Sneak Peaks at Robotech: Invasion...

I think it's cartoony looking, and the mecha and spaceships look too "bubbly" for my tastes.

That's how I felt when I looked at them. The coloring is great though. I would have much prefered if they stuck to the style that was used in the From the Stars(prequel story) and Love and War instead of these new style. Weren't they trying to go for a more anime type of style in this? Bad idea in my opinion. The other was working for them and looked great. Oh well.

Edited by Effect

In the first frame the perspective on that big green spaceship is all screwy.  :(

Yea...

the scale seems to be off now that you mention it. The Garfish's are supposed to be 179m long. From the way it is drawn...looks more like 70m.

And yes..it is Lancer in the top frame (he's the one wearing CVR-3 and piloting an AF-03 Bat).

Edit:

Added image of Garfish-class Light Cruiser with VF/A-6 Alpha for scale comparison. The AF-03 Bat should be about the same length as the Alpha....where as the Invid Scout with Booster is about half the length of the Alpha (and those Invid shouldnt have the booster anyways....they were launched from a troop carrier...but that is my anal retentive side coming out ;) ...which makes the Invid Scout less than half the length of an Alpha...closer to 1/3.)

MEC_31_1_6639.gif

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

(and those Invid shouldnt have the booster anyways....they were launched from a troop carrier...but that is my anal retentive side coming out ;)

eh, it was always my understanding that the Shell-Dor transports could only carry Iagaas w/ boosters.

That's what they launch in the first episode...and the published line art has a cross-section drawing of its launch bays, and shows an Iagaa Booster in it.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to dredge this thread up, but I found out that there are two artists at work here. Tak Miyazawa does the character drawings. He also does Uncanny X-men, coming out on wendsday. The other guy (who I do not know his name), does the mecha frames. Thats why there is a different style of art to it.

Storywise, I'll give you that, robotech is not a story worth following, and since it is giving more money to my dreaded enemy HG, don't buy i on those grounds.

Artwise is another matter, I think that Robotech lucked out in getting him as an artist, and if anything he will be the sole redeeming quality of that comic book will have. He draws in a manga style which would go well with a faux japanese style that symbolizes robotech.