1 hour ago, azrael said:

CES is this week.

Nvidia launches the $349 GeForce RTX 2060
Comment: So it's $100 more at launch compared to a 1060 and only offers 1.5-2x the performance bump over a 1060. So, how is this better????

Dang!  Now I need that to come to laptop under $1500.  That card seems like a shot across the bow of AMD leading up to the debut of the next-gen consoles.

10 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

Dang!  Now I need that to come to laptop under $1500.  That card seems like a shot across the bow of AMD leading up to the debut of the next-gen consoles.

How about a Razer Blade 15 with RTX for $2300?

Or the Huawei Matebook 13 for $1000 (or discrete graphics model for $1300)

27 minutes ago, azrael said:

I wasn't aware of those Nvidia MX150 integrated graphics cards.

Very appealing since I don't do much high-end gaming and really only need something about as good as what a PS4 has inside.

4 hours ago, azrael said:

CES is this week.

Nvidia launches the $349 GeForce RTX 2060
Comment: So it's $100 more at launch compared to a 1060 and only offers 1.5-2x the performance bump over a 1060. So, how is this better????

I think we will have to wait and see what, if anything, Turing-based GPUs will offer. Right now, the software doesn't take full advantage of the hardware.

However, this isn't a bad upgrade. I think it's a good option for users who play the long game and like to hold onto their video cards and upgrade systems on a budget. This will be a good replacement for a GTX 960 or 970 for example. I expect the RTX 2060 may be one of the coolest, lowest noise parts of the RTX family, so for those looking to build custom systems for a specific purpose (like an HTPC or console PC), this iteration could be useful in that case too. 

As a side note, I think the RTX branding is confusing. I kind of understand why nVidia bumped the numbers one level for Turing, but I still feel like we have a fourth tier that is yet to be announced or that is missing. I don't know. It's tough to adapt to the new mantra of RTX 2060 = 1070, RTX 2070 = 1080, and RTX 2080 = 1080ti.

Edited by technoblue
fixed the mantra

1 hour ago, azrael said:

Intel's announcement.

Still a day late and $1 too expensive considering AMD is moving toward 7nm by this year(?) while Intel is just getting to 10nm. The highlight seems to be updates to the U and Y-line of laptop CPUs. Feels like a "Meh".

Indeed. With Zen2 we might get an Athlon XP/AMD64 situation again, and I don't mind one bit. For the sake of healthy competition, though, I hope Intel can get some traction this year. The last thing I want to see is Sonny Cove falling off the ends of the earth like Cannon Lake.

I really don't get what's going on these days with Intel/Nvidia.  All I know is I've hung on with a Core i7, 16GB of DDR3, and a GeForce GTX 970 waiting for a bigger upgrade than the GTX 10-series.  And now that the RTX 20-series is here, it's kind of underwhelming unless you're hung up on ray tracing and priced like Nvidia thinks that crypto-bubble is gonna last forever.  And Intel's gone from unbeatable (if pricier) to watching AMD do all the innovation while they clutch their pearls and fret about ARM.  Between the two of them (and the price of RAM these days, ouch!) I've gone from planning my next PC build to just buying new games for PlayStation instead.

1 hour ago, technoblue said:

Indeed. With Zen2 we might get an Athlon XP/AMD64 situation again, and I don't mind one bit. For the sake of healthy competition, though, I hope Intel can get some traction this year. The last thing I want to see is Sonny Cove falling off the ends of the earth like Cannon Lake.

Gamers Nexus did an interview with... either an industry analyst or an Intel engineer, I forget... where the point was made that Intel's manufacturing process refinements are such that others' 7nm is roughly equivalent in efficiency/density/etc. to their 10nm. That said, IIRC it appears they're limiting their 10nm chips to very select-use cases and are already well on their way to developing 7nm chips themselves, either by way of partnering with Global Foundries/TSMC or by creating all-new facilities of their own.

Anyone care to explain what that "3D layering" thing is they were crowing about? Something about mixing up different processing nodes? Seems to be the same as AMD's approach and/or an expansion on it.

Anyway, with their newfound interest in GPU tech, along with AMD's upcoming Zen 2/Vega 7nm/Picasso releases, I have to imagine that the APU, NUC, SoC, etc. markets will be seeing some major improvements in the next year or so. I'm cautiously excited.

10 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Gamers Nexus did an interview with... either an industry analyst or an Intel engineer, I forget... where the point was made that Intel's manufacturing process refinements are such that others' 7nm is roughly equivalent in efficiency/density/etc. to their 10nm.

That's certainly Intel's story.

I still love watching AMD slap Intel around, though. Be nice if they start doing the same to nVidia... if nVidia can take a break from slapping themselves around.

8 hours ago, JB0 said:

That's certainly Intel's story.

I still love watching AMD slap Intel around, though. Be nice if they start doing the same to nVidia... if nVidia can take a break from slapping themselves around.

Well, the performance numbers seem to bear it out, too. Now obviously it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but the fact that their 14nm(++) chips outperform AMD/TSMC's 12nm chips speaks to the refinement of their manufacturing process. Their chips can still clock higher, still have better IPC, etc. Not by a huge margin, mind, but still it's measurable. If AMD can shrink that margin even more with Zen 2, and all indications point to that being the case, that would REALLY put the screws to Intel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 12:25 AM, jenius said:

Hey guys, I'm fishing for help with an issue I'm having on my main workstation. I have a USB-C card reader connected to the USB-C port on the back of an X399 Designare motherboard. Theoretically, this should allow really snappy transfer rates. The card reader is pricey, states it needs no special drivers, and there are plenty of Amazon reviews documenting blazing fast transfer speeds. I have an SD memory card from my camera that is UHSII and states transfer rates of up to 200mb/s. My transfer rates for my 4K videos are pretty consistently 40mb/s. I've checked the drivers, everything says it's current. I tried plugging into the USB-C port in my graphics card and got the same results. I find it hard to believe it's a problem with the chipset on the Deisgnare because I don't see complaints online. I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

An update on this. When I view the video off the SD card and then transfer it to my computer, the write speeds are crazy fast, like 1GB/s. If I just cold grab a file from the SD and bring it over, it's 30MB/s. Curious.

Stumbled upon this video of a young man cleaning a newer Nvidia chip and fixing a video card by replacing memory chips.  First off, I had no idea people actually repaired electronics on this level.  He obviously has skills and the time necessary - 3 hours to arrange the little soldering balls!  I find the whole video mesmerizing:

• 5 months later...

So AMD as released 3rd gen Ryzen and RX 5700 today.....

Unfortunately, I'm not updating my main system since I just updated but my secondary box is due to an update. Looks like I'm updating that box to Team Green (or is it Team Red).

I'm still running the "Home Theater Build" that I made back from 2012!  That was my first major upgrade after leaving online gaming.  I've only had to replace a power supply since then.  I'm still running a Sapphire Radeon HD 7770.  We're not Team Red anymore?

1 hour ago, azrael said:

So AMD as released 3rd gen Ryzen and RX 5700 today.....

Unfortunately, I'm not updating my main system since I just updated but my secondary box is due to an update. Looks like I'm updating that box to Team Green (or is it Team Red).

With the price drop the new Radeons seem like a good buy, but I'm probably going to spend a little more for a GTX 2070 Super.

4 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

With the price drop the new Radeons seem like a good buy, but I'm probably going to spend a little more for a GTX 2070 Super.

Judging by the reactions...Feature set favors Nvidia. Price/Performance is favoring AMD now. I'll probably look at the RTX 2070 Super myself but it seems budget options would favor RX 5700 now.

My new build (coming when Win7 is totally killed off, support-wise) will reuse my 1080, as it's by far the newest (and most expensive) part of this build.  Maybe re-use PSU.  Everything else new though.   Been leaning towards the Corsair Spec Omega RGB, in white, for the case:

11-139-121-V01.jpg

31 minutes ago, DewPoint said:

Rainbow lighting is the current fad.  Make sure you won't regret it three years from now.  Then again, you can just get a new case when the time comes.

Well, that answers a question I had.  I was a bit confused when I set up my first new gaming rig in years and every peripheral that I'd bought for it treated me to a technicolor light show on startup.  (They're all Logitech G w/ Lightsync hardware.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

2 hours ago, DewPoint said:

Rainbow lighting is the current fad.  Make sure you won't regret it three years from now.  Then again, you can just get a new case when the time comes.

Fad? No, it's a fulfillment of a decade-long attempt to get just the color I want.  I don't use RGB to have "all the colors" or cycle through a unicorn rainbow show, I use it because it's friggin impossible to get "Decepticon purple" accents any other way.  (Trust me, I've bought every "purple" LED in existence)    Black/purple/silver or black/purple/red are my main combo/goals    (With silver/red being very minor accents)    

That, and/or a TNG LCARS palette/look.

(Cylon/KITT red sweeps also an option) 

Will do, once I get that case.   My current setup mainly uses purple Corsair fans for light-color, (the ONLY purple LED I've ever found that looks good) but as they are simple "speed=brightness" fans, and I keep them low/quiet, it's pretty dim most of the time.  I have learned some things from this build though:

1.   Purple light over darker surfaces is nigh-invisible.  Will have a LOT more white/silver parts inside next time.  My second-to-last upgrade for this build was more RAM----and I bought white ones this time for that reason----and they look a whole lot more purple when lit, than my purple RAM does!

2.   Purple objects only look purple with white light on them.  I custom-painted a lot of parts purple (like RAM!), but you'd never know it.

Thus, to have a "Decepticon purple glow" theme (think WfC/FoC)----it's very hard to do it in black, and you really need a decent amount of white.  

On 7/7/2019 at 8:18 PM, David Hingtgen said:

My new build (coming when Win7 is totally killed off, support-wise) will reuse my 1080, as it's by far the newest (and most expensive) part of this build.  Maybe re-use PSU.  Everything else new though.   Been leaning towards the Corsair Spec Omega RGB, in white, for the case:

11-139-121-V01.jpg

What are you going to use after Windows 7?

4 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Win10.  <_<

Is that a happy smile or concerned / worried look? Most people that are still on Windows 7 are there because they don't want to bother with Windows 10.