What's on your nightstand?

Ghost Train

I tend to finish a book before moving on to another. The exception was Lord of the Rings. I took a break in the middle to read the 5th Harry Potter book.

But I am listening to Stephen King's Dark Tower audio books while I am at work. I read all 7 books and loved them. I also have Naomi Novik's "His Majesties Dragon" series. Gotta love the Napoleonic wars with dragons.

But I am listening to Stephen King's Dark Tower audio books while I am at work. I read all 7 books and loved them. I also have Naomi Novik's "His Majesties Dragon" series. Gotta love the Napoleonic wars with dragons.

I've had a love / hate relationship with Dark Tower. The final book was being written when I first read the Gun Slinger. It was released by the time I finished The Waste Lands - at which point I was completely hooked. I fought very very very very hard the urge to read spoilers on what happens at the end of the saga, but broke, and found out about what seemed to me like a complete cop-out ending :D . I took a long break but decided to finish the series anyways, and finished Wizard & Glass.

After having finished Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age (great reading: I strongly recommend this one!), I'm rereading Tomino's First Gundam novel between a bunch of more or less recent comics from all continents.

[...]

Pile of Giant Robot magazines

Which mags? :)

A small lamp, a box of tissues, a wireless mouse, charger for my Incredible, charger for my iPad, and the iPad itself. Not reading any books right now, but my iPad is loaded with comic books.

Magazines don't go on the nightstand; they go in the bathroom. CPU, and Popular Science.

Hm... let's see:

• My Zune HD
  • A Thousand Sons (by Graham McNeill)
  • Prospero Burns (by Dan Abnett)
  • Last month's issue of White Dwarf (Skaven battle report & Dark Eldar tactics)
  • My girlfriend's copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
  • a battered old alarm clock

Edited by Seto Kaiba

John Adams is on the nightstand.

In Death Ground is on the downstairs reading stand (currently reading that one) along with book 4+ of the Sword of Truth series (on the backburner for now), along with the second trilogy of books that began with "Semper: Mars" (still need to get books 2 and 3 in the first trilogy), "Circuit: Breaker" and "Final Circuit", the 4th Temeraire book (about Australia, can't remember the title - just finished that one), "1612 - or 13 or 14, forget exactly" on the Nook, and a bunch of other paperbacks I got from the free library at work that I have yet to read...

• Pen and paper: in case I wake up with an idea for the current article I'm working on.
  • Mobile phone which doubles as my alarm clock
  • "Kafka on the Shore" by Murakami
  • "Unseen Academicals" by Pratchett

Right now?

iPhone 4

S&W 3913 in paddle holster, 2 spare mags

Swiss Army Tinker

SOG Vulcan

Surefire Z2 Combat light

Wallet

2 quarters

bottle of water

Blueberry Clif Bar

I don't normally leave anything on there though, except the flashlight and phone.

I don't have a nightstand either, but piled up next to my futon, I've got...

Don Quixote - Miguel Cervantes (Edith Grossman translation)

The Story of the Stone, Vol. 2 - Cao Xueqin

The City of Dreaming Books - Walter Moers [haven't started this one yet]

Misa Hayase - White Reminiscences - Hiroshi Ohnogi

Super Dimension Fortress Macross Vol. I - Toshiki Inoue

The Five Star Stories Vol. I - Mamoru Nagano

The most recent 6 or 7 issues. It's a pop culture/art magazine called "Giant Robot". :)

Something to do with mechas, or its founders just thought it was a cool name?