There are no Nerf Wars in my area, so any shooting that happens is between my friends or siblings and me.

We are in a competition to make the coolest nerf gun though, so I have a leg up on them now :)

those dartzone guns are really a waste

Lose all that battery power to rotating barrels that serve no purpose other than looks

Bought the Raider last night

Pretty fun

Was going to get the LongStrike but saw this video on a guy who mods his nerf dart guns

I wasnt impressed with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an944mcdkiE&feature=relmfu

Edited by Snail00

Looks like a stock AR/ spring replacement exercise. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's not really making the LongStrike stand out.

The Long Strike has two major drawbacks -- standard Recon reverse plunger guts, and that barrel extension. If you are doing a AR/ spring replacement exercise, you're not really getting anything extra other than a Recon in a nicer body -- and a Recon is more compact, easier to swing about (but more difficult to cycle s Recon's action).

If you do a AR/ spring replacement exercise, and still use that barrel extension, then... urgh. That barrel extension, I've tested; it actually slows the dart down, so it actually makes the gun less accurate. If you do nothing to that barrel, it's actually simply better not to use it.

The good points about the LongStrike is its action and its ergonomics. The shotgun handle is really good to use, and the stock is solid; it flows nicely into position. Action is hesitant only at the front (for safety), so while you can't pump out like a slamfire design, you can get a decent ROF simply by getting a good rhythm.

Do an AR/ spring, get a big mag, learn to use the gun, and you can lay down a pattern very well. I like one_klump's mod on the charging handle, it looks useful. Better if there's an extension backwards and you can grip it like a real bolt and pull/ push.

If you are indoors with a high ceiling, you can actually use the gun as an impromptu mortar -- the grip and action is at the correct angles for that. Fairly accurate but streamline darts are very easily influenced by air movement.

Edited by Lynx7725

I was looking at some of the guns people have modded at Nerf Haven... those guys take Nerf guns seriously! Mine are mostly for backyard fights with the neighborhood kids.

Most of my guns are in the process of being made into functioning cosplay props. Steampunk, Iron Kingdoms, Ren Faire, etc.

I was looking at some of the guns people have modded at Nerf Haven... those guys take Nerf guns seriously! Mine are mostly for backyard fights with the neighborhood kids.

Most of my guns are in the process of being made into functioning cosplay props. Steampunk, Iron Kingdoms, Ren Faire, etc.

Oh yeah those guys are crazy. NH is a weird place. They like to sh!t in your cheerios a lot. Very immature, they ban you for asking questions if you didnt search first.

The buzzbee Ultimate Berserker is a target exclusive. i think it is a great "nerf" gun. It has primary potential and a two dart secondary turret that can be rapidly fired. I like to rush using the 20 darts and gain distance toward my enemy and then shoot them with the primary air tank.

Normally the primary system is designed to shoot these foam missiles. But if you change out the barrel to shoot stefans (home made darts) or mod the nerf streamlines (I add an airsoft bb in the tip to add more weight to increase stability during flight) the gun can fire great distances.

I removed the pump handle and added a cheap airsoft stock. Now I can shoulder and cheek the weapon properly.

dsc0734r.jpg

Here is a video of using the berserker in close range. it is rather painful. It can cause large welts similar to paintball.

Edited by Solscud007

An Airsoft BB in the tip of a streamline dart? never heard of that process before. I'll have to give it a shot.

Just broke out my Maverick last night and pulled out the air restrictors, and cut out the tabs on the barrel so it flips out completely now.

The band saw I bought 5 years ago is finally getting use! I took the shield from the Stampede, cut out along the ridge on the interior, and now it fits the Vulcan. Looks much better, like it belongs on the larger, tripod mounted gun.

I have a bunch of nerf guns, I know one of my NCOs has quite a few as well. Nerf tends to be more indoor friendly than paintball and airsoft (I my self have played both indoors, and let me tell you, close quarters with a paintball gun is not as enjoyable as it is outside. also airsoft will punch through drywall with the right guns). Also, for anyone who has ever played the assassin game on a college campus. Nerf guns are not likely to draw the attention of the campus cops. Also eye protection is not as vital with nerf. Fun times in the Dorms on base though.

An Airsoft BB in the tip of a streamline dart? never heard of that process before. I'll have to give it a shot.

Just broke out my Maverick last night and pulled out the air restrictors, and cut out the tabs on the barrel so it flips out completely now.

The band saw I bought 5 years ago is finally getting use! I took the shield from the Stampede, cut out along the ridge on the interior, and now it fits the Vulcan. Looks much better, like it belongs on the larger, tripod mounted gun.

I discovered the airsoft BB mod for the clip darts. It really only helps with stronger modified dart guns. For example, my nerf raider has a, upgraded spring. the BB tipped darts fly better. If you use it in a stock gun, even with ARs removed the bb will add too much weight and distance is decreased.

I use them with the pump airguns like the berserker or now my longstrike missile blast.

I have a bunch of nerf guns, I know one of my NCOs has quite a few as well. Nerf tends to be more indoor friendly than paintball and airsoft (I my self have played both indoors, and let me tell you, close quarters with a paintball gun is not as enjoyable as it is outside. also airsoft will punch through drywall with the right guns). Also, for anyone who has ever played the assassin game on a college campus. Nerf guns are not likely to draw the attention of the campus cops. Also eye protection is not as vital with nerf. Fun times in the Dorms on base though.

eye protection is always an issue. My little brothers specialize in shooting me right in the eyeball. Twice now I've had to call a time out due to a them getting a "headshot" while I was aiming my own blaster lol.

This is the first I have heard of the R3L blasters. Found the website at DIYblasters.blogspot.com I am very interesting in making a few, the parts list is so simple.

I was messing with my Maverick when I pretty much killed it. Darn thing just would not fire darts anymore. So I tore it down, and did some surgery. It is a non-functioning prop now, but the barrels still rotate and the primer still dry-fires.. I added weights to the handle to help balance it, and the plunger has been replaced with a roll of pennies to provide some "oomf" to the dry fire.

post-806-129757011765_thumb.jpg

Edited by one_klump

The concept seems cool at first, but then you realize its biggest flaws:
  • It's as big as the Stampede ECS, but is not fully-automatic.
  • It's a pump-action blaster with no trigger.
  • It uses the same flywheel system as the much smaller Barricade RV-10. Probably noisier too.

Thus, its only real advantage is its dart capacity.

Edited by areaseven

I saw it in tru. Contemplated getting it, but no full auto in a gun that size is a deal breaker.

I did pick up a Barricade from Wally World for $16.00. Love the gun, and its not that loud.

This is the first I have heard of the R3L blasters. Found the website at DIYblasters.blogspot.com I am very interesting in making a few, the parts list is so simple.

IIRC, R3L is a self-made system by the SGnerf guy. It's a very simply system, mostly plumbing parts. It's a good thing, and a logical extension of hobby, but... shrug.

I was messing with my Maverick when I pretty much killed it.

What did you do to kill it? The Mav is a straightforward system, and it's quite robust; it's probably a small thing that can be easily fixed. And if it can, that long revolver look might be worth it. :)

I'm not sure what I did to kill it. I removed the Air Restrictors, added hot glue to fill in the space where the AR's used to be, and it shot great, easily added 10 feet to the distance. But I wasn't getting a great air seal on all the chambers, so I took it back apart, added a bit more hot glue, and reassembled it. No shoot. Air was shooting from the gun, but the darts were not moving. I took it back apart, removed all of the hot glue, and replaced the air restrictors, curious if I had blocked something with the hot glue. Still no go.

I never messed with the air cylinder, or any of the firing mechanisms. So meh, a $7.00 gun is a prop now. I'll get another from wallyworld if I need one. The Barricade is my sidearm of choice now tho.

Is the air pressure coming out similar? If so could be something dragging on the darts. If so it's an easy fix.

If the air pressure dropped, then you might have a blown O-ring or a cracked plunger. Those things are built with a certain pressure in mind, so they can crack. And if you have removed the AR without padding the inside of the plunger, the additional plunger velocity has been known to crack the casing, resulting in pressure loss. It's known for modded AR guns to shoot great for a bit, then crack the housing, killing the gun.

one_klump:

The plunger tube (which, I'm guessing, is what you're calling an "air cylinder"...it's the part that the piston/plunger slides in, and where the air comes out) may have gotten slightly dislodged. It fits in the blaster's shell two different ways (one farther forward and one farther back), and only works properly one way. The pictures here may help.

Also, check the timing on the rotation; the barrel should be aligned right before it fires (make sure you don't shoot your eye out while doing this).

The Maverick is simple, but finicky.

(although, at this point, you probably don't care)

Finally, a video review of the Air Zone Power Strike 48. It gets mad distances (up to almost 100 feet on arc shots), but the firing rate sucks (1-2 seconds per shot) and it's louder than a blender.

Apparently, Air Zone blasters are manufactured by Buzz Bee Toys for TRU. Also, the Power Strike 48 was temporarily on sale for $14.99.

After having an outdoor nerf battle with my daughter, the Barricade had as good as, if not better range than than my AR removed Raider. The Stampede came in 3rd, followed by the vulcan and the longstrike was a miserable last place.

After having an outdoor nerf battle with my daughter, the Barricade had as good as, if not better range than than my AR removed Raider. The Stampede came in 3rd, followed by the vulcan and the longstrike was a miserable last place.

Yeah, I was gonna buy the Longstrike, but I realized that it uses the same Recon mechanism and the firing distance is lousy, especially since it's supposed to be a sniper rifle.

Yeah, I was gonna buy the Longstrike, but I realized that it uses the same Recon mechanism and the firing distance is lousy, especially since it's supposed to be a sniper rifle.

But you gotta admit, it is eye-catching :).

Edited by shiroikaze

Oh, it is, and that is exactly why I bought it. However, I get most of my Nerf blasters from Hudson's Salvage stores. Not exactly brand new items, heck, most items don't even have boxes, but stuff is cheap as dirt. Got the Stampede and Longstrike for $10 each, and a Recon for $1. The best thing about that place is the minimal buyer's remorse in case I get a dud. Stay away from the vulcans in there though, they tend not to work, as most everything in the store is returned items from other stores.

Here is my latest creation: Nerf Recon Masterkey. The Masterkey is a real weapon. It pairs a shotgun under a M4/AR-15.

So I minimized my Barrel Break and mounted it under my Recon. I also made a forward charging handle for the Recon.

masterkey.jpg

Here is a video of it operating.

Try the Stampede with the 18-rd drum mag, much more handy. :)

I plan to buy an Alpha Trooper soon just for that. Besides, the bipod doesn't work with the stock 18-round magazine on.

Also, the bottom rail doesn't work properly with any accessory other than the bipod, and the top front rail has nothing for it aside from the shield (which I probably will never use). The tactical laser sight does not lock in place with the long magazine attached, so the only other rails that work with it are the top handle (which is being used by the tactical scope right now) and the sides.

I plan to buy an Alpha Trooper soon just for that. Besides, the bipod doesn't work with the stock 18-round magazine on.

Also, the bottom rail doesn't work properly with any accessory other than the bipod, and the top front rail has nothing for it aside from the shield (which I probably will never use). The tactical laser sight does not lock in place with the long magazine attached, so the only other rails that work with it are the top handle (which is being used by the tactical scope right now) and the sides.

Those 18-rd drums are really nice. Bipod works well with them, from experience. I've got to get more of them.

Speaking of tact rails and attachments, what I'll really like to see is more useful stuff on them. Most "RL" aren't really that useful in Nerf, key would be handles, but you can only stick so many handles on a gun. I'm working on some electronics that can be rail-mounted, but what other attachments would be useful?

A "shotgun" attachment is probably useful as a volume-of-fire multiplier, and the Stampede bottom rails might work for that, but it makes the gun very bulky. Maybe mag and batt holders, but still...

Here is my latest creation: Nerf Recon Masterkey. The Masterkey is a real weapon. It pairs a shotgun under a M4/AR-15.

So I minimized my Barrel Break and mounted it under my Recon. I also made a forward charging handle for the Recon.

masterkey.jpg

Nice. I'd suggest using a raider stock instead, that's a lot more stable.

Like the forward charging handle, metal rod driving the plunger back? Looks right.

I use the Raider's 35 dart drum on the Stampede, works great, and gives you a bit of an edge against a vulcan's 25 round belt.

As for the shield, I trimmed the inside opening along the ridge, and now it fits on the vulcan, where it actually makes a bit of sense as a stationary tripod mounted weapon.