Surprised nobody is making some dedicated Kydex belt holsters for the Maverick.

Graham

Graham, since you are in HK, go find a Pantac MP7 holster. They are rigid enough to and large enough to holster a maverick.

Raider is better than the Alpha trooper.

Normal sized dump pouch can carry two drums if you "69" them in the pouch.

Ordered a yellow Raider stock, one more 18rd drum, a 35rd drum and a Stampede 18rd mag from ebay for my Alpha Trooper.

Graham

Graham, since you are in HK, go find a Pantac MP7 holster. They are rigid enough to and large enough to holster a maverick.

Raider is better than the Alpha trooper.

Normal sized dump pouch can carry two drums if you "69" them in the pouch.

Thanks for the holster tip, will check it out. Also been thinking about getting a dump pouch.

Just bought the NERF bandoleer. Thinking about getting a Raider as well, but like the Alpha Trooper for it's compact-ish size.

Can't find the NERF double barreled shotgun in HK.

Graham

Alpha Trooper and Raider is about the same length, so it's not really more compact. I just prefer the Trooper myself because of the vertical mag, compared to the Raider's horizontal. I suspect with a 18 round mag the Raider would handle very similarly, with a better ergononic grip for the pump, which is one of the Trooper's weakness.

Still, with a Raider's stock on the Trooper, it becomes a very good gun.

The Recon really should have had an ambidextrous side-mounted cocking handle as standard, it would have made it a much better NERF blaster.

Graham

Sadly the people on the Nerf team are not that into researching what works in the real firearm world. they just go for the "cool" factor.

I too prefer the ergonomics of the Alphatrooper but find the performance of my Recon to be better. Also I can't integrate a Barrel break as nicely on the Alpha trooper.

Which is the reason I modded my recon with a SCAR/KRISS super V inspired charging handle.

I picked up a Recon a few weeks ago, out of curiosity. There is something awesome about this Nerf stuff. :lol:

I found it pretty cumbersome to operate & the grip felt awkward to me.

Then this happened. :ph34r:

post-2535-0-64870300-1307944189_thumb.jpg

I want to get the Raider next, but the local retailers are making it difficult.

They cost twice as much as they should & there aren't any extra clips available. :(

Ok that is just freaking awesome. I have always wanted a bull pup!!!! You got PM.

Thanks for getting me inspired!!! I must make this!!!!

I call it the Force Recon. :)

The bullpup conversion was done with a pair of transfer bars for the slide & trigger.

post-2535-0-35945700-1308320701_thumb.jpgpost-2535-0-59548600-1308320741_thumb.jpg

Then I gave it a forward carry handle to lock it all into place.

post-2535-0-09709600-1308320805_thumb.jpgpost-2535-0-88252700-1308320862_thumb.jpg

All it needs is some fine-tuning, body work & paint. But I can't put it down long enough to continue working on it. :lol:

Can the Break Barrel IX-2 attach to the Recon's bottom rail without modification, or does it need some modification done first?

Graham

No. You would need to do a lot of modification for that to happen, as both rails on the Barrel Break and the Recon's barrel attachment are positive (not negative like the Dart Tag Strikefire).

Unofficial box art has been revealed for the upcoming Nerf Vortex line. The blasters will be using new foam discs that have a longer range than darts.

Nerf Vortex Box Art Revealed

To be honest I not quite keen on these. It's another ammo type so that's a minus, and in terms of capacity looks like the disc mags are shorter than the usual clip system. Unless the additional range is tremendous, you can't really compete when the opposite side can lay down fire from a 35-rd or even 18-rd drum.

And it looks like you're getting added range only from the ammo type.. the stock from one of them looks to be standard, which means a reverse plunger internals.

No. You would need to do a lot of modification for that to happen, as both rails on the Barrel Break and the Recon's barrel attachment are positive (not negative like the Dart Tag Strikefire).

That's a shame. Was going to look for one, to put under my Recon, but will pass now.

Graham

Unofficial box art has been revealed for the upcoming Nerf Vortex line. The blasters will be using new foam discs that have a longer range than darts.

Nerf Vortex Box Art Revealed

Will probably pass on these. Already in trouble with my wife for getting 6 NERF guns this month and don't want to be bothered with another ammo type. Also not too keen on the look or color scheme.

Graham

That's a shame. Was going to look for one, to put under my Recon, but will pass now.

Graham

Sorry I didnt see this until now. It is really simple Graham. The attachment point of the Barrel Break is rather simple. You just need to analyze the top rail of the barrel break. then open up the Recon front rail system. Cut off the bottom rail so that the bottom is smooth. Then cut enough material out so that when the rail system is closed and screwed tight, it will close onto the barrel break rail. The Recon railsystem will act like a GIANT rail mount. You will also need to cut the handle of the barrel break off otherwise it will interfere with the magwell and mag of the Recon.

Here are the official pics of the four Vortex blasters.

Thanks man. Always good to have good clear pics to work with.

What's odd is that all of them have safeties. As you guys would know, no Nerf clip system has safeties... except for electrics. If cover box can be believed, the Nitron is electric and the rest are not but.. Nerf really never needed a safety, it's a nice touch though. The mag looks quite big though, I think possibly 18 to 20 round? If that's the case this might be a good gun to get to lay down fire. Oddly, it may appear that the Nitron may need two separate types of batteries.

Now that I have a good side-on look, I think the guts are likely to be totally different. In most cases there doesn't appear to be much room for a standard Recon plunger system, the distance between the mag well and the back of the gun is very short.

The Proton we know is a single-shot system, not very useful in this day and age; the Vigilon is a 5 shot, integral mag, side loading; I suspect this would become the line's Maverick equivalent as it is short, handy, and shoots sort of enough for plinking exercises. The Praxis is your usual shotgun equivalent, but with a 10-rd clip. In sneak peak video the discharge does sounds like a plunger system.

Anyhow, we'll probably see more photos and vids before its release in Sep.

EDIT: Oh incidentally.. Does anyone see a way to increase ammo capacity beyond the Nitron's 20rd clip? I don't easily see a way to fit round disc into box mags and still have them be manageable in size. We might see drum mags that rotate the disc through 90 degrees but my understanding is that might be a bit finicky?

Edited by Lynx7725

Hasbro posted some videos on Youtube, which are only visible if you have the link (which I think was posted on Facebook). I got these from Nerfhaven:

I think I've seen one more video, showing one of the larger blasters (Praxis?) firing, but I can't find it at the moment.

Edited by jwasko

FWIW, recently scored a good deal on eBay; $50 shipped for a 35rd drum, a 18rd drum, a bipod, and a Nerf scope (which does jack). Arrived today.

35rd drum is an oddity for me. Good news: the Stampede is able to free-stand with the drum, the bipod in the lower rail, and the tail on the ground. That spells good things for me. :)

35rd drum on the Alpha Trooper makes it a wee bit unbalanced IMO but still quite workable. I'm a bit concern because it seems it might jam a bit too frequently. So far everything works smoothly. Feels a bit awkward but the increased mag size makes it interesting.

18rd drums, I experienced a mag feed failure during testing. At around the 6rd mark as the black mag bottom starts to rise into the column, it can jam. Flip open the jam cover and prodding the rounds down solves the problem. I was able to replicate the problem with the mag free, and had a scare when I stupidly released the spring with no rounds in the mag (bottom bounced up all the way... sheesh).

Also, loading 18 rounds into the mag seems to add quite a bit of pressure (even 36 layers of foam has some resistance...). I'm thinking of short-loading the clip to 16 or even 15 rounds to ease the tension.

Two 18rd drums with probably an initial 18rd straight clip should be sufficient for most games. I should be good in terms of purchases for quite a while.

The bipod, I just wanted to get another to dress up my Longstrike. I find the bipod useful in some circumstances but to be honest, until I mod the 'Strike it's a hanger queen. The scope (from a 'Shot I think?) is a bonus, do absolutely jack, but makes the 'Strike feel a bit better about its performance (or lack thereof). I might do something about that though.

35rd drum is an oddity for me. Good news: the Stampede is able to free-stand with the drum, the bipod in the lower rail, and the tail on the ground. That spells good things for me. :)

35rd drum on the Alpha Trooper makes it a wee bit unbalanced IMO but still quite workable. I'm a bit concern because it seems it might jam a bit too frequently. So far everything works smoothly. Feels a bit awkward but the increased mag size makes it interesting.

18rd drums, I experienced a mag feed failure during testing. At around the 6rd mark as the black mag bottom starts to rise into the column, it can jam. Flip open the jam cover and prodding the rounds down solves the problem. I was able to replicate the problem with the mag free, and had a scare when I stupidly released the spring with no rounds in the mag (bottom bounced up all the way... sheesh).

Also, loading 18 rounds into the mag seems to add quite a bit of pressure (even 36 layers of foam has some resistance...). I'm thinking of short-loading the clip to 16 or even 15 rounds to ease the tension.

Two 18rd drums with probably an initial 18rd straight clip should be sufficient for most games. I should be good in terms of purchases for quite a while.

I have the same problem with the 18 round drum I have. It feeds the ammo until the the final 6 to 8 come up the clip, then often the plate hangs. When you fire about 11, you have to tap it against something or slap it with your hand to get it to clear up. I have two 35 round drums and I have never had a problem with either one surprisingly. I find my best set up is to throw a 35 round drum on a bare Longstrike. Plenty of ammo and lots of accurate distance for nailing my kids :) The 18 round usually ends up in the Deploy, which my 4 year old loves to use (until it jams of course) because its just his size.

I've also had the 18rd drum hang a couple of times in the same way. No biggie, it works will enough most of the time and to be honest, I'm surprised that for a toy drum magazine firing soft foam darts, it works as well as it does! Anyway, it's good for practicing stoppage drills.

Graham

I've also had the 18rd drum hang a couple of times in the same way. No biggie, it works will enough most of the time and to be honest, I'm surprised that for a toy drum magazine firing soft foam darts, it works as well as it does! Anyway, it's good for practicing stoppage drills.

Graham

I cant remember if the 18rd drum has it, but the 35rd drum has a stoppage knob in the center of the drum. You basically push and turn the knob to back off the dart pusher and then ride the dart pusher back up into the mag portion.

I cant remember if the 18rd drum has it, but the 35rd drum has a stoppage knob in the center of the drum. You basically push and turn the knob to back off the dart pusher and then ride the dart pusher back up into the mag portion.

Both 18 and 35 has the stoppage knob. It won't work in this case though, as the mag plate has already gone past the last slot in the drum -- it's in the pipe proper when it may jam. Prodding the rounds from the chamber (or smacking the mag) is a more consistent approach I think.

Bleh, playing catch-up since I haven't been able to indulge my nerf hobby due to limited space.

The recon should've had a priming handle to begin with. Having a sliding acessory rail on that upper slide always made me scratch my head in confusion. I've seen a few good mods make use of the barrel extension to mount a pump action handle, though unless you do extensive internal mods, those barrel extensions don't help anything.

As far as the new guns go.. yeah, I can't see the discs catching on. Yes, the disc ammo will travel farther, but I seriously doubt it will ever be in a straight line. You're talking about a gun shooting tiny frisbees, and those tend to drift a lot due to the spin necessary to keep them stable. Maybe they'll figure out how to account for that, but I get the distinct impression the only way you'll ever be able to aim them is by pointing the gun a good amount to the side of your target, and hoping the disc drifts sideways enough to hit.

I get the distinct impression the only way you'll ever be able to aim them is by pointing the gun a good amount to the side of your target, and hoping the disc drifts sideways enough to hit.

Well, there's always full auto rock and roll.. :lol:

Of the two guns with detachable mags, One gun is full auto, another is (likely) slamfire. That's actually IMO good enough; the other two have limited use. I just don't see how they can extend the mag cap beyond 20, as the tube would be quite long by then.

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh~ My EYES! Ze Googles, they do nothing!

Really. That's seriously ugly.

Incidentally, Nerf seems to have released (or re-releaseD) a white recolour for their Maverick and Longstrike. Longstrike does look good in white...

The Nerf N-Strike Whiteout Series is all-new, and the Maverick REV-6, Nite Finder EX-3, Facepalm CS-6 and Longstrike CS-6 are the featured blasters. And yes, the Longstrike looks perfect for winter combat.

post-237-0-27509800-1310523466_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-48785100-1310523599_thumb.jpg

post-237-0-81367900-1310523608_thumb.jpg

UN_Marine's bull pup design got my juices flowing and I finally sat down to make my own bull pup. I had pieces out the basic plan for what parts I would want.

My main goal was to use only stock nerf parts. I wasnt sure how the build will go but I want to make it with only nerf parts.

So I sized up my clear deploy and clear raider. Overlapped parts to see where they would line up.

The rear section was the easiest. The front rail/sight/grip section was tough. Then I made a charging handle using the Deploy charging handle. And used a coat hanger to wire up the front trigger to the bolt release mechanism.

I did not use any glue. everything is screwed together so it can be taken apart and be tweaked. The action of the bolt is not as smooth as I would like so I need to tweak it. But it is a fully functional bull pup.

Here is a comparison shot with my other all stock/modified nerf guns.

yellownstrike.jpg

pic

Awesome! which blasters & parts did you use for the bullpup mod?

Max Force guns are now available at toy stores everywhere. But is anyone here gonna buy them? How would anyone justify paying US$40 for something that shoots spitballs?

I saw a few at the local store. On closer inspection, they don't have any triggers- they're over-engineered slingshots. The spitball ammo seems like they won't work or at least exit the blaster properly if you try to use them dry.