Would you buy a 'Macross The First' VF-1J?

Graham

Would you buy a 'Macross the First' version Yamato 1/60 VF-1J?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a 'Macross the First' version Yamato 1/60 VF-1J?

• Yes.
    • No.

How is the canopy changed? Any pics from the manga to support this?

Graham

It isn't super apparent from the first issues. It started as a slightly exaggerated version of one of the minor canopy changes from DYRL (which none of the Yamato toys, or any other model has, with the exception of the Club-M 1/48), and then it became more pronounced in the recent issues.

M_the_first_canopy.jpg

M_the_first_new_canopy.jpg

The new VF-1D also has a similar canopy variation, close to the VT-1 canopy frame, but proportioned more flat like the original VF-1D rather than the taller bubble VT-1 canopy.

The existing Yamato 1/60 V2s all have a hybrid TV/DYRL canopy (rear frame is TV, front frame is DYRL), and nobody seems to notice or care. Even the Hasegawa model kits miss these minor differences, and I think Yamato could get away with leaving the canopy as-is.

Edited by danbickell

Voted yes; like the scheme and the manga heads do look like interesting new takes on the original stuff.

Best part is that if Yamato is toying with the M the First license, we can look forward to a SDF-1 "almost" TV style. The arms of the TV + the detail of the DYRL? = awesome.

Any color pics of the MFirst SDF-1?

Is Mikimoto the one also drawing the VF-1's in Macross the 1st? I ask this because if so, he is doing an AWESOME job! His use of screentone is good.

As far as the cockpit...I wouldn't mind if it wasn't retooled to accept the new canopy.

Also, I'd think this release would be a mass one. Since our input is being taken into account, it's assuming that we would buy it, and most of us willing to buy are not willing to pay up for a proxy service to get one for us in Japan, should this turn out to be an exclusive. Unless it was a Yamato webshop exclusive that is also available via HLJ.com, like the weathered VF's, VF-1S no paint ver., et al.

I hope it's a mass release. It's got a neat paint scheme and I never get tired of VF-1 toys. I've always wondered what Hikaru's VF-1J would look like in Skull Squadron and I like what I see.

Should Yamato decide to make a Macross the 1st VF-1D with a new cockpit, I might buy that too. I'm quite fond of the 2 seaters and their V2 1/60 VF-1D is one of my favorite VF-1 toys.

Graham, there more changes to the 1J than just the head and pilot. Image taken from the Macross ace thread. If Yamato could actually make the changes to the canopy, head ect...and not just repaint ala the VFX, I'd buy it.

Chris

post-265-129647938044_thumb.jpg

hell...why does the lineart scheme look so much better than the wave model? Now I'm definitely going to get a 1st 1J...

Edited by GXPT2000

It isn't super apparent from the first issues. It started as a slightly exaggerated version of one of the minor canopy changes from DYRL (which none of the Yamato toys, or any other model has, with the exception of the Club-M 1/48), and then it became more pronounced in the recent issues.

M_the_first_canopy.jpg

M_the_first_new_canopy.jpg

The new VF-1D also has a similar canopy variation, close to the VT-1 canopy frame, but proportioned more flat like the original VF-1D rather than the taller bubble VT-1 canopy.

The existing Yamato 1/60 V2s all have a hybrid TV/DYRL canopy (rear frame is TV, front frame is DYRL), and nobody seems to notice or care. Even the Hasegawa model kits miss these minor differences, and I think Yamato could get away with leaving the canopy as-is.

How are the toys and models DYRL in the front? I've noticed the difference too, but saw that they where all the "smoth/blended" nose to canopy of the TV Valks vs. the liped DYRL that have the "vents"type that can be seen here.

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrossdyrl/vf-1a-fastpack/vf-1-dyrl-cockpit2.gif

What was different about the movies rear canopy? Never noticed. I mentioned this a while ago in some thread can't remember which but like you said no one seemed to care. sad.gif

Chris

How are the toys and models DYRL in the front? I've noticed the difference too, but saw that they where all the "smoth/blended" nose to canopy of the TV Valks vs. the liped DYRL that have the "vents"type that can be seen here.

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrossdyrl/vf-1a-fastpack/vf-1-dyrl-cockpit2.gif

What was different about the movies rear canopy? Never noticed. I mentioned this a while ago in some thread can't remember which but like you said no one seemed to care. sad.gif

Chris

Here is a new diagram, comparing the TV, DYRL, and The First canopies:

VF1_canopy_variants.jpg

The original TV canopy had square corners in the front, and the glass was flush with the front of the frame.

For DYRL, the front of the frame was has a diagonal angle cutting the corner, on both the inside and outside of the frame (though the outside is not obvious in much of the lineart, with all of the area in front of the frame painted black). The glass was revised to no longer be flush with the front of the frame, leaving a significant lip (outside the glass). There is detail within ths lip on the frame, which could either be a vent, or the attachment point for the heat shield (to allow it to sit flush in battroid mode). In addition to this, the whole shape of the top of the nose gradually becomes flat and squared off towards the front of the canopy frame (rather than being round, like on the TV version).

DYRL also added the small rearward extention at the bottom of the frame, where it angles up towards the rear. The hinge was also revised, with an additional low rearward extention (not the hinge point, perhaps a locking tab). The panel lines, and the round vents rearward of the canopy were revised as well, to fit with the changes (and accomodate a slight re-work of the area behind the canopy, where it meets the chest piece).

DYRL also added more of a bubble shape to the glass (bulging out more at the sides), like an F-16 canopy, allowing for more headroom and better downward visibility, and adding a more modern touch to it.

In Macross The First, the front appears to combine the square outer corners of the TV version with the angled inner corner of DYRL and the DYRL non-flush step from the frame to the glass. Early issues show an exaggerated DYRL rearward extention where the frame angles towards the rear, and later the stepped rear frame rather than the straight angled rear. The hinges appear to be similar to the TV version. The DYRL style bubbled glass is apparent in some drawings as well.

Here are a few quick renders of my DYRL VF-1 3D model (untextured, work in progress) to help show the DYRL canopy details:

DYRL_canopy_model.jpg

DYRL_VF1_nose_ortho.jpg

DYRL_VF1_nose_canopy_open.jpg

Toys and models:

Yamato 1/60 V2 is a hybrid canopy. The front frame has the DYRL inner and outer angles cut in, but the glass is pretty flush with the frame, like the TV version, although squared off a bit like DYRL. The rear is pure TV version. There is also a fair amount of the bubble present in the glass shape.

Yamato 1/48 is much like the 1/60 V2, but the angled front corners are undersized in proportion. The bubble shape is practically nil.

Hasegawa 1/48 is a hybrid as well, despite the 2 options provided. The frames are similar, with the front outer corner angled (but undersized), but the inner front frame has no cut angles. Instead, it is a continuous straight line on the inside, but angled forward a bit (not matching anything from the shows). The rear is TV version.

Club-M 1/48 is pretty close to the DYRL canopy, including a very slight rearward extension at the bottom of the frame, and the lower hinge tabs (inappropriately used as the hinge itself, which doesn't work quite right). It lacks the front step down to the glass (the glass is pretty flush), doesn't square off at the front of the canopy frame, and doesn't have enough of a bubble shape either.

The old Imai 1/72 transforming models, and old Bandai models have correct TV canopies (despite the proportional/shape inaccuracies that are all over those models).

Edited by danbickell

Cool, thanks danbickell, I always noticed the front lip but for some reason never noticed all the other changes that where made. Too bad no acurizing parts were never made for the toys or models. Nice renders too BTW.

Chris

Maybe a dumb question... but are they trying to make Jetfire? :p

I don't mind making the 1J a bit fancier looking, but I think all the tweaks to the older style markings are really overdoing it. The bent stipes on the nose and legs just look bad to me, and the chest piece stripes look hokey that way. I'm all for adding the Skull markings, and giving him black tails, but bleh. I mean.. the old markings actually looked like something you'd find on a real aircraft (specifically, VF-1 Wolfpack markings, plus the upper chest/wing stripes).. this? Not so much.

I might buy it, but kinda doubtful. I'd have to see the toy first. :huh:

If Yamato made it, how many of you would be interested in buying a 'Macross the First' version 1/60 scale V2 VF-1J Hikaru?

Please refer to the attached photos of converted Wave (battroid) and Hasegawa (fighter) kits, to see the color scheme and new head.

Graham

count me out.

as the punk with the boombox said to Ishtar in the MANGA VIDEO english dub of MACROSS II;

"Too Messed Up!!"

I like the new head design, I really like the paint design, I just wonder if there are any other differences in the vf besides the face and makeup. It would be tough to justify getting a new vf just for just those two things. (says the guys that had to have an A, J, and S) Any pics of a redesigned 1S? Or, God forbid, FAST Packs?

I like the new head design, I really like the paint design, I just wonder if there are any other differences in the vf besides the face and makeup. It would be tough to justify getting a new vf just for just those two things. (says the guys that had to have an A, J, and S) Any pics of a redesigned 1S? Or, God forbid, FAST Packs?

Just look a few post up and you'll see the new canopy design.

Chris

• 3 months later...

I think if they put up this same poll for the Minmay Guard Paris or Moon Act Valkyries, I think there'd be a lot more "YES" for a purchase. Maybe Yamato could look into buying the design from Hasegawa? That would be on the top of my list, while this simply isn't. Even worse if it's a Yamato Exclusive. The Yen/dollar ratio makes the exclusives a lot less appealing.

Just my two cents but I most likely would not buy another rehash of a VF-1J if I had one already. One of each piece is good enough for me as long as its noticeably different from other models and this doesn't look that different IMO.

I prefer the movie and TV series renditions any day over this sculpt anyway.

Here is a new diagram, comparing the TV, DYRL, and The First canopies:

The original TV canopy had square corners in the front, and the glass was flush with the front of the frame.

For DYRL, the front of the frame was has a diagonal angle cutting the corner, on both the inside and outside of the frame (though the outside is not obvious in much of the lineart, with all of the area in front of the frame painted black). The glass was revised to no longer be flush with the front of the frame, leaving a significant lip (outside the glass). There is detail within ths lip on the frame, which could either be a vent, or the attachment point for the heat shield (to allow it to sit flush in battroid mode). In addition to this, the whole shape of the top of the nose gradually becomes flat and squared off towards the front of the canopy frame (rather than being round, like on the TV version).

DYRL also added the small rearward extention at the bottom of the frame, where it angles up towards the rear. The hinge was also revised, with an additional low rearward extention (not the hinge point, perhaps a locking tab). The panel lines, and the round vents rearward of the canopy were revised as well, to fit with the changes (and accomodate a slight re-work of the area behind the canopy, where it meets the chest piece).

DYRL also added more of a bubble shape to the glass (bulging out more at the sides), like an F-16 canopy, allowing for more headroom and better downward visibility, and adding a more modern touch to it.

In Macross The First, the front appears to combine the square outer corners of the TV version with the angled inner corner of DYRL and the DYRL non-flush step from the frame to the glass. Early issues show an exaggerated DYRL rearward extention where the frame angles towards the rear, and later the stepped rear frame rather than the straight angled rear. The hinges appear to be similar to the TV version. The DYRL style bubbled glass is apparent in some drawings as well.

Here are a few quick renders of my DYRL VF-1 3D model (untextured, work in progress) to help show the DYRL canopy details:

Toys and models:

Yamato 1/60 V2 is a hybrid canopy. The front frame has the DYRL inner and outer angles cut in, but the glass is pretty flush with the frame, like the TV version, although squared off a bit like DYRL. The rear is pure TV version. There is also a fair amount of the bubble present in the glass shape.

Yamato 1/48 is much like the 1/60 V2, but the angled front corners are undersized in proportion. The bubble shape is practically nil.

Hasegawa 1/48 is a hybrid as well, despite the 2 options provided. The frames are similar, with the front outer corner angled (but undersized), but the inner front frame has no cut angles. Instead, it is a continuous straight line on the inside, but angled forward a bit (not matching anything from the shows). The rear is TV version.

Club-M 1/48 is pretty close to the DYRL canopy, including a very slight rearward extension at the bottom of the frame, and the lower hinge tabs (inappropriately used as the hinge itself, which doesn't work quite right). It lacks the front step down to the glass (the glass is pretty flush), doesn't square off at the front of the canopy frame, and doesn't have enough of a bubble shape either.

The old Imai 1/72 transforming models, and old Bandai models have correct TV canopies (despite the proportional/shape inaccuracies that are all over those models).

Wow, talk about attention to detail. I just looked at some pictures of the Club-M kit and you're right about those changes.....holy cow, I never noticed before. Now that you mention it, the DYRL canopy looks a lot more updated than the TV version, and MTF canopy looks even more updated....thanks for pointing that out, and nice render by the way. Hopefully I can learn about some other differences that are often overlooked.

No. Yamato already milked us with dozens of VF-1's the last 3 years. Its time they gave us some new designs. Or if they fixed the issues with the Macross Zero valks and reissued them, I will go for that. Anything except another VF-1.

I agree with this.

I want to get version 2 vf-0.

Also release a box set of upgrade parts which includes Reactive armor and the ghost booster similar to how they did fold booster and fast packs for the macross plus valks.

If they want to do this VF-1j just sell us a head and people can swap a normal head for that one. lol

I want to get version 2 vf-0.

If only the 1/100 scaled Bandais were more successful maybe we'd see a 1/100 VF-0. lol.

If they want to do this VF-1j just sell us a head and people can swap a normal head for that one. lol

haha. that would defeat the whole purpose of Yamato's intention to milk the mold even further. Plus as said above, the cockpit section has to be redone for accuracy.