Zentradi commander faceplates

Prime

For whatever reason I always thought that Vrlitwhai wore a faceplate as a result of some sort of injury (perhaps I got that from Robotech in times past). But after seeing Ogotai using something similar in Frontier I figure I've missed something. Was there ever an explanation given for Vrlitwhai's faceplate, and if it isn't for an injury what is it exactly?

For whatever reason I always thought that Vrlitwhai wore a faceplate as a result of some sort of injury (perhaps I got that from Robotech in times past). But after seeing Ogotai using something similar in Frontier I figure I've missed something. Was there ever an explanation given for Vrlitwhai's faceplate, and if it isn't for an injury what is it exactly?

If there's no explanation, and it's on other clones, my explanation would be maybe a defect of the clone, but due to it's effectiveness as a leader, the faceplate is used as a fix to the genetic defect. I can't really think of any other reason why it'd be on all the clones, but perhaps there's another explanation, or maybe even one given in some book. It'd be cool if anyone knows the real explanation.

I think it's Just a call back to SDF:M like so almost everything else in Frontier. We've seen two Zentradi with that type of faceplate, I don't think we can draw any kind of conclusion from that, it's just as likely that they both have the same skull/face injury as it being some sort of command body modification or clone defect.

Edited by anime52k8

For whatever reason I always thought that Vrlitwhai wore a faceplate as a result of some sort of injury (perhaps I got that from Robotech in times past). But after seeing Ogotai using something similar in Frontier I figure I've missed something.

Uh... well, part of the reason for your confusion is that you're mixing traits from two different versions of Britai. The DYRL designs have supplanted the TV series designs in many respects, and Britai's is one of them (as shown in Macross 7 and Macross Frontier). The Britai design for the Super Dimension Fortress Macross TV series had a faceplate that was basically nothing but an elaborate eyepatch. The art from the series (Entertainment Bible 27 pp119) indicates that his eye is still there, but it appears to be misaligned (ala Strabismus) and possibly blind. How his eye came to be that way isn't stated... it could be the result of battlefield injury, or it may be a congenital defect. The other commanders we see in the TV series don't have that same eyepatch.

By the opposite token, the version of Britai from Macross: Do You Remember Love? sports a faceplate that appears to be a functional cybernetic prosthetic. The movie shows it with a few flickering lights, and something that is clearly a lens under the protective cover. Other commanders we see sport similar modifications (Boddole Zer, Ogotai, etc.) and in Macross's parallel world continuity (Macross II et. al.) those are pretty unambiguously shown to be a cybernetic prosthetic. Whether commanders like Britai are fitted with them before they go into active service is unclear, but there is one known instance of one being fitted to replace an eye lost in combat. In the Macross II prequels, Quamzin narrowly survives his fight with Roy, and when he next appears in 2036 he's sporting a new cybernetic eye to replace the one he lost in 2010. (Macross Frontier's Temjin may be a thinly veiled reference to this and Kamjin's loss of an eye in the original series)

Uh... well, part of the reason for your confusion is that you're mixing traits from two different versions of Britai. The DYRL designs have supplanted the TV series designs in many respects, and Britai's is one of them (as shown in Macross 7 and Macross Frontier).

Oh, I'm well aware that DYRL designs are now largely the canon versions. I should have been more clear and indicated I was referring to DYRL Vrlitwhai in particular.

By the opposite token, the version of Britai from Macross: Do You Remember Love? sports a faceplate that appears to be a functional cybernetic prosthetic. The movie shows it with a few flickering lights, and something that is clearly a lens under the protective cover. Other commanders we see sport similar modifications (Boddole Zer, Ogotai, etc.)

I agree it is made to appear as functional hardware, even if that doesn't provide any insight to the reason for the replacement/addition.

Whether commanders like Britai are fitted with them before they go into active service is unclear

That answers my question. One of the mysteries of Macross, I guess. :)

I wonder if it is in part an interface with their command ship, almost a "evolutionary" midway point between a standard soldier and being fully integrated a la Boddole Zer...

Probably some sort of tactical battlefield comms / map device, that allows the commander to know where all his troops are and communicate with them.

Graham

OK, that was gonna be my other theory. As it seems most of the Zentraedi ships have an organic type of look to them, and you see Bodolza is, for the most part, fully integrated into his ship, perhaps the higher up you rank, the more integrated modifications need to be made to the commanders to be in control of their respective fleets.

I think that could be just as viable as a genetic defect that eventually gets an enhancement due to the fact that Zentraedi seem to not know much of genetics, as they were made for war. Could be whatever genetic mistakes were made after the Protoculture disappeared, the cloning process would just replicate it over and over, and they would just have to install implants and the sort to correct the problems.

They're two pretty good theories I guess. With no solid story to it, I guess we can just make up our own. It's cool to hear the different ideas. They are quite fascinating.

perhaps the higher up you rank, the more integrated modifications need to be made to the commanders to be in control of their respective fleets.

I agree with this waay more than the "defect" theory. In fact I came to the same conclusion a while ago. This must be why Boddole Zer was all wired up.

OK, that was gonna be my other theory. As it seems most of the Zentraedi ships have an organic type of look to them, and you see Bodolza is, for the most part, fully integrated into his ship, perhaps the higher up you rank, the more integrated modifications need to be made to the commanders to be in control of their respective fleets.

To me this seems most likely based on what we have seen.
I think that could be just as viable as a genetic defect that eventually gets an enhancement due to the fact that Zentraedi seem to not know much of genetics, as they were made for war. Could be whatever genetic mistakes were made after the Protoculture disappeared, the cloning process would just replicate it over and over, and they would just have to install implants and the sort to correct the problems.
The thing I can't reconcile about the defect theory is that if it appeared while the Protoculture were still around, presumably they would fix the genetic code directly. If the defect started occurring after the Protoculture's disappearance my understanding is that the Zentradi would be unable to design and construct, or even modify, the device we see.

The thing I can't reconcile about the defect theory is that if it appeared while the Protoculture were still around, presumably they would fix the genetic code directly. If the defect started occurring after the Protoculture's disappearance my understanding is that the Zentradi would be unable to design and construct, or even modify, the device we see.

The only way the devices would be possible, is if they were already made by the Protoculture as general "prosthetics", items that could be used for Zentraedi that were injured in combat, and later used to fix defects. Like how a prosthetic arm will help someone who loses their arm in a battle, accident, or is born with the defect, the same prosthetic could work work for both. The idea of integrating commanders into their ships does seem more plausible, but perhaps there's more than one answer to this discussion.

The only way the devices would be possible, is if they were already made by the Protoculture as general "prosthetics", items that could be used for Zentraedi that were injured in combat, and later used to fix defects. Like how a prosthetic arm will help someone who loses their arm in a battle, accident, or is born with the defect, the same prosthetic could work work for both. The idea of integrating commanders into their ships does seem more plausible, but perhaps there's more than one answer to this discussion.

Good point.

I suppose there could be automated "medical" systems that could provide injured zentrans with customized prosthetics.