VF-11B/C Non Fast pack weapons

hellohikaru

What internal weapons the non fast-pack equipped VF-11s carry beside the gun ? I honestly don't believe it relies sorely on its gunpod and must have some leg mounted launcher. But the people at the RPG boards say only their VF-11G have them.

See thread

http://boards.macrossrpg.com/viewtopic.php...=3716&forum=6&4

Edited by hellohikaru

I'd agree with it that the non fast pack version has nothing but guns. The

VF-11 really just speaks to me "Old Technology", Its really just an upgraded version of the VF-1 when you think about it. But at the time, that was okay because they were good enough to take on Zentradi units, which were the only threat that the UN Spacy had to deal with (that or rebels that used the UN spacy's old equipment.). As I said on another thread all they needed was lots of nukes, Minmay and the VF-11 to mop up the Zentredi mecha. And most of the combat situations was going to be in space anyways. The Zentredi were more interested in eradication than pacification, so you would be facing them in space more likely than in an atmopshere. Even the best special forces fighter at the time, the VF-17 was optimized for space combat. And if they really needed atmospheric punch they also had VF-14, and the VA-3 which could carry missiles and do the heavy damage.

Only by 2035+ did the UN spacy figure out it was being outclassed by enemy mecha (anti-UN powerarmor seen at the beginning of the 1st M+ OAV). They started realizing that in atmopshere combat would be more and more likely. Part of this was the increasing realization that colonies were starting to rebel, and that they may have to use VFs against terrestrial threats. As you noted the VF-17 and VF-11 were not well equipped for that role. That prompted supernova and the completely revolutionary designs of VF-19/21.

The compendium doesn't ever mention a G variant of the VF-11, but i suppose if there was one, it wouldn't be very different than the others.

LOL....

The "G" version is a fan-generated/RPG-generated version of the VF-11. So you can throw it out the window. The VF-11 follows in the line of the VF-1/VF-5000 of multi-purpose fighters. That line allows them to mount mission-specific weapons (usually the normal FAST packs). It was a cheaper alternative to internal weapons-heavy fighters like the VF-4 or the VF-14.

I would also look at April II's Feedback entry.

http://www.anime.net/macross/feedback/index.html

There are no missiles in the legs of regular VF-11, and the VF-1s had fixed wing hardpoints anyways (RMS-1)

Steelfalcon.com is about the last place you want to look for the true stats. Although Dave Deitrich did do a good job he has been proven wrong several times. The compendium IS the bible for this sort if stuff. Read The above link to the macross compendium, and scroll to the absolute bottom. It states the missiles in the leg are a error by animators, and only the MAXL has it. When in doubt the Compendium always is right.

People : DO NOT BELIEVE A WORD FROM RPG SOURCES !

Most if not all of the info contained within Macross RPG games are fictional (i.e. VF-11G).

That said , the VF-11 is suppossed to have internal weapon concealed in the legs based in a rough sketch by Shoji Kawamori but he has said it wasn´t intended to have internal bays , so...no , the Vf-11 doesn´t have internal missile bays.

What I find extremely strange is that the VF-5000 which is supposed to be an older model actually had internal bays in the legs and forearms of Battroid and the newer VF-11 didn´t feature any of this.

That goes to show that the VF-5000 is simply awesome. :lol:

Eh, maybe internal bays are too expensive/maintenance intensive to do for most planes. Maybe VF-5000's had them, but it was found it wasn't worth it, so they were abandoned for the VERY common VF-11. VF-11 is the F-16 of Macross--everywhere doing everything. Needs to be cheap enough to build a million of them. The VF-19 and -22 are like the B-2 and F-117---fewer, special purpose planes that are built in smaller numbers and can thus be full of expensive toys. (Though the VF-19 is more like an F-15E or some such--a large expensive plane trying to do everything, and does it quite well, but it's just expensive enough that we cannot have a million of them, just a fairly decent number to equip a few wings).

I mean, look at modern planes. We've pretty much abandoned the variable intake. F-15 is likely the last plane to have one for quite a while. Simply not worth the weight/expense/maintenance for the F-16/18/22/23/32/35.

Or maybe it's just now that they've improved internal bays, they're good/cheap enough to put them on the VF-19/22. If someone invents some new light-weight simple variable intake, I'm sure the F-37 or whatever will have it, and be Mach 2.5+

Hey, you people that have the VF-11B Yammie, does it look like it has missile bays in the legs?  Because I want my fanfic to be accurate. <_<

Nope. No internal bay in the leg. Just undersized rudders.

Edit: Looking at the VF-11's legs, you could guess that there's an internal bay as there are panel lines on the outside of each leg that could be a bay door... But then, my question is, where would the engine go? I don't think there's alot of extra room in a leg of a VF-11... The vertical stablizer folds up in there as well as the landing gear...

Edited by VF-19

A better question Jelenien is did you read the sources we posted above?

This is why I don't trust Nanashi's "sources". The compendium EXPLAINS why this frame of anime exists. It was an error by the animators, and there is no other explaination. Its like the animation mistake in Macross that HG turned into the YF-1R or something stupid like that. Kawamori says explicitly there is no missile bay, then there is no missile bay. He had a good reason why he didn't want a missile bay to be included on baseline VF-11s, and that is cannon.

This is why I don't trust Nanashi's "sources". The compendium EXPLAINS why this frame of anime exists. It was an error by the animators, and there is no other explaination. Its like the animation mistake in Macross that HG turned into the YF-1R or something stupid like that. Kawamori says explicitly there is no missile bay, then there is no missile bay. He had a good reason why he didn't want a missile bay to be included on baseline VF-11s, and that is cannon.

Yes. I did. He wanted to know the size of the missile bays, which is what that image shows. I said nothing about the officiality of them anywhere in either of my posts.

This is why I don't trust Nanashi's "sources". The compendium EXPLAINS why this frame of anime exists. It was an error by the animators, and there is no other explaination.  Its like the animation mistake in Macross that HG turned into the YF-1R or something stupid like that. Kawamori says explicitly there is no missile bay, then there is no missile bay. He had a good reason why he didn't want a missile bay to be included on baseline VF-11s, and that is cannon.

Yes. I did. He wanted to know the size of the missile bays, which is what that image shows. I said nothing about the officiality of them anywhere in either of my posts.

I should also note that Nanashi doesn't say anything about the officiality of those internal hardpoints either.

Here's a thought: What if the leg bay is normally taken up with a fuel tank, but for special missions it can be swapped out and the resulting cavity can hold weapons. Of course doing that would require you to put some kind of external tank on, but we see precisely that in M7 (the leg FAST packs apear to be nothing more than fuel tanks).

Sorry Jelenien, I thought you were saying that the compendium was wrong and that this picture proved it... which I misunderstood. I didn't mean to be rude about it, and my humblest apologies

Your right Azarel Nanashi does't post anything about the officiality of his sources, But thats the problem, He puts at the top of the page the title, VF-11 leg missiles and leaves it at that. Someone who doesn't know about the issue would take the frame as cannon, which it obviously isn't. Thats been an issue with Nanashi's page for some time. Thats not to say that he doesn't do great work (he does get pictures that are very rare), but its a bit of a bother.

Edited by Noyhauser