas get their heat from a different source.

Edited by sketchley

That said there are reports that the water is receding on the coast of Hawaii so the waves are coming. Hold tight guys. :(

Watching it all unfold here at about 9am GMT all our news channels are alive with reports of it all. Apparently there is a Nuclear power station that has broken it cooling system in the quake, and they are trying to put out a massive fire at the fuel depot outside Sendai.

Everyone I know in Japan is mostly o.k or well outside the affected areas thankfully.

When I was last in Tokyo there was a "small" M5 quake I was amazed at how the Hotel workers just carried on as usual and didn't seem bothered, Quake precautions in Japan are amazing.That said this is quite bad to say the least.

Edited by big F

That said there are reports that the water is receding on the coast of Hawaii so the waves are coming. Hold tight guys. :(

That's not a good sign. Hope that the tsunami doesn't hit too hard in Hawai'i.

Apparently there is a Nuclear power station that has broken it cooling system in the quake, and they are trying to put out a massive fire at the fuel depot outside Sendai.

The nuclear power station is probably the single scariest thing on the news. Of course, the fuel depot is scary stuff too - as, if I understand it correctly, those big tanks are filled with propane. And when propane goes off... (I don't want to think about it.)

When I was last in Tokyo there was a "small" M5 quake I was amazed at how the Hotel workers just carried on as usual and didn't seem bothered, Quake precautions in Japan are amazing.

I was amazed by it, too, when I first arrived. Nowadays, I think I understand the mentality: if nothing breaks or falls down, continue on as you were; especially as keeping busy will keep you from dwelling on the fear of earthquakes (and believe you me, every Japanese that I've talked to has a fear of earthquakes.)

Edited by sketchley

Didn't read the posts but I hope the board members from MW are safe and sound. My condolences to the Japanese people. My friends local church is setting up a relief fund and I will be donating locally

The nuclear power station is probably the single scariest thing on the news. Of course, the fuel depot is scary stuff too - as, if I understand it correctly, those big tanks are filled with propane. And when propane goes off... (I don't want to think about it.)

I hope they put out that fire at the fuel depot because this is what happens when it goes boom.

I m in Chiba, here it was pretty hard, but my zone is ok, my friends parents also live in fukushima but they seem to be alright, unfortunately my gf can´t communicate with her family and friends, witch is worrying me.

Glad to hear all our MW members out there are okay.

I remember when I was in Tokyo a couple years ago we had something like a 5.6 in the middle of the night. Save the next day mentioned it was the worst quake he had felt since he moved to Tokyo.

They had one plant automatically shutdown (SCRAM) when the quake hit, but I'm surprised the other one didn't.

I was going to rewatch Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 sometime but I don't feel like it anymore.

Intense, glad to hear everyone here is ok so far. Hopefully the damage & casualties won't be too extensive.

unfortunately, the news sources indicate substantial casualties at the tsunami hit areas... :(

Edited by Andy NYK

WOW

Makes me sad to see those cars on the road seeing people trying to make a run for it from the deluge. My prayers are with everyone there. I heard a 1 meter wave hit some Russian Islands. News broadcasters here in Canada are reporting Tsunami warnings in BC.

Edited by Snail00

NHK is currently reporting more than 200 casualties, and many hundreds of people missing.

Tsunami are truly terrible - the images associated with this event are right up there with the more harrowing ones from the Indian ocean tsunami. I think the worst tsunami image from this event is burning debris being carried along by the water. Scary stuff.

I hope they put out that fire at the fuel depot because this is what happens when it goes boom.

At least one of them already went off. Fires are still raging out of control...

Makes me sad to see those cars on the road seeing people trying to make a run for it from the deluge. My prayers are with everyone there. I heard a 1 meter wave hit some Russian Islands. News broadcasters here in Canada are reporting Tsunami warnings in BC.

BBC has some jaw dropping videos of the tsunami.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12716870

I think some of the tsunami were 3 to 5 m in the worst effected areas. Currently more than half the coastline has a tsunami warning of 3 m or greater.

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/tsunami/

Some open ocean tsunami sensors have reported wave heights of 1 m or greater.

Edited by sketchley

I am very,very glad to hear our members in Japan are ok!! I can't believe the videos they are showing on the news, the sheer power of the waves is mind-bending.

Matt Alt from Toybox DX was on the US news this morning reporting on the status, so at least we know he is ok too.

I'm sure there will be some donation efforts soon, and we will participate.

Just wish there was something more we could do help!

Everyone stay safe there!!!! Our prayers are with you.

Shawn

Soma Initial Tsunami 14:55 JST 11 Mar (+) 0.3m

Maximum Tsunami 15:50 JST 11 Mar 7.3m or more

:blink: !!!

source: http://www.jma.go.jp/en/tsunami/joho.html

... and there have been aftershocks (some pretty major) roughly ever 5 to 15 minutes since the initial event.

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/20110311145349391-111446.html (scroll ahead for aftershocks after the initial event).

What's most intriguing about this event is that there were a series of small earthquakes over the preceding day or two before the main event.

Edited by sketchley