Advice for display stands

Nicaragua

Im looking at getting some display stands for my 1/60 Yamatos and was wondering what everyone thought was the best solution. At the moment Ive just got the rather clunky (but very stable) stand that came with my SV-51.

Flightpose

or

Yamato mighty block

or

This other Yamato stand - http://www.hkcollectibles.com/img/p/6892-1207-large.jpg

Any advice is most appreciated.

Edited by Nicaragua

Flightpose is the way to go. The Yamato stands are either too expensive or, in the case with the cheap ones, require some serious modification for use with anything larger than a naked 1/60 VF-1.

Note I would be the FP-PAK which gives you all 3 sizes. I like to do this so I can swap the differant sized rodes between the 3 to get more "extreme";) poses. Just be carefull not to over tighten as you can crack the acrylic base.

Edited by logos

Regarding the flightpose stands: Some people have been reporting the silicone tips are unstable and either exude a residue or cause paint apps to peel off after prolonged contact. I haven't had this experience and my guess is that it was a bad batch somewhere but be careful nonetheless.

Regarding the flightpose stands: Some people have been reporting the silicone tips are unstable and either exude a residue or cause paint apps to peel off after prolonged contact. I haven't had this experience and my guess is that it was a bad batch somewhere but be careful nonetheless.

Yeah i read about that in another thread, from what i gather though it only affects the paint on metal parts. I only have 1 VF-1 with metal legs and all the rest of my valks are plastic Macross Plus & Macross Zero ones so i should be able to get away with it.

One other thing to be aware of with flightpose stands is that if you over-tighten the screws that hold the whole thing together, you can end up cracking the acrylic disk that holds the arms in place. The difference between "not tight enough to hold up heavier Valks" and "tight enough to break the thing" is very little.

I don't know how much modification would be involved, but I also remember someone saying that it's fairly easy to modify the Bandai Action Base stands for use with smaller valks, though I might not trust even using fast packs on a 1/60 VF-1. But at about $8 a piece before shipping, you really can't go wrong grabbing one to experiment with.

If I remember right, the existing stand connector is roughly the same size and shape as the square attachment prong on the Yamato stand adapters, so adding some type of extension sleeve to the tip, or modifying the adapters, might let them connect pretty securely. I bought 5 of the things for my VF-25 kits, so I might try modding one to work. I might even just screw a fighter mode adapter for a VF-1 directly to the tip of one. For battroid though, I think someone might have actually gotten one of the standard Gundam figure adapters to clip decently to the hip bar on a VF-1.

Honestly though, I've always wished they could come up with something better than all the adapters for mounting valks. I've got a long history of adapting model aircraft meant for ground display to flight displays, and building stands to support them in various ways, but it usually involves drilling holes and mounting stand adapters internally... which I'm sure Yamato could do if they tried to.

While I do think the flight pose stands are a nice little piece of engineering, ehh.. they just don't sit well with me. I've never liked "cradle" type stands, where the aircraft is just resting on something, and not firmly attached by some shaft or hook.

Funny...for all their absolute fuglyness, I do think that is one thing the revoltech variable valks got right: a single stand with multiple integrated attachment points for multiple modes (or at least that's what it looked like, I could be wrong).

I'd say just going by availability and price, the flightpose stands are really the only option.

The mighty block stands are either discontinued or out of stock on every site I've checked.

The launch arm stand seems to go out of stock pretty quickly though I see that HLJ is taking preorders for a "Feb restock". Although ¥3315 is pretty expensive for a stand.

However, I'm one of those who have had the paint or clear coat melted/eaten away by the clear tips of the flightpose stands so I'm fairly wary about buying more of them.

HLJ already has stocks of the Yamato Display Stands(Launch Arm) now. Bought 2 of them and now waiting for shipping cost.

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00033

Was seriously thinking of getting the flighpose but got chickened out of it because of the reports of paint chipping.

Off Topic: ae_productions, nice collection you got there. I wish I had more moolah so I can buy more valks. As of now, I can only buy them when HLJ or Amiami has them on 50% discounts ahaha.

I got the yammie "mighty block" thingy. Other than fighter-mode, I haven't tried any of the other modes yet on it.

They are a bit cheeky and need some minor balancing schemes.

I reckon it'll need some minor modifications and/or tightening up for the more exotic poses. I haven't done any mods on it, yet. Still stock stuff since I'm a bit lazy. :lol::p

Anyways, it's ok enough for me and I'm still waiting for a good sale and exchange-rate on the Yammie Launch-Arms.

Oh, here be me pics...

edit: forgot to mention that I don't think it can handle any valk other than the VF-1 1/60 v2. I'm tempted to try my Nora on it, but the yammie-block is just way too small and way too short/low for it.

edit2: added battroid-mode pics using yammie-block...

post-263-129774723606_thumb.jpg

post-263-129774724762_thumb.jpg

post-263-129774725678_thumb.jpg

post-263-129775304474_thumb.jpg

post-263-12977530531_thumb.jpg

post-263-129775306174_thumb.jpg

Edited by treatment

There are a couple of comments saying that the mighty block stand wont hold anything heavier than a VF-1 and I was just wondering why? My VF-1 Max is pretty heavy due to its solid metal legs whereas something like a YF-19 or Sv-51 is mostly plastic and feel a lot lighter.

Is it something to do with the base being too small or is the arm too weak, or is it more to do with the centre of gravity on the larger 1/60’s ?

There are a couple of comments saying that the mighty block stand wont hold anything heavier than a VF-1 and I was just wondering why? My VF-1 Max is pretty heavy due to its solid metal legs whereas something like a YF-19 or Sv-51 is mostly plastic and feel a lot lighter.

Is it something to do with the base being too small or is the arm too weak, or is it more to do with the centre of gravity on the larger 1/60’s ?

I'll try to take and post a pic of the Nora-fighter (full-load) on the yammie-block tonite. I think I can pose her in horizontal fighter-mode, but that's about it. She's just way too long and too tall for the yammie-block in gerwalk and battroid modes.

My YF-19's in storage and will only get taken out when I finally get the FP for it.

My old "metal-legged" 1/60 and 1/72 valks are likewise in storage and i'm really not that motivated to break them out again. I'm not even sure the adaptors are even usable on 'em.

I'd say just going by availability and price, the flightpose stands are really the only option.

The mighty block stands are either discontinued or out of stock on every site I've checked.

The launch arm stand seems to go out of stock pretty quickly though I see that HLJ is taking preorders for a "Feb restock". Although ¥3315 is pretty expensive for a stand.

However, I'm one of those who have had the paint or clear coat melted/eaten away by the clear tips of the flightpose stands so I'm fairly wary about buying more of them.

Didn't expect the flightpose stands would cause the paint problem issue. Haven't bought any stands yet but after reading this i'm having second thoughts about buying this stand. The Launch arm is definitely expensive as well. I guess i'll just have to wait for a better sale.

Welp! Sorry, dude. the yammie-block don't seem to have any adaptor for my Nora. So unless somebody knows better about it, I'll just post a Nora/Hikaru comparo-pic for you (with bonus Roy vf-1 gerwalk-pics) :lol: :

edit: i'll try to get my Roy-Zero out maybe tomorrow or the weekend. I believe the adaptor there will work on the yammie-block. or not. :p

post-263-129791060285_thumb.jpg

post-263-129791061212_thumb.jpg

post-263-12979106204_thumb.jpg

Edited by treatment

Welp! Sorry, dude. the yammie-block don't seem to have any adaptor for my Nora. So unless somebody knows better about it, I'll just post a Nora/Hikaru comparo-pic for you (with bonus Roy vf-1 gerwalk-pics) :lol: :

edit: i'll try to get my Roy-Zero out maybe tomorrow or the weekend. I believe the adaptor there will work on the yammie-block. or not. :p

thanks for that, most appreciated !

When you say that the SV-51 dosnt have an adaptor for the mighty block - isnt it the same adaptor that fits on the black stand that comes with the SV-51 ? I thought all the various adaptors had the same octagon style peg socket,or does the mighty block not use that octagon peg on the end ?

Thanks to everyone who has posted pictures of their valks on the different stands.

Edited by Nicaragua

thanks for that, most appreciated !

When you say that the SV-51 dosnt have an adaptor for the mighty block - isnt it the same adaptor that fits on the black stand that comes with the SV-51 ? I thought all the various adaptors had the same octagon style peg socket,or does the mighty block not use that octagon peg on the end ?

Thanks to everyone who has posted pictures of their valks on the different stands.

The Yammie-block requires a male-type adaptor for connection, but the SV-51's a female-type. Iirc, the YF-21's have the same stand.

Afaik, only the VF1-v2, VF0, and YF-19 have male-type adaptors.

Actually, the YF-21/VF-22 is an oddball. I can't confirm this myself since I don't have any of the other stands, but I think the fighter/gerwalk adapter for the YF-21/VF-22 actually has the proper attachment points for either the included stand or the mighty-block type.

But aside from the YF-21/VF-22 and SV-51, I don't think any of the other valks or adapters are compatible with that style of stand. It's a shame really, those things are rock solid. Considering I've got 3 of them, I might try and modify some of my other stand adapters to attach to those stands.. but anything as small as a VF-1 would look tiny on such a huge pedestal.

It's the version 2 VF-1 not the original in 1/60.

The problem with the might blocks stand is that the pin connector on the arm is a friction connector and not ratcheted. There is not enough friction to hold heavier valks well. That being said if you modify them with nail polish or plastic cement you can get it good enough to work.

Now THAT is a collection! Is this all of them...or do you have another stash at home? ;)

Check the collections thread I have allot more now since taking these pics.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=34339&st=120

Edited by logos

I've been looking at stand too, I need three or four but I'm not gonna pay the high prices for the Yamato ones. I found some of those Bandai Action Stands on Ebay for around $8 each and I'll see if I can mode them to work. If not I can always use them for something else.

I've been looking at stand too, I need three or four but I'm not gonna pay the high prices for the Yamato ones. I found some of those Bandai Action Stands on Ebay for around $8 each and I'll see if I can mode them to work. If not I can always use them for something else.

awhile ago, i tried to use the bandai action stands for yamato 1/48's... here's my original post:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=24975&st=0&p=557662&hl=bandai%20stand&fromsearch=1entry557662

I only ended up using it for awhile with one of my valks but still think Flexis or flightpose stands are the best display stand out there for the value.

I do however use the bandai stands for my Lego TIE fighters though. Pretty awesome looking there.. =]

DSC_0054.jpg

Thanks a lot! That's just what I needed, like I said there only $8 each so if they don't work then I'll spend more and get the flightpose ones. Honestly I was just looking for plain black stands that will somewhat match the stands that came with the Aoshima Treads and the DV VF-25 I plan on buying. Nothing fancy just something that won't look too out of place but still kinda match the other black stands, dumb I know but I do want to keep a somewhat uniform look to my collection.

I was checking them Bandai-stands before to use for my MGs, but I thought they were flimsy as heck for the valks.

As light as my vf1-v2s are, I'm really not sure I want to further risk them with those stands. :unsure:

Tho maybe they'll be good for Bandai's valks...

I was checking them Bandai-stands before to use for my MGs, but I thought they were flimsy as heck for the valks.

As light as my vf1-v2s are, I'm really not sure I want to further risk them with those stands. :unsure:

Tho maybe they'll be good for Bandai's valks...

Yeah that's what I'm worried about too, I'm just gonna use them for my VF-1's and not any of the larger ones but I have a feeling that I'm gonna be using crazy glue to make sure stuff stays in place. But it's gotta be better that what I'm useing now, I have one Valk balancing on the stand that came with my Yamato Danguard Ace. I have to leave the room to sneeze or fart for fear of knocking it off the stand :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Received my stands a couple days ago, there pretty good alternatives if you don't want to spend a lot. I do highly recommend using crazy glue just to keep things in place and the only mods I did was trim the "saddle" arms so the fighter sits lower in it so the "arms" rest against the fighter and the gun sits on the bottom of the "saddle". Here's a couple quick pics and again sorry for the bad photos.

post-5693-0-64168000-1299622338_thumb.jpg

post-5693-0-66427300-1299622347_thumb.jpg

i was able to that also, using bandai action stands..but my approach was different from mr. chen, i use the original clip for the head of yamato, cut and sanded it down then superglued it to bandai's clamp. (sadly, i cannot use the head clip anymore if i have the budget for mighty blocks)

vf1sko001.jpg

vf1sko002.jpg

vf1sko003.jpg

stable if you dont put it near an electric fan :p

i also did this custom stand.. using an external CD-ROM base..paint it to DYRL holster style

basejet7+010.jpg

basejet7+010.jpg

cd_stand+008.jpg

cd_stand+007.jpg

cd_stand+002.jpg

or you could be imaginative by putting a glue gun (for temporary adhesion, and no damage to sticker/plastic)

IMG_8042.jpg

IMG_8040.jpg

IMG_8044.jpg

IMG_8039.jpg

Edited by JET7

i was able to that also, using bandai action stands..but my approach was different from mr. chen, i use the original clip for the head of yamato, cut and sanded it down then superglued it to bandai's clamp. (sadly, i cannot use the head clip anymore if i have the budget for mighty blocks)

I was thinking about doing that also but I figured if Yamato's stands ever went on sale or something I didn't want mod them to much. Still these are cheap alternatives and if you have some left over stickers can look pretty good.

Well, had Roy's Zero-S on the yammie-block for awhile now and it's holding up rather well even tho Zero's rather a bit heavy actually (compared to my other valks).

Still, I'm a little leery of the peg-socket sliding to the side on its own coz of Zero's weight, so I'll prolly replace him onto my Yammie-Arm when it finally gets here and then put my YF-19 on the yammie-block instead since it's lighter.

As such, I don't have the Ghost to do the add-on, (well, not yet), but I think it'll be interesting to know if the Yammie-Block can actually hold up the Zero+Ghost combo weight.

Nevertheless, here's my Roy-Zero chasing Nora pic. Ever the ladies' man, I say... :lol:

post-263-0-48170800-1299895333_thumb.jpg

Edited by treatment

Hey guys, I have a quick question. Does the Yamato Mighty Block Stand #2 allow you to suspend or hoist action figures up into the air, or do you have to have a yamato mighty block stand number 1 to do that? I don't know, because all the pictures I have seen just show the #2 stand as a flat raised platform....

• 2 weeks later...

welp!

Here goes my current valks using their stands to give you more ideas.

fwiw, the Yammie-block can actually support the weighty Roy-0S with the Ghost booster with not much of an issue. I just prefer it hoisted up on the Yammie-arm.

just hope Yamato-Toys bring back the Yammie-blocks. To me, they're good enough for valkyrie/fighter-modes even tho they're damn relatively cheap.

for now, however, the rather expensive Yammie-arm is the only one available on sale. I think the flightpose-stands are a bit much cooler, tho.

Bummer I don't have a 21, yet, to test on the yammie-block. My Milia-22s is still in transit, but I don't think it supports the yf-19/yf-21 armor-foldildo thingy. Hmmm. maybe I'll just unbox my old 1/72 yf-21fp instead. nahh... ;)

post-263-0-85050800-1301182905_thumb.jpg

Edited by treatment

The Yamato "launch arm" stand saved two of my Valkyries during the huge earthquake two weeks ago, they were the only things left standing on my shelves, when everything else either toppled over or dove off onto the ground. :p

I think they were really good investments. ^_^