Aquarion Evol

Lobizon

An official website of new Aquarion TV anime "Aquarion Evol" was launched on February 26th. The production studio is Satelight and the producer is Kawamori Shoji. Details of the anime will be announced later.

post-8744-129870093476_thumb.jpg

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=286545

http://www.aquarion.info/

http://aquarionevol.com/

http://ameblo.jp/aqevol/

Edit: to add. :D

Edited by Lobizon

I think it would be interesting to watch all of Kawamori's directed works back to back just to see what it says about him as a creator. I think watching just one show is in a way like taking a chapter out of his career without context.

That said, I didn't love nor hate Aquarion. But if you watch Kenji no Haru, Arjuna, Macross Zero, Aquarion, then Frontier in that order, I'm sure you'll get more out of them as a whole. I may do just that when I have time.

It seems Kawamori is only supervising this new show, though, so this is bound to be different again.

Watch all his directorial works back to back? Sorry I think I'd have to be some sort of value contortionist, or is simply too imbecilic to fruitfully use my spare time on other things, to do that. And that, is saying a lot about him as a storyteller. Should have just stuck to pushing out mechanical designs, but no! ^_^

All I'm saying is he ought to just stick to what he does best and leave the storytelling to professionals. It's better for him in the long run. Some of his hardcore fans aren't receptive of his role as director or writer at all, but you don't have to be a hardcore fan to appreciate his designs and visions.

Read from somewhere that SDF Macross and DYRL isn't really how Kawamori envisioned the anime to be. Macross 7 it seems is closer. Now I'm going to sleep well tonite thanking Noburo Ishiguro for that. ^_^

All I'm saying is he ought to just stick to what he does best and leave the storytelling to professionals. It's better for him in the long run. Some of his hardcore fans aren't receptive of his role as director or writer at all, but you don't have to be a hardcore fan to appreciate his designs and visions.

Read from somewhere that SDF Macross and DYRL isn't really how Kawamori envisioned the anime to be. Macross 7 it seems is closer. Now I'm going to sleep well tonite thanking Noburo Ishiguro for that. ^_^

Firstly, he IS a professional. Secondly, his hardcore fans are the minority in terms of audiences for TV shows.

Thirdly "read somewhere"... yeah, don't put too much faith in the net. He made most of the story, he drew the storyboards, Ishiguro was just there to mostly give advice and make sure they were doing what they needed to be doing (which is not to minimize his importance at all, of course, he is the authority on the whole show).

Macross 7: Kawamori was "only" (again, not to belittle his influence) the supervisor on that show. He was mostly busy directing Macross Plus with Shinichiro Watanabe at the time.

I don't enjoy everything he does, but.... man. But OK, you're entitled to your opinion.

Firstly, he IS a professional. Secondly, his hardcore fans are the minority in terms of audiences for TV shows.

Thirdly "read somewhere"... yeah, don't put too much faith in the net. He made most of the story, he drew the storyboards, Ishiguro was just there to mostly give advice and make sure they were doing what they needed to be doing (which is not to minimize his importance at all, of course, he is the authority on the whole show).

Macross 7: Kawamori was "only" (again, not to belittle his influence) the supervisor on that show. He was mostly busy directing Macross Plus with Shinichiro Watanabe at the time.

I don't enjoy everything he does, but.... man. But OK, you're entitled to your opinion.

It seems to me his work only shines when there is hand holding involved. To date, he's had more than one chance at making great anime solely on his own leadership but yielded only results ranging from lukewarm to "eh, wtf did I watched that for?" responses. You may say it's my opinion, but what I see in his directorial works vs his collaborative works are far too inconsistent in story quality to be far off. Judging from the do or die perspective, his failure is usually his failure to deliver a good story, decent character development and etc. Or his is simply bad at managing his team. He's lucky there are more numbers in Japanese TV audience that are less discerning about good tv than like his long time fans; his work is not really winning overwhelming numbers of new converts to his other than Macross works either. So what's the point? ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Aquarion Evol Presentation Streamed

The Ustream website will broadcast a live Aquarion Evol presentation on Saturday at 11:30 a.m. in Japan (Friday at 9:30 p.m. EST). The presentation will include a talk show featuring the anime's staff and cast, including chief director Shoji Kawamori, director Yusuke Yamamoto, and producer Atsushi Iwazaki.

http://www.animenews...tation-streamed

• 1 month later...

So the sequel to Genesis of Aquarion, Aquarion EVOL started airing a week ago, and I was wondering if anyone here was also watching it. It's being produced by Satelight and like the first one is also being spearheaded by Kawamori.

On a side note, it's always interesting to see different works by Kawamori and see how similar themes and motifs are present in the various works.

Edited by Solidus Snake

I just finished watching Aquarion less than a day ago. It looks like the designs and action sequences from Aquarion were put into Macross Frontier. So this Aquarion EVOL could give us a glimpse into the next Macross series in terms of mecha designs.

Saw the special 1s 2 eps. Wow....nostalgic....history repeating itself even, and now with more Macross Frontier style in it.

I thought the boys' commander look and acts alot like Patrick from Gundam 00. LOL.

I love that we have the "flamboyant captain" character back (now with scar and eyepatch).

I'm thinking bad guy and amata make up Apollo. Bad dude shares the bestial nature of Apollonius whereas Amata is the kind guy. Ying and Yang. Oh kawamori you're not letting go of your new age stuff are you?

I seem to be in the minority web-wise, but I actually like this cast better than the original; mostly due to there not being a Sirius-type character - I absolutely could not STAND him. Remains to be seen where the story is headed, I hope not another retread but something slightly different. Kinda a Vandread-like gender war going on in the background. The idea of a mecha with a chastity belt is....different to say the least! Interesting that they're using recycling Kanno's score, hopefully we'll get some more orchestral/choir goodness later on.

I seem to be in the minority web-wise, but I actually like this cast better than the original; mostly due to there not being a Sirius-type character - I absolutely could not STAND him.

Cheyene is very sirius-like IMHO

School idol....check

Big brother with siscon....check

Dude with inferiority complex due to a noob being better than him....check

Possible traitor ..... highly likely imho

I watched it, but I didn't think it was much to write home about. The designs look weird to me, and the weak "oh, I'm so useless, I can't do anything, boo-hoo" male does nothing for me. It wasn't bad, but... blue and pink robots??

I watched it, but I didn't think it was much to write home about. The designs look weird to me, and the weak "oh, I'm so useless, I can't do anything, boo-hoo" male does nothing for me. It wasn't bad, but... blue and pink robots??

The show has robotic jets with chastity belts....errr....stones. And you're complaining about colours? XD