Are there any good photoshop type apps for the android out there? I want to work on my last coverart while on the vanpool to work and don't want to have to drag my whole laptop along, any ideas? Will need to be able to work in layers, color, resize elements, etc... Is there a gimp for android?

Dunno how good it is, but there's a Photoshop Express app for Android.

Are there any good photoshop type apps for the android out there? I want to work on my last coverart while on the vanpool to work and don't want to have to drag my whole laptop along, any ideas? Will need to be able to work in layers, color, resize elements, etc... Is there a gimp for android?

Not sure how much you need to do with PS-Express for Android but this is what it can do

Snap. Edit. Share. Smile. Photo magic at your fingertips. 

On-the-go photo editing was never so fun, fast, and cool. Touch your way to better-looking pictures with automatic fixes and filters. Get your pictures to pop! And after sharing, you’ll be the talk of your friends. 

Get more of what you want: 

•Basics: Crop, straighten, rotate, and flip your photos. Remove red eye, and pet eye.

•Auto-Fix: A one-touch adjustment for contrast, exposure, and white balance. 

•Blemish Removal: With one touch, remove spots, dirt, and dust from your photos.

•Color: Slide controls for clarity, contrast, exposure, highlights, shadows, temperature, tint, sharpen and vibrance. 

•One-touch filters “Looks”: Choose from more than 20 eye-catching effects! And now control the intensity of Looks.

•New image rendering engine improves performance and enables handling of large file sizes – i.e. panoramic photos.

•Borders: Add a distinctive personal touch to your photos with 15 borders and frames. Express yourself!

•RAW photo support: Import and edit photos in RAW format.

•Share to all your favourite social sites: Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Adobe Revel and more. 

•One place for all your photos: Upload your photos to private albums in Revel to view and share memories across devices. Upgrade to Revel Premium after 30 days to get unlimited photo & video imports - just $5.99/month.

•Add the Premium Looks pack to give your photos fun, fresh looks with 20 new one-touch filters.*

•Add the Advanced Paid Pack (formerly called Noise Reduction Pack). This pack includes:

-Noise Reduction to minimize unwanted grain and speckling in your night photos.

-Defog to reduce fog and haze from photos.*

Photoshop Express supports the following file formats:

•Photo: JPG, PNG

•Raw files: arw (SONY), cr2 (CANON), crw (CANON), dng, erf (EPSON), raf (FUJI), 3fr & fff (HASSELBLAD), dcr (KODAK), mrw (KONICA), mos (LEAF), rwl (LEICA), nef & nrw (NIKON), orf (OLYMPUS), rw2 (PANASONIC), pef (PENTAX), srw (SAMSUNG)

There's also GIMP Inkscape

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.gimp.inkscape

Two graphics editors, ported from PC. You will need mouse, stylus, or 10” screen to use them.

This app downloads 270 Mb of data, requires 700 Mb device storage (750 Mb for Intel devices), and cannot be moved to SD card.

GIMP is an advanced picture editor, suitable for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.

Inkscape is a vector graphics editor, which has everything needed to create professional-quality computer art. Inkscape does not work on Lollipop.

They both support stylus pressure. In Inkscape, you will need to enable Android touchscreen in File → Input Devices (see screenshots).

For best results, also enable Windows → Single Window Mode in GIMP.

Press Back key to show keyboard.

To send right mouse click - touch screen with two fingers, or press a button on your stylus.

To send middle mouse click - touch screen with three fingers, this will drag/scroll image in Gimp.

If you have Menu key, you can use it to undo last action.

If Open or Save dialog is frozen - open the keyboard using Back key, and press Enter or Esc key, you have to do that only once. If your keyboard does not have Esc key - install Hacker's Keyboard.

Finger hover is supported. If you have Galaxy S4/Note 3 device, enable AirView in system settings to use it.

To make all buttons bigger, and make it draw faster, select smaller display resolution during app start.

If you have Error -24 when installing this app - install this version (it's the same app with different name):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libsdl-android/files/apk/XServer-XSDL/GIMP-Inkscape-xx-2.8.2.14.apk

Do not uninstall this app - you will not be able to install it again, because of a bug in Android: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=68310

Clear app data instead to save space - long-press app icon in drawer, drag it to App Info icon, and select Clear data.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone hear have a Surface Pro 3?

I have an iPad, and I like it for all the things that a tablet does well (like couch/bed/bathroom surfing), but I'd never say it's a PC replacement. I'm used to taking it and a laptop with me when I travel, and at home I'll sometimes find myself putting the iPad down, going to my basement man-cave, and getting on my desktop because whatever I wanted to do was just easier to do on a PC.

I've been seeing ads lately for the Surface Pro 3, and it's got a lot of features I'd like in a laptop (touchscreen, lightweight, that pen, etc). As a tablet, though, I'm wondering if it's quick enough, too big, or too heavy. Articles that compare the Surface Pro 3 and the iPad seem focused more on business productivity or technical specs. But if I'm debating on whether or not to sell my iPad to buy one, I kind of want a better impression of the experience. Like, how is it for quickly looking up that guy in the show you're watching because you know you've seen him in something else but can't remember what? Or jotting down a quick note because you want to try a different build in Gundam Breaker and need your current stats handy to compare? Or (dare I admit it) playing Candy Crush Soda Saga while dropping a deuce?

^^^^I'll be watching this topic as well, since I find myself enjoying the portability and the small form factor of the iPad 2 like Mike, but find it inadequate from time to time, leaving me to stomp off to my overgrown laptop...

Edited by myk

Don't have a Surface but I have often felt the limitations of my iPad compared to my laptop and desktop. They've been marketing the Surface Pro 3 against the Macbook Air which is probably going to be a better comparison. Both the Surface Pro 3 and iPad can be the bathroom computer (ewwwwwww). A Surface will undoubtedly be a better traveling computer than the iPad (though, with the right apps and accessories, the iPad could be one too) because it's basically a laptop without a real keyboard (i.e. a hybrid). The iPad will be just as good if your working from cloud-based solutions. When I business travel, there's no question in my head, I'm bringing the laptop. IMO, if this thought is running through your head, then perhaps the Surface would be the best choice as a replacement. Outside of this question, it gets murky.

Don't have a Surface but I have often felt the limitations of my iPad compared to my laptop and desktop. They've been marketing the Surface Pro 3 against the Macbook Air which is probably going to be a better comparison. Both the Surface Pro 3 and iPad can be the bathroom computer (ewwwwwww). A Surface will undoubtedly be a better traveling computer than the iPad (though, with the right apps and accessories, the iPad could be one too) because it's basically a laptop without a real keyboard (i.e. a hybrid). The iPad will be just as good if your working from cloud-based solutions. When I business travel, there's no question in my head, I'm bringing the laptop. IMO, if this thought is running through your head, then perhaps the Surface would be the best choice as a replacement. Outside of this question, it gets murky.

Yeah, I think it looks like a fantastic laptop replacement. Much more portable than my gaming laptop, much more powerful than my portable laptop. But my iPad is the right size for couch/bed surfing, casual gaming, or reading comic books. The longish (not as good as my ol' iPad 3) battery life and fantastic standby time make it a great instant-on-instant-off sort of device. I think that the Surface's full version of Windows, the i5 processor (in the one I'm looking at), the stylus, larger size, USB port, microSD slot, and optional-but-not-really-optional TypeCover will make the Surface a fantastic laptop replacement/productivity device, but those same strengths will make it less appealing as a screwing around tablet device and that ultimately I might not be happy selling my iPad over it.

I've been considering getting one for my wife so I've been to best buy to handle it a few times. I've been very impressed with it. I find it pretty easy to switch between apps and I like using the pen. I've only handled it in store so my experience is limited, but from what I've been able to do the iPad seems a little better for raw entertainment and randomly carry around the house, but not exceedingly so. I wouldn't be unhappy at all with the Surface (I do intend on buying it for my wife), but I don't think I'd have the same ease of use I have with the ipad.

Today was the last day of 18-month financing with the Best Buy credit card, so I bit the bullet and went to buy one. They were out and had to order it, so I won't get the unit itself for a couple days yet (current estimate is the 7th). I did come home with the TypeCover and a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse.

Since I financed it, selling my iPad is now more of a "if I want to" than a "need to sell if I want to afford the Surface." Still planning to dump at least one of my laptops, though.

Anyway, after it comes and I get a chance to play with it, I'll let you know what I think, myk.

Does any one know how to remove Optimum PC Boost (Malware) from a computer or could you direct me to a sight to find information on it?

Here you go.

If anyone is looking to buy a 64GB OnePlus One mobile phone, https://oneplus.net/, I have a 64GB invite up for grabs, 1st to PM me and it's yours.

Oh man, that is so tempting. I think a few months ago I wouldn't have hesitated, but right now I'm leaning more toward the Nexus 6.

Anyone know the specs you need to play 4K video aside from a 4K monitor? Would the integrated graphics on say a i5 4690 be enough or would you need a dedicated gpu?

For video playback only? Sure. Any modern Intel integrated graphics solution should work well in your scenario. The comparable i7 4790K gives you Hyperthreading and more L3 cache, which is nice for multitasking.

I would recommend a dedicated GPU as a good choice only if you are interested in PC gaming at 4K resolutions.

Anyone know the specs you need to play 4K video aside from a 4K monitor? Would the integrated graphics on say a i5 4690 be enough or would you need a dedicated gpu?

I would also use the HDMI plug for the best results (or DisplayPort if you have it).

Well... my Surface Pro arrived.

This thing definitely isn't an iPad replacement (although it does have me thinking about replacing my iPad Air with an iPad mini). In tablet mode, it's significantly bigger (although not that much thicker). And while it's not super heavy, the weight being spread out over a larger area makes its weight more noticeable. Navigating with a finger isn't bad if you're using a Metro/Modern app, but it can be tricky in desktop mode. On the plus side, though, comic book files and PDFs look pretty fantastic on the Surface's screen. The Surface Pen can be pretty handy, too. The handwriting recognition is pretty solid in general, but it's got some special tricks for the included OneNote app that have me thinking I'll probably use it for planning my D&D sessions. To be clear, the Surface Pro 3 isn't a bad tablet, it's just a little awkward compared to an iPad.

On the other hand, though, it's a fantastic laptop, as long as you don't mind investing in a few accessories. The TypeCover is pretty much a must. It's a little pricey, but it's backlit, and I've found that I have no trouble touch typing on it. The trackpad on it is serviceable, and there's always the touchscreen, but a bluetooth mouse is cheap enough that you might as well grab one of those, too.

Speaking of bluetooth, a PS4 controller will pair wirelessly without any special tools. Simply open the bluetooth settings on the Surface, then hold down the Share and Home buttons on the PS4 controller until it starts blinking. It'll show up as "Wireless Controller" and work as a Direct Input device. For a little added functionality, you can download a program called "DS4Windows." Simply run it after your controller is paired and it will make the PS4 contoller appear as an XInput device (like an Xbox Controller). The touch pad on the controller even works! Aside from using it for some games and emulators that the Surface can run on its own, if you have a dedicated gaming computer you can use Steam's in-home streaming to stream games to the Surface.

Oh, and if your PS4 controller starts to get low on power? There's a USB port on the Surface's power brick you can use to charge it up.

The Surface also supports wireless display and Miracast, which is kind of nice.

I'm still not sure about the battery life. I charged it fully, then used it on the battery from 4:00 in the afternoon until around 10:00, and it was down to around 30%. I charged it overnight, then used it sporadically (I'm sick, so I've been sleeping a lot today) from the time I got up until around 5:00, and it was down to 50%. Power usage is going to increase or decrease between using it for Office, web surfing, or gaming. I think you could get through a work day on battery, but if you're going to play you'll probably want to be near an outlet.

At the end of the day, it's hard for me to say if I'd recommend the Surface Pro 3 or not. For what it costs to get the Surface and the TypeCover, you can probably buy a cheaper laptop and an iPad mini 2. The iPad's still more convenient for random couch surfing, and as I noted there are cheaper laptops. Still, if you don't mind a few trade offs, the Surface Pro 3 is solid laptop that can pull double duty as an adequate tablet, and is a great choice for people looking for a single portable device when they're traveling.

Well... my Surface Pro arrived.

That's why it's advertised against the Macbook Air and not the iPad.

When the Surface Pro 3 (or was it the Surface Pro 2) was announced, something that was pointed out was the price tag, without the TypeCover. I found it odd MS is advertising it against a laptop without a keyboard component and then charge your extra for the keyboard which is featured it the commercials and is somewhat needed for actual usage.

Been spending a lot of time with the Surface Pro 3. In fact, I spent almost the whole day using it as a tablet.

Now again, I still don't see this as matching the iPad when it comes to sheer convenience as a tablet (and as Az pointed out, Microsoft doesn't really market it that way). It's a shade too big, and battery life is nowhere near where it needs to be. I went to bed with it at or near 100% and woke up this morning to 77%. Spent most of the day on the internet with it, and by 4:30 I was below 20%.

However, the more I use the Surface, the more I love it. Yeah, Windows isn't always the most finger-friendly OS in desktop mode, but the screen is precise enough that it's not exactly difficult to get around with your finger, either. Then there's the pen, if you want some added precision. Indeed, the Surface has a keyboard for handwriting recognition if you don't want to type on the on-screen keyboard, and it's pretty fantastic.

But mostly what I love about it is the sheer power. Sure, maybe it's a little bigger and less finger-friendly than an iPad, but it's a whole frickin' PC, capable of doing just about anything a PC can. Want to watch the free Hulu videos on a tablet but don't have a Hulu+ sub? Surface Pro. Can't watch Escapist videos on an iPad because they want you to pay a sub for MP4 versions? Surface Pro. Want to download a video that's weird format? Install VLC on your Surface Pro. Play your favorite SNES games? Use a PS4 controller and an emulator on your Surface Pro. Real PC gaming? Well, the Surface Pro can play some stuff on it's own, like Civ V (which even has a neat touchscreen mode). If you're like me, though, you probably already have a custom-built gaming desktop... which you can then set up to do Steam in-home streaming, allowing the gaming rig to do the heavy lifting while you game away on your Surface Pro.

Speaking of my gaming desktop... I have three physical drives in it. The biggest, a 3TB, is just for bulk storage. I created folders for the usual Windows stuff like Download, Music, Documents, and Pictures, then told Windows to use them as the default locations for the libraries so I wasn't cluttering up my SSD. Now, I made sure that those folders were shared with full read/write access with my Homegroup, then made sure that my always-on desktop and my Surface Pro are on the same Homegroup. Now I can use the Surface Pro's internal storage for files I'll need with me when I'm out of the house, but if I don't need a file on the go the Surface Pro can use my desktop's bulk storage. This also has the added benefit of keeping the majority of my files in one place, so I don't have to remember which computer I saved a file on.

I think it's fair to say that the Surface Pro 3 is pretty great. I think the tougher question, though, is whether or not it's the right device for you. Pretty much any other tablet is going to be cheaper and more comfortable to use as a tablet. Likewise, you can get Windows laptops for a lot less, too. You'd be hard-pressed to find a laptop this portable, though, especially one that doesn't make compromises like an Atom CPU. If you think of the Surface Pro as an Ultrabook with a few tricks that set it apart, then the Surface Pro is a very appealing device. And if you're in the market for an Ultrabook that can perform double-duty as a tablet with a few compromises, then you'll probably love the Surface Pro 3.

I do.

Thanks for sharing your experiences Mike. Your report confirms my thoughts about the iPad, Surface and full blown PC's...

Thanks for sharing your experiences Mike. Your report confirms my thoughts about the iPad, Surface and full blown PC's...

You've got me curious now, what thoughts? Are you more inclined to get one, or less?

I have to say, when I bought the Surface I expected that it'd become my daily driver PC-wise, but it didn't seem like I'd give up my iPad over it, and I expected that I'd still have to so some stuff on my desktop. I have to say, though, after a couple days the only time I've used my iPad is for reading ebooks in bed (something that would actually be more comfortable on a smaller, inexpensive Android tablet or an iPad mini). I haven't missed any of my iOS games or apps, and web browsing, even in tablet mode, has been fine on the Surface. Likewise, once I set up a Homegroup to give the Surface access to most of my desktop's files and bulk storage, I haven't set foot in my man cave.

anyone keeping up with the CES show going on 1/6-1/9?

*raises hand* The con actually started on Sunday with the pre-show. There haven't been any attention grabbers this year. Just a lot of makers doubling-down on certain product classes. Lots of "smart" products. More TVs entering the 4K HD-range.

*raises hand* The con actually started on Sunday with the pre-show. There haven't been any attention grabbers this year. Just a lot of makers doubling-down on certain product classes. Lots of "smart" products. More TVs entering the 4K HD-range.

This, pretty much. I've been following coverage, but I'm not seeing anything mind-blowing. In fact, the biggest tech story so far is probably the new MacBook Air, and that's just rumor. And the only reason why it's getting so much attention is because it's rumored to have nothing but a headphone jack and a single USB type C port (one port for charging, peripherals, and an external display).

Guest davidwhangchoi

yeah i was reading up on CES but nothing got my attention.

i wonder if those audiophiles going to grab that 1200 walkman :lol:

more than 4k, i hope oled get refined and real cheap soon. damn those blue pixels have a short lifespan..

i'll stick with my kuro plasma another year..

Edited by davidwhangchoi

And the only reason why it's getting so much attention is because it's rumored to have nothing but a headphone jack and a single USB type C port (one port for charging, peripherals, and an external display).

that sounds absolutely retarded.

i wonder if those audiophiles going to grab that 1200 walkman :lol:

and so does this.

that sounds absolutely retarded.

Actually that simplifies the number of ports and other headaches USB has caused. It also reduces the number of cables (a charging cable, a data cable, a power adapter cable, a display cable, etc). USB3 Type-C cables also are reversible and small. So no more "Which way do I put this in?"-questions.

Actually that simplifies the number of ports and other headaches USB has caused. It also reduces the number of cables (a charging cable, a data cable, a power adapter cable, a display cable, etc). USB3 Type-C cables also are reversible and small. So no more "Which way do I put this in?"-questions.

I gotta side with other Mike on this one.

Don't get me wrong, replacing a myriad of ports with a single, reversible standard isn't a bad idea, per se. Only including one of said port, though, seems a little ridiculous.

I gotta side with other Mike on this one.

Don't get me wrong, replacing a myriad of ports with a single, reversible standard isn't a bad idea, per se. Only including one of said port, though, seems a little ridiculous.

I was arguing more for the advantages of USB3 Type-C. The design is still a rumor so things could change. But it would be silly for Apple to remove every port.