The Dark Knight Rises

Ladic

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the exact words of that chant in the Pit? I'm trying to type it into a translator to see what language it is, but it sounds different every time I hear it. it's basically variations of, "Marsala-marsala, ish-ish!" Or was it, "Bassara, Bassara! Ish Ish!"

Did this phrase even come from an actual language? Supposedly it means "Rise!" in a foreign language, but that's a real mouthful for such a simple phrase.

Does anyone know the exact words of that chant in the Pit? I'm trying to type it into a translator to see what language it is, but it sounds different every time I hear it. it's basically variations of, "Marsala-marsala, ish-ish!" Or was it, "Bassara, Bassara! Ish Ish!"

Did this phrase even come from an actual language? Supposedly it means "Rise!" in a foreign language, but that's a real mouthful for such a simple phrase.

Deshi Basara. its supposedly Morrocan Arabic.

Source

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Deshi Basara. its supposedly Morrocan Arabic.

Source

Thanks for the link. I would have never found what it meant on my own, listening to the DVD. Either I need to get myself a new set of speakers, or the extras in the Pit scene spoke with an atrocious accent, as a few in that forum mentioned.

BTW, seems like a lot of disagreement on the authenticity of the phrase. But at least they agreed that it is Moroccan Arabic.

Edited by GU-11

When they do it to a rhythm, they're chanting "Deshi Deshi. Basara. Basara." Besides the various accents, the rhythm'd chanting, and no one says that in real life, that's probably what's contributing to the confusion. A romanized pronunciation would probably be "teeji basra".

When they do it to a rhythm, they're chanting "Deshi Deshi. Basara. Basara." Besides the various accents, the rhythm'd chanting, and no one says that in real life, that's probably what's contributing to the confusion. A romanized pronunciation would probably be "teeji basra".

I'm amazed how you all can actually make out the exact words. There was no subtitling on my DVD during the chanting, and what I heard was way different from "teeji basra." Well, "basra," I could barely make out, but "teeji" and "deshi" came off as "ish."

Plus a lot of people on this forum can recognize "Basara" being said by various speakers/accents. :D

LOL! I couldn't help chuckling when I heard the chant the first few times. While I wasn't sure at first, it sounded something like "Basara"; I half-expected the VF-19 Kai to come swooshing down the pit to rescue Bruce.

And this.

Should have gotten the blu-ray in retrospect. It was ore expensive, but it seems there are more extras in the BD and in the DVD version.

Should have gotten the blu-ray in retrospect. It was ore expensive, but it seems there are more extras in the BD and in the DVD version.

Yes, I bought my sister a copy of 'Rises but she doesn't have blu-ray, and it's disappointing that the dvd version only has one featurette. At the very least, they should've put in the Batmobile documentary, not that Bruce Wayne thingy...

Yes, I bought my sister a copy of 'Rises but she doesn't have blu-ray, and it's disappointing that the dvd version only has one featurette. At the very least, they should've put in the Batmobile documentary, not that Bruce Wayne thingy...

I bought the two-disc DVD version, and the bonus DVD had the Batmobile documentary, as well as various details on the characters and movie sets. It, however, didn't have the part explaining the deshi basra chant.

All I ever heard was "eesh eesh ah! ah! eesh eesh ah! ah!" :ph34r:

I bought the two-disc DVD version, and the bonus DVD had the Batmobile documentary, as well as various details on the characters and movie sets. It, however, didn't have the part explaining the deshi basra chant.

@@@@ it, I bought her the wrong one!

Got around to the watching my bluray last night I got for xmas. Very impressive picture and sound quality. The letterbox to full screen IMAX shots still bug me like they did on Dark Night, but that's a small nitpick. The picture is, in my book, downright perfect. The sound is bonecrushing and subwoofer was asking for the day off today. :lol: As far as Bane's dialog....almost could understand every word. about 2 or 3 scenes I had to rewind and put the subtitles on. (and i normally don't ever have to do that considering the B&W center channel I have). All around very enjoyable though. Didn't get around to any extras yet, maybe today.

I finally got around to seeing it for the first time as it's still a very sensitive subject around here. I liked it but I doubt I'll ever buy it. It definitely held my attention all the way through and I enjoyed the ending.

I felt this was the weakest, or rather the least strong, of the three movies... but still a damned good ride; although, the "Wrath of Kahn" style 'out' they put in there made the self-sacrifice angle entirely meaningless. I also thought that the odd switching back and forth from wide screen to full screen in the BD was very distracting.

I felt this was the weakest, or rather the least strong, of the three movies... but still a damned good ride; although, the "Wrath of Kahn" style 'out' they put in there made the self-sacrifice angle entirely meaningless. I also thought that the odd switching back and forth from wide screen to full screen in the BD was very distracting.

Well, some speculate that

when Alfred went back to that cafe by the river, he was just imagining seeing Bruce and Selina there, since it looked very unlikely that he ejected in time.

Personally, I'm just going to stick to the canon explanation in the actual ending.

Edited by GU-11

Right, I'm not going to indulge in fanboy speculation that tries to make the ending somehow more poignant. I'll take the ending as portraid on screen.

Batman flies off in the BAT towing the fusion core to a safe distance, it goes off, and everyone thinks him dead until Lucius Fox (and here is where "rememder" came to mind) learns that the auto-pilot glitch had been resolved by Bruce himself some 6 months prior; then we see Alfred some time later, who presumably still believes Bruce to be dead, spot him at the café with Selina, and Bruce acknowledges him... so Bruce ejected in time, reconnected with Ms. Kyle and used the "clean slate" program to give them both a fresh start. The end.

At least with The Wrath of Kahn the only thing we're given is the soft-landed photon torpedo casket, and "remember" does no come into play untill The Search for Spock. At the end of ST:II, Spock's death is real and deeply felt.

Edited by mechaninac

the self-sacrifice angle is highly overated and honestly, the movie needed to end on an up note to make the both it and the whole franchise work. Personally I liked this one the best of the three, but then again I also liked TDK the least.

Me, I liked Batman Begins the most, despite the convoluted Rube Goldberg-esque scheme to bring down Gotham. I place TDK in second place because I didn't find the story quite as compelling, but Heath Ledger's portrayal of The Joker was a pleasure to watch... it was a tour de force performance. TDKR gets relegated to third place to me because, like TDK, it just didn't grab me like the first did, and due to its lack of any break-out characters; it was a good movie but not great.

One thing I did enjoy immensely with Nolan's trilogy was the consistent narrative, and recurring second tier and minor characters, even if just for a cameo... like Dr. Crane.

Edited by mechaninac

My only gripe with TDKR is Talia and Banes connection. Making him 'love' her instead of just being her protector was abit of a whipcrack to Banes impressive presance.

That and everyone standing around having a chat while their is only 5 minutes on a nuke ticking away. lol,other then that,its a great film and solid end to the trilogy. :)

TDK has never been my favorite. I've always liked Batman Begins the best, followed by TDKR and lastly, TDK.

Ledger's performance was the show stealer for TDK, but I found a lot of inconsistencies in the plot (how's a guy with scars like that walk around unnoticed for so long? And the police and government agencies don't even have a record of him?) Wasn't a fan of the new Rachel either.

• 4 months later...

So, this is only "tangently" related to Dark Knight Rises.

But I found it freakin' hilarious:

Kinda wished they had somehow animated the "money=>bear=>bunny" scene at the end of this though.