I saw it too, back in the day. I like both - but they are completely different beasts. Sue me! ;) I also like both the Tank Girl comic, and the movie and they are quite different as well.

Both the Aeon Flux and the Tank Girl movie rank pretty high on my "Wasted Opportunities" list. High potential source material diluted for the masses. Reboots to the rescue, please. (Well, Tank Girl did at least get a comic reboot, with mixed flavors)

Edited by electric indigo

So... Thoughts?

That trailer disappoints me on two levels. For one, it's not Robocop. And two, despite the title, it's not related to the Prototype game/comic book series.

...I'll probably rent it though.

Both the Aeon Flux and the Tank Girl movie rank pretty high on my "Wasted Opportunities" list. High potential source material diluted for the masses. Reboots to the rescue, please. (Well, Tank Girl did at least get a comic reboot, with mixed flavors)

Wasted opportunities? High potential source material? Please tell me you are joking. Tank girl and Aeon Flux are the embodiment of everthing that was wrong with animation and comics in the 90s. Pointless ultra violence favoring style over anything remotely substance.

Tank Girl? Keep true to the source material and I doubt anybody could sit through 1 hour and 20 minutes of stuffed toy Koala's getting sodomized, random penis drawings hidden everywhere, random human-mutant kangaroo sex, idiotic drug use and stupid plots a 4 year old could come up with. There are websites that exist if I wanted to see any of that crap.

Aeon Flux? What plot? All we got was som chick in bondage gear doing a half assed job supposedly fighting some vague guerilla war. The whole series is best remembered for Peter Chung's artwork than anything else. Its not surprising really when the planning meetings for the series revolve around: "We got 5-15 minutes of animation, how are we going to off the b**** this time? Anything we could add that to creep people out that makes no sense?"

Wasted opportunities? High potential source material? Please tell me you are joking. Tank girl and Aeon Flux are the embodiment of everthing that was wrong with animation and comics in the 90s. Pointless ultra violence favoring style over anything remotely substance.

Tank Girl? Keep true to the source material and I doubt anybody could sit through 1 hour and 20 minutes of stuffed toy Koala's getting sodomized, random penis drawings hidden everywhere, random human-mutant kangaroo sex, idiotic drug use and stupid plots a 4 year old could come up with. There are websites that exist if I wanted to see any of that crap.

Aeon Flux? What plot? All we got was som chick in bondage gear doing a half assed job supposedly fighting some vague guerilla war. The whole series is best remembered for Peter Chung's artwork than anything else. Its not surprising really when the planning meetings for the series revolve around: "We got 5-15 minutes of animation, how are we going to off the b**** this time? Anything we could add that to creep people out that makes no sense?"

Mining source material that is all about style and attitude for full-feature plot lines is missing the point. Do you listen to rock music for the lyrics alone?

Mining source material that is all about style and attitude for full-feature plot lines is missing the point. Do you listen to rock music for the lyrics alone?

So much for wasted opportunities and high potential source material huh? Style and attitude with no substance does not a good movie make. I think the people who made Tank Girl did the best they could from a crappy source. I remember the comics creators bitching that they didn't film key scenes, and they were forced to animate them. Too bad the animation added jack to the film and often made no sense. Its also the comic guys fault the mag they were published in went belly up after they pressed them hard to invest in the film.

And no I don't listen to rock music just for the lyrics, but it does help. Still if the Tank Girl comic were a rock song it would be a drum solo by a masturbating spider monkey. :p

Maybe we go to the cinema for different reasons.

When I watch a Guy Ritchie film or even the latest Bond, it's not really important which absurd contrivance they're selling as a story this time, but the magic lies in the in-movie universe, the style, the interaction of the cool dudes in a world of mindless violence.

There, Tank Girl & Flux had the potential, colorful universes and vivid characters, a goldmine for talented screen writers and directors. The Flux movie even had the looks and a plot that would have worked in the hands of the right people.

Well, both franchises ended up with untalented directors, under inspired actors and just the right studio interference to finish them off for good.

In Martin's own words:

The wheels of the Hollywood machine had been set in motion and the age-old ritual of wringing the life out of an original idea had begun; slowly and surely Tank Girl was inspected, dissected, watered-down, filtered, rewritten, test-screened, focus-grouped and royally buggered by any stray suit who had an opinion.

Considering the recent devolution, a remake is inevitable anyway.

Nah. Gonna stay faithful to the original here. In the original, the company was more cynical than the evil version that seems to be presented in the remake. I believe that cynicism more accurately reflects the true corporate attitude, then and now.

Running at 30mph? Robo-Cycle? Rumors of transforming parts? A “human” robocop?

I think this is the Inspector Gadget movie we’ve all been waiting for!! :D

The more I hear about this movie, the less it sounds like "Robocop" and more like Iron Man (suit) meets Inspector Gadet (features), crossed with Judge Dredd (cycle).

Here's hoping a proper trailer proves me wrong... :/

Edited by OmegaD3k

I like the original RC design. Pretty timeless, they could do a remake and leave the design pretty much alone. Same for ED209

Still waiting for this film.....

The original robocop design is terrible, and cannot in any way shape or form be taken seriously even in the context of the 80's.