DYRL VF-1 WIP

danbickell

Ah, that's rather interesting. I didn't realize it was that consistent along all interpretations of the plane.

Speaking of optics, the Macross the First VF-1D had an interesting one. One pilot's optics (lower, if I recall, corresponding to the pilot) has a single large lens, while the upper one (presumably for the WSO/RIO/backseater) has binocular smaller ones. That's one head I'm hoping you'll end up doing. I like it a lot more then the regular VF-1D one. This of course presumes you're going to do the two-seaters one day. :lol:

I really like the Macross The First D head update too. The D head in general has always been a bit of a mystery to me. I don't get why there would be 2 eye units in the first place, when the head can only look one direction at a time, and theoretically would only be controlled by one or the other person. It makes a little more sense if each optic unit was articulated somehow (to provide individual view directions, within a limited arc based on the head position), but the optic units on the other variants are clearly fixed.

I would certainly like to do the 2 seaters, but I will probably do the DYRL VT and VE version first. I don't think I will get around to doing a D until I do a TV version cockpit and nose to base it on.

To me, they went the simple route and just stuck two camera setups together with one feeding each of the pilots. Since in battroid mode the backseater is sitting on top of the pilot, it would serve to give a more accurate picture, I suppose. One of the sketch heads they had for the Macross the First redesign was a VF-1A head with the laser replaced with a second camera in a "mohawk"-type setup. I've already used it on the VT-1C I drew and I'll likely use it on the VEFR-1 as well, whenever I get around to drawing it. I stuck a DYRL cockpit interior in the VF-1D for now until I get a TV one done up. I'm using the excuse of "Well, there probably were upgrades!" for it. :lol:

post-5201-0-87028200-1304281719_thumb.jpg

Edited by Talos

Hey Dan, this has been fun to follow. Long road to haul, huh?

Was curious what you're using for front/rear image planes, as I haven't seen anything that matches up with the :48 Vermillion 1J. Does the DYRL 1S have a front/rear split like the :72s' instr. sheets?

And curious, saw you're using Maya, is this nurbs, poly, sub-d or whatever as needed?

Best luck going forward.

Thanks! Yeah, this one is certainly taking a lot of time. I've mostly made progress in spurts when I've had free time, and I'm busy again at the office these days.

Actually, I don't have any front/rear image planes. I've only had the sides, top, and bottom from the Hasegawa 1/48 J/A kit instructions, and haven't got my hands on the S kit yet. If anybody has the S kit, I would love some scans!

I've played around with the front/rear views from VF-1 Master Files and TIA Macross Plus, just to compare where parts were landing, but that's about it. The vertical space that the arms will occupy is the only real mystery that plans would help with, but I will likely not follow this very precisely from the Hasegawa version anyway (too fighter-centric), and use arm proportions more similar to the Yamato 1/60 V2 (which the Hasegawa 1/48 leg proportions seem to leave plenty of room for).

All the work so far is pure poly. No nurbs, no sub-d. I'm pretty old-school like that, although my recent forays into Zbrush have been making me wish I had taken the sub-d approach. At this point, the existing geometry is so cut-up and complicated that I can't do much else with it. I've gone back to earlier pre-detailed versions to convert to sub-d for Zbrush, but I guess I'm just not good enough with Zbrush yet to get results that I like better. It might be slow going, but I greatly prefer the clean and tidy results I get with old-fashioned poly work, at least inside Maya for renders. I'd have some faceting issues if I wanted to do larger scale 3d printing of this stuff, though, so I'm still trying to explore different options.

Still hoping to to see if the 1S has that particular illustration, so fingers crossed. May not get one for a bit.

I have typically used any/everything to create my DYRL Strike, incl multiple packages (prefer to model in modo these days, but the day job centers around Maya, so I may rig in Maya as I'll probably be doing final surfacing and rendering there too). And now looking into Rhino, possibly going to learn on it by re-working the lower legs, as it and modo play nice.

You've mentioned working hard surface in ZB, too. Frankly, I don't yet see the point; I like the plane control that you can get, and have sen a ton of work incl Iron Man, but I'll stay with ZB for organic for now, and only as I need to.

Ever onward, best of luck going forward.

Thanks! Yeah, this one is certainly taking a lot of time. I've mostly made progress in spurts when I've had free time, and I'm busy again at the office these days.

Ah man, that's a bummer. I'm already super impatient to see your work as it is. Every time you make a post I get pumped. I'm really fascinated by your design decisions.

Sorry, this one has to be slow-roasted to perfection. ;)

Looks like my girlfriend will be out-of-town for a chunk of next week, so I should be able to make some progress between the weekend and the free nights I'll have.

Although, what I'm working on right now isn't all that exciting. I've been refining the cross-section of the panel line cuts on the nose so they are rounded and shade a lot nicer. It's a PITA, but it does look better.

I still need to work out the details on the base of the neck and head transformation parts, and this stuff has to be made-up, unfortunately. There are nice details on some of the DYRL sketches, but they won't actually work with the transformation. I've borrowed the setup from the Yamato 1/60 V2 for this, which positions the head very nicely in fighter and battroid, but the mechanics of it doesn't match any of the lineart. I'll do my best to make it cool...

I'll be tackling the back of the nose section and head cavity as well, based on the details in some of the transformation sketches and the VF-1D detached nose section lineart. Fortunately, that stuff looks like it will match up quite well.

Sorry, this one has to be slow-roasted to perfection. ;)

Looks like my girlfriend will be out-of-town for a chunk of next week, so I should be able to make some progress between the weekend and the free nights I'll have.

Although, what I'm working on right now isn't all that exciting. I've been refining the cross-section of the panel line cuts on the nose so they are rounded and shade a lot nicer. It's a PITA, but it does look better.

I still need to work out the details on the base of the neck and head transformation parts, and this stuff has to be made-up, unfortunately. There are nice details on some of the DYRL sketches, but they won't actually work with the transformation. I've borrowed the setup from the Yamato 1/60 V2 for this, which positions the head very nicely in fighter and battroid, but the mechanics of it doesn't match any of the lineart. I'll do my best to make it cool...

I'll be tackling the back of the nose section and head cavity as well, based on the details in some of the transformation sketches and the VF-1D detached nose section lineart. Fortunately, that stuff looks like it will match up quite well.

Do post some close-ups of whatever you come up with! Mine is a (more mechancially complex) take-off on the 1/60 v2 positioning, but I'm unsatisfied with it, as it seems flimsy and exposes too-large gaps into the chest cavity...

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I want updates too!! :unsure:

Seeing the great work Doktor Gonzo and Aztek have been showing has me really motivated, but I'm just lacking the time for it. I'm very busy at the office these days.

Maybe I can squeeze in some time before the weekend ends... At the very least, I'll try to come up with some new renders.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks guys!

My old computer died, and I replaced it some months ago, but haven't got around to installing Maya yet on the new machine. I've been using Max exclusively at work for the past year, so I just haven't got around to it.

I'll see if I can get Maya installed, or maybe I've got export to a Max-friendly format. The wireframe is indeed quite dense in places. You might be surprised, though. I've been stuck in the mindset of optimized game models for so long that old habits die hard. There isn't a bunch of subdivisions where they aren't needed, like I typically see in most people's high poly work.

Things are getting less busy at the office, so hopefully I should have time to get the VF-1 off the back-burner. I'm certainly in the mood to get back to it!

Ok...

I got Maya re-installed, dusted off the model, and put together some wireframe renders:

vf1_wireframe2.jpg

vf1_wireframe1.jpg

vf1_wireframe3.jpg

vf1_wireframe4.jpg

vf1_wireframe5.jpg

vf1_wireframe6.jpg

Maya is somewhat limited (at least to my knowledge, anyway) when it comes to doing wireframe renders. So, I exported to OBJ and got the model into Max, so see what I could come up with there:

vf1_wireframe8.jpg

VF1_wireframe7.jpg

vf1_wireframe9.jpg

Wow i just started doing the same exact thing a few days ago, I had only intended to make the cockpit though. After seeing this...i dont think i have the will to finish it. Ah well i can always do a diff Valk....anyone have any requests? Pref something classic and something i can find tons of internal line work on.

Wow i just started doing the same exact thing a few days ago, I had only intended to make the cockpit though. After seeing this...i dont think i have the will to finish it. Ah well i can always do a diff Valk....anyone have any requests? Pref something classic and something i can find tons of internal line work on.

Aw, don't get discouraged... make a better one! This is hardly my first time around at the subject. Over the years, the awesome talent here has improved on the subject over and over again, and that just motivates me to give it another shot.

I'd love to see somebody do a definitive version of the TV VF-1 cockpit. It is completely different, much loved, and there is plenty of reference.

I'd love to see both to be sure! I think Valk Cockpits don't get enough luvin by CG artists anyway. They are very detailed and to many artists far less sexy than the many many valk models in cyberspace. I see them as the most challenging of all the projects one can take on in CG...

Edited by Zinjo

Thanks to EXO posting this on the front page, I found it! I'm usually burried in the models page. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME WORKS DAN!!! The timing finding this was great too since I'm scratchbuilding a Valk now. Guess what I'm working on - the nose. So your referances are perfect! I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice that Hase messed up the legs on their 1/72 model.

So what are the primary external differences between the TV and DYRL VF's? I can't find a good comparrison. Thanks again for posting your great work! - MT