If I never seen or heard Robocop this looks like a movie I might see. Having already seen it. I'm a bit concerned that they removed the best story element from the first film. His memory wipe and having remember that he is human.

If I never seen or heard Robocop this looks like a movie I might see. Having already seen it. I'm a bit concerned that they removed the best story element from the first film. His memory wipe and having remember that he is human.

After giving this some thought, I'm okay with that possible theme to the film.

In the 80s, with computers and technology becoming more ubiquitous in all areas of life, there was a wariness of what would happen to us (iirc). Would we still be human with all these gizmos and toys?

Now, after decades of computers and with people glued to their smartphone screens, the fear of technology and fear of losing "us" in it is nowhere to be found in the public mind. Instead, today the big concern is how much are our governments lying to us? Do we really control our own lives or is it just the illusion of control? Can we trust what the big corporations are telling us what we're doing?

I think the existentialism of the first film will be in this one, just coming from a different angle and updated for a modern audience. Either way, I'm going to watch it before deciding if it's crap or not ^_^

Would be nice if they make a Play Arts Kai version of the Version 1 of the new Robocop.

Agreed, Square Enix does a good job w their armor based figures from the Play Arts Kai line.

Re: the trailer I'm undecided, but w a February release date my expectations will be set accordingly.

-b.

My initial impression based on the trailer is that they didn't dehumanize Frank enough. In the original, Frank Murphy was little more than a machine with faint remnants of humanity that would surface from time to time; you'd see this manifest itself in inexplicable flashbacks and "malfunctions" as his broken humanity tried to surface. It's also clear to the audience that Frank Murphy will never be able to return to his loved ones again. I don't know about you guys but I found that very sad and worthy of a few tears.

In the trailer for the new movie, Frank Murphy just seems like an angrier, meaner, metallic version of himself; he even gets to talk to his kid? If the new Frank Murphy really is just an angrier, meaner, metallic version of himself I'll have to say "thanks but no thanks-I already own the Iron Man movie trilogy, and at least they have Gwyneth Paltrow and waaaaaay better special effects..."

Edited by myk

I like how there is the classic suit blueprints on the dude's console.

Yeah, that's about as good as the cameo in the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy movie of the original Marvin the Paranoid Android costume, that make you think "Why the hell didn't they just use the original design then instead of that poxy thing with the giant head???"

movie_still.jpg

Edited by taksraven

My initial impression based on the trailer is that they didn't dehumanize Frank enough. In the original, Frank Murphy was little more than a machine with faint remnants of humanity that would surface from time to time; you'd see this manifest itself in inexplicable flashbacks and "malfunctions" as his broken humanity tried to surface. It's also clear to the audience that Frank Murphy will never be able to return to his loved ones again. I don't know about you guys but I found that very sad and worthy of a few tears.

I agree. That's another thing that I liked about the first movie: the memories that kept Murphy grounded in his humanity. This is what made Robocop different from the A.D. Police short that came out around the same time with a much more broken and angry main character. I also agree that the new Robocop seems too much like Iron Man---a guy-in-a-suit character rather than a mesh of technology and living tissue. I wonder why they felt the need to change the look?

Anyway, there is enough about the new movie to make me curious. I'm still unsure about how I will see it (in the theater or as a rental).

In the trailer for the new movie, Frank Murphy just seems like an angrier, meaner, metallic version of himself; he even gets to talk to his kid? If the new Frank Murphy really is just an angrier, meaner, metallic version of himself I'll have to say "thanks but no thanks-I already own the Iron Man movie trilogy, and at least they have Gwyneth Paltrow and waaaaaay better special effects...

What he said, (with Franck substituted as Murphy) with more emphasis on the 1st para. This new "Robocop" feels like he is still fully "Alex Murphy" despite the cybernetics

Maybe it's me, but I think the classic-colored look would give a better feeling of "man losing himself to a machine"-appeal than a black suit. The black suit feels like boron carbide plates instead of actual metal.

Was watching the trailer again this morning, and i think the fight against between Murphy's programming and his humanity is more subtle compared to the previous movies.

Somewhere in the trailer someone says something like "the illusion of free will". I guess this time instead of the 5 OCP directives being constantly shown to Robo that he must adhere to, those are now subtly implanted as part of Murphy's psyche and he feels like he is upholding them willingly, hence why he ends up feeling angry, angsty and stuff because he isn't himself due to the programming. We're going into some existentialism themes here.

I designed that white lab!!! Look on the floors for the Macross Vernier thruster ;-)

Can't say I would recommend this one though... so I'll just keep quiet after this. (...if you got nothing nice to say, say nothing at all... - Thumper)

They did completely reshoot the ending in Vancouver - it might of improved since I read it last.

Edited by wm cheng

Looks like there will be a reason for me to watch this movie. I'll go check out your designs, wm cheng.

BTW, has anyone seen the director's other works? Looking at his biography, he's had experience in directing crime films in Brazil that won numerous awards. I wonder how his style will translate in a sci-fi environment.

If they really wanted to make him a "man trapped in a machine" they should have broken up the silhouette more, like with the Synths from "Total Recall".

robot+police.jpg

I wonder how his style will translate in a sci-fi environment.

More like "...in a mainstream entertainment environment"

Not exactly thrilled by the trailer. Seriously, did they HAVE to do the Ironman "facemask flip" thing? It's like how everyone started using slow-mo bullet scenes in their movies after it was popularized in The Matrix.

And after seeing the metallic suit, I like the black version even less.

"...something more "tactical." <_<

And after seeing the metallic suit, I like the black version even less.

"...something more "tactical." <_<

Yeah, I think that black suit is the source of fan discomfort. It feels too much like a guy-in-suit a less like robot while the "classic"-look feels more mechanical.

Yeah, I think that black suit is the source of fan discomfort. It feels too much like a guy-in-suit a less like robot while the "classic"-look feels more mechanical.

I didn't pay a whole lot of attention but it appears that this time Murphy keeps most of his body, so a guy in a suit is - in fact - just what he is.