Guest davidwhangchoi

In the 1987 version, Old Detroit's state of decay... [snip] economic ruin was the perfect background,

i think that's Detroit's economy today...

i have to wait till next week to see it as my area got it by snow today and i have to work on the weekend.

Current city of Detroit resident here. Certainly a lot of economic issues, but nowhere near the original RoboCop level of depression.

Re: the remake the story of why Omnicorp has created RoboCop

has zero to do with the city but whether the quest to penetrate the American market for selling their ED-209, ED-208 and other militaristic robot products

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Current city of Detroit resident here. Certainly a lot of economic issues, but nowhere near the original RoboCop level of depression.

-b.

yeah, sorry bout that. i was just messing around. i used to go by Detroit when i lived in Holland and Ann harbor for a bit. My friend and i were about to invest in some real estate and renovate together in Detroit a while back.

Robocop sort of reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 4 for some reason...

i got the similar feedback as what i am reading on this thread about the reboot when walking into gamestop the other day. a guy just came from watching it said it can't hold a candle and don't compare it to the original or you will not be happy. but a decent action movie. He put it a step above Green Arrow. So i guess that's positive.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

All good! I'd love to buy some property downtown (an old building to convert into a loft would be so wonderful) but real estate prices in that area are already climbing.

I don't watch Green Arrow on TV and I've still yet to see Green Lantern but my impression of both is that they aren't/weren't very good. My gut is that this remake is better than both, but for sure if one compares it to the original they will most likely be disappointed. Standing on it's own it's a decent enough action flick that has it's highs and lows.

One thing I really did like was how fluid this incarnation of RoboCop moved. It always nagged me just how robotic Peter Weller carried on.

-b.

One thing I really did like was how fluid this incarnation of RoboCop moved. It always nagged me just how robotic Peter Weller carried on.

-b.

Well that's what made RoboCop what he is. Weller's months of training with a mime artist gave the character the intended robotic look and feel, as he was a dead person in a robot body slowly rediscovering his humanity. This new version, on the other hand, is just a guy in a suit, which kinda defeats the whole point of calling him RoboCop.

Also, he was presumably the world's first cyborg. It's like inventing the worlds first modem and expecting a gigabit connection. Both Robo and ED-209 in the original had obvious limitations for what they were. What they lacked in finesse was made up by brute force.

Robocop sort of reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 4 for some reason...

My thoughts exactly. Haven't watched the movie yet, but that scene in the trailer where he fights his way into the building and takes one several ED-209's really reminded me of the cutscene where Raiden fights those GEKKO's in the Middle East.

Saw it as well. Sorta my lonely movie day. It wasn't bad, I think it could of been better. But all in all it was not bad. I AM scared of seeing it again because I might not like it as much the second time. At least the movie only cost me 3 bucks.

Saw the Robocop remake yesterday alone as the wife isn't a sci-fi fan, lol. Anyways, the film had a great cast, action and well directed plus its thought provoking but lacked the R-rated soul of the original. The more I think about it the more I like the reboot and I can look past the missing R-rated gore as young boys and girls should see this film. So yes, I will buy it for a dollar!

Edited by TangledThorns

Referring to Peter Weller's "robotic" movements, the original intention, and Weller's original training, were to give Robocop cat-like movements. Then the suit arrived and all that training was for naught. Mr. Weller couldn't move in it very well, and they almost thought the filming would have to shut down and the movie wouldn't get made. However, Mr. Weller's mime and movement trainer came up with the more robotic movement idea and essentially saved the film. There are a number of Peter Weller interviews on Youtube where he talks about behind the scenes stuff. He's a pretty passionate guy when he's onstage talking about film or history.

Saw it this afternoon. I don't think it's on the level that the first one is. It's not as subtle. The original is, on the surface, about a guy who becomes a cyborg who struggles to find his humanity, and the social commentary is an undercurrent of satire. The remake's social commentary is much more overt. However, the remake was actually quite good. Although I feel that the original's themes are as true today as they were in the '80s, I feel like they took the opportunity to examine other, new issues that maybe people hadn't thought of in 1987, but are or could be issues in the very near future. By doing so, I think they were able to present a movie that's fresh on its own without being slavish to nor a total departure from the original.

Saw it this afternoon. I don't think it's on the level that the first one is. It's not as subtle. The original is, on the surface, about a guy who becomes a cyborg who struggles to find his humanity, and the social commentary is an undercurrent of satire. The remake's social commentary is much more overt. However, the remake was actually quite good. Although I feel that the original's themes are as true today as they were in the '80s, I feel like they took the opportunity to examine other, new issues that maybe people hadn't thought of in 1987, but are or could be issues in the very near future. By doing so, I think they were able to present a movie that's fresh on its own without being slavish to nor a total departure from the original.

The original Robocop's theme was 'the future of law enforcement.' Interestingly the new Robocop has a better grasp on that theme when it comes to drones and surveillance. Pretty scary stuff if you value civil liberties. I doubt we'll see anything like a Robocop in our lifetime but what we saw in the Tehran scene may not be far that off.

I know I may come off like I'm trolling but are we talking about the same original Robocop? I mean I like it and all as a cheesy 80s movie but I'm hearing stuff like the original was subtle in its message, Thought provoking, Deep etc. Don't get me wrong I like it but I can never consider it a thought provoking or ground breaking movie. I mean the movie is so in your face about corrupt government and business considering money more valuable than humans lives are so in your face insane that I could never consider it subtle. One of the first scenes in the movie is the 209 blasting some business man out the window and most of the boardroom people just kinda go "oh well next order of business", And the Commercials in Robocop are as subtle as the SImpsons or Family guy on "American" consumerism.

Like I said I like robocop for what it is, a pretty good 80's sci-fi flick, but in a movie with messages as in your face as it was and stuff like robocop shooting off dicks and such hilariously 1-dimensional bad guys I can never consider it subtle thought provoking or deep.

With all the said I have not seen the new remake and maybe it is awful and can't hold a candle to the original but, not here mind you, but I've heard it's just as bad as the Total Recall remake which IMO was one of the worst remakes ever as a remake and as a stand alone film.

Then again this is the internet where nothing can be enjoyed without trashing it. :S

I'll wait for the blu-ray with all that said.

It is called nostalgia!

sponge_bob-rainbow-wallpaper.jpg

I will be going back to my troll den soon. ^_^

I guess they could have delivered the message in the original Robocop directly by speaking it out to you. There are movies that do this and some, like Robocop, let the audience to the guessing. So by this standards someone could argue that the message in Robocop is subtle. :)

I haven't seen the movie yet, but for those that have: Why does he still have an arm? That short sequence of "Lose the arm!" in the original really hit home on how OCP viewed human life. It would be pretty sad if they kept the arm for the remake, which would be a pretty big contrast given how the original had a specific scene discussing on losing the arm...

Edited by Akilae

I haven't seen the movie yet, but for those that have: Why does he still have an arm? That short sequence of "Lose the arm!" in the original really hit home on how OCP viewed human life. It would be pretty sad if they kept the arm for the remake, which would be a pretty big contrast given how the original had a specific scene discussing on losing the arm...

After you see it, I doubt the arm will bother you much at all.

Such a boring, plodding, uninspiring and lifeless movie that had only brief punctuations of action to break up the tear-inducing monotony. The original movie was a dystopian yet tongue-in-cheek story with tradgedy, humor and enough action to keep things moving. Did the remake even have a readily discernible villain? A hero movie like "Robocop" should have at least one, but this time it was just a bunch of nameless robots and some guys fresh from the set of Sons of Anarchy. Again, some things are better left alone, especially if it's from the 80's...

Edited by myk

Such a boring, plodding, uninspiring and lifeless movie that had only brief punctuations of action to break up the tear-inducing monotony. The original movie was a dystopian yet tongue-in-cheek story with tradgedy, humor and enough action to keep things moving. Did the remake even have a readily discernible villain? A hero movie like "Robocop" should have at least one, but this time it was just a bunch of nameless robots and some guys fresh from the set of Sons of Anarchy. Again, some things are better left alone, especially if it's from the 80's...

Fully agree with you.

I like the original a lot. I have zero expectation when I go into the cinema. Yet I'm so disappointed despite having zero expectation from the new movie. The only thing that was better than the original, was the CGI. And sadly, that's the problem of most Hollywood movies.

Oddly enough, I enjoyed the fact that there was no central villain. The first movie was almost too blunt in its "these are the BAD GUYS". OCP was evil, Boddiker was evil, the Gang was evil... In this one, there is no one eeeeeevil guy, instead a bunch of people all taking small evil steps and ends up becoming something really vile.

I take that as more a swipe at modern consumerism and corperate culture, and less about having a definite Bad Guy to fight against.

I was bored for most of the film.

It was rather soulless and bland.. which is ironic considering the material.

I think the point of the first film just swooshed over the heads of the creators.

It was like they were trying to make a buddy cop film and forgot about it, and threw in some scenes from a rejected super-hero film.

Forgettable and lame.

It looked cool I guess.

Referring to Peter Weller's "robotic" movements, the original intention, and Weller's original training, were to give Robocop cat-like movements. Then the suit arrived and all that training was for naught. Mr. Weller couldn't move in it very well, and they almost thought the filming would have to shut down and the movie wouldn't get made. However, Mr. Weller's mime and movement trainer came up with the more robotic movement idea and essentially saved the film. There are a number of Peter Weller interviews on Youtube where he talks about behind the scenes stuff. He's a pretty passionate guy when he's onstage talking about film or history.

Tell me about it. Here he is as one of the presenters on a doco on Persian History. WHAT A LEGEND!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgCEiUivzXQ

• 2 months later...

Just downloaded this movie today and wow, it really misses the point. Whereas the original was a witty satire packaged in a sci-fi action film, the new one is just a generic sci-fi action film with bland characters and a boring storyline. It tries too hard to incorporate current political issues such as homeland security, but all of that gets lost halfway. The new guy playing Murphy has no stage presence and he spends most of the time whining about not being a human anymore. The sheer lack of an arch-nemesis also kills this film big-time.

And a tazer gun? Really?

Cool, is the torrent available already? I wasn't going to pay any money to see this film, but if I'm bored this weekend, I might download it.

Watching this thread now. Discussion of Illegally obtaining content of commercially available or soon too be available content will be shut down. MW isn't going to be shutdown because of Robocop.

You have 5 seconds to comply.

Watching this thread now. Discussion of Illegally obtaining content of commercially available or soon too be available content will be shut down. MW isn't going to be shutdown because of Robocop.

You have 5 seconds to comply.

Yeah! How else will I pay for my Valkyries if you guys all torrent our work? :rolleyes:

RoboCop agrees;

post-357-0-88563600-1399002299_thumb.jpg

I'm gonna buy the Blu-ray because buying stuff is one of my addictions.

-b.