The Dark Knight Rises

Ladic

I also refuse to compare this with The Avengers, as they really are differently styled franchises. Both delivered equally this summer on their own terms.

Agreed. Why people insist on comparing apples and oranges is beyond me. Should we compare Rises to What's Eating Gilbert Grape while we're at it? The tone of both series is completely different; they are different types of stories altogether...

Agreed. Why people insist on comparing apples and oranges is beyond me. Should we compare Rises to What's Eating Gilbert Grape while we're at it? The tone of both series is completely different; they are different types of stories altogether...

Sorry lads... gotta disagree here. My opinion-Both titles juggernaugts in the comic industry, both with 2012 blockbusters for the summer season. The question, can one Batman have a better movie than 5 Avengers? Yes he can! Liked Avengers, Spiderman was cool, Batman beat all. And it didnt need 5 scenes or less for 3D.

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

Sorry lads... gotta disagree here. My opinion-Both titles juggernaugts in the comic industry, both with 2012 blockbusters for the summer season. The question, can one Batman have a better movie than 5 Avengers? Yes he can! Liked Avengers, Spiderman was cool, Batman beat all. And it didnt need 5 scenes or less for 3D.

Agreed. It was the main feature of the comic industry this summer. Realistic and dark vs Exposive and packed.

If you liked them both, that's cool. If you don't want to compare them, cool as well.

But it's difficult to deny they were competing against each other.

And it didnt need 5 scenes or less for 3D.

And this is one of the highlights for me. No need for glasses or headaches. As Bane said,

Theatricality and deception are powerful agents against the uninitiated! But we are not uninitiated.

Was going to go see it today, but was too tired to make it to an 11am screening. Did watch TDK for the first time last night, then I stayed up til 3am watching inception. still tired.

Still need to go see it again.

Not to re-hash The Dark Knight Rises vs. Avengers vs. Any Other Comic Book Movie but they really are two different "types" of comic book movies.

In the same vein as trying to compare Kick-Ass vs. The Amazing Spider-man, they simply tell two different types of comic book stories and go about entertaining (story telling, subject matter, etc.) audiences in different ways. It's like trying to argue which is better between chocolate and vanilla with fudge swirl ice cream.

I enjoyed both and depending on what flavor of ice-cream I want I may choose Nolan's Batman films vs. Avengers or anything Marvel related.

-b.

and I always hated the last set of Batman films, hated them and always thought the Batman and Batman Returns were highly over-rated. If you really want to compare, then compare this trilogy to the other "Bat" films.

As for some of you guys that mentioned the Talia twist, I think I had it pinned in the middle of the film when Bruce and Talia's character are sleeping together. If you notice closely in one shot, Talia's back as the League's symbol on it (bruce rubs it for a short moment). I think you really had to pay close attention and have some back knowledge to spot that one, but it's there, probably as a little easter egg.

Secondly, I agree, I know that this movie was revolving around the concept of "pain", but I really think Tom Hardy + Bane wasn't the best choice for this movie's villain. It was great, but it really didn't have the "amazing" factor that dark knight with the joker did. Dark Knight was simply a masterpiece that I could watch repetitively and not get bored. It was fun, creative, serious, inspirational, etc. all at the same time.

I really wish Nolan had went with Warner Bros. recommendation to cast the villain as the Riddler and have him played by Decaprio. Riddler seems somewhat similar to the "fun" factor that the joker had, but with a vastly different character, etc. Would have been a bit more fun, and I'm sure they could have tied some similar themes in if they wanted. I was just too detached from the Bane character to really care about him, whereas I was in tune completely with Joker's performance.

Finally, anyone check out the Hot Toys "the Bat"? It looks larger than their tumbler, hope it won't cost more than a 1000 dollars....

Edited by Archer

Dark Knight was simply a masterpiece that I could watch repetitively and not get bored. It was fun, creative, serious, inspirational, etc. all at the same time.

Agreed.

I really wish Nolan had went with Warner Bros. recommendation to cast the villain as the Riddler and have him played by Decaprio. Riddler seems somewhat similar to the "fun" factor that the joker had, but with a vastly different character, etc. Would have been a bit more fun, and I'm sure they could have tied some similar themes in if they wanted. I was just too detached from the Bane character to really care about him, whereas I was in tune completely with Joker's performance.

Nolan wanted a more physical foe for the last film, keeping it in contrast from Ras and Joker. Riddler is too much like the Joker playing mind games and never been a character that would take on the entire city. As well it would have risked to flop against Heath's performance. Here I agree with Nolan. DiCaprio? No thanks. If they did the Riddler as a secondary villain, then please Depp.

Agreed.

Nolan wanted a more physical foe for the last film, keeping it in contrast from Ras and Joker. Riddler is too much like the Joker playing mind games and never been a character that would take on the entire city. As well it would have risked to flop against Heath's performance. Here I agree with Nolan. DiCaprio? No thanks. If they did the Riddler as a secondary villain, then please Depp.

Exactly, The Ra's story arc had to be brought full circle to end the trilogy. Depp would've (could've) been great as a more physically and intellectually imposing Riddler possibly, [eg: Pirates of the...] (probably not~eg: Dark Shadows ). But Nolan kept as true to the books as possible without going too far out of what could really happen.

Kick-Ass vs. The Amazing Spider-man

Kick Ass!

I agree with Omegablue, using a mind game type of character like the riddler and casting Dicapro would have drawn too many comparisons to The Dark Knight and the movie would have been massacred by the critics after Ledger's performance. Also yes Depp would make a great Riddler.

Now as for the Joker question what do you do? My personal preference would be to have Nolan come back and do a Catwoman/Batgirl film with Harley Quinn as the villianess a former physciatrist at arkham who became obsessed with the Joker. Not with love, but the urge to become him thus slitting his throat in prison and taking his place. For various reasons there's no way that's going to happen, even if in a twist end she didn't actually kill him.

The second would be just to reintroduce the character played by someone else if the continuity is kept. This would be where Dicaprio would come in.

My last point is people that claim that's the Begins trilogy is both dark and realistic. Dark? Yes. Realistic? Oh Hell No! The batmobile chase in Begins? No way that happens in real life. Giving a choice to violent convicts surviving or getting blown by civilians in the same situation in Dark Knight? You know damn well the convicts will push the button. The people's republic of my scrotum liberation army occupies Gotham for over a year and the government does nothing? Just try this in New York. The people living there won't take that crap(and are probly more heavily armed than the new scrotum army) the military wouldn't sit on their duff either no matter what some superweapon a guy claims he has. Bane would be drone striked the first moment he stepped outside.

Now as for the Joker question what do you do?

They could of just shown the Joker as CGI in a Arkham cell, and final twist he escapes at the end for the new forces to pursue?

Problem solved, full circle to Joker as well.

My last point is people that claim that's the Begins trilogy is both dark and realistic. Dark? Yes. Realistic? Oh Hell No! The batmobile chase in Begins? No way that happens in real life.

Have you seen stunt driving, military test ops, Top gear and other shows in that line... It's very possible.

Giving a choice to violent convicts surviving or getting blown by civilians in the same situation in Dark Knight? You know damn well the convicts will push the button.

Well most of the convicts probably wanted to redeem themselves, as well they were against armed guards, and most likely crippled by the fear of such a situation.

The people's republic of my scrotum liberation army occupies Gotham for over a year and the government does nothing? Just try this in New York. The people living there won't take that crap(and are probly more heavily armed than the new scrotum army) the military wouldn't sit on their duff either no matter what some superweapon a guy claims he has. Bane would be drone striked the first moment he stepped outside.

Here I can't argue. You're very right.

Please explain what put you off?

I'm still like WTF when after the prison he appears in Gotham and managed to bypass Bane's men.

Also didn't like the inclusion of Blake. Made it less about Batman, and more about Gotham's heroes.

What else, how yeah, like how the city is taken over by convicts, and three months later it's still clean, no looting or pillaging evidence in the streets.

And yes, the Batroachwing, was a little too unrealistic for Nolan's universe.

My view anyway.

Will still watch it again, and get the Blu-Ray.

Tom Hardy's Sean Connery impersonation. Every time bane spoke I was pulled out of the movie.

I don't like the fact that no detecive work was done by batman. Example Alfred tells him that he is outclassed by bane. And then ask him who controls bane.He never really looks into it. but the pearls get stolen and he realizes that she wanted his fingerprints.

Why did tail Selena kyle in a Lamborghini.

Why would he let daggat gain so much control of his own company.

why did he just into bed with Miranda Tate both business wise and physically (don't blame him for the physical side tho).

Why did he not interrogate anyone.

How did he go from have a bad to top physical condition after doing a prison workout?

As a ending in a trilogy it work as stand alone movie it doesn't. Plot device itself feels like it belongs in an Ironman movie.

Execution wise Avengers wins.

I absolutely love Batman Begins. All the cues from Year One made me giddy like a schoolgirl, especially the SWAT and bats scene.

But I gotta admit that the water-evaporating microwave weapon from it was just a slight bit hokey.

Regarding Rises ending:

How do you guys feel about the "happy" ending? Do you feel having Bruce Wayne die would have had more of a dramatic and memorable impact?

I'm cool with the ending we got, but I'm not sure which is more "appropriate" for the Batman mythos: Wayne dying or living on.

I absolutely love Batman Begins. All the cues from Year One made me giddy like a schoolgirl, especially the SWAT and bats scene.

I agree. Begins was the best Gotham all round. TDK had the best villain though.

Regarding Rises ending:

How do you guys feel about the "happy" ending? Do you feel having Bruce Wayne die would have had more of a dramatic and memorable impact?

I'm cool with the ending we got, but I'm not sure which is more "appropriate" for the Batman mythos: Wayne dying or living on.

It's niether there and here for me. It would have had more meaning if he continued being Batman after his fake death.

Would have showed that Bruce was the mask, and not Batman. At the end he was more keen in kicking ass than running a business, which shows who he really was.

Tom Hardy's Sean Connery impersonation. Every time bane spoke I was pulled out of the movie.

I don't like the fact that no detecive work was done by batman. Example Alfred tells him that he is outclassed by bane. And then ask him who controls bane.He never really looks into it. but the pearls get stolen and he realizes that she wanted his fingerprints.

Why did tail Selena kyle in a Lamborghini.

Why would he let daggat gain so much control of his own company.

why did he just into bed with Miranda Tate both business wise and physically (don't blame him for the physical side tho).

Why did he not interrogate anyone.

How did he go from have a bad to top physical condition after doing a prison workout?

Valid points.

Especially as there was no detective work happening.

Slightly OT. But in 1986, there's a Batman comic book by Frank Miller, where Batman is retired, and has a guy with red hair shooting people in a cinema.

Edited by Omegablue

I agree with Omegablue, using a mind game type of character like the riddler and casting Dicapro would have drawn too many comparisons to The Dark Knight and the movie would have been massacred by the critics after Ledger's performance. Also yes Depp would make a great Riddler.

Dicaprio is a far better actor than Ledger ever was, and it wouldn't be all that hard to write the riddler better than they did the joker.

Dicaprio is too stocky to be the ridler, just doesn't work, hell, I'd buy him as the penguin though.

Realistic? Oh Hell No! The batmobile chase in Begins? No way that happens in real life. Giving a choice to violent convicts surviving or getting blown by civilians in the same situation in Dark Knight?

That's not a hard choice at all!

Tom Hardy's Sean Connery impersonation

I think many Scots are going to be dumbfounded by this comparison. Sean Connery???!???!!!!? :blink:

Tom Hardy said he was inspired by an Irish Romany for the accemt - which I loved by the way. I would have said a continental European aristocrat who has spent most of his adult life in England. But a Scottish Brogue? I just don't hear it at all!

Yeah, don't here too much of a Scotsman in Bane's accent.

Maybe Tom Hardy was trying to tap into his inner Patrick Stewart?

. . . . .And just like that, I've been reminded of that annoying piece of crap called Star Trek: Nemesis. <_< <Mog walks towards a corner, muttering to himself>

What didn't you like about Nemesis? The whole Data/Lor thing is the first annoyance that comes to my mind...

What didn't you like about Nemesis? The whole Data/Lor thing is the first annoyance that comes to my mind...

Where to begin?

It wasn't Lor it was B4 (before?). The way they just let an android (found so near Romulan space) jack into all the Federation data was stupid. The Enterprise being chased at the end, and NO ONE thinking it was a bad idea to go into that cloud where they would be out of communication was - stupid. The Dune buggy was - stupid. Data and Picard have a light warship INSIDE the big bad Romulan ship and all they do is get away rather then blow the thing apart from the inside - stupid. There is a bunch more stupid to go around but I can't remember it.

Even with all that I liked Picard Junior, he did a decent job with the roll. I also really liked the battle in the cloud, nice SFX work there. A little more work on the script and the movie could have been excellent, everything I mentioned as stupid above could have been handled a little differently and it would have worked just fine.

I think many Scots are going to be dumbfounded by this comparison. Sean Connery???!???!!!!? :blink:

Tom Hardy said he was inspired by an Irish Romany for the accemt - which I loved by the way. I would have said a continental European aristocrat who has spent most of his adult life in England. But a Scottish Brogue? I just don't hear it at all!

Connery from highlander. When he emphasizes certain sounds

To be honest, Bane's voice reminded me of Unicron from TFtM, almost comedically so. Once I got over that I was cool. Also not sure -how the topic of Nemesis came up, but my biggest problem with that was the blatant Wrath of Khan rehash mixed in with Data being uber suicidal for the whole film, talk about a telegraphed death.

Yes---Nemesis was a sad way to leave the Next Generation...it had potential as was mentioned above....but went wrong somewhere in the middle. BACK ON TOPIC! Went to see TDKR tonight. Every bit as epic as Dark Knight in my opinion. I still think I prefer Batman Begins to the 2 sequels however. Bane was a good bad guy for sure! I did have a little trouble understanding some of his dialogue, but not a lot. All in all....thumbs up for me.

For me the beginning of Batman Begins trumps the sequels, the time spent training with Ra's Al Ghul and accompanying flashbacks were epic.

BUT after seeing the Bat-suit improvements in The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises I can no longer enjoy the 2nd half of Begins once Bruce dons the v1 Bat-suit. I guess it's an aesthetic thing and the rubber suit is just "meh".

And I still haven't gone back for that second viewing of TDKR. Sigh.

-b.

Where to begin?

It wasn't Lor it was B4 (before?). The way they just let an android (found so near Romulan space) jack into all the Federation data was stupid. The Enterprise being chased at the end, and NO ONE thinking it was a bad idea to go into that cloud where they would be out of communication was - stupid. The Dune buggy was - stupid. Data and Picard have a light warship INSIDE the big bad Romulan ship and all they do is get away rather then blow the thing apart from the inside - stupid. There is a bunch more stupid to go around but I can't remember it.

Even with all that I liked Picard Junior, he did a decent job with the roll. I also really liked the battle in the cloud, nice SFX work there. A little more work on the script and the movie could have been excellent, everything I mentioned as stupid above could have been handled a little differently and it would have worked just fine.

Yeah that's how I felt about it too, but I just couldn't bring myself to remember any of it; hell I didn't even get the droid's name right... :rolleyes:

Ha ha, I haven't giggled that well since the "Editing Room version of Episode 3 ROTS."

Edited by myk

Damn electric indigo, that link gave me too much amusement!

To explain how the hell we got to talking about Nemesis:

* Ghost Train mentioned that Bane's accent sounded like a bad Sean Connery impersonation.

* I thought Bane's voice sounded more like a Patrick Stewart impersonation (with its light conversational and British tone).

* Bane is portrayed by Tom Hardy. . .

* Who also portrayed Shinzon in Nemesis.

* Shinzon is Captain Picard's Reman/human (whatever the frak he was) clone reject made by the Romulans.

* And Captain Picard was portrayed by none other than. . . .

* PATRICK STEWART!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to chart how M&Ms are linked to Anaconda Malt Liquor.

Did I just miss it, or has no one here commented on the whole chanting "Basara Basara" thing? Obviously they wanted Batman to sing to his enemies, not punch them. :)

No wonder why Bats wanted the climb the hell out of that pit. :lol:

Probably explains why he passed on the safety rope that last time too. Either he leaps across to that ledge and escapes having to "Listen to [his] song!!" or he gets to enjoy the sweet, sweet embrace of a death-fall and escapes having to hear Basara.

Still, it's a pretty catchy war-chant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-UsHfViOk8&feature=related

Did I just miss it, or has no one here commented on the whole chanting "Basara Basara" thing? Obviously they wanted Batman to sing to his enemies, not punch them. :)

Close...but they chant "deshi basara", which apparently is Moroccan for "he rises", obviously.