Variable Fighter Master File VF-25 Messiah

Tried to pick up a copy yesterday, but because of the public holiday yesterday, it likely won't be hitt ing these shores until today.

One more question, is there a cutaway drawing of the VF-25's gunpod and any mention of ammo capacity.

Graham

One more question, is there a cutaway drawing of the VF-25's gunpod and any mention of ammo capacity.

Yes, and nothing spotted on a cursory glance.

As with previous books in the series, there are a bunch of new weapons - some with familiar names and shapes from earlier books. There are also images of the alternative Super Pack weapon parts - and a missile load for the micro-missile launcher: 90!

I think the most eyebrow raising is the alternative variant: VF-25WR Wyvern-2, a derivative of the VF-25WR Wyvern that appeared in Macross Ace's Mechatronics. Gah! Do we really need a propeller driven VF-25?!

As with previous books in the series, there are a bunch of new weapons - some with familiar names and shapes from earlier books. There are also images of the alternative Super Pack weapon parts - and a missile load for the micro-missile launcher: 90!

Nice! Thanks sketchley, that answers my questions. Now I'm REALLY stoked for my copy to get here. ^_^

I think the most eyebrow raising is the alternative variant: VF-25WR Wyvern-2, a derivative of the VF-25WR Wyvern that appeared in Macross Ace's Mechatronics. Gah! Do we really need a propeller driven VF-25?!

Really? Wild... I've only been getting the Macross the First series separately from Macross Ace. Guess I've been missing out on some interesting stuff.

Nice! Thanks sketchley, that answers my questions. Now I'm REALLY stoked for my copy to get here. ^_^

Really? Wild... I've only been getting the Macross the First series separately from Macross Ace. Guess I've been missing out on some interesting stuff.

I'm looking forward to mine too!

It's more like insane stuff, but I'll fill you in later. That particular one sketchley mentions is a VF-25 with biplane wings and two engines with props added to the regular plane.

Then there's maclone Klan riding a VF-1 that makes the Stampede Valk look sane. 17 UMM missile pods strapped together in three rows between two VF-22/YF-21 engine assemblies and wings, with four VF-11B FAST pack boosters mounted on the wings...

Edited by Talos

Picked up mine at the G/F Japanese magazine shop in Sino Center, Mong Kok, yesterday. They had quite a few just in, for any HK members wondering where to buy it.

Love the artwork, but as others have said, there's hardly anything on the Armored Pack and Tornado Pack. I was surprised that there were a few small, but nice pics of the YF-29.

Surprised the gunpod magazine is drawn so small, given the size of the stock. I'd assumed the magazine was a non-removable you're that took up more space.

Good book, but hope we get a second volume, with more emphasis on the various packs.

Graham

Surprised the gunpod magazine is drawn so small, given the size of the stock. I'd assumed the magazine was a non-removable you're that took up more space.

Me, too.

Though, in thinking about it (note: my opinion based on observation, not something formed from reading the text), I feel that it may just be something to speed the turnaround time when the fighter returns to the ship for rearming. Sure, the smaller magazine size facilitates the capability of mounting spares on the back of the shield (a la the VF-19), but I feel that it's more akin to the quickly exchangeable weapons on the fronts of the dorsal Super Parts and FAST Packs (a la the VF-1).

It's more like insane stuff, but I'll fill you in later. That particular one sketchley mentions is a VF-25 with biplane wings and two engines with props added to the regular plane.

Weird... and they actually covered that in Master File. That's gonna be an interesting section to read.:lol:

Just out of curiosity (since my copy ain't here yet), are they identifying the magazine as removable? Also, how big of a capacity did they give it? That's one thing that's been nagging at me ever since I first saw the VF-25. It's got a fairly slow rate of fire in the show, so even a small magazine should last a while...

I will bet the reason why there's little info. on the fast packs or the armor is they're going to make a VF-25 Space Wing edition with all of that stuff just like they did with the VF-1.

I hope so, I'd love to see an internal view of the Tornado packs, and get an ammo count for its missile launchers. :D

and a missile load for the micro-missile launcher: 90!

But the figure of 90 doesn't tie in with the illustration! If you count the missiles in the drawing, it is far more than 90!

I don't have the book in front of me right now (I'm at work), But IIRC it is either 130 or 180 micro missile per Super Pack.

Graham

Just got my copy a few hours ago (before Talos got his for once!), and I'm surprised to say this book exceeded my (high!) expectations for the VF-25 Master File. I'm particularly pleased with the Super Part variants having art now, and I'm somewhere between amused and bewildered that the Vajra Aggressor made it in there too... :lol:

VFMF VF-25 Messiah contents roundup

Some of the images are dark (a problem consistent with earlier publications in the series). Nevertheless, the conclusion: this book is a MUST have for VF Mechanic Fans.

The book's setting: published in-universe in 2065.05.

Number of pages per section in ():

(12) photo files

(12) development: a bit on the YF-24, most on the "VF-24 Evolution", along with the YF-25, YF-29, and VF-27.

(6) nose block: VFC, cockpit & EX Gear

(1) body

(1) wing

(1) empennage: vertical stabilizers, which also have BLC systems

(2.5) intake/engine nacelles

(0.5) nozzle

(1) vernier thrusters

(1) landing gear

(2) monitor turret/head: VF-25A/G, C, C-II, E, F, S, YF-25, RVF-25

(2) cutaway

(5) control systems: ARIEL II, etc.

(3) EX-Gear

(1) cockpit systems

(1) pilot suits

(1) ISC, electronic systems, stealth systems, FAM (think like RAM)

(3) engines: VF-25's thrust reversers explained!

(1) fuel system

(4) navigation (fold, etc) & radar, etc. systems

(8) weapons and stores: GU-17A, AMM-101, AMM-201 Asp, AMM-111/211/311/LR-SARROW, PaCSW-1G Super High Manoeuvre Missile (ParaCruising Stealth Weapon System), MPBMS (Multi-Purpose Bomb/Mine System), LPP-14A/LPP-14FX (like the VF-19's), MDE, RMS-7)

(4.5) F.A.S.T. Pack

(2.5) Armour

(1) Tornado Pack

(8) VF variations: VF-25A, B/D, C, E, F, G, S, VJ Vajra-Agressor, RVF-25 Mainstay, VRF-25E Recon Messiah, VC-25V VIP Messiah, VEF-25E Warning Messiah, VF-25WR Wyvern-2, VF-25WR Wyvern

(6) GERWALK & Battroid

(6) story: Lost Children

(8) generations of VF: VF-11~17, 19~22, 171+

(8) story: Sword Dancer

(2) caution and modex

(6) squadron markings

The book doesn't have a production block breakdown (the next one? Along with Armour Packs, etc.?), but I belief some numbers can be gleaned from the squadron markings section. If I understand the numbers, it's each block's production number (stressing that the number given is not the last produced in the block).

Production block number in (), production number VF indicated following ():

(3) 201

(4) 001

(5) 801

(6) 1,123

(7) 200

(8) 200

Some others that don't have a block number are:

VF-25C/El: 502

VF-25F/Sg: 211

So... given the range of numbers, one could surmise that the VF-25 is a successful design, as within 6 years of it's introduction, there have been about 3,000 made. Take that VF-19!

Old VF-1 to VF-11's ANGIRAS/Anti Newmann-type Generalize Intergrated Renomarization Aided System change into YVF-24/VF-25/MF-25/YVF-27's ARIEL-II (" II " meanings is " Twins" not as "2", her daughters's thought patterns modelling by mother.

The last century (20C.) called " Fly By Wire " and ( "Reconfigurable Flight Control System" / 再構築可能飛行制御システム).

Inertia Store Converter ( 慣性蓄積変換装置 )

e2ca938f41911f31.gif

Edited by yui1107

@ yui1107:

NO PICTURES of the book. It's JUST been released. Thank you.

Don't think this user understands us or cares to understand us.

And speaking to him/her/it in English, let alone Japanese (which is her/him/its native language) doesn't seem to do any good.

Just got my copy and I'll post some more extensive thoughts once my jaw gets picked off the floor. Much better then I expected the book to be. They've really outdone themselves on this one.

And speaking to him/her/it in English, let alone Japanese (which is her/him/its native language) doesn't seem to do any good.

It's worth a shot. Thus the really short, simple English sentences - in the hopes that either the poster's limited English abilities or a machine translation will result in comprehension.

VFMF VF-25 Messiah contents roundup

The book doesn't have a production block breakdown (the next one? Along with Armour Packs, etc.?), but I belief some numbers can be gleaned from the squadron markings section. If I understand the numbers, it's each block's production number (stressing that the number given is not the last produced in the block).

Production block number in (), production number VF indicated following ():

(3) 201

(4) 001

(5) 801

(6) 1,123

(7) 200

(8) 200

Some others that don't have a block number are:

VF-25C/El: 502

VF-25F/Sg: 211

So... given the range of numbers, one could surmise that the VF-25 is a successful design, as within 6 years of it's introduction, there have been about 3,000 made. Take that VF-19!

Unfortunately, those are just Modex numbers (201, etc), which are something Macross took from real-world US Navy planes. They are assigned based on the squadron and the plane's number in the squadron. For instance, a hypothetical squadron on Battle 7 will have the 1xx series, with 101 being the CO, 100 being the CAG's, and going on from there 101-112 for an example twelve-plane squadron. The second squadron would have 2xx numbers. They don't have any connection with the production numbers since they can be changed easily, especially if any specific airframe changes squadrons. The weird thing about SDF:M to me has always been Roy's reversed CAG plane number (assuming Skull to be the 1xx modex, since a CAG can have a plane in any of the squadrons, always with an x00), 001 instead of 100.

Unfortunately, those are just Modex numbers (201, etc), which are something Macross took from real-world US Navy planes. They are assigned based on the squadron and the plane's number in the squadron. For instance, a hypothetical squadron on Battle 7 will have the 1xx series, with 101 being the CO, 100 being the CAG's, and going on from there 101-112 for an example twelve-plane squadron. The second squadron would have 2xx numbers. They don't have any connection with the production numbers since they can be changed easily, especially if any specific airframe changes squadrons. The weird thing about SDF:M to me has always been Roy's reversed CAG plane number (assuming Skull to be the 1xx modex, since a CAG can have a plane in any of the squadrons, always with an x00), 001 instead of 100.

Crap, after misinterpreting the data and doing all the typing...

... anyhow, I guess the main thing that can be gleaned from those pages are, at least in the context of the VFMF series, the VF-25 has spread quite far beyond the M25 Fleet (one of the fighter variations is apparently stationed at Eden's New Edwards Base).

Crap, after misinterpreting the data and doing all the typing...

... anyhow, I guess the main thing that can be gleaned from those pages are, at least in the context of the VFMF series, the VF-25 has spread quite far beyond the M25 Fleet (one of the fighter variations is apparently stationed at Eden's New Edwards Base).

Yeah, definitely. Though I do imagine that Earth and Special Forces are using VF-24As instead. Perhaps long-nose ones with ISC installed in the same manner of the VF-25. I might have to get drawing on that one.... :lol:

Edited by Talos

Anybody in Toronto interested in buying a second copy of the book from me?

I had pre-ordered it from HLJ, then for some reason my pre-order didn't go through, then I added it again to another order I had coming - now it's been added twice to my order. They'll refund it if I ship it back, but not the shipping charges - argh! The order is shipping, so it'll take a few weeks I assume, its SAL.

So if there's anyone locally in Toronto, I'd like to sell it for what I paid. Let me know.

Anybody in Toronto interested in buying a second copy of the book from me?

I had pre-ordered it from HLJ, then for some reason my pre-order didn't go through, then I added it again to another order I had coming - now it's been added twice to my order. They'll refund it if I ship it back, but not the shipping charges - argh! The order is shipping, so it'll take a few weeks I assume, its SAL.

So if there's anyone locally in Toronto, I'd like to sell it for what I paid. Let me know.

I'll be in Toronto in two weeks for Anime North. Message me with a price, I'll see if I can afford it. :)

Mark

Got my copy yesterday. It's FANTASTIC!!! much better then the last VF-1 edition which was a bit too text heavy for my liking. This book is a great addition to the series!! I wonder what will be next.

Also love the section on the history of the Variable fighters with the pictures of several different types all flying in formation. The VF-171 looked fantastic.

Chris

Yeah, totally. That one was awesome, even if the scheme is a little too-much Blue Angels now and not classic Emerald Force... :lol:

While it's nice to see a Emerald Force VF-25....I'm not fond of the markings. IMO, too much is happening with the black/white markings. I liked the simplicity of the VF-19-variant markings.

While it's nice to see a Emerald Force VF-25....I'm not fond of the markings. IMO, too much is happening with the black/white markings. I liked the simplicity of the VF-19-variant markings.

Maybe it would have been better if they kept the black/white markings in the normal DYRL-type stripe pattern that Alto, Ozma, etc, had on their VF-25s.

Would the VF-25 issue likely be re-issued?

I had the magazine on order with Hobby Link Japan for the last 3 weeks

and now this magazine is "discontinued"!

Dunno... but it's still listed as in stock and shipping within 24 hours at HMV.

Would the VF-25 issue likely be re-issued?

I had the magazine on order with Hobby Link Japan for the last 3 weeks and now this magazine is "discontinued"!

http://www.hlj.com/product/SOF36208

HLJ likes to use "Discontinued" when they run out of stock and don't have an ETA on when they'll get more from their distributor. The book is new and they probably sold out quickly so I doubt it's been discontinued. I'd wait 2-3 weeks. They may get some more in that time.

The VFMF:VF-1 had it's second printing about a month after the initial printing. I've been buying 1st printing thereafter, so cannot confirm if the subsequent 3 have had the same (maybe other members can check?)

I think the VF-1 Vol. 2 also had a second release because I missed out on it's initial release but it came back in stock recently when I finally got it.

Chris

the VF-19 one was also reprinted. that and the VF-1 Space Wing restock are basically just sitting at kinokuniya after the first printing basically flew off the shelves.

VF-25 book just arrived from HLJ. really happy with it. i wish though that they showed pics in a maintenance environment.